Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Sports Cards Hobby Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Bro those Maddux pick ups are as sweet as my urine tomorrow morning after I eat all this Halloween candy. I've had strangely decent luck grading out late 80s Maddux cards (mostly his Pre-Braves, Cubs stuff). My pal's son is a major 1990s Braves mark (he's a sports writer/historian in college) so anytime I pick up doubles on 90s Braves, especially in grading, I'll send him the extra. Really gracious guy.

On another strangely positive sports card note, for now, both my COMC.com July 20th order updated to "packaging" yesterday as well as my August 7 SGC grading submission moved to "Post Grading" status. I cant' get a clear answer on what exactly it means, but it's more than just "items received." Hopefully sometime in the early business days of next week I'll get further emails from both companies indicating shipping.

That said, my in person Brees auto that I sent to BAS to get graded, authenticated, and slabbed in June is still in the air. With every other BGS submission since Covid exploded.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Bro those Maddux pick ups are as sweet as my urine tomorrow morning after I eat all this Halloween candy. I've had strangely decent luck grading out late 80s Maddux cards (mostly his Pre-Braves, Cubs stuff). My pal's son is a major 1990s Braves mark (he's a sports writer/historian in college) so anytime I pick up doubles on 90s Braves, especially in grading, I'll send him the extra. Really gracious guy.

On another strangely positive sports card note, for now, both my COMC.com July 20th order updated to "packaging" yesterday as well as my August 7 SGC grading submission moved to "Post Grading" status. I cant' get a clear answer on what exactly it means, but it's more than just "items received." Hopefully sometime in the early business days of next week I'll get further emails from both companies indicating shipping.

That said, my in person Brees auto that I sent to BAS to get graded, authenticated, and slabbed in June is still in the air. With every other BGS submission since Covid exploded.
Great news on your orders/subs. Yeah, one of the Maddux's has a little touch of white on the back left corner (I think done after it was slabbed) but considering they're "paper" base from 1987 kept in who knows what condition prior to grading, that should be expected a bit. Both are super sharp on front and look exactly the same as PSA 10s, even on the back with the bottom edges fraying from pics I compared.

I think a lot of people who like to "bash" 10s looking like 9s tend to miss what the actual card is. A late 80s Rookie centered well will likely show more fraying/edge wear but be worth a 10 than a 2012 Topps Chrome base rookie card that has fraying/edge wear. The top fraying on this PSA 10 is how the bottom looks for my two cards. That's being listed by 4SharpCorners at a $105 BIN by the way.

s-l1600.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: SFH

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Really fascinating just looking at what I call 10-15 Year "Index Fund" cards could've gotten you. Let's say you 'sold' these in February or March 2020 after picking them up at a fairly low price literally 10 years earlier. All are Rookie Cards + PSA 10 Grade. I'm ignoring the Summer because it's such an extreme and skews everything.

To me, an "Index Fund" is a Blue-Chip HOF Superstar that you long-term hold e.g. 10+ years at least.

Barry Bonds Topps Traded PSA: $30.50 - $125.00 (+$94.50)
Barry Bonds Fleer PSA: $49.00 - $222.50 (+$173.50). Fun Bonus? If you got this in 2004 at $600-$700, you would still lose money in July/August of this year selling it. Proof that the people 'buying high' on Zion, Ja, etc. in August are probably gonna get burned so hard IMO. Dak's injury saw his Prizm Silver PSA 10s plummet from a high of $1,400 to literally $400 now... his prices back in May/June/July of 2020.
Ken Griffey Jr. Upper Deck Star Rookie PSA: $198.87 - $670 (+$471.13)
Mark McGwire Donruss Rated Rookie PSA: $16.50 - $68.00 (+$51.50)
John Stockton Fleer PSA: $76.01 - $252 (+$175.99)
Dennis Rodman Fleer PSA: $128.75 - $560 (+$431.25)
1962 Mickey Mantle Topps PSA 6: $232.50 - $430 (+$197.50)
1963 Mickey Mantle Topps PSA 6: $265.96 - $430.41 (+$164.45)
Barry Sanders Score PSA: $124.50 - $370.88 (+$246.38)

And again, these are all basically 10 year holds prior to the Covid Market insanity. You could've "invested" $1,122.59 and gotten $3,128.79 in sales for a net profit of $2,006.20 (1.79X).

Last edited:

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Picked up a couple more baseball 1990s HOF Player Rookies on the cheap as I start to build that collection side up and try & get ahead of that curve.

Craig Biggio 1989 Fleer GMA 10: $9.99 with PSA Pop Report of 558 10s (About a 1 in 3 Gem Rate. Not difficult but not likely to rise either)
Larry Walker 1990 Bowman GMA 9: $15.00 with PSA Pop Report of 495 9s (Bowman is notoriously difficult to get Gem 10s in)

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm VERY skeptical of 4 Sharp Corners, your post above illustrates it. I haven't seen any of the watch dog groups in cards call them out though, yet.

0Qb3eYi.jpg

Got my Thomas Morstead card through the mail autograph back. It was a signing in East Texas. As best as I can tell he's not going to be doing any certified autos for Topps, Panini, etc.. so this was my only option short of getting an 8x10.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
So my Harley Quinn card I had ordered back on 10/12 never came. Put in a request for the item through Ebay and may just have them step in/get a refund if possible around 11/6 since the seller isn't responding. That was on me though as the seller had no sales prior (they did have buyer feedback though) and I've since learned my lesson and gone with more reputable, high feedback sellers since.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Saw a recent video from Youtuber SilverJackify related to the whole premise of, "Buy the Card, Not the Grade," and how it was relating to eye appeal and such. The PSA 2 is more beaten up but really well centered for its grade and is proof that you can save yourself tens to hundreds of dollars buying a well centered, fairly sharp card rather than the grade. The PSA 8 is being offered for $2,500 and the others are being offered for $250 to $350 range.

s-l500.jpg
s-l500.jpg
s-l500.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Cards not yet in hand, but SGC did deliver my scans of my 5 card August order:

Tagged due to size
I knew this Beast Mode rookie had some minor flaws, so I added it in as a litmus test. Wanted to ensure they're not just rubber stamping grades.
6ZKNR7Q.jpg

I've had this Revis Island in my general football binder for a while, decided since I have no dedicated Beckett or PSA registry for him, I'd go SGC:
eoJhaPy.jpg

The next 3 round out my Beast Mode rookie card collection that I have left (I'd previously sold a dual AP/Beast Mode 07 UD jersey BGS 9.5 for $75

x95vOzJ.jpg

XD06QiE.jpg

R3UHY5R.jpg

They generated the tracking number today, but so far the USPS text server has not sent me any pick up notifications.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
With the basketball market being insane, I dipped a little bit more into baseball than I have in some time and also have been going crazy on the recent high-end WWE product, WWE Undisputed. I treated myself to a hobby box on release date, which the Hobby boxes are ten packs with ten hits and eight guaranteed autographs. I got a solid box but then I saw the prices spiking everyone and got a second box around the price they were originated at which showed up last night.

I‘ve started working on some rainbows in that set that I’m not optimistic to finish but there’s another rainbow that I may have a lead on that I may be able to get the /1 and /5 out early, in which case I have great confidence I could finish.

The big WWE purchase and some singles I ordered came last night. Tonight’s mail was a Britney Griner Prizm and a Britney Griner Prizm Fireworks insert, as I was looking at the Wild prices for the WNBA Prizm that just came out but found someone that had the two Griners for about $4 shipped.

I got a PSA membership in late July, which I guess worked out given they’ve stopped selling what I got as they are playing catch-up. I sent one of my Topps Lebron rookies at the Express service level in September. Between my shipping expenses and their fees, it cost me $97. The card got graded an 8. Last I checked, before the recent Lakers win, the most recent 8s sold on eBay were going around $800.

I have a few more packages sitting in PSA with slower service levels that it will be a while until I see them. I have been having an internal battle on breaking some of my complete sets to grade the higher end cards. I made complete sets of Topps basketball of every set from 2002-03 til their last in 2009-10. That means I still have another Lebron and a Steph Curry that both are very valuable if taken away. Years back I bought a lot of like four hobby boxes of 2007-08 so I have a good amount of Durant rookies sitting around - though Gary V was pushing that white border one that came in the rookie set and to me, was easier to obtain than the standard black border.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I wish I could love basketball enough to collect it again. Mid 1990s was the shit for cheap basketball, almost guaranteed to get a card of someone you loved from teams coast to coast. And then when the New Orleans team had Chris Paul I dipped back in some more, to borrow from your terminology, @Baby Shoes, but as soon as he bounced I just gave up the ghost. I haven't even lifted a finger since New Orleans drafted Davis nor Zion. Davis got out anyway and Zion mania emptied the shelves if I wanted to collect him. I'd love to though, I enjoy collecting players that are talented but give to their community. Hell I started a Roethlisberger PC in 04(?) playoffs after he donated his entire playoff salary to Tsunami relief. I mostly have moved most of it in the years since.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I’ve managed to get midrange Zions but I worry so much in investing in him when I don’t trust his durability. I actually won a Chronicles Zion card for like $8 shipped recently that then showed up from some guy in a penny sleeve only but wrapped in cardboard!

These prices? Hell, I think Luka is legit and still can’t pull the trigger on spending the prices he commands for raw cards.

I think one of the most interesting things recently was with the current boom, watching the prices on Randy Arozarena. Cards of his that were going for $5 before the playoffs started were going for hundreds during that run to the World Series.

I did actually score a Mega Box restock on the Target app the other night of NFL Absolute. Don’t even remember last time I got football. But there was a 15% Cartwheel coupon on cards and I have a RedCard so I got it for $35 and change shipped. Expected Monday.

With the Undisputed purchases and preordering some WWE Chrome, I really need to slow down.

Maybe next few days I’ll try to share some of my WWE breaks and graded gets the past few months, if folks are interested.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Really interested, yeah. Randy Arozarena fascinates me because he had a torrid MLB Postseason but played sparingly and hit 7 HR in just 76 PA in the actual regular season. I'd rather hedge my bets on a guy like Franmil Reyes (37 HR in 2019) or Matt Olson (29 HR in 2018, 36 HR in 2019) who can also play GG defense.

Arozarena's also gonna be 26 next season and again, hasn't even played a full MLB season. Short term if he produces power-wise, he's a good target but I feel like there's a glut of players who can hit 30+ HR in the 2021 Season if it's played in full so long-term I just don't see it.

Last edited:

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I actually had a Randy from a box. I have more long term faith in him than Kyle Lewis but it will be interesting. The prices are wild but I feel he fact he was consistent through the whole stretch makes me think he will be legit, at least for a couple year stretch. So more like a multi-time All-Star than a Hall of Famer.

So... WWE Topps Chrome dropped today. I saw a seller put a box on eBay for $107 yesterday and ordered one since everyone else has had them for $140. I looked on Topps website... they are up for $74.99!?! So now I overspent and got something from direct from Topps since it won’t be cheap again and they won’t be weighing boxes if there are any weight differences in case hits or anything else.

I had a good experience getting some Bowman Chrome baseball Topps off the summer. They do a signup referral so if anyone thinks they want to buy from there, I can give the link and they can get a coupon and I guess they give me rewards points.

Also, in the time I came here and posted, those Chrome unsurprisingly sold out...

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I actually had a Randy from a box. I have more long term faith in him than Kyle Lewis but it will be interesting. The prices are wild but I feel he fact he was consistent through the whole stretch makes me think he will be legit, at least for a couple year stretch. So more like a multi-time All-Star than a Hall of Famer.
Yeah, Randy Arozarena cards are going for $300-$500 right now as PSA 10s. Kyle Lewis' are going for 2020 Topps PSA 10s $70-80 at the moment. Yet Matt Olson RCs you can get $40-$60 and Franmil Reyes RCs you can get $20-$40 for comparison.

I partly got away from the box breaking due to the rising prices and Ebay Sellers jacking up the prices in comparison to even the official sites' prices. 2020 WNBA Panini Prizm Hobby Boxes are going for $240-$270 on Ebay(!) and yet Sabrina Ionescu raw RCs are going for $170.

The market itself is just so bonkers right now. Yet you can pick up at DACW: 2016 Topps Baseball Set for $39, 2017 Topps Baseball Complete Set for $49, and 2018 Topps Baseball Complete Factory Set for $118 or instead spend say $385 on a 2017 Bowman Chrome Hobby Box or $345 on a 2018 Bowman Chrome Hobby Box...

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Any time I would pull out my UFC autos I would always think “I should just get rid of these.” Then I would turn right around and look at more on eBay.

I’ve since decided to keep collecting, but only focus on a few favorites who’s prices aren’t crazy. So I’ve settled on Edgar, Mighty Mouse, Florian, Poirier, and Serra. Although Serra just doesn’t have that many available. I may pivot to Cruz. Currently waiting on 1 Frankie, 1 Dustin, and 3 more Demetrious in the mail.
E6C8A9E8-0D68-43A7-845C-E52C0364D032.jpegE2161978-05D5-4FC0-8997-F0793E3A0BFE.jpegBBA2E8A8-EB4B-48CA-97D4-0BEBC915B25B.jpeg

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I’m not a UFC guy but I’ve seen some of their cards for guys who crossed over to or from wrestling, with CM Punk, Rousey and Matt Riddle stuff popping up on different searches.

I go back and forth with the wrestling stuff at times and it is kinda fun. Looking back at some of the Tristar TNA sets from the early 2010s is fun because you had the random castoffs that were being brought in and then guys who were getting their first national exposure now. On top of that, they did cards for the people they brought in. Years back I got me and a buddy Jason Harvey autograph because of the randomness of it and recently I just got a TNA branded Curtis Granderson auto /60 at a fair price.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Yeah, Randy Arozarena cards are going for $300-$500 right now as PSA 10s. Kyle Lewis' are going for 2020 Topps PSA 10s $70-80 at the moment. Yet Matt Olson RCs you can get $40-$60 and Franmil Reyes RCs you can get $20-$40 for comparison.

I partly got away from the box breaking due to the rising prices and Ebay Sellers jacking up the prices in comparison to even the official sites' prices. 2020 WNBA Panini Prizm Hobby Boxes are going for $240-$270 on Ebay(!) and yet Sabrina Ionescu raw RCs are going for $170.

The market itself is just so bonkers right now. Yet you can pick up at DACW: 2016 Topps Baseball Set for $39, 2017 Topps Baseball Complete Set for $49, and 2018 Topps Baseball Complete Factory Set for $118 or instead spend say $385 on a 2017 Bowman Chrome Hobby Box or $345 on a 2018 Bowman Chrome Hobby Box...

Yeah, I’m doing more singles than boxes but tried hopping in on retail boxes which I historically find to be a waste of money or like wrestling product where there is a little more window to get for retail right now, just for the fun of it.

But hour price comparisons on products got me reminiscing that I had a 2014 box of Donruss basketball on my eBay watch list for YEARS for $60 and now those boxes that were discounted for years I’ve seen at nearly triple the price. There isn’t even stuff to chase in there!

In March I got a 2017-18 Hoops box for like $72 because 2018 and 2019 were already more than I wanted to pay - now the 2017 are up to like $200 and the newer ones closer to $400. The thing is, I don’t even think, barring some really unique hit you could make $200 back on 2017. You’d have to get like an Artist Proof Tatum rookie. I don’t even know if there is a high value autograph in there.

I’m bad with knowing the selling on cards though. I have a ton I probably could sell but have been afraid on cards just knowing how buyers have behaved when I’ve sold other stuff online. Thinking I should check out something like COMC at some point but that may be when I get some of my graded items back from PSA.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I’m doing more singles than boxes but tried hopping in on retail boxes which I historically find to be a waste of money or like wrestling product where there is a little more window to get for retail right now, just for the fun of it.

But hour price comparisons on products got me reminiscing that I had a 2014 box of Donruss basketball on my eBay watch list for YEARS for $60 and now those boxes that were discounted for years I’ve seen at nearly triple the price. There isn’t even stuff to chase in there!

In March I got a 2017-18 Hoops box for like $72 because 2018 and 2019 were already more than I wanted to pay - now the 2017 are up to like $200 and the newer ones closer to $400. The thing is, I don’t even think, barring some really unique hit you could make $200 back on 2017. You’d have to get like an Artist Proof Tatum rookie. I don’t even know if there is a high value autograph in there.

I’m bad with knowing the selling on cards though. I have a ton I probably could sell but have been afraid on cards just knowing how buyers have behaved when I’ve sold other stuff online. Thinking I should check out something like COMC at some point but that may be when I get some of my graded items back from PSA.
That's the thing is that exponentially, the prices of some singles haven't risen 1:1 with the prices of their Hobby Boxes so people are now paying $600 and getting $375 value back rather than paying $72 for that 2017-18 Hoops Box and maybe hoping you'd get $100-$125 at best on it. The odds of getting the hit(s) that pay for the absurd prices just aren't there as has often been the case.

A 2020 Panini Mosaic Choice Hobby Box is $520 on DACW (on sale price). A Joe Burrow Auto went for $960. Say your best hits were the following though: D'Andre Swift Auto = $75, Clyde Edwards-Helaire Gold Reactive = $15, CeeDee Lamb Red Green = $32... good luck getting that $520 back in a few months when Donruss Optic or Panini Prizm football gets released.

That 2014 Donruss Basketball box is a perfect example. I love Absolute & Certified football and even I have to admit that they are not great boxes to chase hits in. Same for the modern-day Donruss Football but they are often the only retail available so people are buying them up in droves just to break some kind of retail product.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I want to get a box of 2020 Leaf wrestling. 6 autographs per box. Lots of legends, some current people I don't really know, some neat multi autos (4 Horseman, Powers of Pain + Demolition), and even a short print of the SHOCKMASTER!

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I want to get a box of 2020 Leaf wrestling. 6 autographs per box. Lots of legends, some current people I don't really know, some neat multi autos (4 Horseman, Powers of Pain + Demolition), and even a short print of the SHOCKMASTER!
This sounds like a fun product: "Each Hobby box includes at least five signed cards. The sixth hit is either an original sketch redemption or another autograph ... autographed inserts named Clearly Dominant, Ultimate Enshrined, Ultimate Hotties (changed to Ultimate Ring Queens), and Ultimate Stars. The cards offer various foil parallels with limited print runs, as well ..."

This looks awesome
2020-Leaf-Ultimate-Wrestling-Cards-Autographs-Ultimate-Signatures-Duals.jpg

Notable Hits
Clearly Dominants Autos = Bret Hart, Chris Jericho, Goldberg, Great Muta(!), Hulk Hogan, Jushin Liger(!!) [You gonna get this, @cobainwasmurdered ?!?], Kevin Nash, Mick Foley, and Ric Flair
Enshrined Autos = Bret, Hogan, Jimmy Hart, Nash, Ricky Steamboat(!)
Ring Queens = Ryan Shamrock & Victoria (100% Seriously... if you pull either one, I'll literally pay you for them)
Ultimate Signatures 2 = Demolition, Kenny Omega/CIMA, Eric Bischoff/Terry Funk, Ted Dibiase/Jimmy Hart, TAZZ/FUNAKI, Tully Blanchard/Tessa Blanchard, Foley/Edge, Hogan/Rodman
Ultimate Signatures 4 = 4 Horsemen w/Barry Windham
Ultimate Stars Autos = Usual names + Brother Love, Colt Cabana, Cody Rhodes, Don Frye(!), Kamala (you gonna get this, @King Kamala ?!?), Ken Shamrock, Larry Hennig, Perry Saturn (you gonna get this, @Laz ?!?), Sid Vicious(!!!!), Tugboat/Typhoon/Shockmaster, and Vampiro

• Wow

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score

These are pretty neat. I’ve never bought a box but I did get decent deals on some from this year’s set on ebay, acquiring a Tanahashi and a Toru Yano/ Colt Cabana dual signature. I’m not seeing myself drop the money on the crazy cool ones they have like the quad Four Horseman and I bet the Hogan/Dennis Rodman one goes for a pretty penny but I did look at a Britt Baker one, which, most of the female cards end up selling at a premium as well.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
@HarleyQuinn Leaf has had Ryan Shamrock in the set in the past and Victoria has an array between WWE, TNA and Leaf products where you could probably grab a couple cheaply.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So I haven't been buying much in the way of cards lately, but I did just get this out of a fucking Walmart value pack of 2020 Chrome today.

CjtNUc9.jpg

Suffice it to say, I won't be buying any more Chrome cause there's really no way I go anywhere but down.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
GMA's raised their prices to $8/Card or $6/Bulk (100+ Cards) and a turnaround time of 25 business days. I look at that as a positive (and still very affordable compared to PSA's $50/Card) as it means they're getting a lot more business/demand.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Gonna be refunded by Ebay for that HQ Card purchase. Threw out a $10.99 offer on a Kirby Puckett 1985 Topps #536 RC that's "only" a GMA 8.5 but looks pretty centered (better than a GMA 9 that was listed above it). If it was a shade more to the right, it probably gets the 9.

EDIT: The $10.99 offer was accepted. Shipping was $4.70 so instead of $15 + $4.70 I saved myself almost the cost of shipping.

s-l500.jpg

Last edited:

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
@HarleyQuinn Leaf has had Ryan Shamrock in the set in the past and Victoria has an array between WWE, TNA and Leaf products where you could probably grab a couple cheaply.
Thanks for the head's up! I just picked up a 2003 Ruthless Aggression card signed by Victoria in-person in California for $14.99 (raw). I just love the card photo itself with Victoria choking out Trish with the Kendo Stick + her autograph over it in silver sharpie.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Mail came super early today. I’ve been picking up deals on some of the SP WWE Undisputed singles when I find them.

Got the Gold (/10) Randy Orton that was about $10 shipped, another seller I had just gotten the base Bayley because I’m Bayley mark and trying to do rainbow that was $2 shipped. Biggest package was Orange Drew McIntyre auto (/99), Nia Jax dual relic auto blue (/25) and Shorty G Green auto redemption (/50), that I think was around $30 for all three.

I may try to post some of my rainbow progress and other interesting pickups this weekend but been getting too much lately since the shutout of basketball and two WWE products coming out so quickly.

The football box I ordered from Target is scheduled to be brought by UPS tonight so I’ll share that break probably later too.

Status
Not open for further replies.