Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Wrestling audio or podcasts

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Jericho’s latest WWE departure podcast released today with an interview with Hawkins and Ryder. Heard some positive things so far, including Ryder supposedly being the most open and honest he’s been on the brass ring topic, presumably with Hawkins there encouraging him.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I listened to the Cardona & Myers on Jericho podcast. Nothing new or groundbreaking but Did hear them a little more candid on topics they’ve tiptoed about in the past. It is funny though, I really only listened to the Moxley podcast and this one. Where Jericho was pretty good with Mox’s timelines and stories in WWE, he was really uniformed on Hawkins and Ryder and what they did when. Like he didn’t seem to realize they won the tag titles at last year’s Mania. Which is understandable because I don’t expect a casual viewer to know most of the non-tippy top guys in modern WWE booking.

Also as someone who has listened to very few episodes of Jericho’s podcast, that dumb, corny theme song has been stuck in my head.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm really enjoying OVP Retro Wrestling Podcast lately. I followed them on Twitter before listening to them because they post a bunch of cool "This Day in" history gifs. I reluctantly decided to give them a listen, kind of expecting the worst from a wrestling fans podcast but it is a really fun, breezy listen and nice distraction in these crazy times. It really feels like I'm listening to a discussion we would have IRL. Like on the last episode, they had a 20-30 minute discussion on whether or not Lord Alfred Hayes was an underrated color commentator. It's like old school wrestling deep cuts but not like 3+ hours long like I was dreading haha.

Any other recommendations along the same lines would be much appreciated.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Joey Janela is on the chain restaurant review podcast Doughboys this week.

This is a crosspost with the wrestling references in unexpected places thread.

LaParkaYourCar

I'm BACK!
Reaction score
King Mutumbo Classic said:
I'm really enjoying OVP Retro Wrestling Podcast lately. I followed them on Twitter before listening to them because they post a bunch of cool "This Day in" history gifs. I reluctantly decided to give them a listen, kind of expecting the worst from a wrestling fans podcast but it is a really fun, breezy listen and nice distraction in these crazy times. It really feels like I'm listening to a discussion we would have IRL. Like on the last episode, they had a 20-30 minute discussion on whether or not Lord Alfred Hayes was an underrated color commentator. It's like old school wrestling deep cuts but not like 3+ hours long like I was dreading haha.

Any other recommendations along the same lines would be much appreciated.

I haven't listened to OVP, but I listen to a few fan podcasts I love. I prefer ones that review old shows, as opposed to those that cover current wrestling.

OSW Review (It's more video, but they have audio versions), New Generation Project (They finished, but they have a large catalog), Attitude Era Podcast, Sultans of Spandex (They exclusively cover WCW), Golden Age of Grappling.

eviluno

New Poster Who'll Post A Lot
Reaction score
Hey LaParkaYourCar, sweet hang hombre

check out Kinda Fun on the LPN. I think you'll dig it the most

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Thought I was done listening to Bischoff's podcast since to me, it's not even a fun bad listen like STWW or Grillin' JR, it's just annoying with Bischoff bitterly griping about the dirt sheets...then I saw the new episode uploaded today is TNA Hardcore Justice 2010 and I'm back, baby!

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I've added John Arezzi's Wrestling Spotlight Then And Now to my podcast rotation. It's him and Brian Last listening to clips of his radio show from 30 years ago and commenting on them. Just what I like in rasslin podcasts; just fun, laid back non confrontational nostalgic discussion. It's also as fun as hell to hear what smarks of 1990 sounded like. And Meltz being more stumbly with words.

Although I wonder when young Vince Russo shows up on the show and attempts to hijack it.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
I'd say overall it's unlikely this will be worth anything. Herd is 81 years old and 30 years removed from even being in the biz in the least.

It will probably be some whimsical memories of Sam Muchnick and a overview of how he was hired to WCW and some very gentle prodding by Conrad over the Ding Dongs, Ole Anderson and Ric Flair rage quitting.

I am down to only listening to non TNA Bischoff shows and JR when they cover something other than 2000s WWF, even those are getting increasingly tedious as JR has about 5 stories he likes to repeat.

The ads, ads, ads are a killer, even with aggressive FFWD.

Conrad announced they are doing a hotline on top of the one off rebranded shoot interviews behind the paywall.

Even my beloved Corny is a pain to pound through at times as the NXT/AEW "rants" feel like an hour of white noise at this point after a year of hearing Jim breaking everything down. Corny is losing some of his liberal edge as his homophobic and anti-woman bias' are leaking though more and more. Fuck if Trump loses, Jim's going to have to find something else to fill 20 mins a podcast with.

Last edited:

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I will say Bischoff's podcast has gotten moderately better lately as he really seems like he's made a genuine effort to be less of a condescending prick. . Bruce's podcast has become the dud of the three Conrad podcasts to listen to as he's become really ornery and dismissive in the pandemic.

Tino Standard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I’m shocked that Bruce is still doing his pod with everything else he has going on now, especially with things constantly in flux because of the pandemic.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
I’m shocked that Bruce is still doing his pod with everything else he has going on now, especially with things constantly in flux because of the pandemic.
Conrad is bending over backward to do it whenever Bruce can ram it in. I listen to some of the YT clips and he's working around his VKM 18 hour a day WWE schedule. Supposedly with the download numbers, they are pulling in six figure ad revenue. I assume Bruce gets a flat rate from Conrad?
Bischoff revealed on his After 83 Weeks w/ Christy Olsen show that he's wasn't getting any of the YT revenue for his show.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It is obvious that him and even Conrad are just doing it for the paychecks at this point. Connie is audibly annoyed at Bruce’s obvious quarter assing a lot of these shows.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
It is obvious that him and even Conrad are just doing it for the paychecks at this point. Connie is audibly annoyed at Bruce’s obvious quarter assing a lot of these shows.

yeah. It hadn’t been a good show for a while now. Just feels like they’re obligated to put something out and the revenue is too good to just walk away from it. He’s no longer seems at all critical of WWF stuff and the shows are running way shorter... just as many ads though.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
FKA Curt Hawkins is debuting pilot episode for an ECW podcast today. First one is a panel discussion on Heat Wave '00 with Steve Corino, Justin Credible, Francine, and Nova.

Given that ECW mutants were such a staple of early IWC, I'm amazed that it's taken this long for a major (Brothers?) ECW retrospective podcast. I honestly thought Conrad would do an ECW podcast before he'd do one with JR and definitely before he'd do one from Arn.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I feel like '00 ECW isn't talked about a lot. I bet that podcast will be interesting if Justin Credible isn't tanked (or especially if he is?)

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Myers is a super ECW mark so he’s probably as good a host as any. Most of my gripes with him on the podcast with Ryder comes from how he talks over Ryder, which I don’t see him doing with these guests. He did a really good interview with Ethan Page without Ryder there so this could be interesting.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Nah, Ryder is such a weird man baby that I get it. The problem is Myers gets into that mode of high schooler who keeps making quips that people don’t find funny and it gets uncomfortable, especially because that Indy wrestler that produces them, Smart Mark Sterling totally plays the role of the underclassman trying too hard to impress the older kids.

Yet still, that show is probably the wrestling pod I’ve kept up with in the pandemic the most so I don’t know what that says about me.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's gotten noticeably worse since he started pimping the Ad Free Shows site. If it were a standard TV show, I'd complain about how many ads there were let alone a podcast.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
OK I think the intervention threads are justified now cause it is a slow day at work and listening to 83 Weeks on Starrcade ‘99 and REALLY enjoying it.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
True story: Starrcade '99 was the very last WCW PPV me and my brother ordered. He REALLY wanted to see it for whatever reason.

Maybe he was really into the WCW debut of DAFFNEY!