Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Matches You Didn't Think Existed

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I think Terry-Bradshaw was a team for maybe two weeks.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Yeah, a televised stretcher job for Quake would've been another good use of Garvin. Maybe that's what should've happened at WM 6. Have Hercules work a double countout or something with Warlord.
I'm 94% sure Garvin was one of Quake's early victims and likely sent him to jabroni purgatory.

Edit: Google says they met at MSG in Feb 90, so that is why I recall the Apter mags putting over Quake for injuring Garvin.

Bradshaw/Funk as a team made it to PPV IIRC . Funk "retired" in a promo next to Bradshaw and JBL had no idea it was coming storyline wise, so he attacked Funk later IIRC. Funk also had a brief partnership with 2 Cold Flash Funk Scorpio after the Foley heel turn. IIRC.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I thought they had a ppv match, or at least a preshow. I don't remember Bradshaw doing anything until that fun feud with him and Taka against Kaientai where he could embrace the Hansen cosplay.

I remember Funk and Scorpio got a small push. I liked them a lot and was so happy Scorpio was getting on TV.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Faarooq/Scorpio were a fun little team for a few weeks. Simmons would get the hot tag and Scorpio would finish their opponents off with the 450.

Also, there was this several years prior:

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score

I meant to post this a few weeks back when Kamala died but I forgot. WCW brought in the fake Kamala to lose to Erik Watts. This aired just four days before Kamala wrestled Taker at Survivor Series. Did Bill Watts know that the real Kamala was being pushed on WWF TV? Seems like something he would have wanted to avoid in his attempts to differentiate the companies. If I had seen this at the time I would have been incredibly confused.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
Also there's a promo with Hayes and Dangerously where they set the match up but I can't find it anymore.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Watts was one of the promoters to use old tapes of WWF guys losing to his current talent. Supposedly he even tried to pretend some of the matches were cross promoted or something. There was definitely a KK Bundy match that Watts used where Bundy had a much different look and Watts tried to pass it off as current.

WCCW did this in 86/87ish while trying to claim the WWF was sharing talent as the Ted Arcidi/Jimmy Jack Funk's of the world came to WCCW. It may have been a George Scott thing, but I'd have to double check my notes.

Was Kamala 2 the Botswana Beast? I can see WCW not wanting to put that racist of a name on their TV.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Yeah, Windham didn't bother with the whole Stalker getup at Survivor Series '96. I thought this was them repackaging him but then he was eliminated quickly and never seen again.

I thought the Stalker was so lame as a kid. His finisher was a superplex! Yawn!

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Look, if they didn't call him the Widow Maker in 1989 and the Stalker in 1996, the WWE Universe would've known he was Barry Windham of the former tag team champions, the US Express.

Valeyard

Reaction score
New Blackjacks were just ahead of their time.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Barry Windham seems like type of wrestler that is hard to mess up. You kind of just let him go and wrestle but then again "Just go and wrestle" types haven't been Vince's cup of tea since 1983.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Which just happens to be the year he inherited the company.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Having recently watched some Fall of '89 WWF, I will say that The Widowmaker really wasn't THAT horrible of a gimmick. Yeah, definitely a bit too goofy but it wouldn't crack my Top 20 Worst Gimmicks list. I feel like Barry would've definitely gotten a strong midcard push if not more if it wasn't such horrible timing RE: his dad and brother getting caught counterfeiting money or whatever they got in trouble for.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm guessing the brevity of the run is only reason why people think it was horrible. If it weren't for his legal troubles, it'd probably be in the same category as "King" Harley Race of kind of bad gimmicks instead of all time gimmicks like The Dragon.

I always thought it was funny that Steamboat kept most of the aspects of The Dragon gimmick when he went back to WCW. I like to think it was because Vince made him for the outfit and fire breathing lessons and he was like "Fuck it! I paid so much for these! I got to get some more use out of them!" Or maybe Ricky just thought fire breathing was really cool. Which it kind of was.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The fire breathing and costume wasn't bad. Refusing to use his name was, however, really fuckin dumb.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Vince was probably pissed Steamboat succeeded without him after he left the first time, so fuck your name. That or some legal thing with Steamboat's wife.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
Do we have any idea why Bad Company (Tanaka/Diamond version) worked Spring Stampede 94 in the dark match? Diamond's one and only WCW shot that year. Bad Company worked Public Enemy in 93/94ish ECW as well.
'
Maybe I will root around the WON later.
Observer doesn't really answer this but it does note that Diamond worked as "Haito," a gimmick he used a few times in WCW '94. I guess this was part of a storyline where Col. Parker was bringing in Japanese wrestlers to prepare Austin for his match with Muta. Anyway, Kato Haito and Tanaka teamed up again on the 4/23 episode of Saturday Night to lose to Steamboat and Anderson.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Ahhhh!!! I do remember that now! I searched for Paul Diamond on History of WWE's site, hence my failure.

November 18th 1988 NWA show must have had some travel issues as Stan Lane works TV champ Rotonda (no Bobby Eaton) and the main event is Sting and Luger vs. Flair and Animal (No Hawk). Edit: Eaton misses the next show too, so he may have just been ill or aching.

JR and Schiavone speculated on TV around this time that the Warriors may join the Horsemen with Arn and Tully gone.

Last edited: