Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Better Call Saul

skullman80

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Great premiere....

The black and white part at the beginning was obviously post breaking bad he really did end up managing a Cinnabon like he said he would haha. Thought that was a nice touch.
His office being in the back of the nail salon...
"Money isn't besides the point it IS the point"...
Mike showing up early on I'm assuming will be a central character...
then the end with mother F'n TUCO!!!

All in all thought it was well done. Gilligan and company always do great cinematography so it felt like breaking bad that way, but felt like it's own show. Looking forward to tomorrow.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
I have this DVRd and plan to check it out when I get home tonight.

My question is, as someone who hasn't finished Breaking Bad yet (I'm up to season 2), yeah, I'm one of 8 people that hasn't yet, do I need to see that to get anything since this is a prequel?

skullman80

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Detective Ventriloquist said:
I have this DVRd and plan to check it out when I get home tonight.

My question is, as someone who hasn't finished Breaking Bad yet (I'm up to season 2), yeah, I'm one of 8 people that hasn't yet, do I need to see that to get anything since this is a prequel?

You don't have to have seen Breaking Bad, the show will work fine on it's own, but I think it will more enjoyable if you have seen Breaking Bad. There were quite a few call backs in the first episode that you would really enjoy and probably only get if you saw BB. That being said Vince Gilligan(main guy behind both BB and BCS) said you could watch this standalone and still enjoy it.

Reaction score
Tuco is the GOAT. Makes me wonder what else they could have done with him in Breaking Bad.

skullman80

Integral Poster
Reaction score
2nd episode thoughts..

mother F'n Tuco again. The whole first 30ish minutes with Tuco at home with the skater guys and Saul, and the skater guys thinking mother f'n Tuco was gonna be their payday...and them back out in the desert. Good times. Very reminiscent of Breaking Bad in intensity.
the line "I'm not sure if this is a situation I should look you in the eye or not" as tuco has a gun to his head
Saul talking his way out a death sentence for him and his two skater friends from Tuco... which lead to him saying..
"I just negotiated you down for a death sentence to a 6 month Probation.. I"m the greatest lawyer in the world.."
"Take off the space blanket chuck..."
Mike and Saul's continued interactions... "this isn't a me problem, this is a you problem"
Saul already contemplating a million dollar scheme in episode two.
"I'm a lawyer not a criminal"...

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
CATAM said:
The guy playing Nacho is a good actor.

He was in Orphan Black and was really, really good. It was just announced that he wasn't coming back for season 3, so I'm guessing it's because of this show, which I'm ok with.

NoCalMike

Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
Reaction score
Is there a timeline as to how long before the events of BB this is all taking place? Will there be times possibly in the future where we are seeing Saul work with other clients which is taking place at the same time as BB events?

Reaction score
About 6 years before the start of BB. There is a good possibility of going back to the present and probably the beginning of the Heisenberg empire.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
http://www.q107.com/2015/02/10/24297/?sc_ref=facebook

AMC is doing backflips over Better Call Saul!

The drama brought in the biggest premiere ratings ever for a cable series, ever!

Better Call Saul debuted with 6.9 million viewers and 4.4 million adults 18-49. The previous high for a cable premiere in the demo was USA’s “The Dead Zone” in 2002 with 4 million viewers in the demo.

CBright7831

2016/17 Poster of the Year
Reaction score
When it came to Saul in Breaking Bad...

I always figured he would have bought it toward the end of the show's run, so I was pleasantly surprised when he survived and went into hiding.

I also didn't know if I should put this in spoiler tags since this post had to with BB, but I did just to be on the safe side.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Surprised no talk for Episode 3. I can definitely say I'm hooked now. Strongest episode yet. Gonna be interesting to see how Saul/Jimmy devolves into a complete scumbag from here.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This week's episode was the weakest of the first five but also the funniest. The Sex Toilet running gag was really dumb but really funny.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Each of these potential clients, while lampooning some of the stupidity street lawyers deal with, are scary close to some shit I've heard from friends in that field. Especially the guy wanting to secede. A few yahoos make the news randomly but they're more prevalent than you think.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
King Kamala said:
This week's episode was the weakest of the first five but also the funniest. The Sex Toilet running gag was really dumb but really funny.
Agree 100% with this. I liked the episode, but thought it was the weakest one so far, but still better than most anything else out there. The toilet scene was gold.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I like the little things that remind you of when the show is taking place, like having a young kid named "Chandler".

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That was my favorite episode so far. Jonathan Banks was incredible and deserves his emmy nomination he didn't get for Breaking Bad. I've always wanted a Mike The Cleaner spinoff (even over Saul), so I loved all of this.

Also, the most serious episode yet, although Jimmy's Matlock getup cracked me up.

BlackFlagg

BlackFlagg
Reaction score
Great ep, Mike was always a character I wanted to learn more about when BB was going so nice to finally get some back story on him. Also made me realize at some point Gus is going to have to come into the picture, will be interesting to see how he first comes into contact with Saul and Mike.

Reaction score
Banks deserves an Emmy. And Saul mocking Mike's laugh LOL.

I'm actually not sure if Saul actually meets Gus. He's like a friend of a friend in BB.

MFer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, just give Banks the Emmy now (he did get nommed for BB at the end btw).

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think this would have been a great Breaking Bad episode, but I don't know if I like it as a Better Call Saul episode.