Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Sports Cards Hobby Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Ortiz is probably the last "new" eligible candidate that I've seen play before I stopped following baseball. There's no way I could competently argue in favor or against anyone.

Latest SGC submission popped, cards in transit. Scans enclosed.

BYVfARk.jpg

HbCligE.jpg

PmhcCU7.jpg

q60301p.jpg

Got hammered on that Topps. That was going to be the selling point when I listed the lot of 4 on eBay. Now I'm going to be angling to recoup cost of submission off of it. And then, what if Stafford winds up in New Orleans? Might not want to list them at all.

Granted, since submitting them, I've started dealing with Myslabs, so there's that avenue too.

EDIT: Backs of cards
aIoKqp7.jpg

QCTZszq.jpg

J07tNpQ.jpg

V7hR3YT.jpg

Last edited:

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
How do the backs look on them? I've seen cards get 9s where the front looks like a 10, then I look at the back and the centering is noticeably off or there's a bit of white on a back corner, etc.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
In updating card sets on TCDB.com (mostly mid to late 90s), it's really easy to see why there's such confusion over what is a "Rookie Card" for a player given that era. Let's take David Ortiz as an example. I (personally) feel like, while some of these releases are technically 2nd Year cards, it's also penalizing card companies for not predicting the future and releasing a player's card during his actual rookie season. Kerry Wood also suffered a bit from this situation. I loathe Bowman for this as they are often the 'True' RC but are basically prospect cards 90% of the time. BS way to work the system IMO but the Hobbyists are what they are.

The best way I can work-around the system is to designate the cards with "Rookie Tag" if they feature the 'Rookie' phrase on the front or back.

1997: Fleer #512 and Fleer Ultra #518 get released and are accepted as his 'True' Rookie Cards. He makes his MLB Debut in '97 with 49 AB.

Below are a smattering of 1998 Card releases. Take note of the (legitimate) 'Rookie' designation as he didn't reach the MLB standards for ROY voting and all of these products didn't have any 1997 release of Ortiz.

1127-299Fr.jpg
1142-169200Fr.jpg
1164-171771Fr.jpg
1203-175325RepFr.jpg
1229-177884Fr.jpg
1238-257Fr.jpg

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I really regret not buying any of the 1997 Fleer or Fleer Ultra David Arias cards before they shot up in price so much.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I really regret not buying any of the 1997 Fleer or Fleer Ultra David Arias cards before they shot up in price so much.
Yeah. I'm just annoyed at arguably the lack of any consistent "standards" related to Rookie Cards in general. It's just so arbitrary and inconsistent IMO even over a span of years. I just find it fascinating because if you look at the "classic" 80s Rookie Cards, a lot of those 'RC' were made after players made their Major League debuts. Tony Gwynn, Wade Boggs, Cal Ripken Jr, Roger Clemens, etc.

Then you get into the weeds: Roger Clemens had a 1984 Fleer Update release yet it's considered an XRC with his 1985 cards labeled as RCs. 1986 Barry Bonds was a 'prototype' Bowman situation with Donruss, Fleer Update, and Topps Traded releases as XRC but then his 1987 cards are treated as RCs.

Now you have situations like Mark McGwire where his '85 Topps (in a Team USA uniform) is cited as his RC. No releases in 1986. Then 1987 you get Donruss Rated Rookie, Fleer Update, Topps which all feature his 1986 MLB Stats but aren't designated as a 'Rookie Card' because I dunno. Topps is a known brand? Exact same thing happened to Bernie Williams where Topps released his "1990 RC", did not release a 1991 card at all for some reason, then released a 1992 card after he made his MLB debut. I'd argue that technically his '90 card should be labeled a Prospect Card and '92 card labeled as a RC instead.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I think baseball and the minor league system makes it a mess. I know the Topps Update Trout is the sought after card for him but he did had the earlier stuff. I was excited getting a nice grades Vladimir Guerrero Jr rookie a few months ago and my buddy told me I should’ve gotten that 1st Bowman prospect card.

I think some of the wackiness now is there are so many new people in the hobby, some of standards are shifting based on people’s preferences and personal thoughts.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I think baseball and the minor league system makes it a mess. I know the Topps Update Trout is the sought after card for him but he did had the earlier stuff. I was excited getting a nice grades Vladimir Guerrero Jr rookie a few months ago and my buddy told me I should’ve gotten that 1st Bowman prospect card.

I think some of the wackiness now is there are so many new people in the hobby, some of standards are shifting based on people’s preferences and personal thoughts.
Agreed and I've also heard that most of the "value" is placed on the 1st Bowman Prospect card (usually the Bowman Chromes specifically). I remember even getting caught up in that a little bit very early on before moving onto the NFL and going after general serial #'d cards instead. Having delved into picking up some graded late 80s/early 90s baseball RCs, I just find the whole thing fascinating in general mostly because Bowman fucked it all up starting around 1990/1991 by releasing "prospect" cards 2-3+ years before some of them debuted in an effort to be the Rookie Card to own. Then other brands started chasing them with 'Draft Pick' cards and SP throwing in the Derek Jeter card further muddying the waters completely.

I think I'll probably go with 2 standards as to what is a Rookie Card for myself: Either produced the year the player debuted in the Major Leagues or produced the year after if it references their rookie season (e.g. Kerry Wood). Bowman tended to produce a lot of 'Rookie Cards' through a few brands so other card distributors got fucked... why penalize those sets for being a year late?

1997 Kerry Wood: Bowman #196, Bowman Chrome #183, Bowman's Best #154, and Topps Stars #110.
1998 Kerry Wood: Collector's Choice #202 Rookie Class, Donruss #177 Rookie, Donruss Signature #86 Rookie, Finest #272, Fleer Tradition #563 Rookie, Leaf Rookies & Stars #197 Rookie, Pinnacle Performers #123 Rookie, Pinnacle Plus #54 Rookie, SP Authentic #3 Future Watch, Stadium Club #340 Prime Rookies, Topps #256 Prospects, Topps Gold Label #99, Ultra #279, Upper Deck #558 Star Rookie

You're telling me that my "rookie" Kerry Wood should be a Bowman product essentially? Yet 1998 has 14 legitimate options all using the word Rookie to reference Kerry Wood's 1997 Rookie season but none of them had a release with his card that year. Feels like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
How do the backs look on them? I've seen cards get 9s where the front looks like a 10, then I look at the back and the centering is noticeably off or there's a bit of white on a back corner, etc.
I'm going to double check the backs when they arrive. I'm going to rescan with my Epson anyway. 12 card BGS order arrived today but didn't have time to scan them, will do so in the morning. I might go do a shit scan on the office copier shortly just to have thread eye candy.

EDIT: SGC scanned the backs. I uploaded them in a separate spoiler tag above.

EDIT EDIT: office copier keeps screaming error at me, so that's a no.

Last edited:

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Had a pickup I was excited about show up today. I was looking at some different Amare Stoudemire stuff recently. I stumbled upon a seller who had a 2014 Panini Totally Certified Platinum Green variant (which had a print run of 5 cards) that was a PSA 10. Pop 1, though seeing only five of this card exist, not super likely to get too much higher. I made a Best Offer on it and got it for $25 shipped.

Was lazy in posting some of the other things of mine that came in this week. That order of PSA 10 Goldschmidts and the Fenway Park card came in, a couple other PSA 10 Red Sox I got around the same price as getting a card graded (Sandy Leon, Wade Boggs.

Got a couple assorted Bayley and Pierce for the collections but nothing overly excited. Think the coolest Bayley is probably a 2016 Event Worn relic /350.

Think my most interesting receiving this week was actually a wave of Chris Bosh cards. I was excited when I got his Chrome rookie for like $20 recently but I found another lot a few days later that had two Chrome rookies and two Chrome 2nd Year and won that lot for about $15 shipped. So getting at least one of those off to PSA soon. I really think he is someone undervalued now that may spike when he likely gets to the Hall of Fame within the next few years.

I think my highlight Bosh pickup was I won for $25 shipped a 2003-04 Fleer Focus Anniversary Gold (/50) autograph rookie. Card is a beautiful card and for my logic on the last purchase, felt like a steal.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Always love seeing random 'cool' auto cards (that I won't bid on/buy due to price) but are worth highlighting anyways. I'd pay up for these kinds of autographs over the 'general' ones too.

s-l500.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l500.png

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I own a couple random inscriptions but no major ones like those names there.

I know there are some people who put special emphasis on their superfractors. I forget what it was but I remember seeing something a few months back with Io Shirai doing something for hers and I know Phil Hughes is a huge card collector. He writes “Phil’s Pulls” on any 1/1 he signs and if you pull that card and send him proof, he’s offered to send like entire cases of cards to the person who pulls it.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Shawn aka CardDojo's video went up with my care package :) A lot of shine, Unparalleleds, a Gretzky Holoview, CEH XR Rookie, Kelces/Tyreeks, and some early 00s Upper Deck!

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Wow, that’s quite a hall. Even some Yankees stuff nice enough it didn’t make my stomach turn just seeing the Yankees logo! I thought I watched the last video when you sent him stuff but what’s the story with this guy? Sounded from this video he got back into card collecting in 2020 and started a relatively popular channel?

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, that’s quite a hall. Even some Yankees stuff nice enough it didn’t make my stomach turn just seeing the Yankees logo! I thought I watched the last video when you sent him stuff but what’s the story with this guy? Sounded from this video he got back into card collecting in 2020 and started a relatively popular channel?
He'd been a collector as a kid, got out, and started back into the Hobby around May/June. He does a lot of Football pack openings primarily (mostly chasing Mahomes, Kelce, Tyreek, Hardman Jr, KC players). Shawn's also gotten more into ripping Pokemon as of late and will throw in some NBA/MLB at times. He's just very... genuine compared to the majority of YT content creators IMO. He PCs Chiefs/Giants/Yankees/Jason Kidd, rips boxes/packs, and doesn't pretend to be a know-it-all type (aka 'Investor' hyping X Cards Gone Up or Down) whilst giving back to the community and generally just has fun with it all.

Did a spectacular "Holiday Extravaganza" where he had something like 130+ Packs of various sports including WWE from a dozen or so Hobby Boxes, threw them in a Santa bag, and ripped them throughout December so 1 pack on 12/1, 15 packs on 12/15, etc. Then he'd also do giveaways and such. It was pretty cool to follow.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I really enjoy listening to this guy talk about cards and his little anecdotes, like the fishing story and the cards getting stolen at church. He comes off as very genuine in his gratitude toward you as well. I forgot Justice played for the Yankees at one point.

And the SPX stuff, I've had a few of those in football in my day. Great stuff.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Just snagged this PSA 9 Vladimir Guerrero Sr. Rookie Card (1997 Donruss #355) for $16.04 Shipped. Threw out a $12.99 offer (the initial listing price was $17) but I've found success in people just wanting to unload cards like that and getting some solid steals in the process. Been thinking of scooping up such "Rookie" cards from the 90s raw but if I can find a PSA 9 or 10 at an affordable budget, I'd rather just go that route especially when people are paying $4 raw and almost $8-9 when shipping's thrown in.

s-l1600.jpg

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm bored so I thought this was a fun interesting exercise...

6 Facts You Didn't Know About the '93 Derek Jeter SP RC
1: It's part of a base subset called "Premier Prospects"
2: The subset also includes: Johnny Damon, Carlos Delgado, Carl Everett, Cliff Floyd, Chipper Jones, Javy Lopez, Manny Ramirez, Rondell White, and Dmitri Young
3: Jeter also had releases from Bowman (#511), Pinnacle (#457), Score (#489 Draft Pick), Select (#360 1st Round Draft Pick), Topps (#98 Draft Pick), and Upper Deck (#449 Top Prospect)
4: It was SP's debut baseball-related release. Johnny Damon would actually get a 2nd "Premier Prospect" Card in '94 SP while Derek Jeter did not get a base card release
5: Topps released a Prospects Card including Derek Jeter (#158) in 1994 alongside Orlando Miller, Brandon Wilson, and Mike Neal
6: 1993 Classic Best released a card including Derek Jeter's Autograph SN /1200 with his team as the Greensboro Hornets

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
2020-21 NBA Hoops was released today. Panini actually put it on their site for the same price range other places were putting it up - $350 per box. And it still sounds like it sold out in seconds and was a disaster.

People are already paying over $200 for LaMelo rookies. This is insanity for what is supposed to be a bargain product featuring a very weak draft class.

I know prices are always inflated upon initial release but I am not even optimistic on getting the rookies from the teams I follow at affordable prices as singles.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Coincidentally enough, I bought a PSA 7 Derek Jeter minor league card off of myslabs for $7.00 delivered. It arrived Tuesday. I listed it on Facebook marketplace for $25 to see what bites I could get and if not, Sr. is a Yankees fan. It sold within hours with zero negotiation. So it was put back in the mail this morning.

Too bad Facebook holds the money for a few days otherwise that'd be the quickest $18 I ever made.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
2020-21 NBA Hoops was released today. Panini actually put it on their site for the same price range other places were putting it up - $350 per box. And it still sounds like it sold out in seconds and was a disaster.

People are already paying over $200 for LaMelo rookies. This is insanity for what is supposed to be a bargain product featuring a very weak draft class.

I know prices are always inflated upon initial release but I am not even optimistic on getting the rookies from the teams I follow at affordable prices as singles.
That's so bonkers. I gave up when Hangers/Blasters were being sold for the price of Hobby Boxes and products like Rookies & Stars and paper Donruss (and I like Donruss) were seeing crazy sales in the NFL for their rookies when even I knew they were considered a 'basement' product. A R&S Red and Blue /35 Herbert went for $70... 2 Blaster Boxes were sold together for $60.

NBA really kicked off the bonkers everything thanks to Zion and Ja Morant and basically every rookie in that class that people tried to prospect on. Hat tipped completely to @snuffbox and those who can make a shitload of profit right now in their sales but a lot of people are going to get burned when their "hot pick" ends up being an average or even solid/good NBA player but not a GOAT. If you're investing for 3-6 months down the road and the market collapses say 2 months ahead... what then?

I'm targeting baseball HOFers or high career leaders in HRs in one cart at Beckett (12 Cards for $51, all serial #d) and it boggles my mind to see people spending hundreds or thousands on unproven, old rookies like Randy Arozarena. You have Miguel Cabrera and Albert Pujols, locks for the HOF you could "invest" in. You have Nelson Cruz who has a legitimate chance at 450 HRs for his career. Manny Machado has a chance to hit 300 HRs by age 30, Giancarlo Stanton should top 400 HRs in his career, and Pete Alonso seems completely forgotten about same for Christian Yelich.

I get the love for Aaron Judge but he's had 2 seasons of 27 HR "in his prime" and at best he's Nelson Cruz, Dave Kingman, or Adam Dunn. I don't get "investing" in him over somebody like Jose Altuve, who has a legit chance at 3000 hits, or a Machado/Stanton instead.

It feels like the sports card market went from being Mutual Funds (to an extent) to Day Trading over a year or two span and stunning is an understatement. I do think a lot of money coming in also was being used for other things (like my $$ went from Books/Blu-Rays/Movies at the Movie Theater to Sports Cards since I can't browse at B&N).

Last edited:

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Just completed another Beckett order with the above 12 MLB HOFers or 400+ HR hitters. Also did an NBA basket (11 cards for $44.80) with NBA HOFers including Prizm Ruby Wave cards of Larry Bird & Julius Erving, a Prizm Light Blue of John Havlicek, and Prizm Red of Julius Erving. Just those 4 cards, of a "hot" product in Prizm, of proven legitimate HOFers, cost me $17... and they are probably scarcer than any base 2020-21 NBA Hoops rookie card that people are paying dozens if not hundreds of dollars for.

Also got a 2004-05 Finest Refractor of Elgin Baylor, 2015-16 Prizm Ruby Wave of Kareem, and 2018-19 Prizm Red of Wilt Chamberlain in that order.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
That's so bonkers. I gave up when Hangers/Blasters were being sold for the price of Hobby Boxes and products like Rookies & Stars and paper Donruss (and I like Donruss) were seeing crazy sales in the NFL for their rookies when even I knew they were considered a 'basement' product. A R&S Red and Blue /35 Herbert went for $70... 2 Blaster Boxes were sold together for $60.

NBA really kicked off the bonkers everything thanks to Zion and Ja Morant and basically every rookie in that class that people tried to prospect on. Hat tipped completely to @snuffbox and those who can make a shitload of profit right now in their sales but a lot of people are going to get burned when their "hot pick" ends up being an average or even solid/good NBA player but not a GOAT. If you're investing for 3-6 months down the road and the market collapses say 2 months ahead... what then?

I'm targeting baseball HOFers or high career leaders in HRs in one cart at Beckett (12 Cards for $51, all serial #d) and it boggles my mind to see people spending hundreds or thousands on unproven, old rookies like Randy Arozarena. You have Miguel Cabrera and Albert Pujols, locks for the HOF you could "invest" in. You have Nelson Cruz who has a legitimate chance at 450 HRs for his career. Manny Machado has a chance to hit 300 HRs by age 30, Giancarlo Stanton should top 400 HRs in his career, and Pete Alonso seems completely forgotten about same for Christian Yelich.

I get the love for Aaron Judge but he's had 2 seasons of 27 HR "in his prime" and at best he's Nelson Cruz, Dave Kingman, or Adam Dunn. I don't get "investing" in him over somebody like Jose Altuve, who has a legit chance at 3000 hits, or a Machado/Stanton instead.

It feels like the sports card market went from being Mutual Funds (to an extent) to Day Trading over a year or two span and stunning is an understatement. I do think a lot of money coming in also was being used for other things (like my $$ went from Books/Blu-Rays/Movies at the Movie Theater to Sports Cards since I can't browse at B&N).
I think as frustrating as it is to not be able to have easy access to open a product myself right now, part of me feels bad for kids. I remember how special it was going to a store with my parents and leaving with a pack of cards. Doesn’t even seem possible for kids to get their hands on packs unless they have super rich parents at this point. As good of bargains for collector‘s like us to shift to singles, I can’t see many kids under 10 browsing eBay or Beckett Marketplace for steals.

You know, as much as our generation can complain about Boomers hanging on to all the jobs/wealth, we are in this new era where all the hobbies of my childhood (toys, cards, comics) are being dominated by people who grew up with them and making it harder for kids to enjoy or have access to. Then again, I hear often kids now rather watch videos on YouTube of kids playing with toys than do it themselves so I probably know nothing.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Not being able to open new stuff, especially basketball, is one of the worst parts of the current market. I completely agree that it's driving some collectors and customers away. I always liked when kids and families were at card shows, building collections, trying to make trades, etc. I hope they'll still be involved in the hobby when shows can happen again.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Not being able to open new stuff, especially basketball, is one of the worst parts of the current market. I completely agree that it's driving some collectors and customers away. I always liked when kids and families were at card shows, building collections, trying to make trades, etc. I hope they'll still be involved in the hobby when shows can happen again.
Totally agreed. A Hobby Box of 2020-21 NBA Hoops is now $430 at Cardboard Connection for 192 Cards and 1 more Auto ($2.24 per Card).

Retail Box = 192 Cards (1 Auto, 24 Inserts/Parallels)
Gravity Feed = 384 Cards (1 Auto, 48 Inserts/Parallels)
Fat Pack Box = 360 Cards (48 Inserts/Parallels)
Blaster Box = 88 Cards (1 Auto, 11 Inserts/Parallels)

If I'm blowing my cash on that product, I'm targeting either a Gravity Feed or Fat Pack Box for the number of cards and Inserts/Parallels. Gravity Feed is the equivalent to buying 2 Retail Boxes and getting an "extra" Autograph for that price difference.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Just looking at Ebay Sales of NBA Hoops cards ($80 MSRP for the Hobby Box IIRC by the way vs. the $415+ Price Tag)... Again you're getting roughly 192 cards in a Hobby Box and about 48 base RCs usually. In theory, you could make your money back and probably some profit but it definitely won't be 2X and it definitely won't be accomplished beyond the first 2-3 weeks of the product being released.

It's a really tough hill to climb when you're banking on very specific 'common' RCs (LaMelo's already seeing sales dropping almost 50%) and 1-2 very big name Autos in your box + maybe a few big names on Inserts. At best let's say you hit a big name Auto + 2 LaMelo Base RCs + a Lebron Insert = That'd net you $130 + $160 + $25 so around $315. That leaves you with 189 cards to get $115 just to make your money back, which is fairly doable but again that's assuming you got the bigger hits in your box.

Cole Anthony Auto = $200 (Smartly listed at $299)
Deni Avdija Auto = $200 (Smartly listed at $349.99)
Patrick Williams Auto = $175 (Smartly listed at $299.99)
LaMelo Ball Base RC = $140 + $140 + $125 + $115 + $105 + $100 + $99.99 + $85.00 + $80 + $71
Payton Pritchard Auto Green SP = $131.50
Cole Anthony Auto = $125
Theo Maledon Auto = $120
Killian Hayes Auto = $68
Precious Achiuwa Auto = $67.50
LaMelo Ball Now Playing Insert = $65 + $49.99
Aaron Nesmith Auto = $52.01
Luka Doncic Hipnotized Gold Foil + Courtside Insert = $49.99 ($25 per card)
Isaiah Stewart Auto = $40
Isaac Okoro Auto = $40
Lebron James Hipnotized Foil Insert = $39.99 + $30
Charles Barkley Legends of the Game Holo /199 = $35.00
Anthony Edwards RC + 2 Inserts = $34.50 ($11.50 per card) [Note: He was actually the #1 Pick I believe too!]
Udoka Azubuike Auto = $33.01
James Wiseman Now Playing Insert = $31
Stephon Marbury Auto /25 = $28
James Wiseman RC = $25
Luka Doncic Future Legends of the Game /999 = $25
Tyrese Maxey We Got Next Insert = $22
Kevin Durant Legends of the Game Silver /199 = $21.00
Immanuel Quickley RC = $21.00
Cassius Stanley Auto = $20.00 [Note: List price of $74.99]
Stephen Curry Hipnotized Insert = $20.00
Stephen Curry Spark Plugs Holo Insert = $20.00
Tyrese Haliburton RC = $20.00
Spud Webb Auto = $16.50
Cassius Winston RCs x3 = $15.00 ($5.00 per card)
Steve Nash Legends of the Game Insert /199 = $15.00
Payton Pritchard RC = $13.00
Obi Toppin RC = $11.50
Anthony Davis Tribute Holo = $11.00
Paul Pierce Legends of the Game /699 = $10.00
Tyrese Maxey RC = $10.00
Desmond Bane RC = $9.95
Anthony Davis Hipnotized Insert SP = $8.50
Skylar Mays Auto = $8.00
Patrick Williams RC = $7.99
Deni Avdija Playing Now Insert = $7.95
Killian Hayes Now Playing Silver Insert = $6.99
Cole Anthony RC = $6.00
Tyler Herro Future Legends of the Game Insert /999 = $5.00
Cole Anthony We Got Next Insert = $5.00
Tyler Herro Spark Plugs Insert = $5.00
CJ Elleby RC = $3.95
Shawn Kemp Zero Gravity Insert = $3.00
Isaiah Stewart RC = $2.99
Kenyon Martin Jr RC = $2.95
Karl Malone Legends of the Game Insert /699 = $2.50
D-Wade Silver Tribute SP = $1.00

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
The problem is a chunk of the stuff that commands dollar right now would be the stuff that if I pulled, I’d want in my collection.

I had found an auction the other day that was a lot of Payton Prichard, Tyrese Haliburton, Killian Hayes and Theo Maldanon rookies. I tried bidding in the closing moments but wasn’t high enough. It went for $28 plus $4 something in shipping. I’d want Payton for my Celtics stuff, Halliburton will be in the ROY talk for sure and Pistons have big plans for Hayes but I honestly think the batch of cards are solid guys but don’t see any of those guys getting to perennial All-Star status. Doesn’t really seem worth over $8 per card on a low end product. I mean, that looks like a steal based on the prices you posted for Haliburton but still seems not right long term.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think I might save up for a game worn jersey (not a relic card, the real thing). An ebay person has Steve "Mongo" McMichaels' 75th season throwback from the Halloween 1994 Packers-Bears Monsoon Game. His only season with GB, vs his former team, in a legendary game. I have a lot of memories of that 75 seasons stuff. Only $2k obo!

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's a very quick breakdown on the 1990 Impel Marvel Universe cards if anybody cares considering their current insanity.

1990 Impel Marvel Universe Series I Cards
162 Card Set: 1-82 are Individual Cards/Heroes and 83-162 are Subsets focused on Teams, Rivalries, and Classic Comics
- #88-#122 are the Rivalries, #123-#136 are the Comic Covers Subset, #137-#148 are the Teams Subset
Hologram Inserts Set (1 in 36 Packs): Cosmic Spider-Man, Magneto, Silver Surfer, Wolverine, and Spider-Man vs. Green Goblin
- Notable for Stan Lee's card - #161 - as the last in the set
- #106 is Spider-Man vs. Venom (iconic to any 80s/90s Kid). #110 is Daredevil vs. Punisher. #113 is Hulk vs. Wolverine and #114 is Hulk vs. Spider-Man. #115 is Captain America vs. Wolverine.
- #125 is X-Men #1. #130 is Avengers #1. #131 is Amazing Spider-Man #1. #134 is Incredible Hulk #181.

1991 Impel Marvel Universe Series II Cards
162 Card Set: Rivalries Subset are #91-#126, Weapons/Gadgets Subset are #127-#138, Teams are #148-#158
Holograms Checklist = Spider-Man, Hulk, Punisher, Doctor Doom, and Fantastic Four vs. Mole Man
Tin Collection was limited to 7,500 Sets
- #91 is Spider-Man vs. Venom (iconic to any 80s/90s Kid). #95 is Daredevil vs. Elektra (classic Frank Miller storyline). #120 is Thor vs. Loki and #125 is X-Men vs. Magneto

1992 Impel Marvel Universe Series III Cards

200 Card Set: Team Ups Subset are #71-#100, Super Villains Subset #101-#140, Rookies are #141-#149, Origins Subset are #161-#170, Teams Subset are #171-#183, and Milestones Subset are #192-#199.
- Milestones Subset includes #193 Days of Future Past, #195 Dark Phoenix Saga, #197 Death of Gwen Stacy, and #199 Wedding of Spider-Man
Holograms Inserts (1:12 Packs): Hulk, Thing, Wolverine, Venom, and Ghost Rider
- #85 has Vision and Scarlet Witch. #93 has Daredevil and Black Widow. One of the rare 'Team Up' cards to feature a female hero
- #179 X-Men in Gold Costume, #182 X-Men in Blue Costume

Status
Not open for further replies.