Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

ECW Hardcore TV

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
It's interesting to see the evolution of the "classic ECW" promo style. Pulp Fiction released October 1994 and by the middle of November you can start to see that transitional promo style along with an increase in graphical gimmicks (e.g. box style).

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
The 12/6/1994 episode not only features the debut of Sensational Sherri Martel in Shane Douglas' corner but has the tag match of Shane Douglas & Brian Pillman vs. Ron Simmons & 2 Cold Scorpio (with Pillman replacing the injured Austin). Really weird/unique seeing "Hollywood Blonde" era Pillman at the ECW Arena given his later run with the company.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
BUMP as I continue to slowly but surely make my way through 1995. June was great with Sandman/Cactus Jack/Shane Douglas (including Douglas' leaving for the WWF) alongside The Gangstas debuting and a fun spotfest Double Dog Collar match between The Pitbulls and Public Enemy.

I've also gotten a greater appreciation for the Raven/Tommy Dreamer feud and how it kind of sent its tentacles into everything. Pitbulls get pissed at Raven/Stevie abandoning them so they side with Dreamer just as Raven recruits the debuting Dudley Boys (aka Dudley Brothers), Francine's starting to appear as a superfan for Stevie which angers Beulah, Luna's hanging with Dreamer and there was the infamous Dreamer's broken fingers/Luna crucified via handcuffs on the ring ropes angle, etc. I always enjoyed the infamous Double Dog Collar Match between the Pitbulls and Raven/Stevie but watching this all unfold weekly, the backstory is really great stuff.

Finally referee Bill Alfonso was genius character/booking. The pure, stickler of the rules referee interfering constantly and pissing the fans off while threatening to shut down ECW. Then the more he appears, the more he starts pissing off owner Tod Gordon and even Paul E. Dangerously has had it by the end declaring, "Fonzie MUST Die," setting up the eventual begging for 911 to kill him.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Watching Austin in October 1995 is something else. He's already used "That's the bottom line," and even the term, "Jabronis" in the ring against Whipwreck and Sandman. One can really see his evolution throughout the month into a formative SCSA as he's an outright antagonistic asshole towards everybody, is pissed off, and it's like watching a prototype of how he acted towards Bret Hart and the Hart Foundation in the WWF just a year and a half later.

Also October sees the introduction of the "Pulp Fiction" promos, Taz develops his katihajime finisher and the start of his FTW Taz character, Cactus Jack starts his anti-hardcore/Tommy Dreamer stuff & Terry Funk returns, we get The Eliminators making their presence known and the introduction of Bubba Ray Dudley.

So much great stuff in October/November.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Watching the Brian Pillman stuff at the arenas is awesome stuff. His feud with Shane Douglas would've been amazing IMO. He pulls a woman and her baby in front of him in Hardcore TV 151 whilst daring Douglas to hit him, then cheap shots Douglas anyway. Many know his 'Smart Marks' and Giant Pencil promos but some of the other stuff he did that doesn't get mentioned was such ahead of its time stuff.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Making my way into May of 1996 and ECW continues to just be steamrolling with so much great little stuff: We're starting to get into the Rob Van Dam 'Respect' angle against Sabu (and his team up with Fonzie), Taz has been a total ass kicker with Fonzie in his corner really starting up his FTW/Shoot character, Raven/Dreamer continues although it's kind of lost a bit of steam for me compared to 1995, and Shane Douglas has made his triumphant return from the WWF.

D-Von Dudley made his debut and immediately gave the Dudley Boys a legitimate threatening attitude. The Gangstas have been fantastic for the tag scene and their feud with The Eliminators/The Pitbulls tends to be pretty underrated in the annals of ECW history.

Also Brian Pillman and Chris Jericho are still around for far longer than I was aware of. It's fun seeing some of Jericho's other matches e.g. against 2 Cold Scorpio and Pillman's an absolute delight. A perfect fit for the ECW of the era and somehow still maybe ahead of his time there too.

The "weapon" era of 1998/1999 tends to overshadow a lot of what people think of ECW as a whole but 1995-1997 IMO are absolutely must watch to get a real idea of how influential ECW was on the careers of multiple wrestlers, never mind the story-lines and angles that happened.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
They just uploaded the Best of ECW Vol 1 and 2 from 1992 and the pilot for ECW TV from November 1992 under the Hidden Gems section. Just thought I'd give a heads up to anyone who wanted to watch Ivan Koloff in ECW.

(Probably just Brody and JHawk)

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Steamrolled through June & July, halfway through August. I always thought I'd be into the Dreamer/Raven/Sandman stuff (especially now that we've gotten to Lori and Tyler's inclusion) but I find myself far more interested in the other feuds going on: Gangstas against the Eliminators and Samoan Swat Team (credit to Heyman that he made SST semi-worthwhile at all), D-Von Dudley going to war against Big Dick and the rest of the Dudleys for control, finally getting into the awesome Shane Douglas/Pitbulls stuff with Francine siding with Douglas in mid-August and the infamous Pitbull 1 halo angle, and you still have the RVD/Sabu stuff with Taz lurking around in the background.

Also bonus August fact is we get the introduction of Joel Gertner as announcer. Also the bWo is full on in-effect including their infamous KISS get up and Blue Meanie's interpretation of Blue Dust.

We've also quickly transitioned into the weapon era with chairs and table use galore. Somewhat surprised it started really gaining steam this 'early' in the ECW history but it'd oddly fitting too given all the feuds going on.

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
Love Harnesser Kamala said:
They just uploaded the Best of ECW Vol 1 and 2 from 1992 and the pilot for ECW TV from November 1992 under the Hidden Gems section. Just thought I'd give a heads up to anyone who wanted to watch Ivan Koloff in ECW.

(Probably just Brody and JHawk)

At least they were all under an hour each as I have access to better indy wrestling now.

Although Dick Graham on commentary for ECW is surreal.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Bumping this thread to express my disappointment that @Laz didn't tell me that Jerry Lynn & Mikey Whipwreck have a podcast. I know you're moving halfway across the country with your family but WTH?

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Be honest, you only listened because Mikey looks like Matt Pinfield now.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I've never seen them in the same room.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If you asked me to predict ECW wrestlers with a podcast, Jerry Lynn wouldn't be one of my first 50 guesses. I don't think anybody would put him on a list of great talkers.

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Mikey is without a doubt one of the funniest guys I’ve met in wrestling.

my favorite mikey story is I was with him at a gym where he was training guys and he had a new student with him (who was clearly not going to last more than a week) who said to him “I love your entrance music in ecw” and Mikey turns to him, looks him right in the eyes, and says “I hate that fucking song”

the look of fear on this kids face

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
That's why I will always argue with my girlfriend when she tries to get me to throw out my VHS tapes. All taped live, original music and cursing and blood and all. Holy fucking grails these days if you don't want to give money to RF.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
...RF still sells ECW tapes? How has WWE not pounced on him!?

Then again, I should know that RF doesn't always worry about legality...ay yi yi!

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Part of the deal struck between Heyman and RF back in the day, in lieu of higher payment, was that RF owned the rights to whatever footage they taped for distribution purposes. When Heyman sold ECW to Vince, that deal was still in place, and I believe it was upheld after the launch of 24/7, meaning Vince has the rights to broadcast and edit ECW footage just as RF has the rights to distribute whatever ECW footage his company taped.

This is why we have ROH, actually, as RF knew that an ECW back catalogue wouldn't be enough to sustain the company, so he launched ROH with Silkin and Gabe.