Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

TRTSM Recommends: Horror and Science Fiction Movies

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Re: TRTSM Recommends: Horror/Science Fiction Movies

Are we now officially adding sci-fi recs with horror?

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score

Sure, why not. We're already blurring the lines with Frankenstein and The Fly so go nuts (or mad scientist as the case may be).

Jingus

Integral Poster
Reaction score

My Hero Ronald Reagan said:
I would like to recommend Vacancy. Hitchcockesque, intelligent heroes, first 40 mins or so are pretty suspenseful.
Even though I've only seen it once, Vacancy lingers in my mind long afterwards. It really is an interesting flick, a completely different take on the "home invasion" genre. (Yeah, it happens in a movie, but it's still basically a home invasion flick and mostly follows the exact same beats as stuff like The Strangers.) The addition of the video tape was an extra-creepy layer of foreshadowing, the battle of wits between the heroes and villains was much more realistic and plausible than in most movies like this, and I loved having Check Out The Big Brains On BRAD as the lead antagonist.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score

I guess since sci-fi is fair game, I'll bring up how I finally watched The Martian and fucking loved it. I think Drew Goddard speaks to me personally.

Laz

Reaction score

Definitely need to add to this.

Baskin (2015), directed by Can Evrenol - Creepy locations, religious, cult
The Void (2016), directed by Jeremy Gillespie and Steven Kostanski - Creepy locations, supernatural, mad scientist, cult

Laz

Reaction score
We should be adding to this with the glut of sci-fi alone from the past few years.

Upgrade (2018, dir. Leigh Whannell) and Hardcore Henry (2015, dir. Ilya Naishuller) are fun near-future cyberpunk actioners.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Added some more movies to the main list!

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Still updating the list. Trying to add a mixture of modern day fare with 'classic' heavily played TV fare such as Beetlejuice, Hocus Pocus, Addams Family, etc. for added variety and depth. Note that this isn't necessarily just a 'Best of' because if you want that, go elsewhere. This list is more aimed at merging the classics with some under the radar stuff and even schlocky fare such as Man's Best Friend or Witchboard 2 you can just throw in and have some dumb fun with. Also been trying to add more to some genres - help me out on Religious stuff(!) along with spreading options from the 1950s - Modern Day.

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
Might as well make a few suggestions

Impetigore (2019) directed by Joko Anwar (Ghosts and Haunted Houses)

The Slayer (1982) directed by J.S. Cardone (Killer Stalkers aka "Slashers"

Vampyros Lesbos (1971) directed by Jess Franco (Vampires)

The Cat O' Nine Tails (1970) directed by Dario Argento (Thrillers)

The Dead Pit (1989) directed by Brett Leonard (Zombies)

May the Devil Take You (2018) directed by Timo Tjtahjanto (Possessions)

The Plague of the Zombies (1966) directed by John Gilling (Zombies)

All the Colors of the Dark (1972) directed by Sergio Martino (Satanic Cults)

I'll add some more recommendations somewhere along the line

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
I feel like I should verify my recommendations, as some are admittedly films I like but some may not.

-Vampyros Lesbos is from a director I usually find boring, and it may bore those looking for a more "traditional" genre film. That being said, if you want an off kilter, sexually charged exploitation film with a great soundtrack, then you may or may not want to dig in.

-The Slayer (in no way related to the poster) tends to get a mixed reaction when it comes to slasher movies (most of the performances are pretty bad) but I dig the slow burn nature of it-and man oh man the kills are nasty.

-The Dead Pit is admittedly a guilty pleasure, as it isn't particularly well made or acted (the acting in particular is abysmal). Nonetheless, if you like your horror cheesy and gory, you may (or may not) enjoy this.

Oh, and a few more recommendations

-Ringu (1998) directed by Hideo Nakata (Ghosts and Haunted Houses)

-I Walked With a Zombie (1943) directed by Jacques Toueneur) (Zombies) granted, this is pre Romero, so...

-Bone Tomahawk (2015) directed by S. Craig Zahler (Mutated People and Shapeshifters)

-What Have They Done to Solange (1972) directed by Massimo Dallamano (Psychological Thrillers)

-Fade To Black (1980) directed by Vernon Zimmerman (Killer Stalkers aka "Slashers")

-Absurd (1981) directed by Joe D'Amato (Killer Stalkers aka "Slashers") I'd hesitate to call it good, but man oh man is it gory

-Next of Kin (1982) directed by Tony Williams (Ghosts and Haunted Houses)

-Night of the Werewolf (1981) directed by Paul Naschy (Werewolves)

-A Lizard in Woman's Skin (1971) directed by Lucio Fulci (Psychological Thrillers)

-Magic (1978) Directed by Richard Attenborough (Killer Dolls)

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
All Of The Colors Of The Dark has been in my head for like three years.

I'll throw in some too that I don't see on the list, unless I missed some. I'm gonna have a spoiler free vague description to sell the movies.

Razorback (1984) - It's Jaws with a giant pig which should sound like trash, but it's handled with a seriousness that really works. Also, it's set in The Australian Outback which really makes it stand out. The Outback is almost a character in itself. There are some tense sequences and the way they handle the pig is done amazingly and it's about as scary as a movie about a giant pig could be. It's also directed by Russell Mulcahey right before he made Highlander and it has a very 80's Metal feel to it. There's also some incredible imagery and cinematography. I don't think it's streaming anywhere sadly

The Battery (2012) - Ultra low budget Zombie movie about a pitcher and catcher of a baseball team stuck in the zombie apocalypse. Has a very indie mumblecore style, but the relationship between the two characters is pretty fascinating and touching at times. It doesn't sound like horror, but it is a horror movie and has some interesting zombie scenarios. It's streaming on Prime I believe.

Tesis (1996) - Directoral debut of Alejandro Amenabar who has also directed movies like The Others, Open Your Eyes (which was later remade in America as Vanilla Sky), and The Sea Inside. Very ahead of it's time as it's a Psychological Horror about a student discovering a snuff tape and her investigation of what happened behind the tape. There's little to no gore and the disgusting scenarios are mostly hinted it. It's an amazing movie that is in the style of Se7en, Zodiac, or Silence Of The Lambs as it's quite long and it's one of those movies that sucks you in. Unlike those movies, there's some offbeat humor that actually works and doesn't take away from the grim subject matter. Not streaming anywhere sadly.

Banshee Chapter (2013) - Found footage movie about a college student studying the effects of MKUltra and what happened to her missing boyfriend. Has some terrific jump scares and well I'll just say this: Ted Levine plays a Hunter S. Thompson type author and is ridiculously entertaining. It's streaming on Tubi for free.

Lake Mungo (2008) - A mockumentary about a dead teenager trying to reach her family. Has some of the most haunting and chilling imagery that will stick with you long after the movie. About as realistic a portrayal of grief I've seen in a movie. Hugely recommended and it's streaming on Tubi for free.

The Witch Who Came From The Sea (1976) - Psychological horror about a mentally unstable woman, but is filmed and told in a psychadelic 70's type way. Has some very disturbing subject matter and is another movie that has stuck with me for a bit. Streaming on Prime.

Last edited:

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
In the future if you can add the directors, that helps me add them to the list quicker without having to use IMDB to look them up :)

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Updated the list with the above movies. Also added an 'Animated' category for 'families' but also because I wanted to throw stuff like Coraline or the recent Addams Family in too. I'm not too well-versed in Japanese (or Korean) horror but I added Ringu 2, The Grudge, Ju-on: The Grudge, The Eye (Japanese version), and Shutter (the non-US version) from memory.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
In the future if you can add the directors, that helps me add them to the list quicker without having to use IMDB to look them up :)

Noted. I'm gonna take a look at some of my big best of horror decade lists I made on Letterboxd and add a few more with the directors and year a little later.

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
Decided to add the following

-Kwaiden (1964)-directed by Masaki Kobayashi-Ghosts and Haunted Houses
-Goke, Body Snatcher From Hell (1968)-directed by Haijime Sato-Aliens and Outer Space
-Alone in the Dark (1982)-directed by Jack Shoulder-Killer Stalkers aka Slashers
-Memory of the Dead (2011)-directed by Valentin Javier Diment-Ghosts and Haunted Houses
-Shin Godzilla (2016)-directed by Hideaki Anno and Shinji Higuci-Killer Animals and Creatures
-Horror Hospital (1973)-directed by Anthony Balch-Evil Scientists and Technology
-Night of the Werewolf (1982)-directed by Paul Naschy-Werewolves
-Race With the Devil (1975)-directed by Jack Starrett-Satanic or Evil Cults
-What Have They Done to Your Daughters (1974)-directed by Massimo Dallamano-Psychological Thrillers
-The Living Skeleton (1968)-directed by Hiroki Matsuno-Ghosts and Haunted Houses
-The Vampire Doll (1970)-directed by Michio Yamamoto-Vampires
-Bloody Moon (1981)-directed by Jess Franco-Killer Stalkers aka Slashers
-Toolbox Murders (2004)-directed by Tobe Hooper-Killer Stalkers aka Slashers
-Grapes of Death (1978)-directed by Jean Rollin-Zombies

Laz

Reaction score
Love that movie. The possession dance is...well, a 15 year old Laz really enjoyed it.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score

Low budget but very well done 80s horror schlock, which I have been enjoying since the early 90s. Currently 3 bucks to rent on Prime.
This is also free on Shutter right now. I plan on revisiting it, along with the not as good as the original sequels.

I'll probably give the reboot a looksee too for some compare/contrast

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Night of The Demons 3 is the only one I don't like. 2 is almost as much fun as 1 and has multiple Morbid Angel songs on the soundtrack which works for me. The remake is decent enough. The original is one of my quintessential Halloween movies and I usually watch it every year around this time.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
Night of The Demons 3 is the only one I don't like. 2 is almost as much fun as 1 and has multiple Morbid Angel songs on the soundtrack which works for me. The remake is decent enough. The original is one of my quintessential Halloween movies and I usually watch it every year around this time.
I cant seem to find part 3 streaming anywhere, even for purchase on Prime. So I may have to inadveredly skip that one. I watched it eons ago and I don't recall it holding up very well at all. Kinda felt like a standalone film that they just added the NOTD branding to.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
This is also free on Shutter right now. I plan on revisiting it, along with the not as good as the original sequels.

I'll probably give the reboot a looksee too for some compare/contrast
I haven't seen the original in a while but the remake was pretty shitty (outside of some really solid creature makeup designs/effects). There are some solid gore effects but the writing was typical late 2000s cringe and it takes way too long for the demons to show up, then they take over really fast so the pacing is all over the place.

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score

new one from the director of "Hobo With a Shotgun". It looks okay (I've grown tired of neo retro throwbacks), but it's his first feature length film since then, as he's been doing "Dark Side of the Ring." It's available in theaters and VOD tomorrow. @Laz may or may not be interested.

Laz

Reaction score
I agree with everything you just said, @Gary . I'm both sick of the faux-80s sheen (which is ALWAYS more rooted in early 00s XTR3ME action flicks than it is legit 80s junkfood) and very interested in seeing this.

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
Oh hey, I accidently posted that in the wrong thread. To make up for that, here's a few recommendations

-The Mutilator (1985)-directed by Buddy Cooper (Killer Stalkers aka Slashers) I've mentioned this one in the past, but it didn't seem to be added to the slasher category, so hoping it is this time

-Sole Survivor (1984)-directed by Thom Eberhardt (Ghosts and Haunted Houses)

-Grave Robbers (1989)-directed by Rubén Galindo Jr. (Killer Stalkers aka Slashers)

-Don't Torture a Duckling (1972)-directed by Lucio Fulci (Psychological Thrillers)

-Tombs of the Blind Dead (1972)-directed by Amando de Ossorio (Zombies) seriously how has this not been added?

-Return of the Evil Dead (1972)-directed by Amando de Ossoario (Zombies) sequel to Tombs of the Blind Dead

-Night of the Demon (1980)-directed by James C. Wasson (Killer Animals and Creatures) Not a "good" movie, but a one of a kind, gory and sleazy example of trash. Also qualifies as a slasher.

-Cronos (1992)-directed by Guillermo Del Toro (Vampires)

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Added a lot of the 2022 films I'm aware of. Let me know if I've missed any good ones from 2018-2021 as I feel like I've probably overlooked some.

Laz

Reaction score
Ran through the top post briefly.

-Phantasm and Phantasm II being under "Slasher" irks me. I think that it should be "Psychological Thriller" due to the mindfuck nature of the series.

-Prince of Darkness needs to be moved from "Vampire" to "Satanic Cult" or "Aliens/Outer Space"

Laz

Reaction score
After this past Halloween season saw so many of us eating up all the spooky shit we could get? I think we need some updates!

The Black Phone (2022)
Totally Killer (2023)
Blood Quantum (2019)
The Conference (2023)