Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Survivor Series 2020: Goodbye Undertaker? Goodbye ThunderDome!

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Yeah, I remember about ten years ago when there were rumors they were going to do away with the Survivor Series name, as Vince hated the gimmick and that’s why it had been scaled back in recent years.

The early years felt like such a special show to me that I always love the Elimination matches. With everything feeling the same these days, a show of all survival matches and an Ultimate Survivor match at the end would be a lot of fun and refreshing to me.

Broward83

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, I remember about ten years ago when there were rumors they were going to do away with the Survivor Series name, as Vince hated the gimmick and that’s why it had been scaled back in recent years.

The early years felt like such a special show to me that I always love the Elimination matches. With everything feeling the same these days, a show of all survival matches and an Ultimate Survivor match at the end would be a lot of fun and refreshing to me.
Wouldn't that sort of be like BattleBowl or something? Not that I'd mind it, I miss when teams got split up or you had differing teams all feuding each other so they'd get paired off in an elimination match.

Tino Standard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That was 1990, although I don’t remember the justification that magically resulted in all of the surviving faces from the earlier matches on one team and the heels on the other.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Yeah, they did it once and 1990 was before my real time fandom but I loved that tape and concept as a kid. I remember recreating a lot of the stuff I liked most with my wrestling figures and that was one.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Also, no disrespect to AC/DC but WWE trying to make their product hip by relying so heavily on an act that formed 47 years ago makes me laugh.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I turned the preshow on when the battle royal was at the final three, including two Smackdown faces(?) fighting each other. I liked the tacky USA logo on the back of the shirt for Miz and his character but seeing it on the back of Riddle is too corny for the entire roster.

Also, I dig Keith Lee’s new theme. I loved his NXT one but given they had to change this, definitely more fitting and making him seem like a bigger deal.

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
I'm a little miffed now that we didn't get Hogan/Warrior/Dusty/Beefcake vs Perfect./Savage/Bravo/Quake. Although I have a feeling that match would see a LOT of cop-out finishes

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Owens trying to step on Riddle’s bare toes when he got in the ring was one of those subtle things KO does that I love

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm a little miffed now that we didn't get Hogan/Warrior/Dusty/Beefcake vs Perfect./Savage/Bravo/Quake. Although I have a feeling that match would see a LOT of cop-out finishes
Andre The Giant Vs Macho Man, Jake Roberts, Ricky Steamboat, The Young Stallions, Killer Bees, and Jumping Bomb Angels would've been a hell of a main event for the first Survivor Series.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Looks like he WWE booked the Smackdown team to be eliminated in the exact order of who they most to least important in the company.

Watching this match, I’d really like to see them do a story going forward like even though one is heel and one is face, Keith Lee and AJ Styles are like war buddies when they cross paths and Lee cuts Styles some slack on being a weasel because he went to battle side by side with him.

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score
I really like Jey. I hate superkick spam but I can accept it when you are 1 person fighting 5 guys all by yourself and need to constantly hit and run.

All the beef in the match was good too.

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score
Fucking fantastic match. Loved it. Sasha/Asuka was really fun little match too. Women's survivor match was mean but at least Lana won.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
If I remember correctly, they only ever did one Ultimate Survivor match, which seems odd, considering how cool the whole concept is.
It had the misfortune of happening in 1990, where business was going down down down. The next year they added Hogan vs Taker in an attempt to bolster the buyrate.

Then after that it would have probably been 7 years before they had the star power to pump up enough guys to be credible in a finale.

Reply: Hey Brody...in 90 PAUL ROMA was in that final match.

:(

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Fun show.

Godwinns having their heel music but at least they are saving Savio for the big entrance.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm still not sure why they couldn't wait until crowds returned for The Undertaker's retirement ceremony but maybe Vince was really keen on making it an EXACT 30 years.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I was going to sad react that but am I really sad about thought of Vince dying? I guess I'd miss the unintentional comedy and I don't want to wish death on anyone even unrelentingly evil businessmen but Idk.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
The Godwinns headlined a WWE Big 4 PPV in 2020. Can't say anyone saw that coming.

Dennis Knight deserves #OneMoreMatch

Last edited:

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I had been thinking last night that Flair looked better than I feel I saw him look in most recent appearances. Then Vince showed up and just seemed old and frail. I wasn’t sure if it was just aging combined with his attempt at a somber tone but that was definitely the roughest I’ve ever seen Vince.

Tino Standard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It probably wouldn’t have been logistically feasible, but the more I think about it, this really would have been a good year to move the Survivor Series to Thanksgiving eve for a one-off.

Edit: I’m an idiot. USA Network *probably* wouldn’t be thrilled with WWE running a PPV opposite NXT, which I forgot about. Maybe Thanksgiving night then? Although that still faces the challenge of going up against an NFL game in primetime. Ah well, nevermind.

Last edited:

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Just watched the show. Roman/Drew was awesome and everything else ranged from decent to very good. Nothing offensively bad.

You know who's improved a ton in the past year and never gets credit for it? Liv Morgan. I guess since there's a ton of other blondes on the roster that she just gets overlooked (even if she's dyed it). Anyone else a fan?

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Just watched the show. Roman/Drew was awesome and everything else ranged from decent to very good. Nothing offensively bad.

You know who's improved a ton in the past year and never gets credit for it? Liv Morgan. I guess since there's a ton of other blondes on the roster that she just gets overlooked (even if she's dyed it). Anyone else a fan?
Where have you been? We’ve been having a weekly LIVAHOLICS group meeting for about a year now.