Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

MLB Playoffs 2021

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I was at game 2 in Milwaukee Saturday evening. Awesome experience, frustrating game. Seemed like the only Brewer batsman who did any prep for Max Fried was one of the youngest/least experienced on the team, Luis Urias. I hope he starts today down in Atlanta.

I wasn't troubled by that Boston call. I'm not into that self-enriching cheap team seeking stadium funding stuff so I don't really care if the baseball gods smile on Boston yet again instead of Tampa.

But I admit I would like it if those baseball gods would start taking my calls.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Given how maddeningly inconsistent they were in August-September (and how bad they looked in Game 1 of the ALDS), I'm v. surprised that the Red Sox are beating Tampa's friggin ass.

Maybe I jinxed it though and the bullpen will poop the bed and they'll lose Game 5...which would be more in line with how they've played last two months.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Without a "dog in the fight" I was hoping the Brewers would go far this year. They haven't been to a World Series in 39 years. One game away from elimination. This would be pretty damn disappointing after the year they had.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
I wasn't troubled by that Boston call. I'm not into that self-enriching cheap team seeking stadium funding stuff so I don't really care if the baseball gods smile on Boston yet again instead of Tampa.
I’m in this boat. Tampa winning would’ve been good for who exactly? The fans who don’t/can’t come to games and might lose their team in five years? Do they hold half a parade in Montreal?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Damn. It's satisfying to see John Cusack own that Barstool chud. From what I've gathered from interactions with actual Chicagoans, it's perfectly acceptable for Chicagoans over the age of 30 to root for both teams and actual rivalry is non existent. They only play each other six times a year! Just a way to steer hatred away from Cardinals fans, I guess.

alkeiper

Reaction score
We got the Giants (107-55) against the Dodgers (106-56). Three to two series win by the Dodgers, the last game decided by one run. That's an epic.

alkeiper

Reaction score
He didn't, but that's one of baseball's most subjective calls (even by the rulebook). Watching the replay in real time I thought he went too.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Laz Diaz was particularly awful behind the plate for both teams. These umpires are really the worst, especially on a big stage where calls can decide who wins a championship eventually. I don't think it was a strike 3 call prior to the RBI single in the 9th for the Astros but there were other pretty egregious calls missed.

Broward83

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Laz Diaz was particularly awful behind the plate for both teams. These umpires are really the worst, especially on a big stage where calls can decide who wins a championship eventually. I don't think it was a strike 3 call prior to the RBI single in the 9th for the Astros but there were other pretty egregious calls missed.
How bad was he? I had class from 7-9 CST and when I saw it was like, 2-1 Boston in the 6th, I just went to bed.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
How bad was he? I had class from 7-9 CST and when I saw it was like, 2-1 Boston in the 6th, I just went to bed.
ESPN was showing a graphic that he "missed" 23 calls, by far the worst of the postseason.

From a Jeff Passan tweet posted after the graphic was made: "Laz Diaz is now up to 23 missed ball-strike calls tonight. Worth noting: 12 of them were on pitches thrown by Red Sox pitchers, 11 were on pitches thrown by Astros pitchers. But the one everyone -- at least everyone in Boston -- is going to remember is the Nathan Eovaldi curve."

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Braves are going to win it all, aren't they? Funny because I completely dismissed them at the beginning of the playoffs and just assumed they would lose as they generally do in the playoffs. They seem to be on a 2019 Nats type run.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm not saying this as a concerned Red Sox fan but we don't want a Braves-Astros World Series cause imagine how many annoying "THE LIBERALS TRIED TO TAKE BASEBALL AWAY FROM US BUT LOOK AT US NOW!" posts from Greg Abbott, Ted Cruz, and MTG. :(