Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

WandaVision

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score

Trailer above has been out for a few months. There was a lot of speculation this would debut on Disney+ around Thanksgiving but an announcement was made the other day that is premieres January 15th.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I’ve been trying to not read too much ahead of time but excited from the bits and pieces I’ve seen. They play with genres, say each episode is kinda like it’s own mini-movie. For the sitcom type stuff, they hired Dick Van Dyke as an advisor and actually did film in front of a live studio audience.

Dandy

Reaction score
Without spoiling anything (which is all speculation by me anyway), this show should shape the entire Phase 4 lineup and possibly future phases. It should also be a direct lead-in to the Doctor Strange movie.

I am sad that it won’t get here until mid-January, as Disney had all but 100% confirmed with an actual release date that it would hit late this year. I was looking forward to watching it over the holidays.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
It'll be premiering next Friday. Getting a little more hyped from the teasers I've seen.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Excited to check this out after I get home from work tonight.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I was surprised they were only half hour episodes but I guess I should’ve known given the genre they are playing in. Credits are rolling in Episode 2 now. I really enjoyed it and have no idea where it is going yet, which makes it fun.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Enjoyed the 50s throwback style/feel and the subtle building up that there's... more happening. Looking forward to future episodes.

Cartman

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I usually like the wait between episodes for TV shows, but this one feels like something better binged. Maybe it's just me wanting more after those 2 eps.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I usually like the wait between episodes for TV shows, but this one feels like something better binged. Maybe it's just me wanting more after those 2 eps.
I agree. I think part of it is that they are only 30 minute episodes and a lot of the MCU is very... serialized, even the movies, so watching the majority or all of it in one binge helps tighten the story and arc(s) that happen for the viewer rather than trying to remember what happened last time, any little details, etc.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
I agree. I think part of it is that they are only 30 minute episodes and a lot of the MCU is very... serialized, even the movies, so watching the majority or all of it in one binge helps tighten the story and arc(s) that happen for the viewer rather than trying to remember what happened last time, any little details, etc.
Can confirm. I didn't care for basically anything MCU after Winter Soldier until I binged it all in chronological order leading up to Endgame. This kind of storytelling virtually requires quick consumption, and then re-watching after.
disneyplus having so few new things doesnt help. but that's why they do it probably. keeps everyone hooked.
It's Disney. They can get away without needing weekly releases to get people to watch. Between the two kids in the house, it's the most regularly watched service.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Might be in the minority, but I didn’t care for the first two episodes. I get that it’s setting up something, but knowing that in advance makes it feel like so much of it is pointless. Can’t imagine wanting to rewatch. It’s just a bad black and white sitcom with some super powers, and a hint of “something isn’t right...” and I get that’s what they’re going for.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Might be in the minority, but I didn’t care for the first two episodes. I get that it’s setting up something, but knowing that in advance makes it feel like so much of it is pointless. Can’t imagine wanting to rewatch. It’s just a bad black and white sitcom with some super powers, and a hint of “something isn’t right...” and I get that’s what they’re going for.
One of my friends text me saying pretty much this same thing. But I got the sense some of his stance came from wanting to have it all at once. And he’s been pretty critical of MCU before.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
I don’t need it at all once. I love the weekly release schedule on Plus. And I also appreciated that you didn’t get “on the next episode of...” with their stuff.

I’m pretty much on board for the MCU with almost everything. I totally get the tone of what they’re doing by setting this up, just not having a good time with it yet.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
well that advanced things a fair bit. answered several questions on where its heading I think. really want an all in the famly themed episode.

Dandy

Reaction score
Growing up watching all the TV Land sitcoms, I am loving this. I understand where basic popcorn movie fans are not happy because it doesn’t make sense to them though.

Even though I do not believe this spoils anything, I will tag it just in case and then remove it if those that have watched the first three episodes see no reason to spoiler tag it. If so, I will remove.
It is very apparent to me that each episode will represent a TV show decade and then the finale. Each episode has also been heavily inspired by a particular sitcom in both look and feel, even though elements of multiple shows from that era could have some influence.

I have it as:

50s - The Dick Van Dyke Show
60s - Bewitched
70s - The Brady Bunch

So we will get the 80s through 2020s where they are at in present-day MCU and then the finale.
What sitcoms do you guess for each decade?

Dandy

Reaction score
I need to correct/modify that slightly as
The Dick Van Dyke Show debuted in 1961 and thus makes my theory above null. There was a definite vibe of TDVDS in parts of the opening of episode 1 as well as throughout the episode. So either it was just a small part of it and added into the 50s episode or there is a more fluid starting and stopping point than “decade/episode.” So for now, just consider me wrong.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Rumor floating around that
not only may we get the return of the MCU Quicksilver but Evan Peters’ version may be in it, kicking off some of the Multiverse stuff some more. Apparently not only had there been rumors Peters was going to be in this project but his portrayal of Quicksilver became heightened when the voice actor that dI’d the Spanish language dubs for the X-men movies made a social media post about the honor of recording as the character again before the post was quickly deleted.

Dandy

Reaction score
This is a response to Baby Shoes’ post that is much more spoilerish than what I was discussing above that was more about the TV show influence for individual episodes.
I think Quicksilver from the X-Men universe has been nearly confirmed at this point. I would have to try to find the article but I read where it was definitely more than just a rumor.

And this is merely speculation, but many suspect that Agnes’ husband Ralph will be revealed to be Mephisto. I think that seems less likely after episode three, but it would be a good one.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
This is a response to Baby Shoes’ post that is much more spoilerish than what I was discussing above that was more about the TV show influence for individual episodes.
I think Quicksilver from the X-Men universe has been nearly confirmed at this point. I would have to try to find the article but I read where it was definitely more than just a rumor.

And this is merely speculation, but many suspect that Agnes’ husband Ralph will be revealed to be Mephisto. I think that seems less likely after episode three, but it would be a good one.
Rather than Ralph, I saw a theory that Mephisto is actually her rabbit. The name was Senor Scratchy and there are instances of the Devil being referred to as Scratch or Mr. Scratch

Smartly Pretty

PujolJunkie
Reaction score
I'm digging this so far, and I love that they're taking a big swing and doing something a little weird. But I think this show might be a little handicapped by the fact that we're all waiting for *something*. This is a show where all three episodes have been classic sitcom parodies and it's full of spoiler tags. I think that kind of thing hampers the effect. A good example of what I mean here might be The Good Place. That season 1 reveal was effective because part of the twist was that nobody thought it was the kind of show that even had twists. It let the show go at its own pace and build tension before the reveal. Whereas with this, we're all kind of waiting for this other shoe to drop. It puts the show in this weird position where parts of the show that would otherwise be cool parts of the show's tone are instead clues to be solved. I don't know if there's a way around this, and they're doing a good job so maybe I'll be presently surprised. I just don't think it's impossible if after the end of this I say to myself either, "this was three episodes too long" or the converse, "I don't think I got to spend enough time in that world for this to be effective."

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
Growing up watching all the TV Land sitcoms, I am loving this. I understand where basic popcorn movie fans are not happy because it doesn’t make sense to them though.

Even though I do not believe this spoils anything, I will tag it just in case and then remove it if those that have watched the first three episodes see no reason to spoiler tag it. If so, I will remove.
It is very apparent to me that each episode will represent a TV show decade and then the finale. Each episode has also been heavily inspired by a particular sitcom in both look and feel, even though elements of multiple shows from that era could have some influence.

I have it as:

50s - The Dick Van Dyke Show
60s - Bewitched
70s - The Brady Bunch

So we will get the 80s through 2020s where they are at in present-day MCU and then the finale.
What sitcoms do you guess for each decade?

At this rate, Episode 9 will be Sokovian Horror Story.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm digging this so far, and I love that they're taking a big swing and doing something a little weird. But I think this show might be a little handicapped by the fact that we're all waiting for *something*. This is a show where all three episodes have been classic sitcom parodies and it's full of spoiler tags. I think that kind of thing hampers the effect. A good example of what I mean here might be The Good Place. That season 1 reveal was effective because part of the twist was that nobody thought it was the kind of show that even had twists. It let the show go at its own pace and build tension before the reveal. Whereas with this, we're all kind of waiting for this other shoe to drop. It puts the show in this weird position where parts of the show that would otherwise be cool parts of the show's tone are instead clues to be solved. I don't know if there's a way around this, and they're doing a good job so maybe I'll be presently surprised. I just don't think it's impossible if after the end of this I say to myself either, "this was three episodes too long" or the converse, "I don't think I got to spend enough time in that world for this to be effective."
The very last line rings true to me. I greatly enjoyed the second episode and all of a sudden it's like, BOOM, you're at this juncture/this aspect is now going on. I feel slightly less "invested" in the side characters as a result of this.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Still not digging it. Good thing Marvel had built up so much goodwill with their fans, or else I don’t think the masses would stick with this. Especially if it were on a network.

I still feel like I’m just waiting for the episode to be 85% over with, so the music can drop and it gets creepy for a few. And try and catch an Easter egg or two in the meantime.

Wonder what 80’s show we get for next week. First instinct says Full House. But the house is nowhere near full. Maybe Who’s the Boss.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Surprised that there’s been no posts today now that business has picked up