Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Sports Cards Hobby Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I agree. I had been picking up any slab of minor interest under $10 - I like I got a Jamaal Tinsley Upper Deck rookie /1000 for $5.50, free shipping the other day. I can’t see jumping up higher prices if the price goes up because of some of the situations I mentioned the other day. Some of these are getting costs more than they are worth.

I have a couple bulk grading piles sitting to the side and I’m thinking I’m going to get them all submitted in the next couple days to lock in the current $12/$15 bulk prices. I’m not worried about shooting myself in the foot with quarterly specials because it seems since the boom, none of the Quarterly Specials since the fall have really been focused on areas I would send in.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Opened the second box of Topps 2021 tonight. Silver pack was worse. Autograph again but worse, this was Mets rookie pitcher Franklyn Kilome. I pulled a /300 of another veteran Mets pitcher but not remembering who. Probably the most interesting pull in the box was I noticed a backwards card, which is usually something is up. It was the SP photo variation of Roberto Clemente, which was pretty cool. I couldn’t see pictures of any card but the one I got it it appears comps on eBay right now is around $30.

Also noticed tonight that Topps is sending my next pile of redemption autographs from WWE Undisputed. It looks like it is a giant package of mostly Bayley, as I had gotten almost the entire rainbow with doubles of some and the Shorty G purple /5. I have the entire rainbow on him with the exception of the Red 1/1, which I never saw pop up. I think the only ones that haven’t been filled yet now are the Braun Strowman and Lana cards.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sold a sealed hobby box of 89 Topps for $50 (minus 13.75 for shipping) a graded GPK for $20 (minus 3 for shipping) and a few other smaller Facebook transactions to lower my Paypal credit card balance to $40 remaining of the Rickey Henderson rookie card. So looks like I'm going to hang on to it when it arrives. It's been stuck in Nashua for the last 3 days. I'm about to tap HQ to go flip tables.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Lol - got an email from Beckett Marketplace this morning that select sellers have 15% off $35 orders the entire month of February. Good to know on the second to last day of February. Guess that’s ok because I didn’t see a name I was familiar with and I’ve cooled down my overspending a bit outside of one card for a collection I had not seen hit the internet before and putting together a huge package for PSA ahead of the rumored price increase.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Lol - got an email from Beckett Marketplace this morning that select sellers have 15% off $35 orders the entire month of February. Good to know on the second to last day of February. Guess that’s ok because I didn’t see a name I was familiar with and I’ve cooled down my overspending a bit outside of one card for a collection I had not seen hit the internet before and putting together a huge package for PSA ahead of the rumored price increase.
Very curious what the PSA prices are gonna be raised to and what'll get effected submission wise.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
There doesn’t seem to be a number floating but people are pretty confident because I guess PSA got slammed even more when BGS raised their prices. At this point I probably can’t even renew my membership as it currently is so I figure make the most of the Value Bulk pricing that is only for members. I must’ve hit either too many card or too high value because as I got to the final two cards of my final submission it started erroring. So I guess my Topps Total Terrell Suggs rookie and my Prizm Chandler Jones rookie will wait for another day. I also accidentally put a 2018 Ronda Rousey WWE RC in my 1972-2017 tier pile so I didn’t get to submit.

Some are expecting a shut down of more levels and dramatic increases to slow people down but I think they have to walk a fine line to reduce all the random base junk coming in while not losing business.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Oh, so one other funky thing. My Topps redemptions showed up. Shorty G leaves me the Red 1/1 away from having the full autograph rainbow, as I have all the others plus the 1/1 autographed printing plate.

I got my pile of Bayleys and they were 2019 Undisputed. Hugger era and a super nice card but now I’m curious if she just didn’t submit the cards last year and they used them this year. I still got all matching rarities but odd. I had actually gotten two of the Gold ( /10) redemptions and they sent me 01/10 and 10/10, which I thought was cool that I have the first and last serial number as well as 20% of the world population of that card.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My SGC guy is currently able to get $15/card with about a week to 10 days turn around. Mid March he'll have a bulk price that'll be less than that. Right now if I sub through SGC solo it'll be $15/card but I wouldn't get his preferred turn around service. I have 3 pre-war cards on hand that need grading but I also have 3 more in the USPS twilight zone that I'm waiting on, so I'll hold off until his bulk rates drop.

Neither of my guys with PSA access have the new prices yet, which concerns me some. One of my guys has worked out an agreement with the comic grading company that just entered sports cards market. I think the bottom dollar, no sub price is $8 per card. I am mulling over what I could send in to try them out, but even if I like what I see, my Brees and Frank Thomas registries have priority in the grading game.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I just got my mail which was mostly cheap odds and ends I stumbled across but one surprise. I had been looking up rookies from this year’s Hoops a week or two ago and saw an auction ending for Clippers 2nd round pick Daniel Oturu. It was the base rookie and an insert card, I won it and with free shipping after tax it was $1.29 shipped. Shows up today, I had no idea the insert was actually a Jersey card! He hasn’t done anything yet but considering how overpriced this product is right now, it feels like a steal. Plus with the current market, if he has a 30-point game I could probably sell and get a ridiculous ROI.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Random TIL from Baseball Subsets

2003 Fleer Tradition: #67-#85 (SP) '63 Missing Link subset featuring active players who didn't appear in the 1963 Fleer Set. Notable Names = Luis Aparicio, Boog Powell, Lou Brock, Billy Williams, Al Kaline, Eddie Matthews, Harmon Killebrew, Gil Hodges, Yogi Berra, Whitey Ford, Willie Stargell, and Willie McCovey.

2006 Fleer Flair Showcase has a World Baseball Classic Moments set including CM-18: Sadaharu Oh

2013 Topps Heritage has a 'News Flashbacks' Insert that includes a card for the '64 Civil Rights Act, Jeopardy!, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr, Mary Poppins, The Rolling Stones, and The Beatles

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
1b50pzk.jpg

Not a bad first day at the new shop. There was a LOT of boxes and even more people. I got over whelmed and wound up leaving after I got to talk to Mr. Breaux. My friend no showed with his daughter so I spotted him the auto fee and got the 2nd auto for her.

Found the Mays in the baseball commons. Owner had it there due to condition issues, no price tag, let me buy it for $10.00. The Brees NT jersey was marked $8.50 and the mosaic was unpriced so we just agreed to $20 on the 3. Plus cost of autos and selfie with Mr. Breaux.

sgmlZe9.jpg

I'm so damned used to slouching for photos with everyone else shorter than me that I look ridiculous standing next to a professional football player.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
That's awesome stuff @SFH Was he mainly just signing stuff or did he actually collect cards himself too?

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I spent some time yesterday and today sorting my 2021 Topps. I wish I did it before I did my PSA scramble as a couple things I probably would’ve sent along. Got a complete base set and probably the bulk of a second set. I pulled all my duplicate Twins for my buddy who is a Twins fan. I actually came across a card I hadn’t realized I pulled - a Red (/199) Buster Posey. That was cool. I couldn’t figure out what the variant was that I had serial numbered to /300 of John Means since the borders and everything that would be different looked the same as the base. Apparently it is the Advanced Stats variant.

I also snagged a couple Hoops rookies fairly cheap today. Won Suns rookie Jalen Smith for $2.95 shipped (then I kicked myself because right after I found a seller with better feedback who had it for $1.50/free ship BIN). Got a lot of one of each of the Celtics rookies Pritchard and Nesmith for a little under $8 as it was .99 plus $6 shipping. Can’t wait til that shows up in a PWE. Also because I’ve been enjoying Anthony Edwards, I won one of him for I think $5 plus $3.5 shipping. Figured getting four rookies from the overpriced product for under $20 was solid. I messaged my previously referenced buddy after the wins and he had told me he had already set aside the Celtics duplicates for me from the box he bought. Oh well.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That's awesome stuff @SFH Was he mainly just signing stuff or did he actually collect cards himself too?
Best I could tell he was just signing. They had to herd us outside when he arrived at 1 for the signing and then we waited outside for 35 minutes so he COULD have been shopping inside and we'd never know.

I was actually kind of alarmed at how low some of his prices were. I found an autoed 8x10 of baseball HOFers like Nolan Ryan for 30 bucks. I found an aftermarket Eli Manning for $40. Like, cheap enough that I'm suspicious they're facsimile but didn't want to run home and get my loupe and light either, but not so cost prohibitive to not be worth the gamble if they're there next payday. Probably stuff he had autographed in person a long time ago and was sitting around the house so he just threw it in with the rest of the stock since he's in business now. We'll see.

I went ahead and left a thank you note in his Facebook group, he has a page and a group, I didn't really want to be too public with my praise. But I recounted some of the BS at other shops, without naming cities or shops, and thanked him for having a staff that did not present any of that nonsense. Also praised his customers because everyone seemed to be in the same full on geek out mode I was in, "WE FINALLY HAVE A CARD SHOP AGAIN!!!" as well as "HOLY SHIT THERE'S A LOT GOING ON IN HERE!"

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I spent some time yesterday and today sorting my 2021 Topps. I wish I did it before I did my PSA scramble as a couple things I probably would’ve sent along. Got a complete base set and probably the bulk of a second set. I pulled all my duplicate Twins for my buddy who is a Twins fan. I actually came across a card I hadn’t realized I pulled - a Red (/199) Buster Posey. That was cool. I couldn’t figure out what the variant was that I had serial numbered to /300 of John Means since the borders and everything that would be different looked the same as the base. Apparently it is the Advanced Stats variant.

I also snagged a couple Hoops rookies fairly cheap today. Won Suns rookie Jalen Smith for $2.95 shipped (then I kicked myself because right after I found a seller with better feedback who had it for $1.50/free ship BIN). Got a lot of one of each of the Celtics rookies Pritchard and Nesmith for a little under $8 as it was .99 plus $6 shipping. Can’t wait til that shows up in a PWE. Also because I’ve been enjoying Anthony Edwards, I won one of him for I think $5 plus $3.5 shipping. Figured getting four rookies from the overpriced product for under $20 was solid. I messaged my previously referenced buddy after the wins and he had told me he had already set aside the Celtics duplicates for me from the box he bought. Oh well.
Yeah. Unless you do proper research and really spot them, it can be easy to miss some of the "hits" in those 2021 Topps boxes.

Good deals on the rookies. I've been waiting to target some of the parallels of RCs from 2017-2020 in baseball but have been holding off a bit as I think they're still a little high price-wise for most names. With that said, depending on the player, you can get some base Topps '83 or '61 Retro cards of Rookies for under $1 on Beckett.

One thing I've noticed is that there's a lot of 90s Inserts that were 'Box Hits' (1:36 Packs, 1:48 Packs, etc.) that are super undervalued. Example: 1995-96 Hoops Hot List Insert was 1:32 S2 Hobby Boxes and Hakeem Olajuwon is $2.50, Shaq can be had for $5.00, David Robinson for $3.00, etc. The 1997-98 Hoops Frequent Flyer Club Inser was 1:36 S1 Hobby Boxes and Kobe is being offered for $200 yet Shaq is $13.35, Ray Allen is $4.50, and Kevin Garnett is $6.00.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Glad I don't grade (ignoring the waiting times alone). This is also all based on the 'Declared Value', which I get for Insurance purposes, but I also feel is kind of a bullshit reasoning to jack a card's price up arbitrarily based on a subjective grade done by a grader. If Card A = $900 in a PSA 8 but $1,500 in a PSA 9 that's a tacked on $50 fee you're paying for 1 higher grade on top of not being guaranteed that sales price value if the card goes down in demand.

PSA's New Prices
$100/Card - Regular
$150/Card - Express Service
$300/Card - Super Express Service
$600/Card - Walk-Through Service

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Just looked up the bulk value pricing for members too. $20 for vintage/modern and $25 for ultra modern (2017).

Think this may pop the bubble, at least on the grading side. Glad I got my big order on the way. I debated locking in some stragglers last night, I guess I should have...

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
One thing I will add in PSA’s defense is the sheer quantity of what they have coming in. I stayed up late Friday night to get three orders in - one item Regular and two large Bulk a value - one Modern and one Ultra-Modern.

I did the single card submission and by reviewing my time stamps, there was 2 1/2 hours between my submissions and the order numbers were 621 apart. So getting over 600 orders in two and a half hours. Looks like my third was completed about 2 hours and 40 minutes after #2 and again, 600 number difference. So that’s a range of over 1200 orders being submitted late Friday night/early Saturday alone. I actually insured the package significantly on this last go round not just because of some pricy and expensive cards but I’m worried about them properly received it with the mass of packages they must be getting.

Shortly after my first post following @HarleyQuinn this morning, I saw the PSA President sent an email. He alluded to the day of service turnaround guarantees are over which is nuts if the top dollar stuff ends up getting slowed down as much as some of these things. I can copy and paste that email later if folks here are interested. I think the cutoff for the member bulk pricing is now $499 value which is where the frozen economy was, so I am thinking Economy is gone for good. Originally with price increases it was indicated it would be temporary to play catch up but I cannot imagine these change for the better anytime soon. I will be happy if I get these latest cards back in 2021.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
One thing I will add in PSA’s defense is the sheer quantity of what they have coming in. I stayed up late Friday night to get three orders in - one item Regular and two large Bulk a value - one Modern and one Ultra-Modern.

I did the single card submission and by reviewing my time stamps, there was 2 1/2 hours between my submissions and the order numbers were 621 apart. So getting over 600 orders in two and a half hours. Looks like my third was completed about 2 hours and 40 minutes after #2 and again, 600 number difference. So that’s a range of over 1200 orders being submitted late Friday night/early Saturday alone. I actually insured the package significantly on this last go round not just because of some pricy and expensive cards but I’m worried about them properly received it with the mass of packages they must be getting.

Shortly after my first post following @HarleyQuinn this morning, I saw the PSA President sent an email. He alluded to the day of service turnaround guarantees are over which is nuts if the top dollar stuff ends up getting slowed down as much as some of these things. I can copy and paste that email later if folks here are interested. I think the cutoff for the member bulk pricing is now $499 value which is where the frozen economy was, so I am thinking Economy is gone for good. Originally with price increases it was indicated it would be temporary to play catch up but I cannot imagine these change for the better anytime soon. I will be happy if I get these latest cards back in 2021.
I'd be fascinated to read that e-mail. It's one thing to have the insane backlog that they have but now they're jacking up prices while still having (roughly) the same turnaround times. It's a testament to PSA's dominance & the desires of people doing the graded slabs through PSA that they are just accepting that 'Super Express' whatever were still almost a week-long turnaround and that 6-12 Month waiting is... worth it instead of doing business with a BGS/SGC/HGC/GMA/CGC.

Reactions: SFH

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Here is what came to PSA members today
A Message from the PSA President
color-bar-1200x10.png
Hello PSA Customers,

We entered 2021 with incredible momentum as graded trading cards were pushed further and further into the mainstream. PSA has been center stage, and as industry leaders, we are committed to the growth and advancement of the hobby. It’s only been two months, but there are many new developments to share to start the year, so let’s get started.
grey-line.png
GROUP LED BY NAT TURNER ACQUIRES CU, PSA
grey-line2.png
The Big One. PSA’s parent company, Collectors Universe, Inc., has been acquired by an investor group led by entrepreneur, technologist, and collector Nat Turner. We are already working with Nat and his team on major technology and process investments and will eagerly share these developments in the near future. One thing is certain – PSA is primed to go faster, achieve greater capacity, continually improve, and put transparency and customer communication first.

Here’s how Nat describes the vision for the new PSA in the press release announcing the closing of the transaction:

"The collectibles markets require scalable, modern infrastructure to support the maturation of the industry, increasing value of collectibles, and substantial demand for grading and authentication services. As a private company, we will have the flexibility to further invest in infrastructure, technology and R&D to reduce turnaround times and increase operational capacity, while protecting and enhancing the integrity and consistency of Collectors Universe’s best-in-class services."
– Nat Turner

It’s a new day at PSA and for your collection. The leading brand just leveled up.
grey-line3.png
PSA ANNOUNCES COMPLETE THROUGH DATES
grey-line4.png
Services defined by turnaround times are a thing of the past. Look, there’s no way around it. We are busy. And we want you to know just how busy we are before you make your submission decisions. This is partly to manage your expectations, but also to give you the transparency you need to make the most of the opportunities in today’s marketplace. Complete Through Dates ("CTD") are everything turnaround times are not. They are data driven, transparent, dynamic, and easy to understand.

A service level’s Complete Through Date is the day before the date of the oldest open order in the PSA system for that service level. In other words, it represents the date by which PSA has completed orders through. The CTD is based on order entry date, which means the day the order was formally entered into the PSA system for authentication and grading.

You can use CTDs to check the progress on your order by comparing the "Entered" date on your My Orders page to the service level’s Complete Through Date to get an idea as to the remaining time before your order will be completed. Posted CTDs update daily and you can follow along as the CTD advances closer to your order’s Entered date. Read more about PSA Complete Through Dates on our website.
grey-line5.png
THE PSA NETWORK EFFECT
grey-line6.png
PSA has long been the standard for third-party authentication and grading services. Validation of this fact can be seen in today’s market with PSA being synonymous with market valuations. Phrases like "what’s that in a PSA 10?" and "what does it go for in a PSA 9?" are common shorthand to quickly determine market values. Listen to any popular podcast and YouTube channel to hear it yourself. There are more buyers buying PSA cards and there are more sellers selling PSA cards. We all benefit from the PSA network effect.

This is great news for your collection. The wider the PSA network of collectors grows, the greater the opportunity for liquidity and commerce for your trading cards and collectibles. The hobby can flourish online, specifically in sight-unseen marketplaces, when there is a universal grading standard. The noticeable trend towards PSA as the lone value marker has only strengthened the overall marketplace. This happened largely because of you. We thank you for putting your trust in PSA, enabling the market to centralize around one standard for trading cards.
grey-line7.png
VIRTUAL CAREER FAIR – JOIN PSA ON MARCH 16
grey-line8.png
Hiring has gone into overdrive at PSA. We are adding new and exciting positions as we expand the capabilities of our operations and products. As a follow-up to our August 2020 Virtual Career Fair, PSA will host a second Virtual Career Fair on March 16 at 11 AM Pacific. Visit PSAcard.com/careers for a growing list of positions and be prepared to discuss your professional skillset with our hiring managers. Here are a few positional highlights: Card Graders, Software Engineers, Product Managers and many more.
grey-line9.png
OPERATIONAL FOOTPRINT EXPANDS
grey-line10.png
PSA announced in October that we had acquired an additional 62,870 square feet of office space in the building adjacent to ours that doubled our operational footprint. We are happy to announce that space is fully utilized and houses most of our growing operations staff. We have added 167 new employees since my last message on December 16, 2020. As you can see, with our new and expanded recruitment and training departments, we are hiring and on-boarding like never before. This has allowed us to increase our capacity and maximize output as we try to keep pace with the heightened market activity.
grey-line11.png
PSA PRICING UPDATE
grey-line12.png
As much as these efforts have grown PSA’s capacity, demand is still at an all-time high. Like any business in a high-demand state, regular analysis of pricing is necessary, and adjustments are required. I invite you to review today’s changes on the PSA Pricing page. Please keep in mind that any orders that were either submitted and printed using the Online Submission Center prior to today, are in transit to PSA, or are already at PSA will not be affected by these changes. Changes do apply to all incomplete and new orders, effective today.

The Economy Service remains suspended and Collectors Club vouchers remain sold out. Our popular Value Service continues to be available to Collectors Club members. To make the service line more inclusive, we raised the declared value threshold from $199 to $499 and lowered the submission minimum from 20 cards to 10 cards.

Lastly, to put a greater focus of our resources onto our card backlog, we are temporarily suspending our Crossover and Custom Encapsulation services.
grey-line13.png
PRODUCT ENHANCEMENTS
grey-line14.png
PSA will soon begin placing all submissions at the Regular service level and above in resealable plastic card sleeves to protect PSA holders from scuffs to the hard plastic. Additionally, PSA will release a new presentation box that will accompany the return of all encapsulated cards submitted at the Super Express level and higher. We are also exploring new inner-sleeve configurations to improve the presentation and minimize movement of the collectible within the PSA holder. The feedback from our community on this topic has made its way into our planning and will be delivered soon.

We have seen an influx of overall interest in trading cards and advancements that bring collectors virtually together while we remain physically distanced. We are in a whole new hobby in these ways. Throughout all the change, one thing that has remained constant is our community’s support for PSA. As such, PSA-graded cards continue to lead the marketplace in activity and price.

I know that our community is behind us 100% on our growth efforts. We are embracing this opportunity and will make the most of it for our collectors.

Let’s go.

Enjoy collecting,

Steve-ONLY-Sig-NEW-600x700.png

Steve Sloan
President

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Closing down the Crossover part caught my eye. Interesting.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Wow, I had kinda just skimmed. I kinda wondered in the current market if crossover was having some issues as I read on something the other day someone was trying to cross a BGS 9 to a minimum PSA 9, paid $200 based on the card value and it didn’t meet. So that person paid $200 to have someone look at their card and say “Nope”. And then probably take a long time in sending it back (which would be an additional cost).

The one thing I haven’t checked yet is if they adjusted the quarterly grading special prices. The prices had been in line with a slight discount to the precious structure which would now be a STEEP discount. I believe there also was a special on Crossovers, which makes me wonder if that just went away.

I did a quick skim on my eBay watchlist of Slabs to see if there is anything I should grab in relation to price hike. A few things that I’m watching that is cheaper than the service itself at the moment. Only one I jumped on was a 2018 Hoops rookie of Jaren Jackson Jr that was PSA 9. After shipping and tax it was $25.34. Would be $25 just for grading that card right now, let alone acquiring the card and all shipping charges. I could see his prices spiking if he plays well when he returns from injury in a few weeks so it may have potential to be a quick flip as opposed to hold as I know I have his Prizm rookie in one of my submissions sitting at PSA right now.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Definitely. You see a TON of people trying to crossover legitimately good cards just for the profit point e.g. BGS 9.5s and SGC 9s and such. I'm sure that was both a good financial boost to PSA but also simply a pain in the ass on PSA's end since I'd have to guess that 70% of the submitted cards probably wouldn't improve on the grade, which then led to people deciding to crack and submit those cards instead.

I can see that having an effect on the sales of BGS/SGC/GMA as fewer people decide to crack/submit due to the price point.

It's gonna be interesting to see if "PSA graded cards" spike even more making them tougher for your Joe Collector too. As you pointed out, the net profit can only be so much for a card so if the In Cost is $25, you're not gonna be selling your card for $15-$20 anymore and aiming for $30-$40 instead.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I’m really curious on the market. I saw something indicating last night 2019 Optic Zion rookies that were PSA 10 were selling at $230 last night and they jumped to $280 after the announcement came out. Not sure how the person reporting that came up because sellers jumping prices doesn’t necessarily equate to sales.

When I sent submissions I did a mix of cards for myself and stuff with full intention to sell. Curious what the market is like when I get them back. For instance, I sent a couple random Topps Hawkins and Ryder cards that no one has gotten graded yet. Their fan bases are so crazy to pay premiums for everything involving them and even Hawkins and Ryder themselves have talked about eBay saved search alerts for items of them. Curious if the ones I sent for selling will have a greater or lesser profit by the time they show up, which I am hoping will be before December.

I’m also curious with how much the market has gone crazy if they try upcharging people to higher rates. I locked in stuff at lower prices that now has become higher value. Hoping they would honor the original submission values given their slowdown, though if you read card message boards there already are people threatening to get the FTC involved, which I am not thinking is really plausible currently but could be if they end up doing a ton of upcharges to the new rates for people who have had their stuff there for over half a year now.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Lol - the chart from PSA. These are the dates they are on.

Walk-Through: 24 Feb 2021
Super Express: 23 Feb 2021
Express: 7 Jan 2021
Regular: 1 Nov 2020
Economy: 2 Aug 2020
Value - Ultra Modern: 9 July 2020
Value - Modern: 30 June 2020
Value - Vintage: 10 July 2020
Value - TCG: 8 July 2020
Quarterly Specials: 30 June 2020

I had stuff I submitted in November that wasn’t logged until the past few weeks. In a tier where I believe the log date is still working on June. Guess I’m not seeing my stuff until 2023.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
PSA is the WWE of Card Grading Companies. Biggest game in town, Fanboys/Pimpers, Stans Who'll Defend to the Death, Guys Who Promise to Quit Them But Keep Subbing, etc.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Haha, yeah. Delving into the card market a lot of the posting and “business aspects” are gross. I’m still nervous to sell cards when I see people flipping out that the PSA 10 they bought does look like a 10 to them.

With the surge, I decided to look up some recent comps on my PSA 8 Lebron Topps rookie and see those have been selling for $1300 or more in the last week. Very tempting that I could clear $1000 in profit after fees on it when it was a duplicate I bought for maybe $8 years back and spent maybe $100 on the grading process.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah. I've thought about selling but I don't feel like dealing with the bullshit return windows and people bitching about cards "not being a gem mint," trying to haggle over a price and rip me off saying GMA isn't a real grading company or trying to 'return' a worse copy of a card I'd sell, etc. At some point, the question becomes how much of the profit margin is worth any aggravation, negative experiences, etc. Even as a buyer I've done it very sporadically mostly because I only use it for graded slabbed cards and still have run into "issues" e.g. getting that BGS 9 Sosa instead of the PSA 9.

Still amusing that I jumped on the '90 UD Griffey Jr. PSA 9 (2nd year card, BRO) and that's already jumped from the $20 I paid to being sold at $35-$40 without shipping and I still think it's more a $15-$20 card personally.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It comes up at least once a week in the Myslabs facebook group if the owner is going to open the platform to further grading companies beyond PSA/BGS/SGC and he keeps noping on all of them. A lot of people definitely gang up on GMA topics and requests, so that platform would be unavailable to you as well.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
A rumor I saw said Nat Turner made a post on social media indicating the PSA backlog is 10 million cards waiting to be graded.

Sold a big ticket item on eBay tonight so I picked a couple other cheap slabs and auto. Won a Panini Crusade Ryan Anderson card /10 that was PSA 9 for under $9 shipped. Anderson will never fetch money but he was super nice when I talked to him before a game and a card with a print run of 10 and well graded seemed like a solid PC pickup. Also won an Essentials Zach Collins rookie PSA 10 for about $20 shipped. He’s been out injured again but he plays well when not injured. In current climate it could be a steal by this time next year, worst case scenario it is the same as the base price for grading same card right now. The auto was in looking at the ridiculous prices of the Hoops Rookie Ink, I stumbled on a seller that had Suns rookie Jalen Smith for about $20 shipped. Nice signature, he was a lottery pick and has been solid the couple times I’ve seen him get minutes. In current market, seemed to make sense as young guys are one good game away from being priced out at all times now.

Mail today was fruitful because I got the Premium Stock Ja Morant that I got a solid price for a few weeks back and I got the Red /5 Bayley card from the 2020 Topps Finest. I have that an entire rainbow except the Superfractor now. The seller that had it on eBay was looking for pennies under $600 for it. I tried an offer the other day but it seemed like the lowest they would go was $350, which I’m still not comfortable with for a single card. Listing went down today, no idea if it really sold as the seller had it up months ago, took it down and put it back up. May be doing that again but I don’t have faith it will hit a price I’m comfortable with as everything in this seller’s storefront looked overpriced to me. I get setting your own price for a card that is the only one but the Chrome Superfractor of Big Show which may be one of his last WWE products ever released sold for around $80 the other day. Pete Dunne went for $70-something, which I’m kicking myself for missing because I have a lot in that rainbow too, including the /5. Granted Bayley goes for higher prices than those guys regularly but 7.5x the going price of those seems like a dramatic jump.

Status
Not open for further replies.