Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Dark Side of the Ring

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
There was a few things that certainly stood out as completely fucked up on Vince/WWE's part after that episode.

First, the actual harness clip of course. That was negligent as FUCK that this was even suggested to be used, much less implimented. What in the hell was the rigger even remotely thinking? Unbelievable.

Then the fact that WWE not only didn't stop the show (which comes off even more sleazier now than it even did in 99) but they didn't even fucking clean up the ring canvas of his fucking BLOOD? As the workers continued to do matches during all this. So sad.

Now I get why seemingly as protocol, WWE changes the ring mat endlessly during TV tapings and ppvs. Even when they really don't particularly need to.

And quite frankly, shameful that the company gets Jerry to do some sort of bullshit spin on all of this, especially the shit about Martha trying to make Hart family members do this and that, I have never heard that before. I didn't even think the piece was terribly exposing of the companies' negligence in the first place, so I felt this response by the legal team was absolutely unwarranted.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Kevin Dunn telling Jim Ross, "Hey Owen died. And you're back in 10... 9..." was some really cold shit especially since nobody was feeding JR/Lawler any updates as this was going on so as Ross said, he basically had 10 seconds to come up with how to tell the world that Owen Hart had just died.

Staff member
Reaction score
While that was really fucked up, it's also kind of excusable. Nobody was in their right frame of mind after that happened.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
More wrestling fans in the 18 to 34 demo watched the Owen episode than last week's NXT so no wonder WWE was so defensive.

Worth noting that Viceland has way less availability than USA Network. So yeah, not great for WWE.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2020/05/owen-hart-bonus-footage-to-air-on-vice-tv-670728/

Renewed for Season 3. Get your topics in now.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
XPW. All of it. There's so much sleaze to cover with Rob Black alone that an entire season could be focused on it.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
XPW
Ian Rotten
Pat Patterson vs Mel Philips and the ring boys
Rikidozan
Andy Kaufman (just because)
Best Of Sid: Stabbings, Softballs, and Squeegees.
Flair vs Jim Herd
Ken Patera
Sunny
Inoki just doing anything

I dunno, there's a lot I would want to see personally. Enough to where I'm going to be annoyed when they finally drop a two-part Cornette vs Russo show because they probably have all the footage they need already.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
I love the idea that the director of one of the best grindhouse-esque movies in the past decade is responsible for one of the most beloved, and highly respected, and talked about docu-series about wrestling.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I know this won't happen but I'd love to see an episode covering the Japanese Dojo training, especially in the 1980s and 1990s where you had a lot of American/Canadian wrestlers going over and experiencing some of it. There's been the usual stories about how incredibly insane/tough it was but also some horror stories out of it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5BFniXf_ss

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
A sleeper topic I think we may get next season is Deep South Wrestling, which would segue into Bill DeMott’s training. A few of the recently released guys like Hawkins, Ryder and Gallows have joked about Deep South being a topic. A lot of the talent that went through Deep South is not with the company still and if you get into some of the people who spoke out on DeMott, they aren’t with WWE anymore either, like EC3 and Luchasaurus.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Some other topics that might be interesting:

Don Fargo's crazy ass
Malone/Rodman
Primo Carnera
Lenny Montana - Pro wrestler, Luca Brasi in the Godfather, real life mob enforcer
Adrian Adonis
Hercules Cortez - died in car crash while AWA tag champion with Red Bastien

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I don't think it'd be necessarily a "dark side" thing but this could be the only chance there is for a good doc on Sputnik Monroe.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
snuffbox said:
Some other topics that might be interesting:

Don Fargo's crazy ass
Malone/Rodman
Primo Carnera
Lenny Montana - Pro wrestler, Luca Brasi in the Godfather, real life mob enforcer
Adrian Adonis
Hercules Cortez - died in car crash while AWA tag champion with Red Bastien
If you opened it up to road crashes there's quite a few you could cover. Sam Bass comes to mind.

Yukon Eric might be worth a look. A famous angle that landed in Sports Illustrated, life ended with Eric taking his own life in a church parking lot. Biggest issue is whether anyone is still alive and lucid who remembers him.

NYU

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I haven’t seen this mentioned yet. Depending on what exactly the parameters are in regards to his contract with FOX and whether he sees a reconciliation with WWE down the line...I think they could get a good episode out of the CM Punk saga between his walkout, the firing on his wedding day, and the ensuing court case.

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
It hasn't been mentioned but I'd like an episode on the Guerrero family. I don't know much about Gory Guerrero.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Rise, Fall and Redemption of Nick Gage would be a good episode but maybe they're waiting to see if there's a season 2 of The Wrestlers on Vice since it'd probably be more appropriate for that show since it's an ongoing story.
They are doing a Nick Gage episode for Season 3. Everyone who said it was too obscure of a topic can eat my ass. MDK All Fuckin' Day.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
There's some details out on some Season 3 episodes and they sound like a doozy.

Bischoff said he was interviewed and filmed stuff for episodes on Collison in Korea and Brian Pillman. There's also an episode on Grizzly Smith and his children and Jake The Snake, Sam Houston, and Rockin Robin are being interviewed for the episode. That's gonna be a brutal ep.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Mel Phillips and the Pat Patterson ring boy scandal. Maybe the attempted murder of Messiah for something more contemporary?

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Mel Phillips and the Pat Patterson ring boy scandal. Maybe the attempted murder of Messiah for something more contemporary?

In addition to the ring boy scandal, I'd actually like to see them cover the 1992 Steroids Trial of the WWF/Vince. I know it happened, Nailz was infamous, and a couple other things but I really don't know anything else and it seems to rarely get discussed in any detail.