Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Conor retires again

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Re: Conor McGregor retires, doesn't retire, pulls out of UFC 200, wants to be on 200

Pretty much and Jones being on board with Conor is telling of where fighters with that level of power are at. Those two and Rousey are the only ones that could win in a battle like this against the UFC.

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Conor McGregor retires, doesn't retire, pulls out of UFC 200, wants to be on 200

Found this on Reddit, find it interesting given that Conor is now the one showing up on Twitter.

PQK4qn0.png

The more I think about it the more I think that he's running away from adversity. He begged for the fight and didn't show up to talk about it, knowing they would take him out of the fight? Pretty weird. It's weirder than weird even.

Also, that PPV wouldn't have done nearly the business that it did if RDA had been able to stay in the fight. They were having a hell of a time selling tickets before Nate got in there, he needs to be given his credit. That show did great business because two guys with big followings got in there. All this talk about nobody else on that stage making the UFC huge money, that's a pile of shit and also really delusional. I'm really surprised anyone buys into that trash, because I seem to remember a lot more people watching the UFC from card to card around that time Cain demolished Brock.

The guy re-energized the European market when it was on its death bed, made the eastern seaboard a huge selling point for the UFC despite MMA not being legal in NY, did all those media tours for the Aldo fight, did TUF etc.

This part is true, but the degree to which the Eastern seaboard part is true I don't know. The Chris did a hell of a job pushing the UFC in New York, and they're not running all that many shows in the Northeast right now either. Only two or three a year, but now that New York is in the game, probably twice as much. They've ignored many core markets for the sport in favor of putting fights in Vegas, now they're going to ignore other core markets in favor of putting fights in New York.

I think the sport is doing really good right now and I'd be more likely to put that at Ronda's feet than Conor's if I was to put it on any one person, but I don't think I believe either of them are solely responsible. The UFC did do a lot of things in the last few years that I think were bad for the sport, so it's funny how things have worked out. Things like putting so many fights in Vegas, oversaturating the Brazil market, ignoring the East, ignoring Northern California, ignoring Canada, UK, and the PNW, these are things that could have destroyed the sport. Another weird thing they do is that they decided to have hero fighters like Weidman and Jones almost never fight near their home area. The UFC also does have a problem with sending their fighters out there to do too much promotion. That being said, Conor knew what he was getting into when he begged for the rematch and I don't feel any sympathy. I think he wants more time to prepare for the fight, is playing mental warfare games (which don't work on Nate) or to not fight him again after all.

The people that ultimately suffer are the fighters that will never receive this kind of push again no matter how good they are. The Fertittas will have learned a lesson from this.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score

“He wanted the fight. I didn’t even ask for the fight. It was gonna be a big deal. If I’m gonna fight, it’s gonna be a big deal. I’ve been fighting everybody all the time for nothing anyway,” Diaz said. “I want big fights. If it’s gonna happen, let’s do it. If not, I’m not doing s--t.”

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Nate-Diaz-If-Conor-McGregor-Fight-Doesnt-Happen-at-UFC-200-Im-Going-on-Vacation-

the man right here

Reaction score

Mcgregor and Diaz should face each other at summerslam

Staff member
Reaction score

Dumb said:
“He wanted the fight. I didn’t even ask for the fight. It was gonna be a big deal. If I’m gonna fight, it’s gonna be a big deal. I’ve been fighting everybody all the time for nothing anyway,” Diaz said. “I want big fights. If it’s gonna happen, let’s do it. If not, I’m not doing s--t.”

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Nate-Diaz-If-Conor-McGregor-Fight-Doesnt-Happen-at-UFC-200-Im-Going-on-Vacation-

the man right here

Was thinking earlier about how until he fought Conor he was guaranteed less money than Sage Northcutt. He doesn't owe the UFC fucking shit, I'm glad this is the path he's headed. It's time for the UFC to make fights for the real superstars of this shit. The idea that some goof with spiky hair made 40/40 and a real fighter who created a persona and promoted himself made 20/20, that's fucking disgusting.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score

According to twitter Conor is back.

Staff member
Reaction score

He would have had to do some ass kissing.

Fökai

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Whether you think that Mac is dodging the fight or not...I'm glad that he outed UFC's fight promotion model, which is crossing the line of being superfluous and just plain outdated.

For example, Ronda Rousey didn't need to be doing every media interview in both Australia and the U.S. leading up to the Holm fight, but she was carrying the fight for Holm and for the entire promotion. (For all of the mentions of the UFC being media savvy, the WWE smokes them in their marketing approach. Pick any social media outlet and find one that the UFC does better). Airing a few training sessions through social media would've done well to substitute for that metric shitload of interviews she did in that final media blitz (all were IN PERSON), where you could clearly tell that she was worn out. McGregor, Lesnar, the Diaz Brothers and a few others have proven that a few quality soundbytes are enough to carry a fight.

McGregor's tweet proves that making money doesn't have to be hard.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Honestly in 2016, are that many press conferences/interviews really necessary? I mean, especially in person. FFS, we're supposed to be living in a digital age now.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Damaramu said:
According to twitter Conor is back.

@TheNotoriousMMA said:
Happy to announce that I am BACK on UFC 200! Shout out to @danawhite and @lorenzofertitta on getting this one done for the fans. #Respect

jimmy no nose

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Re: McGregor retires/doesn't retire/out of UFC 200/wants to be on 200/back on 200

All of the MMA reporters who have commented seem to think Conor is just messing with everyone and nothing has actually changed.

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Re: McGregor retires/doesn't retire/out of UFC 200/wants to be on 200/back on 200

Yeah as of right now his tweet is the only source but it's enough that mainstream media has picked it up and is treating it as legit.

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score

This is totally unrelated news for Conor but in terms of Ireland-related stuff, shitty news as Paddy Holohan has been forced to retire from mma due to medical issues. Sucks as 125 needs fresh talent and the guy always put on fun fights. At least he went out headlining a show in his home town in a wild fight.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score

‎@WWESheamus said:
Happy to announce that I am BACK on WWE RAW!
Shout out to @RusevBUL and @VivaDelRio on getting this one done for the fans. #Respect

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score

http://www.tmz.com/2016/04/25/conor-mcgregor-dana-white-ufc-200-fight/

Sounds like he's still off the card.

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score

At this point you have to look at this situation and believe that the UFC is holding the cards. Comes off as a desperate final attempt by Conor IMO. Like Eddie Alvarez said from a short-term financial perspective it'd make sense by UFC to cave but long-term it sets a dangerous precedent.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score

Lord of The Curry said:
At this point you have to look at this situation and believe that the UFC is holding the cards. Comes off as a desperate final attempt by Conor IMO. Like Eddie Alvarez said from a short-term financial perspective it'd make sense by UFC to cave but long-term it sets a dangerous precedent.

Agreed, Conor tweeting that out makes him look desperate. I think Jones/Cormier will make up a lot of the buyrates lost with Conor not being there so his leverage has been hurt. Also, it seems like most fans are willing to move on without him.

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score

I dunno about DC/Jones happening. Even if Cormier was willing to risk coming back two months earlier then projected the fact that Jones went and sat down in a wheelchair after the fight on Saturday is, to me, symbolic of his support for Conor as he has been one of the more vocal guys. I think the wheelchair thing was Bones sending a message to the UFC.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score

I think you might be reading too much into that:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/4/24/11496890/jon-jones-says-he-feels-great-enough-to-fight-at-ufc-200

Staff member
Reaction score

The UFC always thinks they hold the cards, even in situations where they don't. For Conor to get back on this card I think he'd have to give up a lot of money or vacate his belt. At the same time, given his golden boy status no longer exists to them, maybe they feel he has to defend his belt now no matter what, or that he should have to fight somebody like Khabib at 155. He severely overplayed his hand.

Look what happened to Randy when he came back. Put him straight in a fight with Brock. When somebody fucks with the UFC, history shows they give no fucks.

Fökai

Integral Poster
Reaction score

I read that Khabib has already turned down a fight at 200 because it conflicts with Ramadan.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score

yeah, but 209 probably meant that they would make that fight at some other date and keep Conor off of UFC 200.

Staff member
Reaction score

The UFC also now has UFC 198 and 200, Conor return, Nick Diaz return, Nate fight, MSG show, and another slew of title fights remaining this year that could draw big money (Lawler/Condit 2, for one). That's why it seems like they aren't too bothered by this. They now have more big shows coming up than is normal for them.

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score

I haven't read the article but some dude at ESPN did "the math" and calculated that Conor being off the card will cost UFC at minimum 45 million. I have my doubts.

Staff member
Reaction score

45 million is their cut from PPV sales if they sold 1.5 million. So yeah, no.

Fökai

Integral Poster
Reaction score

White told ESPN that the first McGregor-Diaz fight (UFC 196) did 1.5 million pay-per-view buys. Now compare that to Jon Jones-Daniel Cormier, which seemed to be the alternative for the main event at UFC 200. The first go-around of that fight did 800,000 buys, at least according to Cormier.

Because there's no other fight on the card who would draw any other outside interest -- Ronda Rousey, after losing to Holly Holm, was quickly discounted -- it's all about McGregor.

Let's conservatively say the difference between McGregor-Diaz II and Jones-Cormier II is 500,000 buys. If we believe White's numbers for UFC 196, plus we give that number a sharp 25 percent haircut given that McGregor lost to Diaz in early March, we're still at 525,000 more buys. At $70 a pop, that's $36.7 million in additional gross revenue to the UFC.

With McGregor back on the card, expect ticket prices to top that of 196 and expect attendance to be just as good. Assuming that, a live gate number of $10 million is achievable. Without McGregor, there's no way that much of a price jump can be justified, plus we'd expect to see empty seats. Difference to the live gate is then roughly $7 million. Throw in another $800,000 for additional merchandise royalties and concession revenue with more butts in the seats.

For UFC 200, the organization is having a fan fest, charging $45, $65 and $75 for one-, two- and three-day tickets. If McGregor isn't fighting, figure the hang-around crowd for this is 10,000 fewer people. That's another half-million dollars, which pushes the McGregor bump-up to $45 million.

Now his estimates for the PPV buyrates are wrong (obviously because they don't keep 100% of revenue), but he didn't account for the overall financial impact to Vegas that Conor would bring. He doesn't play with the same set of fans that other fighters do. I can believe a reasonable number being placed at around $25 million.

The difference between a McGregor/Diaz rematch on top and a Jones/DC rematch on top could be a million buys this time around.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score

I don't know by how much but while there would be a significant difference, Nate Diaz is a big piece of that. Conor vs. Edgar or Aldo or Holloway wouldn't do nearly as much business.

Staff member
Reaction score

Nate is going on vacation. So that's that.

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score

I imagine UFC tries a hail mary attempt to book GSP and if not says fuck it. Wonder if they'll spite Conor by stripping him and making Aldo/Edgar 2 for his belt. Gotta believe that'll be the new main event.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Staff member
Reaction score

I think Conor and Nate will fight in late August or early September. The UFC makes more money this way and Conor won't have to promote the show very much because it isn't UFC 200.

But after Conor loses that, if he tries another power play the UFC will bench his ass until he's too broke to disagree with them.