Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Puroresu Love & Resources V3

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah I don't think most of us hate it at all. @Slayer just found it kind of a weird pick as Mutoh has very little history with NOAH and looking at the card, his pick (Akiyama) is even in the semi-main!

GHC Heavyweight Championship
Go Shiozaki vs Keiji Muto

GHC National Championship
Kenoh vs Masakatsu Funaki

Tag Team Match
Naomichi Marufuji & Jun Akiyama vs Kaito Kiyomiya & Yoshiki Inamura

GHC Jr. Heavyweight Championship
Daisuke Harada vs Seiki Yoshioka

GHC Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Championship
Yoshinari Ogawa & HAYATA vs Kotaro Suzuki & Ikuto Hidaka

12-Man Tag Team Match
Takashi Sugiura & Kazushi Sakuraba & Kazuyuki Fujita & Kazunari Murakami & Kendo Kashin & Nosawa Rongai vs Katsuhiko Nakajima & Masa Kitamiya & Manabu Soya & Haoh & Nioh & Tadasuke

Tag Team Match
Muhammad Yone & Shuhei Taniguchi vs Masaaki Mochizuki & Masato Tanaka

6-MAN Tag Team Match
Atsushi Kotoge & Junta Miyawaki & Yasutaka Yano vs Hajime Ohara & YO-HEY & Kai Fujimura

Tag Team Match
Akitoshi Saito & Masao Inoue vs Daiki Inaba & Kinya Okada
---

There's some stuff on here that looks good but I DO think there are way too many old guys. There's nothing wrong with using old guys who can either still go (Mochizuki/Tanaka) or who can draw (Mutoh/Akiyama) but I think at least half the card is over 40 and a good third over 50. They make WWE look frisky. And some of them are fucking terrible (Kashin, Nosawa, Inoue, Yone)

The NJPW deal is a let down but it's still something. You have to take what you can get. It isn't like World is expensive if you really want to see it legally either.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can someone with more knowledge of NOAH confirm that Mutoh has a legitimate shot of winning the GHC Heavyweight Title next weekend? I was listening to a NJPW podcast the other day and one of the hosts mentioned offhand "Yeah. It's weird but Mutoh is probably going to win the title next weekend." and I was flabbergasted. I just assumed he was headlining this show as a last ditch effort to try and sell tickets for a huge arena show not that he was going to over one of the best workers in the world!

I sure fucking hope not. There is no logical reason for Mutoh to beat Go. Go is having the best run of his career and finally established himself as the Ace of NOAH. Losing to Mutoh would destroy everything they've done. Beating Mutoh would be the feather in the cap.

So yes, he is going to lose to Mutoh.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Maybe they're hinging their hopes on Vince getting wrong impression from AEW's partnership with New Japan Pro Wrestling and deciding to run MUTOH VS GOLDBERG!

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Also I was wondering "Did Mutoh Vs Goldberg already happen in early '00s All Japan?" and checked Cagematch.

It did not but Goldberg & Mutoh Vs KRONIK happened in 2003 All Japan which is EVEN WORSE! LOL- and @cobainwasmurdered posts that video just as I typed that. I got to watch that after I watch a '01 Nitro tomorrow.

Slayer

I have no lies or truth in what I say
Reaction score
I sure fucking hope not. There is no logical reason for Mutoh to beat Go. Go is having the best run of his career and finally established himself as the Ace of NOAH. Losing to Mutoh would destroy everything they've done. Beating Mutoh would be the feather in the cap.

So yes, he is going to lose to Mutoh.

This echoes my sentiment and concern 100%. I worry Mutoh's gonna get a "thank you for your service" (to puro as a whole, because he hasn't done shit for NOAH) win mainly for the sake of adding him to the list with Sasaki and Takayama as men who've won the big three puro belts, regardless of how good an idea it is right now. It's also gonna feel real flat if those same rumors are true that he'll likely just drop the belt immediately to his first challenger, probably Kaito, which would greatly undercut Kaito's personal story IMO. My hope/desire is that Go defends and then Kaito challenges for a rematch (I assume there will be a 20th anni show for the GHC belt in April, which would be the perfect time) to show he's not the same man Go defeated and then regains the belt

Also as CWM said before that, I don't hate Mutoh challenging because he is still a draw and a logical choice to try and fill the Budokan, but simultaneously I'm not fond of the idea either because my own feelings of Mutoh ATM; I'm not a hater but I just don't want to see him in this spot at this age and in his shape

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Dumb gaijin Kamala asks; so basically Mutoh winning the GHC Title next weekend would be kind of like if Sting had beaten Seth Rollins for the WWE Title at Night of Champions 2015? Marginally cool moment for a select group of fans but horrible for all other purposes.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I wouldn't totally rule out Sting winning the AEW World Title this year tbh.

Bah gawd. If Sting and Mutoh get World Title runs in 2021, it's really going to goad Hogan into begging Vince for one last run. :(

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Well, Ric Flair may get the Women’s tag titles with Lacey Evans at this rate. The only barrier I see is not Ric being a man that should be long retired but rather WWE finds it more important to give a singles champion a second prop to carry rather than utilizing more of their talent pool.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Just be glad we aren’t in an era where it would be acceptable for Ric to dress in drag to win the Women’s Tag Team Titles... or are we???

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
When's that NOAH show?

Roku network is lame but it fills my NewsRadio needs. Waiting and waiting for World to pop up, or a private pirate channel of some kind.

Slayer

I have no lies or truth in what I say
Reaction score
When's that NOAH show?
Feb 12th, so one week from tonight

Also, for no real reason, here's Go in a turtleneck and blazer

Es18LLEXMAUeLEy

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I just purchased the NOAH show.

Dismissive Drake picture= me watching old American wrestlers
Approving Drake picture= me watching old Japanese wrestlers
You know the wrestling bubble here, you better explain this is a meme of a popular musician and not you imitating the famous Q’Anon referee

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
There was another draw on today's Road To show. After not having a draw at a Korakuen Show since 2009, we've had two in past 14 days. I hope this doesn't mean we're gonna get a wave of 30 minute draws on these Road To shows! That's not how you generate excitement, Gedo!

Speaking of excitement, time for another Shows That Don't Warrant A Thread

NJPW The New Beginning in Hiroshima
February 10th & 11th
Live from Hiroshima Sun Plaza Hall in Hiroshima, Japan

Night 1
IWGP Junior Heavyweight Title Match
Hiromu Takahashi Vs SHO

IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Titles Match
The Guerillas of Destiny (c) (with Jado) Vs Dangerous Tekkers (with DOUKI)

Kota Ibushi & Tomoaki Honma Vs SANADA & Tetsuya Naito

Ten Man Tag
The Bullet Club (El Phantasmo, Taiji Ishimori, Jay White, EVIL, and Yujiro Takahashi) (with Gedo & Dick Togo) Vs CHAOS (Hirooki Goto, YOSHI-HASHI, Tomohiro Ishii, Kazuchika Okada, and Toru Yano)

Master Wato Vs BUSHI

Six Man Tag
Suzuki Gun (Minoru Suzuki, El Desperado & Yoshinobu Kanemaru) Vs The Young Lions (Yuya Ueumura, Gabriel Kidd, and Yota Tsuji)

Night Two
Match for the IWGP Heavyweight & IWGP Intercontinental Titles
Kota Ibushi (c) Vs SANADA

NEVER Openweight Six Man Tag Team Titles
CHAOS (Tomohiro Ishii, Hirooki Goto, and YOSHI-HASHI) (c) Vs The Bullet Club (Jay White & The Guerillas of Destiny) (with Gedo & Jado)

CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada & Toru Yano) Vs Bullet Club (EVIL & Dick Togo)

Six Man Tag
Tomoaki Honma, Sho, and Master Wato Vs LIJ (Tetsuya Naito, Hiromo Takahasi, and BUSHI)

Six Man Tag
Suzuki Gun (Minoru Suzuki, El Desperado, and Taiji Ishimori) Vs Bullet Club (Yujiro Takahashi, El Phantasmo & Taiji Ishimori)

Six Man Tag
Suzuki Gun (DOUKI & Dangerous Tekkers) Vs The Young Lions (Yuya Ueumura, Gabriel Kidd, and Yota Tsuji)

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've got nothing against draws every now and again but NJPW should be doing matches that are super short to teach people they can end out of nowhere, not telling us that a match can go forever. We already know that.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It was kind of cool when they did it two weeks-ish ago as a novelty on the last Road to Show before the last New Beginning show. Like "WOW! Who the hell is gonna win these matches?" Then they did exact same thing today on last Road To Show before a New Beginning show and it's markedly less cool. If they do it the next time on the last Road To show before a big event, I'm going to want to steal Gedo's bucket hat and stomp on it!

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I've got nothing against draws every now and again but NJPW should be doing matches that are super short to teach people they can end out of nowhere, not telling us that a match can go forever. We already know that.

antoni_inoki_crucifix.jpg

It was His plan.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Someone needs to tell Kevin Kelly to stop saying “The longest (insert Title match) in history was this time.” Cause it totally blows the fact that we are going break that record.

As a New Generation Kid, I can get behind the idea of Hiromu and BUSHI Vs El Phantasmo & Taiji Ishimori with the Junior Heavyweight Singles & Tag Belts on the line.

El Phantasmo also gets way better on color commentary each time he gets out there. I did do a head slap when he called ZSJ a soyboy though. Always an edgelord!

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I feel like using that term is intended as a heel move by a heel. If he was a baby face then the head slap would be justified.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Someone needs to tell Kevin Kelly to stop saying “The longest (insert Title match) in history was this time.” Cause it totally blows the fact that we are going break that record.

As a New Generation Kid, I can get behind the idea of Hiromu and BUSHI Vs El Phantasmo & Taiji Ishimori with the Junior Heavyweight Singles & Tag Belts on the line.

El Phantasmo also gets way better on color commentary each time he gets out there. I did do a head slap when he called ZSJ a soyboy though. Always an edgelord!

ELP had done a great job on commentary. My guess is they pulled him since Chris will be back after the next tour, which only has Japanese commentary (at least when I checked this morning). Much like Gino, he put over the faces while still going for the heels. He's got a future in it if he wants.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score

I thought Soyboy is out of fashion. Or at least it peaked in 2016 or 2017. I guess if they are having an old timey Mongolian gimmick, there's nothing wrong with dated alt-right insults.

Last edited:

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I feel like using that term is intended as a heel move by a heel. If he was a baby face then the head slap would be justified.
I get it's a heel trying to make me mad but I think using alt right insults (albeit dated ones as has been pointed) is pushing the wrong kind of buttons. Ala Bully Ray & Jay Briscoe's homophobic insults 10ish years ago.