Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Coronavirus

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah. My girlfriend’s son worked at a supermarket for the first 4 or 5 months of pandemic and has been super careful in personal life and he got it from his cousin, whose workplace was apparently super negligent of COVID protocols. All but one of cousin’s co workers got it.

It is just super frustrating that one mistake can unravel lives of some many people.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score

"The seven-day average for new coronavirus cases is 460.7, up from 431 a day ago, up from 434.1 a week ago and up from 187 a month ago.

Wednesday marked yet another new record for single-day increase in coronavirus cases, shattering the previous high — 613 — set just a week ago. It’s the second time new cases have risen above 600 and the seventh time in the past 10 days when they rose above 400."

Glad the Vaccines are here but you know it's gonna make some people complacent/stupid over the next several weeks + Christmas + New Year's Eve... shitty timing to have basically 3 of the biggest Holidays all coming one after another.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

"A day after California reported a chilling record of more than 62,000 daily coronavirus cases, statewide intensive care availability fell below 2% for the first time Tuesday, and public health officials issued urgent pleas for people to skip their usual Christmas celebrations this week.

Kaiser, one of the state’s largest health care providers, reported that 16 of its 36 hospitals were over capacity in intensive care. Four Northern California hospitals, but none in the Bay Area, were at or near ICU capacity, Kaiser officials said. The entire system was over 100% of its usual patient volume for this time of year, and Adams said more than half of patients have COVID-19.

Nearly 17,900 people were hospitalized with COVID-19 in California as of Monday, more than twice as many as at the start of the month three weeks ago."

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Interesting article about disproportionately high COVID-19 rates amongst African American males in their 30s and 40s. 9x higher death rate than white men of same age.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It really makes me sad and ashamed that I didn’t know about how exponentially worse healthcare treatment POC get until this year.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
While I want the vaccine, I had to decline the opportunity today from a friend (child hood friend fireman that knows my health situation told me he vaccinated his whole department and had an extra). I have my negative result for my pre-op swab and it's good until the day of. If I get another delay, I'll have to reswab and I don't have enough information on if the vaccine will trigger a "positive" causing a further delay.

On a "trying to not be selfish" point of view, it's better if it goes to the elderly and people going to medical scenes and treating in the hospital. As trash as my heart is, it's a bigger tragedy if a first responder or doctor gets covid than if I get it. I rather risk waiting a little longer if it means my mom can have access or anyone else in her health situation. I'm already stick in the mud at the few gatherings I've attended, keeping my damn distance.

Staff member
Reaction score
While I want the vaccine, I had to decline the opportunity today from a friend (child hood friend fireman that knows my health situation told me he vaccinated his whole department and had an extra). I have my negative result for my pre-op swab and it's good until the day of. If I get another delay, I'll have to reswab and I don't have enough information on if the vaccine will trigger a "positive" causing a further delay.

On a "trying to not be selfish" point of view, it's better if it goes to the elderly and people going to medical scenes and treating in the hospital. As trash as my heart is, it's a bigger tragedy if a first responder or doctor gets covid than if I get it. I rather risk waiting a little longer if it means my mom can have access or anyone else in her health situation. I'm already stick in the mud at the few gatherings I've attended, keeping my damn distance.

Nah dude. People with heart problems have a massively increased chance of dying. If you don’t take it, and something happens to you, your family won’t be able to handle that shit. Someone offered it to you, but for some of these you do need two doses. Take it. The government made everyone fend for themselves because they’re garbage. You made it through that. You deserve to take it.

Cartman

Integral Poster
Reaction score
As far as I know there is no chance of a positive virus test from the 2 approved Vaccines (Phizer and Moderna) as those do not have any actual virus, dead or alive in them.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Did thrasher get the rona? One of his last few posts was about testing negative but then he hasn’t been here for a half year.

he stopped posting right after @909 called him out for being a fucking idiot in a ppv thread and a shit ton of people liked 909's post. He might have FINALLY gotten the message that everyone thought he was...well a fucking idiot. I know he's still active on twitter as of a month or two ago because I looked to see if he was dead.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Have no fears of New Year's Eve stopping anything either after Thanksgiving/Christmas. Started the day a little above 10% occupancy and left 9 hours later with my hotel sitting at 23.2% and having checked in 40-45 people with another 9 left to arrive when I departed the hotel. And there was much partying going on, of course.

For perspective, a 'high' day had been around 15 check-ins previously.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
That's a really irresponsible headline. The article makes the issue clear (need a second dose, vaccine needs time to build up, could have caught it before getting the vaccine), but so many people are going to read the headline and think "it doesn't even work. why should I take it?"

Last edited:

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think the story is more interesting from a "I was so close to immunity and then I caught it" angle but of course that's not the one most news outlets will use.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
There's this hole in the wall bar that is pretty unremarkable except that for people in my area (and surrounding) it's on the route to New Orleans. For whatever reason it's become known for Bloody Marys (why is it that every town has a bar with "world famous" Bloody Marys?) and if you're going to NOLA to party, visit, or see a game you stop here and get a Bloody Mary per person in your party to go (that's a thing here).

Today they're crying on Facebook about getting shut down by the ATF, they could still operate their "to-go" ventures but instead are going to close down for now and pout about it. I'm guessing their expectation is to get pity? Not sorry.

And their signature drink comes out of a prepackaged plastic jug.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Also, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, the vaccine is designed to dramatically reduce symptoms and increase the body's ability to fight it off, notto actually kill an infection entirely. This would probably account for positive tests after the fact, as well. I'm not a vaccine expert by any means, but I'm not sure if this holds true for measles vaxxes or chicken pox or any number of other vaccinations the population gets on the reg.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Should something called Operation Warp Speed be moving so, well, slowly? I can't help but wonder if this could be handled better by officials who aren't just reality tv celebrities and the dudes that suck him off.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Should something called Operation Warp Speed be moving so, well, slowly? I can't help but wonder if this could be handled better by officials who aren't just reality tv celebrities and the dudes that suck him off.
I've read articles that some healthcare workers already are refusing to take the vaccines. Also, people getting the vaccine are standing in queus and waiting for hours, which doesn't sound terribly safe if somebody's positive but doesn't know it. I can only imagine how the push out will be handled when it starts coming to the public down the road.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Romney was probably right that it wasn't right or sensible to expect already overburdened health care workers and pharmacies to handle this all on the federal government's behalf. Golf and skiing had to happen at that executive level tho.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Have they said how long it takes to have to get both doses inbetween the first dose and the second dose? It seems like a "first dose" delay is already screwing things up nevermind having to get another dose on top of that.