Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

General Horror Films & TV Discussion Thread

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
I always love the marathons that AMC/TCM run during the month even if I've seen 90% of the offerings. It's a great feature if you're trying to introduce somebody into horror or want to try and find some more obscure stuff during the month without browsing a Netflix or Prime.

Also love throwing on random 'Halloween' related media from TV Shows including seeking stuff out on Youtube such as the Garfield specials, etc. that may no longer air on normal TV.

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score
Halfway through my horror movie (or two) a day October marathon. So far, it's been:

-Candyman
-The Slayer
-The Dark Side of the Moon (no connection to the album or Pink Floyd in general)
-Night of the Living Dead (Tom Savini remake)
-One Cut of the Dead
-Nightwish
-Circus of Horrors
-Bloody Sect
-The Roost
-Prince of Darkness
-Brain Damage
-Burial Ground
-Zombie Holocaust
-Baby Blood
-Blood Diner
-The Collection
-Stacy
-Chopping Mall
-Return of the Living Dead 1 and 3
-Horrors of Malformed Men

And more to come. I need to get a life.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Criterion is having a flash 50% off sale through tomorrow afternoon. There are a few horror movies. I just picked up Haxen, which was just released, on blu-ray for $19.95 (and a few Hitchcock movies I was missing).

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Ah, Dark Side of the Moon, the only Alien rip-off that uses Satan instead of a giant insectoid...

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score
Avid Warehouse Enthusiast said:
Ah, Dark Side of the Moon, the only Alien rip-off that uses Satan instead of a giant insectoid...
From the writers of “The Conjuring” of all people.

I’m fully convinced Paul WS Anderson ripped off that movie and “Galaxy of Terror” for “Event Horizon”

Haws Bah Gawd

TRTSM's Color Commentator
Reaction score
La noche del terror ciego said:
From the writers of “The Conjuring” of all people.

I’m fully convinced Paul WS Anderson ripped off that movie and “Galaxy of Terror” for “Event Horizon”

It worked fairly well, in my opinion. It's a shame we will probably never get his original cut.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
AMC is "premiering" a ton of movies throughout the month, especially today and tomorrow if you want to get your scares on (albeit in edited form): The Purge, Paranormal Activity, Paranormal Activity 3, Body Snatchers, and The Cabin in the Woods over the next couple days.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I've been doing a October horror thing. It's movies I haven't seen yet, so it's mostly movies from before the 60's mixed in with 2019 stuff:

Next Of Kin (1981)
The Love Witch
Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari (1920)
The Incredible Shrinking Man
Mad Love (1936)
The Raven (1935)
Nightmare Cinema
3 From Hell (Ew)
White Zombie
Shock Waves (1977)
It: Chapter 2
See No Evil (1971)
Whatever Happened To Baby Jane (Horror adjacent but still creepy)
Little Monsters (Not the Howie Mandel movie, but a bad horror comedy where Lupita Nyongo is the best part but not the main character.)
Invaders From Mars (1953)
Who Can Kill A Child (Fair warning the first ten minutes is a montage of actual war crime footage against children which felt exploitative and unnecessary so skip that)
Gojira (1954)

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Despite having Play Misty for Me, Halloween '18, Black Sunday, Dead Alive, and a few Hammer Horror sets on deck and a bunch of movies queued up on streaming services, I haven't watched jack shit for horror movies this season. Apparently almost dying is enough of a real-life horror show for me to where I don't need to watch it on film.

I've probably asked this in the chat before, but are any of you Hammer Studios aficionados? I have several DVD sets that I have yet to delve into and would like recommendations on where to begin.

The Hammer Horror Series has the following: Brides of Dracula, The Curse of the Werewolf, Phantom of the Opera, Paranoiac, The Kiss of the Vampire, Nightmare, Night Creatures, and The Evil of Frankenstein.

The Hammer Films Collection features The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll, Scream of Fear, The Gorgon, Stop Me Before I Kill, and The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb.

Hammer Films: The Icons of Suspense has Stop Me Before I Kill, Maniac, Cash on Demand, Never Take Candy from a Stranger, The Snorkel, and These are the Damned.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Super Leather said:
Despite having Play Misty for Me, Halloween '18, Black Sunday, Dead Alive, and a few Hammer Horror sets on deck and a bunch of movies queued up on streaming services, I haven't watched jack shit for horror movies this season. Apparently almost dying is enough of a real-life horror show for me to where I don't need to watch it on film.

I've probably asked this in the chat before, but are any of you Hammer Studios aficionados? I have several DVD sets that I have yet to delve into and would like recommendations on where to begin.

The Hammer Horror Series has the following: Brides of Dracula, The Curse of the Werewolf, Phantom of the Opera, Paranoiac, The Kiss of the Vampire, Nightmare, Night Creatures, and The Evil of Frankenstein.

The Hammer Films Collection features The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll, Scream of Fear, The Gorgon, Stop Me Before I Kill, and The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb.

Hammer Films: The Icons of Suspense has Stop Me Before I Kill, Maniac, Cash on Demand, Never Take Candy from a Stranger, The Snorkel, and These are the Damned.

I've never quite gotten into the Hammer era as far as horror films go (not even the vampire stuff yet, shame on me). Part of it is catching up on the 1920s - 1950s in terms of other "classic horror" but I really liked The Woman in Black from 2012 and feel like I should find a way to visit their 50's - 70's catalogue somehow.

rollie

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Apparently they want to make a Lovecraft cinematic universe. Cautiously intrigued...

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUSSUpTGhZw

Normally, this kind of neo-grindhouse 80's tribute movies aren't my bag, but this actually looks good. Plus, Stephen Lang, Martin Kove, William Sadler, George Wendt and Fred Williamson in the same movie.

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score
Haven't done this in a while, so here's some horror titles that are coming to Blu

Feb 10th

-The Freakmaker (exclusive as of now to Diabolik DVD)

Feb 11th

-My Bloody Valentine *original* (Scream Factory)
-Terror Firmer (Troma)
-The Beast and the Magic Sword (Mondo Macabro) where my Paul Naschy fans at?
-The Devil (Massacre Video)
-Hanukkah (Invincible Pictures)

Feb 18th

-In Fabric (Lionsgate) (BDr only)
-Rasputin the Mad Monk (Scream Factory)
-X the Unknown (Scream Factory)
-Deadly Manor (Arrow Video)
-Snatchers (Warner Bros)

Feb 25th

-Color Out of Space (RLJE)
-Pet Semetary 2 (Scream Factory)
-One Missed Call Trilogy (Arrow Video)
-The Astrologer (Severin)
-Hollywood Horror House (Vinegar Syndrome)
-Zombie Island Massacre (Vinegar Syndrome)
-The Candy Snatchers (Vinegar Syndrome)
-Xtro 3 (Vinegar Syndrome)
-Spookies (Vinegar Syndrome)
-Flesh Eating Mothers (Vinegar Syndrome)

Mar 3rd

-Verotika (Cleopatra Films)
-Luz (Altered Innocence)
-I Am Fear (IFC Midnight/Scream Factory)
-The Furies (RLJE)
-Bug *not the William Friedkin movie* (Scream Factory)
-Inseminoid (Scream Factory)

Mar 17th

-A Quiet Place *exclusive 4K Steelbook* (Mondo)
-Cannibal Apocalypse (Kino Lorber)
-Universal Horror Box Vol 4 (Scream Factory) includes Night Key,Night Monster, The Climax and House of Horrors
-Latest Black Christmas remake (Universal)
-How to Make a Monster (Scream factory)
-Candy Corn (Dread Central)

Mar 24th

-April Fools Day (Scream Factory)
-The Passion of Darkly Noon (Arrow Video)
-Beyond the Door Box Set (Arrow Video)
-Frankenstein: The True Story (Scream Factory)
-Bones (Scream Factory)
-Munster, Go Home (Scream Factory)

Mar 31st

-Terror Train (Scorpion Releasing)
-VFW (RLJE)

April 7th

-Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter (Scream Factory)
-Gutterballs (Unearthed Films)
-The Wind (Arrow Video)

April 21sth

-The Cremator (Criterion)
-The Curse of the Werewolf (Scream Factory)
-Earth vs The Giant Spider (Scream Factory)

April 28th

-Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto Box Set (Arrow Video)
-Elvira, Mistress of the Dark (Scream Factory)
-The Lost Continent (Scream Factory0

May 12th

-Idle Hands (Scream Factory)
-Terrifier (Epid Pictures)

May 19th

-Frankenstein and the Monster From Hell (Scream Factory)
-The Evil of Frankenstein (Scream Factory)

May 26th

-The Day the World Ended (Scream Factory)

Most excited for Scream Factory's Hammer releases and that Shinya Tsukamoto box set. "Gutterballs" is literally one of the worst horror movies I've ever seen, and not in a so bad it's good way. "Cannibal Apocalypse" is a rare kind of Italian Cannibal movie that doesn't have animal cruelty. Plus much of it takes place in the city and suburbs and it's also something of an infection movie.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This Invisible Man remake starring Elisabeth Moss is getting great reviews. I'm glad they are using the Universal monsters to try to make good quality movies with lower budgets than trying to rip off the MCU like the Dark Universe was. With the exception of The Kitchen, Moss has been nothing but amazing TV and movies for a decade straight and the trailer was pretty great.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Joyful & Soyful said:
This Invisible Man remake starring Elisabeth Moss is getting great reviews. I'm glad they are using the Universal monsters to try to make good quality movies with lower budgets than trying to rip off the MCU like the Dark Universe was. With the exception of The Kitchen, Moss has been nothing but amazing TV and movies for a decade straight and the trailer was pretty great.

It's directed by Leigh Whannell who hasn't disappointed yet.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Big Beard Booty Daddy said:
Joyful & Soyful said:

It's directed by Leigh Whannell who hasn't disappointed yet.

I got back from seeing it and it was really solid. The 1st/2nd Acts were the stronger parts as the 3rd Act had some dumb stuff and just felt overly long. The direction, cinematography, etc. were highlights and it wouldn't surprise me if Whannell quickly pushes himself into the Aster/Peele tier directing wise with a few more movies under his belt.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
I was so surprised how excellent the Invisible Man really was. I went in relatively blind, had just heard this was getting decent reviews for horror (although this was borderline less horror and more suspense-driven to me) and WOW, I really liked this. There was small details in the storytelling that made you really pay close attention and those details played a strong part in the last act. Quality all around.

I didn't have much reference for past invisible man features either in comparison, other than the wonky John Carpenter/Chevy Chase teamup for Memoirs of an Invisible Man from the 90s which still held up watching again.

Anyhow, this one really overachieved, and I think that has been the token with every Leigh Whannell film that has come down the road in now many years. He's earned this spot and I hope Blumhouse recognizes this was one of their very best films they have churned out, mostly because of his involvement. Moss was great as well.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
Also was able to go see The Lodge this past weekend. Has anyone else seen this? It was quite the mind bender of a film. Encompassed by a really isolated feeling and sequences of complete chaos and craziness, this is worth going out of your way to see. Was it a perfect film? Not really, but it certainly created a psychological effect to me which really, no other horror this year has so far.

Also, ordered a Fangoria produced horror called VFW that was alright. Decent cast, the premise was kind of out there, but it's a good shut your mind off and enjoy the ride type of film. 80s low budget horror was a main homage here.

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score
Coming this June from Scream Factory

81o5e6dBh2L._SL1500_.jpg

812laI7bLmL._SL1500_.jpg

81f6xbckTSL._SL1500_.jpg

81XI-kXd4ML._SL1500_.jpg

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh man... Tales From the Darkside: The Movie and Thirteen Ghosts are right up my alley. I saw that Orca movie when I was a pre-teen but haven't seen it since despite the title resonating for me still. I figure it probably doesn't hold up well, does it?

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
It holds up as a 70s exploitation fin flick, sure.

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score
It holds up as a 70s exploitation fin flick, sure.
Funniest part of that movie is when Orca kills a shark in the beginning. Also, of all the movie that were trying to capitalize on "Jaws", I'd say "Piranha" and "Alligator" are the best in that they had talented people in front of and behind the camera, as well as a sense of humor and awareness of how ridiculous the mere idea of ripping off "Jaws" is.

I'm in for "Tales From the Darkside"and "The Hills Run Red", which is a surprisingly smart take on the slasher movie. I remember not liking "Thirteen Ghosts" when I saw it in the theater, as it has it's moments but has a dreadful script (not the mention a black nanny character who is more than a little racist.) I will admit to liking "House on Haunted Hill" and "House of Wax" though ("Wax is a surprisingly enjoyable slasher movie.)