Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Mike Tyson Vs Roy Jones Jr thread

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I can't be the only person who has absolutely zero interest in this, am I?
I was excited when it was announced but then I realized RJJ hasn't been entertaining in a long time and Tyson is like 54 and looked washed 20 years ago. Also it's a exhibition. I was more excited for Holyfield/Romney.

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm gonna watch it but there are all kinds of insane rules that will undoubtedly lead to a lot of people asking for a refund.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I highly highly doubt anyone will be tuning into this expecting to be a GOOD fight. Appeal is all of the trainwreck variety.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm going to save my money for Connor McGregor vs Bonecrusher Smith.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah. Looking at this footage from weigh in, I don't have any doubt in my mind that Roy Jones Jr is going to dominate this "sparring session" in most boring fashion possible. It looks like Mike confused people telling him "Hey! You look pretty good for someone in your mid 50s" as "You should fight again!"

Most disappointingly, I'm surprised we haven't gotten @Baby Shoes 's hard hitting analysis of Nate Robinson Vs Jake Paul on the undercard.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I thought the Tyson/Jones fight exceeded my expectations. I wasn't expecting anything but the final result to be a draw if it went to decision, so that didn't bother me. I thought Tyson won in case anyone cares. A few of the early rounds were a tad too slow with Roy holding on too much, but Tyson was very game and still has some scary power. Tyson landed a lot of really good body shots all fight that seemed to bother RJJ. Roy seemed to be surviving more than trying to win in the later rounds, but he also showcased some nice combos and VINTAGE Roy Jones Jr moments. It was entertaining, and I'd watch another legends fight like this.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm gonna watch it but there are all kinds of insane rules that will undoubtedly lead to a lot of people asking for a refund.
See: people complaining about the fight being a “draw” when it was announced the whole time this was an exhibition and no winner was to be declared !

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
I thought the Tyson/Jones fight exceeded my expectations. I wasn't expecting anything but the final result to be a draw if it went to decision, so that didn't bother me. I thought Tyson won in case anyone cares. A few of the early rounds were a tad too slow with Roy holding on too much, but Tyson was very game and still has some scary power. Tyson landed a lot of really good body shots all fight that seemed to bother RJJ. Roy seemed to be surviving more than trying to win in the later rounds, but he also showcased some nice combos and VINTAGE Roy Jones Jr moments. It was entertaining, and I'd watch another legends fight like this.
That about echoes my sentiments. A lot better fight than I expected first and foremost. Tyson clearly won the fight but it is what it is, not like it mattered really in the big picture. I could see Tyson doing a few more fights like this against random familiar names from either boxing or even MMA.

The undercard was entertaining enough, the Paul/Robinson stuff was wonky all around, and this show was more or less a constant advertisement of smokin da dank, which was certainly different (but entertaining).

Weedmaps sponsoring with Mario Lopez pimping them out, Mauro Ranallo dropping tons of weed innuendo, artists like Snoop and Wiz Khalifa smoking blunts during their performances, etc.

Snoop on color commentary might have legit been the best part about this crazy ass event. I loved the look of how they made Staples Center look here, it was certainly unique

MFer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just knew some fuckery was going down as I saw the scorecards after each round. Dawson in particular looked like he was on the take as he gave many of the later rounds to Jones to set up the draw.