Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

HS basketball player drops out to go pro in Europe

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
Saw this yesterday, and it's currently making the rounds on ESPN Radio.

Jeremy Tyler, a 6-foot-11 junior, has dropped out of San Diego High School and says he will skip his senior year to play professionally in Europe, The New York Times and Yahoo! Sports reported on Wednesday.

Tyler, 17, will become the first player born in the United States to leave high school early to play professional basketball overseas. He is expected to come back in two years, when he is eligible for the NBA draft.

Tyler had made a verbal commitment to Louisville. He has not signed with an agent or a professional team, but he probably will play in Spain, the Times reported, although clubs from other European leagues are showing interest.

"Nowadays people look to college for more off-the-court stuff versus being in the gym and getting better," Tyler told the Times. "If you're really focused on getting better, you go play pro somewhere. Pro guys will get you way better than playing against college guys."

Point guard Brandon Jennings, a Los Angeles native, graduated last year from Oak Hill Academy (Mouth of Wilson, Va.) and became the first high school grad to skip college and play pro ball in Europe. He is wrapping up his first season with Lottomatica Virtus Roma in Italy. Jennings is projected as a high pick in June's NBA draft.

So, this is what it's coming to. Keep raising that age limit, Stern!

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
Tyler's game is fucking sick... dude would be a top 5 pick next year if not for the age limit.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Well that's one way to avoid going to college, and you can make money while doing it.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
A high school dropout will fit in swell in the NBA.

Staff member
Reaction score
Going to Europe out of high school is also a shitty way to start your adult life. Jennings hates it.

Oh, and if this Tyler kid is black, he'd really regret going to Spain. He'd have to be amazing to not be booed and jeered because of his skin color.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
909 said:
Going to Europe out of high school is also a shitty way to start your adult life. Jennings hates it.

Oh, and if this Tyler kid is black, he'd really regret going to Spain. He'd have to be amazing to not be booed and jeered because of his skin color.

I was unaware they were racist like that in Spain.

Vitamin X

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't think they're THAT racist, where they out and out hate black people, but racial prejudice objections there are, shall we say, decidedly less stringent over there as part of their culture compared to the U.S. For example,
spain-basketball-cp-584-532.jpg

Men's basketball in Beijing
spanish_womans_basketball_team.jpg

Women's basketball in Beijing
spanishtennisteam.jpg

The entire Spanish Federation Cup tennis team
See a pattern here? And it's not just the Spanish, it's all the hispanics since the Argentines are doing it too:
argentinasoccer_women.jpg

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
they were just joshing the chinks during the olympics.

I got $10 that he gets a banana thrown at him by his 4th game.

Staff member
Reaction score
They also like to throw bananas on the field during soccer games and Real Madrid fans like to wave the Confederate flag...you know, stuff like that.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's true. My sister in law is Mexican and I've never seen anyone hate on Asians like her.

Vitamin X

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Un chino cayĂł en un pozo,
las tripas se hicieron agua,
arre bote, bote, bote,
arre bote, bote, ba.

That's a lullaby in Spanish my mom used to sing to me. Translation?

A Chinaman fell into a puddle,
his guts turned into water,
And they spilled and spilled and spilled,
And they spilled and spilled and spilled!

It's ingrained in our culture! WHO'S THE RACIST NOW, BITCH.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
snuffbox said:
Honestly, how many people do you know who were jackasses before their senior year but just needed that one extra year of seasoning?

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Dirk Nowitzki has never been seen breathing through his nose, for the record.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Brooklyn Zoo said:
Damaramu said:
It's true. My sister in law is Mexican and I've never seen anyone hate on Asians like her.

We're talking about Spaniards though.

From earlier:

See a pattern here? And it's not just the Spanish, it's all the hispanics since the Argentines are doing it too:

Reaction score
Argentines don't count. They're basically Spaniards, everyone is white there.

Speaking spanish doesn't make Mexicans like Spaniards. Totally different.

Sex Machine Gun

Kotzenjunge
Reaction score
909 said:
They also like to throw bananas on the field during soccer games and Real Madrid fans like to wave the Confederate flag...you know, stuff like that.
The Confederate battle flag? I mean, it's a snappy design and all, but yikes. Spaniards are some fuckers. Remind me never to tangle with one.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
909 said:

Still, I'm thinking that he would make the same decision if he's faced with it again. He only has to hate it for another two months before he starts making the mega bucks.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
He'd probably learn more living in Europe on his own while playing pro ball than he would in his senior year of high school taking Home Ec and Shop. I don't remember shit from Grade 12.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm in favor of not using universities as puppy mills for athletes, so I hope more and more high schoolers spend a year or two in the European leagues or whatever. Up yours, NCAA.