Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Nuts Redeemed: AEW in Fall 2021

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
So, the NHL on TNT is the gift that keeps on giving. Because they have to keep the stupid Wednesday night hockey thing going they're airing NHL games at 10 pm through the end of year. Because those games have to be live they are bumping Dynamite to 10 pm to Midnight (or whenever the game ends, so it could be much later) for the west coast and 11-1 am for Mountain.

So, basically AEW's ratings from Texas to the coast of California are going to be trash until the move in January.

WWE cucks online are going to have a field day the rest of this year.
"Turner Sports has reached a seven-year deal with the NHL for the package that's worth $225 million per season, sources confirmed."

"At the time, sources have revealed that AEW’s contract deal extension was for 4 years and worth $175 million, or just under $45 million per year. That deal would also include an option for TNT to re-sign AEW in 2024 at a significantly increased price."

You can argue ratings/demographics/etc. but TNT has invested a lot of money into the NHL and their season isn't 12 months long, so I don't know why TNT keeping NHL games at 10 PM EST is shocking to anybody unless you live under a bubble. Tuesdays/Wednesdays/Saturdays tend to be the pre-dominant NHL scheduling.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
I just want Tony Khan to take note and start booking penalty box matches.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
"Turner Sports has reached a seven-year deal with the NHL for the package that's worth $225 million per season, sources confirmed."

"At the time, sources have revealed that AEW’s contract deal extension was for 4 years and worth $175 million, or just under $45 million per year. That deal would also include an option for TNT to re-sign AEW in 2024 at a significantly increased price."

You can argue ratings/demographics/etc. but TNT has invested a lot of money into the NHL and their season isn't 12 months long, so I don't know why TNT keeping NHL games at 10 PM EST is shocking to anybody unless you live under a bubble. Tuesdays/Wednesdays/Saturdays tend to be the pre-dominant NHL scheduling.
I'm just saying that it sucks for AEW. I wish they could've went to TBS after the MLB playoffs.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
FUCK CODY!!

Best heel in the business. The fact that I don't know if he's really that delusional or if he knows he's a heel makes it the best.

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score
Cody winning made sense given he'd lost twice but I thought the match itself was not very good at all. Lot of sloppyness and it wasn't wrestled like a big blood feud.

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score
The crossrhodes through the table made me groan. As did the multiple replays showing Cody taking the entire bump.

Archer earlier in the show landing on his head doing a moonsault was fucking disgusting. I really wasn't a fan of him being allowed to continue the match even if it was just to do the rollup finish. It was not worth it.

Dandy

Reaction score
In the Suzuki match, Danielson told the ref he has until five to break a hold. I think he is playing a tweener that is just here to wrestle. The crowd will cheer him and he will acknowledge them, but he is also not going to be a squeaky clean face in the ring. He’ll wrestle heels and he’ll wrestle faces. And honestly, that is a great spot for him because he can be slid in anywhere.

Broward83

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If Danielson stays as this tweener that has no fucks to give, after seeing him in that interview with Kingston, it'll be interesting to see how he interacts with Page, should he win against Omega.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
I liked Danielson/Dustin a bunch. It was fun seeing Dustin play the underdog against a much smaller opponent. You don't get that a lot in wrestling.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
FCg3hB4WUAkRs7j

When doofus jock bullies try to mimic the weird kids.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Ospreay being on the JeriCruise gives me hope we'll get that damn Ospreay-CM Punk match soon. I don't care if he's a ponce. I want that match dammit.

We could get it for Full Gear but Ospreay's on that stupid NJPW show in San Jose that no one's gonna watch cause it's on at the same time.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Serena is the female Bret Hart. Everything she does looks good. Not super flashy. But, tremendous presence.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Real good show to attend alive. I really enjoyed main event but my tolerance of stupid comedy wrestling is higher than anyone here except maybe BBBD.

Even though it’s technically sold out, there is more than a few empty seats. It’s still most people have seen in this arena (and it’s like 75 to 90% full). 2 or 3x more than NXT house show I saw here in 2016-17ish and even more than Slammiversary 2013 (sorry Eric Bischoff)

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
It will never be my thing. But, I will admit the live crowd seemed to love the Hangman reveal.

I'm fine with not liking everything on a show (hell, you go to any era there is something I probably wouldn't like). But, man, I just don't think that much comedy is good for building a ppv main event.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It’s just a Halloween week one off.

this Eddie Kingston/Bryan Danielson match is rocking my balls off and is a good antidote for comedy match goofiness.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
Had no idea she's with Marty, wow.

Anyway I guess I wasn't fully opposed to what the main ended up being, although I can see how some would not like it. Maybe it's because I'm a GB mark, but these are matches I would see occasionally even in PWG too, and I'm cool with it. As long as its not an every week thing, and just every so often.

The rest of the show was fucking good shit, once again a strong opener as usual with Dynamite. How many weeks in a row have we gotten a really great opener on Dynamite anyway? That seems to be a given on this show now.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I was really coming around on the Elite. Was digging rejuvenated Cole's work, getting back into what I liked most about Omega years ago. Bucks can still go fuck themselves. But I hate that stupid comedy they bust out, and it felt very "fuck it we're winning let's do whatever we want" instead of useful, but as I said I hate that shit. It felt amplified by the fact I will never ever be into post-Brodie Dark Order and Hangman can do better.

That MJF/Darby bit was fantastic and I hope that's their Flair/Sting recurring program for years. Also I don't know when, but there will be a time when we get a Wardlow face turn and it will be some great stuff.

Tino Standard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So, as someone who hasn’t watched ROH and has seen minimal NJPW, the Ghostbusters thing completely flew over my head. Apparently, the Bullet Club “killed” Adam Cole on their YouTube show when he signed with WWE, and then when Cole lost his last NXT match a couple months ago, the Young Bucks made some references to ghosts/bringing someone back from the dead to tease Cole coming to AEW.

Fast forward to last night:

Even during the goofy shit, they are doing some pretty nuanced storytelling. I’ll be interested to see how much pre-AEW history they get into when the time comes.