Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Dark Side of the Ring

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
In addition to the ring boy scandal, I'd actually like to see them cover the 1992 Steroids Trial of the WWF/Vince. I know it happened, Nailz was infamous, and a couple other things but I really don't know anything else and it seems to rarely get discussed in any detail.

I am kind of surprised they haven't tackled that yet, too. I wouldn't think they'd be worried about litigation from Vince considering what they said in the Owen episode.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
At least one or two episodes on some international stuff besides Collision in Korea would be cool. We need a Victor Quinones ep (Some of the stories on him are pretty ghastly if true) and some of Inoki's crazier shit besides the aforementioned Collision in Korea. There's a ton of Lucha and Joshi stuff they can unearth.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
14 episodes makes me think we'll get some deep cuts. And if we're talking international stuff, I want to see an ONITA episode.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't have the ratings off hand, but iirc a lot of the more obscure topics like Dr. D and Herb Abrams did surprisingly good ratings in season 2. So, there is definitely a market for this type of stuff and I hope they keep getting more and more obscure.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I'd assume some of the Kim Justice docs (Korea, Misawa, Morishima, Yusuf Ismail, Heroes Of Wrestling) will pop up eventually. Bulk of that work is done for them. Maybe throw some Plum Mariko on top.

I really, really want Sputnik Monroe. I've said it already but this might be the only chance to get a Sputnik doc of any kind, and I don't know how much is a dark side, he's one of the most important people in wrestling history.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Just now hit me that we're absolutely going to have a very rough to watch Hana Kimura episode.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, that one is so recent and relatable that I don't think I could sit through an episode. The story was so heartbreaking.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I couldn't either. It was too much when it was all happening in real time that I don't want to see it. Fucked with me for a long time.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Reading a Reddit AMA with Brian Pillman Jr from last month and he said they filmed an episode for Season 3 with him about death of Brian Pillman and Brian Jr's dysfunctional upbringing with Melanie Pillman.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Nick Gage, and FMW (Sabu did an interview last week for the FMW one).
Thanks! I was thinking there was another promotion besides XPW I was blanking on and it was FMW and the picture of Sabu outside the interviews. I had heard the Nick Gage at some point too so think we have a good idea of pretty much the full slate.

Valeyard

Reaction score
FMW is some tame Japanese dark side. But I'm glad to know they're inching their way over.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I think the most intriguing to me so far is them doing a Nick Gage episode. I feel that’s like the least mainstream topic they covered. I never watched FMW but I remember the tapes on sale at Suncoast.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Yakuza has had a hand in the wrestling scene since Rikidozan, which of course ended well. Yakuza alone should have its own show. It's unfortunate that a lot of FMW's problems weren't uncommon.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
I think the most intriguing to me so far is them doing a Nick Gage episode. I feel that’s like the least mainstream topic they covered. I never watched FMW but I remember the tapes on sale at Suncoast.

I really hope they end the Nick Gage episode talking about how he's the most beloved person on the scene today.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
The Brian Pillman episode will be the season premiere which im really looking forward to. I also can't wait for the XPW episode because Messiah's attempted murder will most certainly be talked about.

The Smith family episode will be interesting but as far as I know, wasn't Jake the only one with issues there? I know Jake and Grizzly didn't get along. @BruiserBrody?

Last edited:

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
The Brian Pullman episode will be the season premiere which im really looking forward to. I also can't wait for the XPW episode because Messiah's attempted murder will most certainly be talked about.

The Smith family episode will be interesting but as far as I know, wasn't Jake the only one with issues there? I know Jake and Grizzly didn't get along. @BruiserBrody?
From what I understand, Grizzly Smith was a piece of shit and was horrible to all of the kids, particularly Rockin' Robin. Jake's mentioned sexual abuse among other things.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
From what I understand, Grizzly Smith was a piece of shit and was horrible to all of the kids, particularly Rockin' Robin. Jake's mentioned sexual abuse among other things.
Plus Smith's daughter was murdered, one of Jake's sister is the product of Smith (Statutory?) raping his gf's kid, and Smith's love of young girls overall. Then despite being scum, he was in powerful positions into the early 90s at least.
Grizzly is on WCW TV as late as 1993.

Last edited:

Valeyard

Reaction score
They're going to need some serious deep cuts the further the series goes, so this is a really good start. In a way they kinda shot their wad way early when it comes to the biggest US stories.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Luckily, wrestling is constantly producing new stories of sleaze. Though I suppose there needs to be time to develop perspective. Like I think it'd be hard to make a great episode on #SpeakingOut right now tbh.