Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Covering Coverage

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-38695203?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

And Nigel Farage is coming in

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/roger-ailes-may-be-subject-sec-investigation-sexual-harassment-claims-976496?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=THR%20Breaking%20News_now_2017-02-15%2012:41:08_ehayden&utm_term=hollywoodreporter_breakingnews

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
The suit is now headlined by Kelly Wright, a black reporter and anchor who has been with Fox News since 2003. Wright claims that he "has been effectively sidelined and asked to perform the role of a 'Jim Crow' -- the racist caricature of a Black entertainer."
Wright's allegations involve, among others, recently fired Fox News host Bill O'Reilly and current network co-president Bill Shine.

The suit claims that Wright was shunned from O'Reilly's now-canceled program, "The O'Reilly Factor," and that Shine "has demonstrated an obsession with race when it comes to discussions with Mr. Wright, including regularly asking him, 'how do Black people react to you' and 'how do you think White viewers look at you?'"

In one alleged example, Wright claims that he was rebuffed in his efforts to show a series of positive stories about the African-American community on the "Factor" because, according to the complaint, "it showed Blacks in 'too positive' a light."

Wright is one of 13 plaintiffs, all people of color who are either current or former Fox News employees, to sue the network in the last month charging racial discrimination.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Tonight....

C__T9c2U0AIkMqN.jpg

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I wasn't sure which thread to put this in, but Gianforte won his special election despite beating up a reporter. I wonder if more will turn to physical intimidation and violence against the media?

Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.theroot.com/white-habitual-line-stepper-bill-maher-calls-himself-a-1795778745?utm_source=theroot_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

The end of Real Time right there.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2017/06/03/hbo_and_bill_maher_are_very_very_sorry.html

Doesn't look like much will happen.

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
Anyone who thought something would happen after he's had a whole career of lines, statements, and jokes like this.

:-[

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Didn't he lose a job for very similar reasons before?

I think it's more telling of the current social norms in the US. Certain people are allowed to be publicly worse than they've ever been before.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
He lost his job before because he pissed off people on the right by saying the 9/11 hijackers were brave. This is different.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Different in that it was more offensive to people on the left when the left controls nary a branch of government?

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
It pissed of advertisers and sponsors on his old show that was on basic television. HBO doesn't have to worry about that and no matter the outrage there's no one out there that will actually cancel HBO because of Bill Maher.

That's the difference.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Maybe the subscribers will be told they're so enraged they will cut the cord, HBO included.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/333030/tobin-smith-fox-news-performance-art-hit-man-medium/

Smith reveals that, while paid as a contributor to appear in debate segments of various Fox panel shows, he would actually be given a script of the exchange he was to have 24 to 48 hours before the appearance:

The Fox News opinion panel scam works like this. More often than not, in my panel segments I was the protagonist or “designated hit man” aka the one called on by the host (as instructed by the producers in my ear or the ear of the host) to “kill ‘em.” You’d know I was the designated hit man when the panel show hosts tossed the final death blow 15–20 seconds to me when they say “Toby you have the final word.”

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Shouldn't that be in the fake news thread since it's saying something negative about Fox News?

Staff member
Reaction score
Al Franken has decided not to appear on Real Time.

That kind of thing is what will kill the show.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
https://youtu.be/yr5BQS79H7g

this is p. satisfying to watch. They should replace Bill with this guy, he was p. quick with the facts against the white supremacist.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Reza Aslan was fired for using a DIRTY WORD about Trump on Twitter. You can't criticize the president with some passion but you can throw racial slurs around smfh

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Giving Alex Jones a several-acres large soapbox might not have been Megyn Kelly's best idea.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
WCW went out of business and our continued desire to believe only the dumbest conspiracy theories got us a tv celebrity for president.