Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Coronavirus

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
My friend is on a work trip in upstate NY and he's already hearing stuff from the locals about how they're putting "nanos" in the vaccine and that this is the whole reason for this HOAX of a pandemic. Sigh.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score

"Daily cases in the state doubled in just the last 10 days, he said during a news conference Monday. The first week of November, Newsom said, saw a more than 51% increase in new cases. The previous highest rate increase the state experienced was 39.2% in June, he added.

The state saw a 48% increase in Covid-19 hospitalizations over the past two weeks, according to the governor, which now make up about 5% of the patients in the state's health care system he added. Over the same time frame, ICUs saw more than a 38% increase."

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
My BIL's getting tested today after a co-worker attended a large gathering and tested positive for it. Of course, the co-worker works in the same vicinity as my BIL and hopefully, he tests negative (more for my sister's sake as she's pregnant and him having to leave the house for 14 days would suck).

I've also noticed people wear masks but are just lazy otherwise. They don't use any hand sanitizer nor do they wash their hands at all, thinking a mask will do everything.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Baker Thinks Long Testing Lines Equate to People Traveling For Thanksgiving Anyway

"But the governor said Wednesday that he was “concerned” that the long lines at some of the state’s testing sites suggest that many residents “aren’t paying much attention” to his Thanksgiving guidance.

“It’s pretty clear, based on those lines, that a lot of people are going to travel over the holidays,” Baker said. “And there’s not much, at this point, that we can do other than say we think that’s not a great idea.”

“I can’t express how bad that is as an idea, with respect to managing COVID and managing spread — unless people are serious about wearing a mask and maintaining distance when they do that type of thing,” Baker said, noting that the recent increase in cases in Canada linked to the celebration of the country’s own Thanksgiving holiday last month was a “perfect example of what happens when people don’t pay attention to these rules.”

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The problem is people not following rules and then traveling. I feel like if you regularly mask up and practice social distancing - and whoever you're visiting does the same - that you should be okay to see these people on Thanksgiving. I'm not talking about bringing all the aunts and uncles over but if you have a sibling or parents that aren't immuno-compromised and you haven't been an idiot about Covid in the days and weeks leading up to when you travel, then I feel it is within reason.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Both me and my girlfriend's families have canceled Thanksgiving in past few days. And my girlfriend's parents (and her nephews) literally live next door. I just think even if you are distancing and masking, it's probably not a great idea to have more than 2 or 3 people congregating indoors rn.

If it's even somewhat tolerable outside though, we haven't ruled out a last minute outdoors activity but I think the chances of it being nice on a late November day in Maine are about as likely as Trump's lawyers finding the smoking gun to win the election.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I'm planning to spend Thanksgiving with my family at my mom's place with no more than 6 people (mom, siblings, nephew). I'm obviously going to mask up and take all the precautions and I know they will as well. I agree with AA that as long as you're not a dummy, there's no harm in having a small gathering for the holiday.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
The problem is people not following rules and then traveling. I feel like if you regularly mask up and practice social distancing - and whoever you're visiting does the same - that you should be okay to see these people on Thanksgiving. I'm not talking about bringing all the aunts and uncles over but if you have a sibling or parents that aren't immuno-compromised and you haven't been an idiot about Covid in the days and weeks leading up to when you travel, then I feel it is within reason.
Agreed although I'm also weary of people taking tests, getting a negative test result, and assuming they are good to go for say the next week into Thanksgiving when symptoms/testing positive could come later instead. That would put more people in general at exposure via traveling or getting ready for Thanksgiving (shopping, airports, hotels, gas stations, etc.) I also think there are a lot of people who have been idiots that I find it hard to trust people to be smart about this kind of situation.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Agreed although I'm also weary of people taking tests, getting a negative test result, and assuming they are good to go for say the next week into Thanksgiving when symptoms/testing positive could come later instead. That would put more people in general at exposure via traveling or getting ready for Thanksgiving (shopping, airports, hotels, gas stations, etc.) I also think there are a lot of people who have been idiots that I find it hard to trust people to be smart about this kind of situation.

My plan is/was to self-isolate for a week before leaving (even then, I hadn't seen anyone without a mask since Halloween), get tested 3-4 days before leaving, go see my brothers (who mask up and don't see anyone either), and then come back. I won't be interacting with anyone who doesn't also share the same habits I do. I also won't be shopping in person or utilizing any airports or hotels during my travels. Only thing I will be doing is getting gas (where I always use gloves) and running (masked) into convenience stores for shit food on the road. I feel that if everyone did what I was doing they'd be fine but if you have family members you don't trust I'd be breaking the news to them that you're spending Thanksgiving at home.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I have traditionally hosted Thanksgiving for my extended family and friends but this year I have limited it to my immediate family.

The majority of people were totally on board and accepted/expected this. However a few family members didn’t take well to this information and presented their case for why we should have large family gatherings and once they concluded their rants about fake news and misleading experts, I responded to all of them with the same response

“Don’t come to thanksgiving next year either”

I should add that all the parties involved in this outrage are the same people who persistently ask me for financial assistance or career opportunities. You can make the proper correlation there.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Can one of TRTSM's medical experts explain to me why so many Governors are putting curfews on bars & restaurants? Now I wanted to advise, I absolutely think those places should be closed for indoor dining entirely. But it seems weird to single out night life when the spikes are blamed on community transmission?

I guess my question is why JUST do that? I understand why bar owners and late night restaurant owners are a little miffed about that.

And I was supposed to see The Evil Dead at the drive ins tomorrow but it got canceled cause of the 9 PM curfew. Piss off, Governor Mills!!!!

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Can one of TRTSM's medical experts explain to me why so many Governors are putting curfews on bars & restaurants? Now I wanted to advise, I absolutely think those places should be closed for indoor dining entirely. But it seems weird to single out night life when the spikes are blamed on community transmission?

I guess my question is why JUST do that? I understand why bar owners and late night restaurant owners are a little miffed about that.

And I was supposed to see The Evil Dead at the drive ins tomorrow but it got canceled cause of the 9 PM curfew. Piss off, Governor Mills!!!!
Have you ever been to a bar at midnight?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm in my thirties and now can't stay out past 10 PM without needing a 14 day quarantine for recovery. But just speaking based on Maine, bars are already at 25% capacity and should be enforcing social distancing. But I guess you're least likely to follow/enforce social distancing when it's late at night and everyone's sloshed. Like I said, I get it but I don't really get it. It seems weird that it's the ONLY thing being shut down rn.

Also why lump the drive ins with them, Gov Mills, you sonuva(daughteruva?)bitch! That's one of the more socially distanced public activities you can do!

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't understand the general curfew stuff at all. At the start of all this Memphis had a 10pm curfew for a while and all that happened was people crowded together even more in the limited times stores were open. I was at Target at 8:30pm and they were herding an entire store full of people to the front of the store to checkout before they closed early at 9.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't understand the general curfew stuff at all. At the start of all this Memphis had a 10pm curfew for a while and all that happened was people crowded together even more in the limited times stores were open. I was at Target at 8:30pm and they were herding an entire store full of people to the front of the store to checkout before they closed early at 9.
I think it is because some of these places labeled as "restaurants" in the day basically convert into bars after hours. Not that they can't do that during the day, it just isn't as appealing as doing it at 1:30AM. What I don't get it how breweries can be open during the day, yet bars cannot (unless they have outdoor seating). At least that's how it is in NC. Breweries that don't serve food are essentially the same as a bar.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm in my thirties and now can't stay out past 10 PM without needing a 14 day quarantine for recovery. But just speaking based on Maine, bars are already at 25% capacity and should be enforcing social distancing. But I guess you're least likely to follow/enforce social distancing when it's late at night and everyone's sloshed. Like I said, I get it but I don't really get it. It seems weird that it's the ONLY thing being shut down rn.

Also why lump the drive ins with them, Gov Mills, you sonuva(daughteruva?)bitch! That's one of the more socially distanced public activities you can do!
I think some of it is also just the sheer crowd size. Say you can fit in 200 people if you really crammed the bar so even at 'just' 25% capacity you could have 50 people + the bartenders nevermind trying to police the bathrooms, etc. With restaurants, there's people eating, talking, multiple wait staff that can be exposed, etc. Now try telling drunk patrons they have to leave/telling people they aren't allowed into your bar or restaurant due to capacity limits... probably not physically safe (just see the shit people do at Dunkies or Walmart when asked to wear a mask).

A lot of these Coronavirus issues are coming from 'large gatherings' e.g. people thinking they'll only have 8 people and it quickly balloons to 40+ with no ability to stop it. All it takes is 2 people to be positive infecting a fair number who contact others, etc.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
All these dummies who are testing positive are still going to have massive Thanksgiving celebrations. This will not be pretty.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm more worried that a lot of Americans (and The Washington Post!) consider 15 people a SMALL gathering.

I don't think anything over 5 people can be considered "small" but maybe I'm just an antisocial pud.