Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

2020 NFL Week 1: Brady to Gronk SPIKE Duo vs. Home Dome Brees/Kamara/Thomas

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
LET'S GO! KICKOFF SUNDAY HELL YES! PUMPED! EXCITED! GOT MY PATRIOTS PULLOVER ON!

Generic_Patriots_USATSI_9541909.jpg

Zetterberg is God

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yet I’ve seen more than a few people with Miami winning the division and the Bills not even making it. I know the Bills schedule isn’t easy and Allen is still a question mark but what am I missing with Miami?

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Yet I’ve seen more than a few people with Miami winning the division and the Bills not even making it. I know the Bills schedule isn’t easy and Allen is still a question mark but what am I missing with Miami?

Miami upgraded their defense quite a bit and still have a decent offense with an upgraded group at RB. They did go 5-4 after their 0-7 last year and clearly had a group that wanted to play hard for Brian Flores.

I had Miami going 5-11 but it also wouldn't shock me if they go as high as 7-9 either. I don't think they come close to winning the division at all but I think on paper they are much improved compared to last year.

Zetterberg is God

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I’m sure they’ve improved but the Bills offense did too and the already great defense didn’t get worse. I don’t know. Obviously they have to prove it but missing the playoffs would be bitterly disappointing.

Smartly Pretty

PujolJunkie
Reaction score
I think it's kind of weird that people are more excited by Miami ending last year 5-4 than they are about the Jets ending that year 6-2 but whatever. We're gonna go 7-9.

Staff member
Reaction score
just let me know if Ruggs is worth starting, plz

Carolina has a terrible pass defense, but honestly I'm not sure.

I think it's kind of weird that people are more excited by Miami ending last year 5-4 than they are about the Jets ending that year 6-2 but whatever. We're gonna go 7-9.

The Jets traded Jamal Adams for a good haul but he ain't on the team anymore, and they have Adam Gase who sucks complete shit. They'll be a lot better next season. The Dolphins on the other hand made huge additions in the offseason.

Zetterberg is God

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Welp. This is about as good as I can ask. Allen rolling after that fumble, Darnold sucking. You love to see it.

Staff member
Reaction score
Givers can't even beat the Jags now. This guy's career is cooked.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Bills really should have put 40+ on the Jets today if not for missed fgs and a turnover inside the 10. And they got super conservative as well on offense

The game wasn't this close

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Eagles lose to the FT after blowing a 17-0 lead. NFC East might be even worse than expected

Last edited:

Zetterberg is God

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Good win for the Bills. Fumbles need to be cleaned up and the injuries are concerning. God they need to crush Miami next week

Staff member
Reaction score
Cards win a big upset but that's just the first of many I think.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Oh God, Cowboy fans are going to complain about that PI call all week now.

Staff member
Reaction score
I also realized after watching the extended highlights of the Eagles game that I vastly underestimated the impact Chase Young would have in the NFL. The dude is everywhere to the point that when a team magically blocks him somehow at least two or three other dudes are getting pressure. It's wild.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I posted this on my Facebook and I'll offer it here:

"This is going to be a weird football season by the slop I'm seeing in the highlights and games I've watched. Whatever your favorite team winds up doing this year, give them a pass on stinking (unless its like the Browns who always stink). This applies doubly to anyone cheering for a team going through a coaching or major personnel change. They're human and their routine has been disrupted in their profession just like the rest of us.
And in the end remember, it's entertainment and playfully roasting your pals rooting for other squads should be good natured, not cruel."

I say this full well understanding this is probably it for Brees and Morstead. Possibly Payton. But in the grand scope of everything else there are still bigger things going on. Yeah "my team" won today, it wasn't pretty. It's pretty clear that some manner of game speed practice is needed, ie preseason games (just maybe not 4). As much as the sport fan in my wants to see my team go all the way, I honestly can't let my head get too caught up in it. I *will* throw angry fan tantrums if I see them dogging it, slacking off, or acting like jackasses during losing efforts. I will blow a gasket on referees for bad calls (like they called a penalty on the wrong Tampa player and the guy that committed the penalty pointed at himself). But yeah, a bad season is probably in the books for a lot of teams that probably would have done better in a more "traditional" enviorment.

Not long after I posted the above quote, Joe Buck said something similar and I did go take a shower in sulphuric acid to get the stink of agreeing with Joe Buck off of me :p.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Interesting question I just saw posed on Twitter. How much of Tom Brady's career longevity is owed to the fact that he's in the AFC East for all of his career up until now? I could probably count the number of GOOD non Pats AFC East teams since the '00s on one hand (and maybe have a finger or two left over). Is Brady even still playing into his 40s in a weird alternate timeline where he plays his whole career on The Bucs? I highly highly doubt it.

cc @HarleyQuinn

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting question I just saw posed on Twitter. How much of Tom Brady's career longevity is owed to the fact that he's in the AFC East for all of his career up until now? I could probably count the number of GOOD non Pats AFC East teams since the '00s on one hand (and maybe have a finger or two left over). Is Brady even still playing into his 40s in a weird alternate timeline where he plays his whole career on The Bucs? I highly highly doubt it.

cc @HarleyQuinn

The narrative of the 'easy' AFC East is pretty much proven to be bullshit as seen by Brady's career against every division (since 2019). A lot of that can be chalked up to Belichick's coaching prowess and whether Brady would've done 'as well' if he had to play a division 2x a year but still.

AFCS: 39-7 .848
AFCN: 31-7 .816
NFCS: 17-4 .810
NFCN: 16-4 .800
AFCE: 77-21 .786
NFCE: 14-6 .700
AFCW: 27-15 .643
NFCW: 9-5 .643

I think his 'path' to the playoffs was slightly easier but he still had to go through a lot of good teams throughout his career just to make it to the AFC Title Game/Super Bowls. It's not too dissimilar to the NFC in the early 90s IMO where you had a handful of the 'constant' teams in the playoffs fighting each other. The big thing was that the AFC didn't have a lot of consistency as teams would have very brief runs before fading backwards (think Chiefs/Chargers in the early to mid 00s, Bengals in the early 2010s). Also don't forget that Brady was usually playing the Colts/Steelers/Ravens/Broncos at some point during the regular season for most of his career alongside some tough NFC teams.

You don't see people making the argument that Ben Roethlisberger or Baltimore got to beat up on Cleveland and mediocre Cincinnati teams throughout the 2000s. Or Peyton Manning getting to coast by beating up on poor Houston/Jacksonville teams in his division.

Last edited:

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Leighton Vander Esch is out 6-8 weeks with his broken collarbone, proving he's a perfect replacement for Sean Lee as Cowboys LB.

Troy Vincent also said accountability measures would be taken if coaches/players don't wear face covering masks throughout the game. Apparently coaches and players were lowering the masks to shout at others during games.

Staff member
Reaction score
If you built an RB in a lab they would be like Derrick Henry.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Just finally sobered up after the Bengals game (and working for 10 hours). I hope that Zac Taylor learned from the 2 minute drill that it's better to have Burrow go 30-30 like Jameis last year and go 3-13 versus the conservative drivel they did for the first three quarters and go 5-11.

Burrow at his best looked like Dalton in his prime, so I'm OK with living with the mistakes (hopefully that INT to Ingram will make him think he's not Patrick Mahomes).

I wish the Bengals OL was a little bit better so we could see more from Burrow and Mixon.

Also I don't know if anyone else saw the game yesterday, but did the refs literally create a new penalty with the offsetting flags on Keenan Allen-Jessie Bates III on helmet-to-helmet contact? The real problem with it was the refs realized that Bates shouldn't be penalized because Allen dropped down after the catch, but instead of picking up the flag the Chargers basically got a free play after the off-setting penalties.