Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Nuts Redeemed: AEW in Fall 2021

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Haven't some of these things been happening in the distant past of....right now?

"Buy a ticket to our ppv event and you'll see a big title match!"
"Sorry, Fox yelled at us so that match is happening on Smackdown tonight!"
"Sorry again, NBC yelled at us so we need to move a match to a Peacock ppv"
"Sorry again, yelled at again, match moved to Raw. No refunds!"

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Tonight's Dynamite, a completely normal, unhyped episode is the 3rd highest attended show in the company.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
In all fairness that is because this is the rescheduled Blood and Guts episode. They had like 11K tickets sold back in the spring of 2020.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
And it was originally scheduled to be their NYC/NJ area debut so I guess it's somewhat misleading to say it's an average episode.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Buy more airtime and Broadway that shit. It's exactly the thing the core audience wants and they don't completely shoot their wad. It would also be really good and I hate Omega.

Staff member
Reaction score
It's non-title so I expect something very interesting to happen towards the end.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Bryan should be Steamboat, Omega should be Flair, and Punk should be Funk.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Punk is working as a face against Hobbs in a Rampage match taped after Dynamite so I don't think he's going to be in that role.

Staff member
Reaction score
Black should get involved after beating Cody. Send him after the belt.

Staff member
Reaction score
Also gotta give a special shoutout to Tully for being evil personified even still. His facials while they were humiliating Sting were as incredible as ever. So glad these two are getting a last run. Tully especially because he had his career robbed from him for doing a line, which pretty much everyone else was doing at the time.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
They really have done a great job of making next week like a PPV on TV. I never thought when I got tickets to a TNA PPV back in 2013 to see Sting wrestle one last time that I'd get to see him again almost 10 years later...and on a show being aired on the TNT Network.

Not to mention Bryan-Omega (even though I think everyone half assumes it'll end in a schmozz) and Punk wrestling on Rampage. BUTT or Brody will yell at me for being a histrionic millennial but I feel like this is the promotion that we wanted WCW to be.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Both shows look good next week. AEW is getting so well rounded with brawls, technical stuff, highspot driven stuff, women's division getting better, so many tag teams and trios (and possibilities for more), stories and matches the audience actually wants, etc. There's something for everyone. Ratings, ppv buys, and ticket sales are telling most of the success story. But we can also see it from the reaction of the McMahons on their programming and by the behavior of their worshipful trolls on the internet,

I haven't been this excited for wrestling shows like the ones coming up next week since the CM Punk debut and WWE's botched Summerslam a few weeks ago.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I do not think it was possible for me to have picked a better show for me to return to attending live wrestling shows after (erm, during?) the pandemic than AEW Grand Slam. In a weird way, it ended up being a blessing in disguise that my work/comedy show schedule hasn't allowed me to go to any Limitless or Beyond shows.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The combination of booking, talent, and variety reminds me of stuff like 1989 WCW or peak Mid South. And, this is a little trickier as it's mostly just hokey studio tapings left so you have to mostly go by the stories of their loaded cards in the 60s/70s, AWA at it's best as well.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's classic old school booking with the sheen, legit big fight excitement and presentation of '96-'98 WCW and athleticism of modern independent wrestling.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I've never been lucky enough to go to a WrestleMania or Royal Rumble but I have gone to about a dozen WWE PPVs including 3 or 4 SummerSlams, a Survivor Series or two, and a few RAWs. Plus a TNA PPV, a few ROH PPVs, some ROH/NJPW supershows, and one standalone NJPW show and next Wednesday feels more exciting than all of them combined. It is genuinely like adult version of a kid waiting for Christmas.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think that might be a different audience into that kind of thing.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I also went to a WCW Saturday Night taping three nights after Slamboree '98 that I mention way too much and that's probably 2nd most excited I've been to a show. And I don't think Tony Khan will falsely promise a Goldberg-Saturn dark match

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
I've never been lucky enough to go to a WrestleMania or Royal Rumble but I have gone to about a dozen WWE PPVs including 3 or 4 SummerSlams, a Survivor Series or two, and a few RAWs. Plus a TNA PPV, a few ROH PPVs, some ROH/NJPW supershows, and one standalone NJPW show and next Wednesday feels more exciting than all of them combined. It is genuinely like adult version of a kid waiting for Christmas.

Outside of the last couple of ECW PPVs from the Hammerstein, and big GCW shows, I've never been to a big PPV caliber show before. I'm beyond excited for next Wednesday. This just feels special.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Some remain confused that it's the everyman connection that made Bryan such a huge, crossover star.