Clayton Miller’s Unexplained Death

Clayton Miller


Clayton Miller was just seventeen years old in 1990 when he was invited to a “bush party” in a wooded area in New Waterford, Nova Scotia. The place was nicknamed “The Nest” by locals and was a well known spot for drinking and partying. As the night unfolded local police orchestrated a raid on the party goers. Most of the kids scattered as the police gave chase. Miller was seen by witnesses running, then he lost his hat and turned around to chase it down. He was officially never seen alive again.

Two days later Miller’s body was found close to “The Nest”. His face was submerged in a shallow stream. The police ruled his death to be an accidental drowning. Alarms were raised though as his body showed no signs of predators having disturbed it, not even insect bites. Plus he has a wound on his forehead that no one could explain. Clayton also had several teeth knocked out and his elbows were dislocated. On top of all that, the police didn’t protect the crime scene and may have allowed footprints or other clues to be destroyed accidentally. Witnesses came forward who claimed that Miller’s body had not been in the stream a day earlier. Another party attendee claimed to have seen Miller lying unconscious at the police station. At least one person was heard to have been bragging about beating up “a kid” at the party. On top of everything else, after an autopsy was performed Clayton’s brain disappeared.

Miller’s family heavily suspect the police knew more than they revealed at the time, and 25 years after the fact the family was still attempting to use threats of a civil lawsuit to force the police to expose the truth. The police declared in 2015 that they could find no evidence of foul play in Miller’s death. The controversy remains alive.

Diane Brand and Rosemary Morton 
I recently stumbled upon this sad case by accident and was unable to pull up much information on it. I feel it warrants induction in this series though:

On June 6th of 1947 the Massillon Hospital in Massillon, Ohio was thrown into a panic when two babies, 9-week-old Rosemary Morton and 8-week-old Diane Brand were found murdered in the infants ward. They had been beaten to death. A nurse was on duty and had been checking in on the babies every fifteen minutes. They were fine at 7:30 p.m. but were found dead at 7:45, leaving only a small window for the killer to have made their move.

Early on the police suspected a “insane person” had somehow found their way into the ward and killed the babies. That theory ended up going by the wayside and the prominent suspects became a trio of young boys who were in a room close to the infants ward. A number of hospital staff also came under suspicion. No one was ever charged with the crime.

Santos Ramos 
Bolivia, Mexico, Peru and Guatemala are among the Latin American countries where lynching remains a viable form of social justice, almost always free from prosecution due to various reasons. Bolivia even passed a law in 2009 that gave their indigenous people the right to administer their own brand of justice. Lynch mobs can lead to swift “justice” or sometimes horrible errors in judgement as you’ll see in this pair of stories:

Santos Ramos was a teenager living in the sparsely populated Quechua village when word spread that he had raped and murdered one of the local women. A group containing around two-hundred people hunted down Ramos. He was kidnapped, tied up and taken to the victim’s funeral. With the woman, Leandra Janco, lying in state the villagers used the empty hole that was intended for her casket to toss Ramos in. He was then covered him with dirt, which suffocated him. The villagers blocked the authorities from any rescue attempts.

In a far more tragic case, Jesus Moreno was working at his job as a grave digger in Lima, Peru when five men who were visiting a tomb noticed him. They thought Moreno was attempting to rob a grave and they ended up attacking him and beating him to death.

Robert Hollis 
Robert Hollis was just about the most helpless victim a perp could hunt for. Hollis was seventy-five years old, lived alone and was partially blind. Sometime in late May or early June in 2015, someone broke into his apartment. They didn’t take any valuables that were in his home, but they did murder the old man and then decapitated him and took his head with them as a grisly souvenir. His son found his father’s remains on June 4th while doing a wellness check. The mayor of Inglewood helped set up a $50,000 reward for information that could lead to solving the murder, but as the one year anniversary recently came and went, no one has been arrested for the crime. Mr. Hollis’ head was never recovered.

Last October, I brought you the story of Father Oschwald and the Salvatorians. This religious group came to Wisconsin in the late 1800’s in search of religious freedom and ended up establishing a town. The land where they built large building and churches remains a popular place for urban legends of ghosts to this day. I personally visited the area and shared my experiences as well as the legends that have spread. Since then I have remained diligent in searching for more information and have discovered some images of the founder, Oschwald, lying in state as well as an image from when his body was taken from it’s tomb in the mid-20’s and moved to a new tomb. The body proved to be well preserved, even after a fifty-year period since his death.

To see the new images and some updated information please check out the article JFK Prep.

Thanks for reading! I’ll be back with more cases soon!

I have written about nearly 100 other True Crime cases in the past, those can be found here.

You can also check out my daily paranormal and true crime news round up at the After Dark Radio Facebook page. Give us a “Like”!


Written by Andrew Lutzke

The grumpy old man of, lover of wrasslin' and true crimes.

Leave a Reply