Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Cobra Kai

BlackFlagg

BlackFlagg
Reaction score
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/karate-kid-youtube-series-ralph-macchio-william-zabka-offer-details-1026965

"Macchio revealed that the concept for the series — which picks up 30 years after Daniel topped Johnny in the All Valley Karate Tournament to find both running rival dojos.

Cobra Kai, which will debut in 2018, will explore Daniel as a father who is drawn back to the dojo when Johnny reopens Cobra Kai.

"Johnny befriends one [of Daniel's kids], and that is how it connects that world into our own rivalry world,"

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLtYmhj-0Kg

your legacy lives on sensei john kreese, hope you watch the hell outta this bro

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I'll definitely watch but I don't exactly have high expectations but damned if I didn't mark hard for the Macchio and Zabka face-off.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2_2oCRPrjM

Ah shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://cheddar.com/videos/the-karate-kid-returns-with-new-youtube-red-series

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Wait...is this leading to a Daniel/Johnny double turn? It looks really low budget but I can definitely get behind that storyline.

Conspiracy_Victim

Integral Poster
Reaction score
HSJ said:
Wait...is this leading to a Daniel/Johnny double turn? It looks really low budget but I can definitely get behind that storyline.

Karate Kid, like you've never seen it before! Produced and directed by Barney Stinson.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCwwxNbtK6Y

Paint by numbers plot and bad acting, it really is the 80s! Can't wait!

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
So I went to a screening of this last night. They played the first two episodes followed by the original Karate Kid. Without giving too much away, if you're a fan of the original, you're going to love the series.

Conspiracy_Victim

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Series is up on Youtube Red, but the first two episodes are free. It's not bad, although they've left the protagonist/antagonist up in the air. Johnny has reasons for what he's doing, as does Daniel (misguided though they may be). All in all though, it's pretty good.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah saw the first two eps. Loved it. And this is from the guys who did Harold and Kumar which i didn't care for at all.

BlackFlagg

BlackFlagg
Reaction score
Yeah, watched the first 2 eps and digging it, you can also get a free month of youtube red on initial sign up, so ready to binge the rest now.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Finished this last night. I loved it. A little too cheesy at times but all the callbacks were great and was surprised how layered a lot of the stories were. I love that they got the original actress who played Daniel's mother back.

Kreese showing up was something I expected and is a good hook to use if there's a season 2. If we do get another season, then we need Terry Silver, Mike Barnes, and Chozen (if he's still alive) back. They need to go all out with this.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I really enjoyed it. All the little callbacks were great.

I wonder if Johnny will decide he taught the kids wrong after seeing them in the tournament and realize he needs to change his style only to butt heads with Kreese. Or would he fall into Kreese's trap before escaping?

The best part is neither is presented as the good guy or bad guy. When I saw the previews I was worried there was a role reversal. In the end they're both childish assholes who make mistakes like every other adult.
I like that Daniel's wife is the only one that can see how stupid it all really is.

NoCalMike

Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
Reaction score
Loved it. I felt like Season 1 was much more about Johnny Lawrence's journey into 2018 than anything else. Maybe that is why it worked so well. Johnny was much more of a mystery going into the show since we've had more time with Larusso and assumed he would go on to be a success anyway. They added a lot of depth to Johnny's character without going full-on "cheesy redemption." He is trying to do the right thing, while still not sure what that means, and at the same time battling demons from the past due to who his own father figure(s) were growing up.

As far as other characters showing up in the future. It could happen. Mike Barnes though, not so sure. Yeah, they could do it, but if you think back to Karate Kid III, Barnes was really just a pawn of Terry Silver & John Kreese to get revenge on Daniel & Miyagi. He was a national karate champ ringer with no real emotional connection to Daniel. He was only there on business.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Hell yeah! They already released a teaser for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIV3xNz8NoM

On the Mike Barnes comment, yes, he was just a hired gun of Silver's but they could sell it that he was defeated at the height of his dominance, much like Johnny was, and how it haunted him. Or better yet, just have him and Silver team up again 30 years later.

I also expect a long-lost relative of Miyagi's (nephew or something) to get involved down the line.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I feel so good for Ralph Macchio who is legit one of the nicest people in the history of show business. And all the kids on the show are great. A true Hollywood feel good story all around

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I started 1x01 at 9 am and just finished (had a few errands to handle). Maybe I'm caught in the moment but this might be the best I've ever felt watching a TV show.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
After watching the KK trilogy again a few weeks ago (I didnt bother with the Hillary Swank sequel and of course not even going to watch the remake again) I ended up throwing this on. Needless to say, I ended up finishing the whole series later that night as it was that damn good.

Probably the best throwback return of a film, tv series, etc from my childhood. Just so much meticulous thought was put into the writing of these beloved characters, and I really appreciated the effort from a script perspective how they handled this. The homages to the original trilogy was amazing, and how they kept flashbacking to stuff in ways I didn't expect. As an example, they supposedly got extra footage of the karate tourney from the first film so they were able to use different camera perspectives, etc, in the flashbacks.

As others said, how often do you get this duel constant shifting antagonist/protagonist thing too? One episode it seemed one way and then the next it would shift and Johnny would be the sympathetic one. Then comes the next episode where you feel for both him and Daniel the same. It was very fleshed out well in that aspect and drew in a sense of realism that not many films implement. Plus the real life themes relating to bullying and such I found really on point with society as a whole today.

The performances underneath the main ones were just as impressive too. I am glad they are doing a season 2 as they have just scratched the surface on some stuff. I seriously can't wait.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Season 2 dropped today and I've already watched the first two episodes. Looks like the long-term storyline here is an epic team showdown between Cobra Kai and Daniel's camp, Miyagi-Do. Johnny is reluctant to trust Kreese at first but ultimately does as he watches Daniel get closer to Robbie, his son.

Probably will finish the whole series by the weekend.

Angle-plex

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So Season 2 kicked ass. I think I liked it better than the first season. What an ending also.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Yeah it was pretty damn good. On par with season one in my opinion. They put in a good hook if there's going to be a season three. I actually wouldn't mind if the series wrapped up then.