General Horror Films & TV Discussion Thread

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score
Coming from Arrow in May

ER3yFeoWAAMQQS8

ER30P-3XUAIEJef

ER3za3bXYAQOBjk

"The Woman" is a controversial one, but I think it's underappreciated and a strong criticism of the more toxic side of the male ego-though it sure ain't an easy watch. I've never seen "Dream Demon" or "Blood Tide", but I've heard some good things about the former.

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score
Bored, so here's some horror/horror adjacent titles coming to Blu-Ray for this month and the next

July 7th

-War of the Worlds (Criterion)
-The Complete Umberto Lenzi/Caroll Baker Giallo Collection (Severin) or just get it cheaper here
-The Flesh and the Fiends (Kino Lorber)
-Black Rainbow (Arrow)

July 14th

-Tokyo Gore Police (Media Blasters)
-The Kiss of the Vampire (Scream Factory)
-Jungle Holocaust (Code Red)

July 20th

-Midsommar: Limited Edition 4K Directors Cut (A24 store exclusive)

July 21st

-Horror Thrillers 4-Film Set (Warner Archives) Contains "The Hunger", "Wolfen", "Innocent Blood" and "Body Snatchers"
-Torment (Scorpion Releasing)

July 28th

-The Tenant (Scream Factory)
-Thir13een Ghosts (Scream Factory)
-Graveyard Shift (Scream Factory)
-Demon City Shinjuku (Diskotek Media)
-Old Dracula (Vinegar Syndrome)
-Slaves of the Cannibal God (Code Red)
-Revenge of the Living Dead Girls (Severin)

August 4th

-Swallow (IFC/Scream Factory)
-The Soul Collector (IFC/Scream Factory)
-
August 11th

-Gemini (Mondo Macabro)
-The Wretched (IFC Films/Scream Factory)
-Split Second (MVD Visual)
-Phantom of the Opera (Scream Factory)
-The Quest (Kino Lorber)
-Mikey (MVD Visual)
-Brutal Massacre: A Comedy (MVD Visual)

August 18th

-Pitch Black 4K and Standard editions (Arrow)
-Gamera: The Complete Collection (Arrow)
-Frankenstein and the Monster From Hell (Scream Factory)
-Day the World Ended (Scream Factory)
-The Last House on the Left standard edition (Arrow)
-Prevenge (Image Entertainment)

August 25th

-Tales From the Darkside (Scream Factory)
-The House By the Cemetery and The New York Ripper 4K (Blue Underground)
-Conquest (Code Red)

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Curious what features SF will include on Thirteen Ghosts as I'm a total sucker for that movie but there aren't a lot of extras out there so I don't know if it'd be worth an upgrade.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Meh. Halloween 2018 has exactly one worthwhile scene (dat long take tho), so pushing the inevitably disappointing sequel out a year won't make it a better movie.

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score
Bored, so yeah, stuff coming to Blu in September and October

Sept. 8th

-The Alfred Hitchcock Collection (4K) (Universal)
-The Comic (Arrow)

Sept. 15th

-Shivers (Lionsgate)
-Little Monsters (Lionsgate)
-The Ghost Breakers (Kino Lorber)
-Dahmer (MVD Marquee Collection)
-The Cat and the Canary (Kino Lorber)
-Vampire in Brooklyn (Paramount)
-Stephen King 5 Movie Collection (Paramount) Only including this because it has "The Dead Zone" on Blu for the first time

Sept. 22nd

-The Vincent Price Collection (Scream Factory) Reissue with new transfers and I think new special features
-Masque of the Red Death (Scream Factory)
-The Dead Ones (Artsploitation)

Sept. 29th

-Ghost Ship (Scream Factory)
-Killing Birds, Grave Robbers, Memorial Valley Massacre and Spell Caster (Vinegar Syndrome)
-Pandemonium (Vinegar Syndrome)
-Sometimes Aunt Martha Does Dreadful Things (American Genre Film Archive)
-Cruel Jaws, Massacre in Dinosaur Valley and Primitives (Severin)
-Wicked City (Diskotek Media)

Oct. 6th

-Jaws (4K) (Universal)
-The Curse of the Undead (Kino Lorber)
-The Pale Door (Image Entertainment)
-The Face at the Window (Kino Lorber)
-Yummy (Image Entertainment)

Oct. 13

-Friday the 13th: The Complete Collection (Scream Factory)
-Rawhead Rex (Steelbook) (Kino Lorber)
-DeepStar Six (Kino Lorber)
-Terror in the Isles (Scream Factory)
-The Untold Story (Unearthed) (no Amazon link yet)
-Motel Hell (Steelbook with new 4K scan) (Scream Factory)
-Warning From Space (Arrow)

Oct. 20th

-Pumpkinhead (Steelbook with new 4K scan) (Scream Factory)
-The Haunting (1999 remake) (Paramount Presents)
-Inner Sanctum Mysteries (Mill Creek)
-Killdozer (Kino Lorber)
-Picture Mommy Dead (Kino Lorber)
-Scare Package (Image Entertainment)
-The Ape (Kino Lorber)
-Fear No Evil/Reign of Evil (Kino Lorber)

And whatever Vinegar Syndrome and Severin release by then. "The Untold Story" isn't an easy watch (and is occasionally befuddling with it's mix of seriously disturbing content and Key Stone Cops humor) but it does have an amazing performance from Anthony Wong. I never owned the prior Vincent Price collection boxed set, so looking forward to this one.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If anyone hasn't seen it I have a huge recommend for Host currently streaming on Shudder. It's basically Unfriended mixed with Paranormal Activity. The catch is it was filmed during Quarantine and they incorporate Covid-19 into the movie in a fantastic way. The other thing is that it's only 56 minutes long and the film doesn't outstay it's welcome and unlike Unfriended and Paranormal Activity has some very entertaining and likable characters to follow. The scares are really effective and I got to say this had me jumping at points and I really don't do that anymore.

Just a fun movie and I wonder if more movies will run for under 60 minutes because of the near universal acclaim this has. It would help some found footage movies a ton if they trim some fat.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
I really enjoyed Host, in fact I highly suggest everyone here get on Shudder. They have a great amount of content recently worth looking at. There was a almost 5 hour doc I watched on there a few weeks ago on 80's horror that was tremendous, name escapes me but it was solid. The doc on the dude from Elm Street 2 was also pretty good (Scream Queen).

Went to a recent IFC Midnight release over the weekend in a theater called Rent-A-Pal that was quite the weird twisted film to say the least. Trying to explain the story behind this is a bit complex, and I don't know if I fully liked it, but it was certainly different. Wil Wheaton is in this, playing something I can't exactly grasp still. It was one of those films that I think a person will either fully hate or love and there is tons of ambiguity in it.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
I've been on a massive kick on movies lately, in desperate need of distractions...

Train to Busan: Peninsula - While I don't think this flowed as well as the original Train to Busan, and while it didn't appear there was any cross-connection to characters from the first (although it might be possible, I wasn't in tune with all of the first films characters) I thought this story was pretty rich, and the action sequences were even more phenomenal and spectacle than the first as a whole. Well worth checking out.

Unhinged: While this may be not necessarily horror, it felt more horrific than most other horror coming out right now just because of the pace and dark tone of this film, and I found it ironic that in this Trumplandia negative energy reactive era we live in, this was really the first mainstream film to drop nationally. It seemed fitting given the current landscape of the country. Didn't care for this too much really. It just felt too crass and gross in a sense. Oh how the mightly have fallen too with (a fucking fat) Russell Crowe in a piece of shit like this.

Ravers: This was a wild fucked up turn off the brain campy stuff here, Natasha Henstridge was billed in this and had one pointless scene of note in it, and that was it. Like wtf? But that aside, I really enjoyed this for what it was. Had Troma tones in it, and a bit of Shawn of the Dead vibe too. Premise is pretty ridiculous, people get infected from tainted energy drinks, and become not zombie-hungry for brains/humans, but mutant-hyper from their addictions, so the energy drink would fuel a person to get fiend-level for whatever drugs were scattered at this rave (in the same building as the tainted energy drink outbreak happened). Probably the funnest and funniest horror I've seen this year.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
So who's got a list down for October? I am generally going to revisit franchises like Elm Street (part 1, 3, and 4 have been playing locally at a independant theater), new Friday the 13th boxset, Phantasm box set (came with the sphere!), and I might jump into the Halloween box set I bought a few years ago in a rewatch as well. I particularly want to check out Halloween 3 again, it's been awhile with that one.

I have a littany of 80s random horror I have never seen or havent seen in eons that I made a list for too, so I will be keeping busy this month in the genre (and maybe til the end of the year)

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll probably try and catch some of the stuff on the pinned 'Rec' list that I've never seen that intrigue me. Otherwise it's catching a lot of stuff through SyFy, AMC, and TCM depending on what they are airing. I also try to find the Bravo's Scariest Movie Moments countdown on Youtube at some point in the month.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So who's got a list down for October? I am generally going to revisit franchises like Elm Street (part 1, 3, and 4 have been playing locally at a independant theater), new Friday the 13th boxset, Phantasm box set (came with the sphere!), and I might jump into the Halloween box set I bought a few years ago in a rewatch as well. I particularly want to check out Halloween 3 again, it's been awhile with that one.

I have a littany of 80s random horror I have never seen or havent seen in eons that I made a list for too, so I will be keeping busy this month in the genre (and maybe til the end of the year)

I am going for a mix of faves, 80s horror, and some "classic" (black and white) films that I have not seen or haven't seen in quite a while.

I usually try to do at least one movie every year for each "theme":

This year's is:

Ghosts: Insidious
Monsters: Gremlins & The Thing
Possession: Paranormal Activity
Slasher: Psycho & Candyman
Vampire: Interview with the Vampire
Zombie: Shaun of the Dead

That's 8.

80s:

The 'Burbs
Creepshow
Dressed to Kill
The Fog
Fright Night
Hellrasier
Near Dark
Re-Animator
Return of the Living Dead
Scanners
They Live
Videodrome

That's 20; now for the last 11 ("black and white"; these are from Cinemassacre's History of Horror top 10 lists and I have seen most of these but not all):

Dracula
Frankenstein
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
The Old Dark House
The Mummy
King Kong
The Invisible Man
Bride of Frankenstein
The Raven
Son of Frankenstein
The Invisible Man Returns

Of course, I'm not restricted to only 31 so I'm sure some Treehouses of Horror will be added as well as some additional movies. I told a friend that I'd watch The Babadook and the Boy since I have not seen those before.

Last edited:

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
My technical first horror of the month I checked out late last night (hey it was after midnight, it counted!) was the VOD release of Antebellum. Was this worth $20? Not really, there was too much ambiguous stuff in this one, but it had a pretty unique situation and story that was being presented. Performances were pretty strong, but I gotta think this was a bit of a letdown. Something just felt really uninspiring about the narrative, and a twist that reminded me so soo soooooo much like The Village that it felt almost like it was a carbon copy idea of that film in a way. Its worth maybe a rental but not at the pricetag they have it now.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It looked like it was aping Jordan Peele way too much in the trailer. The people that wrote and directed are first timers as well and the story of Antebellum is a really tough one to approach the first time you are making a movie. I think in the right hands it could've been a really interesting and crazy movie. Janelle Monae is a really good actress and is perfect to star in a movie like this, but yeah it would've been so much better if a more confident and experienced writing and directing team had the material.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder if they offered it to Peele, he turned them down, and they decided to make it on their own afterwards?

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score

My friend posted their watchlist with dates, so I copied theirs and then filled in a few of mine after getting rid of some that I didn't have or want to watch. Some dates have yet to be filled by whatever pops up on the streaming services this month. That said, I reserve the right to watch more than one horror flick per day if the mood strikes me.

10/1: Frankenstein (1931)
10/2: Bride of Frankenstein
10/3: Evil Dead (1982)
10/4: The Wolf Man (1941)
10/5: The Mummy (1932)
10/6: Creature from the Black Lagoon
10/9: Freddy vs. Jason
10/10: Evil Dead II
10/11: Night of the Living Dead (1968)
10/16: Young Frankenstein
10/17: Army of Darkness
10/18: Dawn of the Dead (1978)
10/19: Beetlejuice
10/22: The Mummy (1959)
10/24: Evil Dead (2013)
10/25: Zombie
10/26: Horror of Dracula
10/27: Curse of Frankenstein
10/28: An American Werewolf in London
10/29: The Rocky Horror Picture Show
10/30: Halloween (1978)
10/31: Dracula (1931)
11/1: Day of the Dead

Curious about these:
* The Lighthouse
* Night of the Demons
* Hereditary
* The Cabin in the Woods
* Population 436
* Color Out of Space (I hate Nicolas Cage)
* Mandy (I still hate Nicolas Cage)
* Summer of 84
* Don't Look Now

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Hmm let me see with those movies. I've never seen Population 436, but I've seen the rest. I basically reccommend all of them, but I'll add a few non spoiler thoughts.

The Lighthouse - Great movie. One of the best of 2019. Maybe more borderline horror, but there's more dread, mood, and atmosphere here than most horror movies.

Night Of The Demons - I don't see how you won't at least enjoy this, leather. It's punk as fuck and it rules. It's one of my quintessential Halloween movies.

Hereditary - Probably my favorite horror film of the 2010's. I don't want to say much else, but I will say that it's a horror movie I wouldn't really want to watch around Halloween time. The movie is depressing as hell and not really a spooky fun Halloween movie (It's probably perfect in the cold and desolate months of January and February), but as a movie it's incredible. Toni Collette gives one of my favorite performances in a horror movie in a long time.

Cabin In The Woods - I don't love this as much as most people, but it's pretty fun and is a really good movie to watch around this time of the year.

Color Out Of Space - Even if you hate Cage, you might be able to get something out of it. The visuals are stunning, the characters I think are pretty interesting or likable, and when the movie goes for it, it really goes for it. It's so great seeing Richard Stanley direct again and he still has quite the eye for some crazy imagery. The second half of the movie is wild. Cage does go full on Cage in the second half though and he would definitely be really annoying to someone that doesn't like him.

Mandy - Very similar to COOS in the visual style, but still adds it's own thing. I like this more than COOS as a movie. I think Cage is pretty great in it and the first hour or so is the most low key and reserved he's been in decades. His change to a more typical screaming Cage character felt natural and earned. This movie is fucking bonkers though and there's so many memorable scenes and characters. The guy that plays Jeremiah Sands outdoes Cage in insanity.

Summer of 84 - Took two viewings for me to really like it. I'm beyond tired of the IT/Stranger Things I LUV STEPHEN KING, DA GOONIES, AND DA 80's AND KIDS THAT SWEAR AND ARE HORNY stuff and the first half of this is all of that. Then the second half it gets very serious and overall I think it's worth watching. Rich Somner from Mad Men gives a terrific performance and really carries things.

Don't Look Now - Similar to Hereditary in that this is an absolute great film and one of the best films on this list, but I wouldn't watch it around Halloween time. It's a powerhouse most definitely though.

Last edited:

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Should I maybe watch Mandy first? I was thinking I would do that and then watch Color Out of Space another day if Cage doesn't totally put me off.

Totally going to watch The Lighthouse and Night of the Demons at some point this month.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Population 436 is alright. It's most notable for a surprisingly good performance from Fred Durst, honestly.

Summer of '84 drags on a bit too long, but it's from RKSS (who made the incredible Turbo Kid), and that third act...holyyyyyyy shiiiiiiiit.

And yes, watch Mandy. It is absolutely brilliant.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Mandy would be a good movie to start things out with.

And, uh with that news of Fred Durst being in Population 436, I have moved that movie to the top of my list of movies to watch.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Wow, this was directed by Michelle McClaren, who has directed some of the best television episodes ever including To'hajilee, One Minute, and 4 Days Out from Breaking Bad. I'm talking myself into watching this to see how she gets a solid performance out of the Chocolate Starfish and The Hot Dog Flavored Water.

006pop_fred_durst_016-2.jpg

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
For anybody interested, Tales From the Hood 3 (with Tony Todd) is coming to VOD on 10/6 and is premiering on SyFy on 10/17.

As for recent watches, I watched The Exorcist and 1942's Cat People via AMC and TCM. Freeform is also showing a ton of horror movie fare as well. I have a couple 1930s movies set from TCM on Friday: 1933's The Ghoul and 1935's Mark of the Vampire.

Last edited:

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
Started the month out with a few more new releases in the theaters this weekend besides the aformentioned Antebellum.

Shortcut: Kinda short and to the point (barely cleared 70 minutes), but effective creature feature that I thought was pretty scattered and repetitive in its narrative (there was some flashback scenes that made me wonder in what context the point of those was, particularly) but it was a fun trip of a story if you don't think too hard. It felt kind of like a mix between IT meets Stranger Things or something in what the filmmakers were going for. Had alot of fantasy/folklore tropes in this too, so it wasn't a really intense in your face type of horror here. The look and cinematography was exceptional too.

The Call: Whew, this one was all over the place. Tobin Bell and Lin Shaye brought the anchor roles, Shaye did pretty good with the role of a possessed ghost witch from the afterlife, and Bell more or less played the same kind of role he cemented in the Saw franchise as some manipulative force, even going so far as to present a group of kids with a "game" to contact his dead wife (this was the Shaye character) for money, via calling her on some old phone in the house she killed herself in. The idea was Bell was trying to get revenge on the kids, who he thought drove his witchy wife to suicide. Ultimately, I kept falling asleep during this since it was so drab and confusing what the point of this was, without much to show for it. And the group of kids didn't do much for me. This has a huge 80s vibe though (I'm guessing this is another example of the Stranger Things influence a bit) so that made it asthetically pleasing to a degree. But I wouldn't really bother with this one unless you love Shaye and/or Bell.

Last edited:

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
For anybody interested, Tales From the Hood 3 (with Tony Todd) is coming to VOD on 10/6 and is premiering on SyFy on 10/17.

For as mediocre at the first sequel was, I'm kind of happy this series is still ongoing. Don't expect much from this one but it shows just how invested people were in the original (which is a classic).

Last edited: