Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Sports Cards Hobby Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't think I ever won a 'big' auction with PWCC. Had better luck with their best offer listings and auctions around $100 or less. Seemed like almost anything a couple hundred & up would go crazy.

I'm still a little more comfortable with Probstein, due to the volume of listings & all the confusion might help keep consigners from shilling their own stuff.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I like seeing so many current Milwaukee Brewers' cards steadily rising in price. It wont, at least at the current rate, continue forever. But it shows they're starting to get some of the national attention they deserve.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
I remember not being high on Jackie Bradley Jr. and thinking he would not succeed in Milwaukee but holy shit when I actually looked at his numbers: .176 BA, 24 BB vs. 105 K, just 6 HR in 359 PA, and a 45 OPS+.

Somebody paid $26 for a 2013 Bowman Chrome PSA 10 on 3/24. A 2013 Triple Threads RPA /50 (raw) went for $26 on 8/16.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
:-o wow... Fanatics taking over the MLB Trading Card license. Not sure how to feel about that

"That longevity was threatened Thursday, as The Action Network confirmed that Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association have given their exclusive licenses to Fanatics. The union deal doesn’t start before 2023, and the MLB deal won’t start until 2026.

Terms of the deal are unclear, but sources say that both MLB and MLBPA will have an equity stake in the new company formed from scratch just to produce trading cards. Fanatics has hired StockX founder Josh Luber to run the business, sources said."

EDIT: Rumblings that Fanatics is also working the NBPA and NFLPA to acquire them too.

Last edited:
Reactions: SFH

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I got behind on this thread.

I'm delighted by the PWCC news but I'm not exactly singing praise for eBay either. I'm just enjoying the shit show for the entertainment value.

@snuffbox that is the correct set that I collect. I missed out. Not sure if it was Probstein or PWCC but just last month they had another block of auctions from 59 Stooges, all graded and they all wound up ending a little higher than they needed to end.

I've had the red ass for Topps since 2013 or so, unfulfilled redemptions and piss poor replacements. I haven't purchased a proper Topps baseball product since the 06 Gordon craze. But for my own nostalgia and history nerd, it is going to be VERY strange not having Topps baseball.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I got one of the 59 Stooges. Card number 20, "How do you like this for a fancy finish."

Also won a PSA 9 card from the 1965 Gomer Pyle set!

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Shit I am behind on this thread. My spare Larry popped last week:

Ti26hAL.jpg

I knew it'd get a low grade, but it was in a lot of cards I didn't have and a spare Larry for reinvesting back into my collection seemed like a good idea. The sad part is my better conditioned Larry is still in Dallas for BVG grading. I'd have done the whole set SGC if I could start all over but I'm too deep into the BVG registry now.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Snagged the following basketball cards as I try to take advantage of Prizm on the cheap. Averaged $3.79 a card which beats spending $2,000 for a 2018-19 24 Pack Box/$600 for a 6 Pack Blaster or $2,300 for a 2019-20 Hobby Box/$230 for a 6 Pack Blaster

2018-19 Panini Prizm
Pink Ice - Shaquille O'Neal
Red - Wilt Chamberlain
Silver - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, David Robinson

2019-20 Panini Prizm
Orange Ice - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Purple Wave - Hakeem Olajuwon
Red Ice - Charles Barkley
Silver - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Shaquille O'Neal, David Robinson

2012-13 Panini Threads
Talented Twosome Insert - LeBron James/Dwyane Wade (Mostly to get a LeBron in the collection + it looked cool)

2019-20 Hoops
Winter Purple Parallel - Kobe Bryant

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Jumped on several Mike Evans/Chris Godwin cards via Burbank in case they make another Super Bowl run/win a 2nd Super Bowl along with a couple Patriots PC pick ups. I think Evans & Godwin are pretty undervalued considering they'll forever be tied to Brady for last year's Super Bowl win with a pretty good chance at getting a 2nd ring.

2015 Certified Mirror Red /99 - Mike Evans ($3)
2015 Prestige Xtra Points Gold /50 - Mike Evans ($2.80)
2016 Panini Prizm Blue Wave /149 - Mike Evans ($4)
2017 Certified Champions Mirror Red /99 - Mike Vrabel ($3)
2017 National Treasures Purple /75 - Mike Evans ($7.20)
2019 Panini Origins Red /299 - Chris Godwin ($5.40)
2019 Panini Prizm Blue Ice /99 - Chris Godwin ($10)
2020 National Treasures /99 - Julian Edelman ($8)
2020 Panini XR White /75 - Chris Godwin ($5)
2020 Phoenix Red /299 - Chris Godwin ($4)

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
A fantastic, must-watch video related to the videogame market and Heritage Auction manipulation/fraud. Worth highlighting that James Halpern and Heritage were also involved in the 1980s Coin explosion of the late 1980s that saw a peak in 1989/1990 then a precipitous fall afterwards.

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
A fantastic, must-watch video related to the videogame market and Heritage Auction manipulation/fraud. Worth highlighting that James Halpern and Heritage were also involved in the 1980s Coin explosion of the late 1980s that saw a peak in 1989/1990 then a precipitous fall afterwards.

This is absolutely bonkers.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Similar things to that are why I'm still leery of Ken Goldin here in 2021.
Agreed and IIRC he partnered up with PSA after Nat Turner made PSA private, which really raises a lot of eyebrows for me. From the Goldin site, "We use the industry's most-trusted resources for our authentication including PSA, PSA/DNA, JSA, SGC, and MEARS." yet zero mention of BGS.

Also, this is just insane, "According to GemRate, which calculates data from PSA’s reports, the company has graded more than 3.8 million cards since March and is currently on pace to grade about 8.6 million in a 12-month span."

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Speaking of grading, my facebook group subber finally emailed me that 2 of my June 2020 BGS subs popped. Also, my SGC bulk sub guy emailed me that the August sub was ready about a week ago. My mail is presently on hold (see the storm thread) and I don't have electricity anyway right now. Anyway, everything for the BGS sub was as expected but one of the Brees National Treasures cards got slammed with a 5.5 on surface, I'm sure once it is in hand I'm going to find it (or a helpful hobby pal will find it) and say to myself, "how did you miss that you putz?"

One of my 1901 SGC cards came back as altered via color added. The Danish card from 1925 was marked "service unavailable" even with all of the supporting documentation. They did not charge me for that one. I also submitted another 1901 tobacco card that got a 3 and two heavily worn Stooges cards that came back as 1s but I'm just looking to flip them for any profit as the Larry from that same bulk order will sell for cost of the whole thing.

Let's see when I get my mail.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
One of my 1901 SGC cards came back as altered via color added.
This is another reason why I'd trust SGC over BGS/PSA regarding vintage cards. I wonder if you'll notice it when it comes back e.g. there's a touchup somewhere or it's just "brighter" than another area.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My March 2021 CSG submission popped today. All modern cards. I subbed through the facebook group. Comparing my PDFs, though, this looks like pieces of two subs together. Dude that organizes is very overworked doing this so I'm going to be patient. Not that I can do much with incoming mail right now anyway.

S3NLAWy.png

Needless to say, this is not a pushover grading company. These were 100% cards I didn't have any emotional or financial attachment to, I figured at $8/card I could probably break even on each one with a collector. I did NOT see any of these getting hammered to the extent that they did. So it's pretty clear I have to take the lesson and recoup my costs through some of my BGS Sales. Will have scans when they reach me.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder if those two Sanders had print lines on them because they seem extraordinarily low for such ultra modern products. Any idea what the baseball card was?

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm thinking it is some Italian 1986 GPK cards I submitted, they are on the sub sheet in my records, but also the Rivers and the Gates are on a different PDF submitted at a different time, so I can't be too sure. There's an Eli Apple card in the mix between the two PDFs of submissions that are mixed in here so I don't know if he piece stuff together for bulk in a different order than what I submitted or what. I have a few Saints exclusive CSG subs that I did in April and May. Once those free up out of the logjam and I can start deleting old PDFs I think I'll have a clearer picture.

I've never been accused of being organized, and I try every effort to keep a level of organization for my hobby, but I still folly more times than not. My room where I keep all of my hobby stuff is such a wreck right now, it's a hoarder nightmare. I need an organized collector to help me out because every other organized type I know that would be willing to help is a "throw it away/donate it" kind of person.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Finally happened. Won an auction on the 11th. When no feedback or tracking popped up after a few days, I sent a message. No reply. Sent a second message a few days after that and, again, no reply. Can't request a refund until tomorrow (or midnight tonight maybe?), the last possible delivery date. It didn't arrive today but ebay's gotta ebay, I guess.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Was finally able to hook up my scanner. Tagged for size.

Early August SGC returns:

DqRVGFM.jpg

If you look on the right border starting around the guy's head going down to the "s" in "Ogden's" you'll see the black border was very poorly run over with a magic marker or sharpie as it dips into the card. Almost like a wave. Not to joke about Parkinson's but Michael J Fox could have drawn a better straight line. Also, the frayed corners look to be marker destroyed.
euLWZtr.jpg

6vmhHgm.jpg

RMzYGJw.jpg

CSG (subbed March 2021)

The "not in system" card was a Joe Burrow promo card put out by an unlicensed company.
yD5mBCl.jpg

3S0BEp4.jpg

foFbtgp.jpg

fq7bVx0.jpg

O8h4EXu.jpg

zf5DOwJ.jpg

xN3svsG.jpg

I located the reason for the 5 on the rear. I shared this on my sports card Youtube and a commenter suggested it was a typo and that they meant to grade it 9.5. Before I started composing an email to CSG I gave this a very good look over and put it through my scanner's highest resolution setting. Well, there's a huge crinkle on the back that I can't prove was missing prior to submission and its too early for me to start lobbing accusations at CSG. Unfortunately, even under heavy scanner magnification, it doesn't pop up on the computer screen so I deleted the scan of that area and just have to go with "trust me, there's a crinkle." It starts in the green next to the "n" in his first name and goes all the way down to the word "saints."
khouNPV.jpg

FuHviTM.jpg

BGS (June 2020)
AJqfS21.jpg

ymmrnSR.jpg

hQvkqrZ.jpg

POVWCJa.jpg

0NxLjtW.jpg

On this one I found it on the front side, right of Brees' arm in the gray space is some small hair indentions and a little bit above directly right of his elbow in the middle border there's a break in the silver line that probably also contributed to the 5.5.
hi5SOsL.jpg

youtube video reveal, I need to get a stand, this one handed bullshit is going to be the death of me.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Love those BGS National Treasures Drew Brees. Also, great job finding those surface flaws. A lot of times, it shows how high the magnification/how zoomed-in these graders get on the cards even if they are going through them relatively quickly.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Another "damning" indictment of grading companies and how variant they can be from grader to grader and company to company.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I get all the different people, different values, companies, having a bad day, etc stuff. But that drop to a 5 on the middle submission seems kinda drastic.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I get all the different people, different values, companies, having a bad day, etc stuff. But that drop to a 5 on the middle submission seems kinda drastic.
Even just the jump from a PSA 8 to a BGS 9.5 (just focusing purely on the grade with no financial aspect) is a pretty extreme difference too.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah. Things like the corners actully improving over time seem unlikely to me.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
In the coming months I'll be getting back some BGS cards I'd previously subbed with minimum grades and they came back as "authentic" unaltered, meaning they didn't get my minimum of whatever I wrote on the form in 2011/12 (probably 8.5). I cracked, wiped with a soft cloth, and resubmitted in the same general time frame as the deluge started on the companies. I'm curious to see what the same company grades them a second time.

My only other cross grading experience has been crossing a bunch of PSA 10s to BGS and they all came back 9.5 or 9. Nothing earth shattering and definitely not the disparity in the above video.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Did a quickie Beckett order trying to keep it under $40 (mission accomplished spending $37.50 total). I continue to gravitate towards legends & NT where possible: 2008 Donruss Classics Singles Platinum /25 Knute Rockne (One of CFB's legendary coaches. Iconic name and I'm a sucker for the Classics brand), 2010 Donruss Elite Stars Black /99 Matt Ryan (Boston College Grad makes him a PC guy for me), 2010 Playoff NT Ring of Honor /99 Phil Simms (fan of the card aesthetic with it referencing his Super Bowl MVP), 2012 National Treasures Base /99 Raymond Berry (GOAT WR for the Colts with Unitas), and 2012 National Treasures Century Silver /25 Fran Tarkenton (GOAT Vikings QB. Blueprint for the modern-day scrambling/passing QBs).

I've been trying to target much lower print runs where possible e.g. /49 or /50 or less. I've had a lot of success targeting older products from 2010-2015 as people trend for the current products instead.

• Love

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
NT and Flawless in from 2010 - present has probably consistently had my favorite artworks. Exquisite 2007-10 was good stuff too. Love the look and feel of thicker cardstock too.

Status
Not open for further replies.