Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Billy Corgan buys the NWA..... WUT?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/TheNWAPod/status/1178793839236132871
Wow. They're really going for (and succeeding) at getting that 1986 studio wrestling aesthetic.

I think I just heard Brody cumming.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Looking at the spoilers from last night and the NWA's roster looks like TNA's roster in 2015/16 plus Colt Cabana, Jocephus, and Tim Storm (and one of my favorite indy workers Ashley Vox). Which I guess makes sense since that is when Corgan almost owned Impact/TNA but I'm not thinking "OMG! Nick Aldis, James Storm, and Ken Anderson on the same roster again!? SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY NOW!"

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
There's enough smaller promotions to make the NWA system work again. I love the potential this has.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
So...

Melina debuted to feud with Sienna for the Women's Championship
and
The Rock N Roll Express won the tag titles

The wrestling scene in 2019 is surreal in so many ways

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Reading the spoilers actually made me more interested in watching this. They're going to be working with Championship Wrestling from Hollywood, which is one of my favorite companies, as David Marquez, who owns CWFH, works NWA. There will be a lot of talent cross over. Plus Homicide and Eddie Kingston as a team is always a joy to watch.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
The first night of spoilers didn't totally enthrall me, but this second night comes off much better developed and the results seem much better. I'm all for this nostalgia waxing with who they are pushing at the top of the tag division for right now, it just simply makes sense given the history of the NWA.

I dig the CWFH connection too as that should go a long way to help both companies actually. There is plenty of quality talent in Hollywood they can use often and I hope they do.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Ricky & Robert winning the NWA Tag Team Titles confirms my belief that they absolutely should be in the NJPW World Tag Leagues. Make it happen, Gedo!

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
I also love the use of Caleb Konley. He's a guy I started following when he was in PPW, and he's fantastic. A great worker who has good charisma. He was so misused in Impact.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Mr. Anderson and Eli Drake are going to feud on this show.

Insert that two Spidermans pointing at each other meme

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
First episode is on YouTube and it was...not bad. Good promos from Aldis, Eli Drake, and Eddie Kingston. It'll take me a bit to familiarize myself with the roster but it definitely maintains that classic NWA feel while doing something new. Funny how they have a Tim and James Storm.

Seriously though, if you're sick of WWE there's really no excuse not to watch something else. MLW and NWA put their shows for free on YouTube, AEW has a bunch of stuff online, Impact is on Twitch, etc. It's a damn good time to be a wrestling fan.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
I really enjoyed the show. I love seeing Caleb Konley getting some air time. He's a great talent that Impact dropped the ball with. This is going to be fun!

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought the first episode was really fun. Solid main event, too.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Started this now. I think it's impossible to really hate any wrestling program starting off with Dokken.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
Avid Warehouse Enthusiast said:
Started this now. I think it's impossible to really hate any wrestling program starting off with Dokken.

Right? Man, I marked the fuck out at the intro video package. Corgan made the right call with that. Reeks of that nostalgic feel they are clearly going for.

I really enjoyed this first episode, even more than I thought I would. I grew up watching the later end of the TBS small studio era (late 80s) and also am such a mark for 80s/90s Memphis which was the same vibe. So with that said, this hit that lost niche in pro wrestling that I have been frankly wanting back for years. It's just a great throwback and the energy in a small studio environment really has me into it.

Hopefully they really fill that studio up better than I saw in the first episode though, as there was certainly open seats unfortunately. I think they probably shot themselves in the foot a bit and didn't release as many standing room tickets, etc as they could have. But word of mouth will benefit this in the future I'm sure.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Really enjoyed this week's show. It's cool to see some of the names that were casted off from the AEWs, ROHs, and Impacts of the world find a home. Trevor Murdoch randomly shows up in a quick match, Damien Sandow (now Aron Stevens) is going to be playing a cocky Hollywood heel, and Colt Cabana and Mr. Anderson were a tag team.

The promo work for these shows is really strong and that's definitely something that's going to differentiate them from the rest.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
NWA is returning to PPV on December 14th.

They're doing it from the TV studios, which I think is mildly disappointing. Guess they want to retain that vintage look but it'd have been cool for them to do it an old JCP venue like Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
Weak show this time around. They should have squashes and short matches followed by one solid match each week.

I've got a fair amount of good will towards Cabana, but I have no interest in watching him do comedy with Ken Anderson.

The tag champs are awful, but the main event could still have been good. The two fat guys who ran in gave the weakest beat down I've seen in a while. It's like they were afraid to touch Kingston and Homicide.

They spent way too much time on Aldis's valet and hyping up the sit down interview with them.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/CeeHawk/status/1196936758363119618
Dave Lagana and William P Corgan are gonna have a stern discussion with James E Cornette (then probably just let him continue as color commentator)

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
I know the shows were taped, and I'm 99% sure that the commentary was taped live at the same time. So they already listened to it and didn't edit it off. They can't act like they're shocked he said it, when they could've had it never make air.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Boomer Kamala said:
https://twitter.com/CeeHawk/status/1196936758363119618
Dave Lagana and William P Corgan are gonna have a stern discussion with James E Cornette (then probably just let him continue as color commentator)

Lagana's apology was pure bullshit. He didn't even use Cornette's name in it, "...one of our talents..." is what he said. They're not going to do anything about it.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Interesting to see what happens with NWA now. As the audience their show was geared for overlapped with the Cult of Cornette fanbase. And I'm guessing a lot of them won't watch now. He was also the biggest name associated with their show.

This really hurts them, even though it was the right thing to do.