Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

AEW During the Pandemic (3/11/20 till ?????)

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When every major sports league was unwilling to run this risk and even WWE isn't doing this (yet!) AEW deserves to be called out for putting people at risk. Can't wait for someone to get COVID at a show and a Dama to tweet about it being an honor.

Broward83

Integral Poster
Reaction score
When every major sports league was unwilling to run this risk and even WWE isn't doing this (yet!) AEW deserves to be called out for putting people at risk. Can't wait for someone to get COVID at a show and a Dama to tweet about it being an honor.
I had tickets for the Houston show that was originally scheduled for May, then rescheduled for November. I just recently decided to get a refund because there's no way I'm about to possibly catch Covid in the hotspot that is Houston while attending a fucking wrestling show.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
No comment on Brodie Lee ending Cody's run of trying to make stars out of indy darlings? Cody doing a stretcher job from a power bomb and lariat seems silly in the age of wrestlers no selling shotgun blasts to the face each week only to lose to a cradle.

Cody says he's not a heel or a face, but then did some ultimate babyface beat down booking here. Dusty would be proud.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
They've gone from being aloof to full awareness of how they're a joke promotion, based on the recaps. But what do I know? I didn't come up with Evil Darby.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Dusty and Ivan Koloff had a great one in Chicago in '81.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Haven't watched Dynamite yet but there's going to be a Jericho/Cassidy rubber match at All Out dubbed the "Mimosa Mayhem Match". I don't know if he meant this as a rib but apparently the only way to win is by throwing your opponent in a huge vat of mimosa. I wish I was joking.

Last edited:

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank god for all that creative freedom.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Again I reiterate. AEW creative are numbskulls who can't adapt to mainstream audience. A Mimosa Mayhem Match is cute as a mid-card match on an episode of Uncharted Territory from the White Eagle Polish American Hall in Worcester but as semi-main event for the #2 promotion in North America? Do they really think Joe Casual Fan thinks this is cool, funny or interesting? Look I love Orange Cassidy and I try really hard not to be a Cornette type but DO BETTER, AEW CREATIVE!

Valeyard

Reaction score
I feel like they absolutely draw in the casuals with Elite infighting, Cody promos about Cody, and Jericho trying to meme himself.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Ok so just watched Dynamite:

Mimosa Mayhem Match aside, I mostly enjoyed everything else. Ricky Starks is a good promo and I enjoyed Brodie destroying Cody. How long has Veda Scott been with the company? Don't recall her before last night.

Thunder Rosa is a good signing but is this just some cross-promotion with NWA?

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Ok so just watched Dynamite:

Mimosa Mayhem Match aside, I mostly enjoyed everything else. Ricky Starks is a good promo and I enjoyed Brodie destroying Cody. How long has Veda Scott been with the company? Don't recall her before last night.

Thunder Rosa is a good signing but is this just some cross-promotion with NWA?

Veda was doing commentary for the women's tag tournament, so they brought her, and Shul (doing ring announcing), to TV for the final.

The show was pretty solid over all. I'm on the fence with Mimosa thing. They've done stuff that sounded bad on paper (Cody/Jericho contract signing, Orange/Jericho debate, MJF politacl press conference), and they've all delivered very well.

Ricky Starks is amazing. I love that signing. He's so good.

I don't think Thunder Rosa is signed, just bringing her in for the match. I'd actually like to see her win the match to make it interesting.

Cody being squashed was pretty great. It really got Dark Order over. I think if Covid didn't screw things up and thrust Brodie into a World Title match, this would have been the perfect payoff for him and looking like a beast. I'm very interested to see where this goes.

The tag title scene is solid right now. I like the story of FTR and Tully. They explained why they were together, which is good. Their match with Private Party was very good. They forced PP to slow down, which they needed to do. A much better match from PP than we've seen since their match with The Bucks.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Some NBA-TNT crossover (also probably a good sign AEW isn't going anywhere even with the regime change):

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It'd be nice if AEW postponed their show tonight in solidarity with NBA and NHL but like THAT is going to happen. I'd be happy if we got anything more than a "RACISM IS WRONG, EVERYONE! My WIFE IS BLACK!" speech from Cody! I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't even get that and it was just a normal episode of Dynamite.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Inner Circle being hockey scabs would rule, I must say.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
I really wish Tony Kahn didn't discover multi-person tags. I don't get it. They didn't hardly ever do them in the first 8 months of the promotion. For the last month there is at least one on every show. And every damn time they suck. And there are more coming next week and at the ppv.

He's like a kid who just discovered something and now has to do it all the time.

Tino Standard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It seems like that’s their only solution for getting more people on every week while they only have one real TV show. I guess it’s better than a bunch of 90-second matches, but it would be nice to mix it up at least a little bit.

Unrelated... Was anybody else completely underwhelmed by having fans there? Other than the contract signing, I barely noticed a difference from what AEW had been doing. The lower-card talent at ringside has been making enough noise to provide an atmosphere to the point that I don’t think it’s worth the risk to add a few hundred fans, especially sitting 200 feet from the ring.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
There were a few times I thought it made the show better:

Mox's entrance was a lot better with even the limited fans.
During the contract signing there were 2 or 3 moments enhanced by some crowd chants.
During the tag match there were a few spots enhanced by some "young bucks" chants and some heat on FTR.

Overall, I would say it was a slight improvement to the atmosphere, but nothing major. But, this was just 10%. If it went well I think they are going to 15% next week. It wouldn't shock me to see them try and get to 20% for All Out. I think it will make quite a bit more difference if you get up to a little over 1,000 fans.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Really bad show tonight by normal standards. But, inexcusably bad when you consider it is the go home show to a ppv where they are alone on Wednesday night. This promotion really needs a different booker.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
There are too many gimmick matches at the PPV with stipulations that aren't explained. In addition to the "Mimosa Mayhem Match", we're getting a "Broken Rules" match and a "Tooth & Nail" match. I have a feeling they're going thr TNA (Russo) route of giving stupid names to basic gimmick matches (No DQ, Street Fight etc.)

At least they explained the rules in the former.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah this PPV just isn't it for me. It seems like it's Mox-MJF and Kenny/Hangman-FTR are the only PPV caliber matches and I don't really love the buildup for the tag title match. Everything else looks like something they would advertise around 9:40est for next week's Dynamite.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
My hope is the promotion will be in a much better place when they get to wherever they are going with Page/Omega/FTR/Bucks/Cody/Tully.

I'm hoping 2 of them (preferably Cody and Omega) turn strong heel. Page becomes a loner face and the Bucks face off with heel FTR.

But, right now it's a mess.