Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Kamala's Random WCW Bullshit thread

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
I remember that I asked to go to SlamBoree 1998 because it was in Worcester and 2 weeks before my bday, but my parents didn't want to be out late on a work/school night. This show, of course, featured the Cruiserweight Battle Royal, ending in my favorite moment during my entire fandom (Ciclope unmasking).

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I remember that I asked to go to SlamBoree 1998 because it was in Worcester and 2 weeks before my bday, but my parents didn't want to be out late on a work/school night. This show, of course, featured the Cruiserweight Battle Royal, ending in my favorite moment during my entire fandom (Ciclope unmasking).

Slamboree 1998 was one of the few WCW PPVs me and my brother wound up ordering back in the day. Not sure why he was so stoked for it but I was guess the "Bowery Death Match" with Raven/DDP sucked him in.

Reactions: Laz

Laz

Reaction score
Slamboree 1998 was one of the few WCW PPVs me and my brother wound up ordering back in the day. Not sure why he was so stoked for it but I was guess the "Bowery Death Match" with Raven/DDP sucked him in.
I remember going online in late 1999 and finding the consensus being that the Raven/DDP feud was mediocre. It was the best thing not involving Jericho that WCW did in 1998.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Demott was a fine worker for his size. Somewhere in my 100s of notebooks full of bad fantasy booking, I had Crash the Terminator take a role in "New" Demolition in 1994. I do not recall off hand if he replaced Crush, Smash or maybe even it was with Eadie in the indies.

There's probably a lot of head shaking gold in those notebooks. I know I once booked a tournament with 7 time limit draws in round 1, making the last match in round 1 the Finals.

Laz

Reaction score
It cannot be understated how royally WCW fucked up with Raven. He was at his peak from 1996-1998 and the program with DDP that led to the dissolution of the Flock was the best part of the year that didn't involve Jericho. There's a chance that his drug problems worsen, of course, but I remember him saying once that they only got out of control once he realized that Bischoff was fucking him over.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Not to mention that aborted program with Roddy Piper, which would have done wonders for both men's careers and been one of Piper's only good feuds after the '80s.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Not to mention that aborted program with Roddy Piper, which would have done wonders for both men's careers and been one of Piper's only good feuds after the '80s.
I loved Piper (obv.), but in retrospect those later 90s WCW promos were pretty nonsensical, like Piper tried to do his old cocaine promos w/o the coke. And the workrate(!) drop off :(

Raven: Roddy....(something layered and intellectual.)
Piper: You young whipper snapper! I've been wearing leather jackets since you were in your Daddies jewels! HOWARD STERN! TUB THUMPING!! MUH KIDS~!

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Roddy Piper is responsible for the lowest rated segment in Monday Night Wars history so there you go.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm a godless atheist. I spend my Sunday mornings, drenched in Surge & vodka sweats, muttering to MY GIRLFRIEND'S CATS about Sting (the wrestler mostly but sometimes the soft rocker).

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Not sure if Three Olives still makes it but they used to have that DUDE vodka which was Mountain Dew flavored vodka. Clearly one thing that shows America has ALWAYS been great.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Fun fact: If you drink more than 3 Surge & Vodkas, you'll turn into late era WCW heel Rick Steiner and start roughhousing employees at the nearest 24/7 Burger King.

(I feel like "If You Don't Like Me, BITE ME" era Rick Steiner is the next mediocre to poor late '90s mid wrestler that's due for an ironic revival on Wrestling Twitter, maybe I can start the campaign if I drink enough Surge & Vodka)