Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

I Just Read... Books Thread

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Finally got around to ordering the Lenore: The Cute Little Dead Girl series of hardcover graphic novels off Amazon, including one in VG condition for around $20, all for a little over $100 total.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
If anyone has anything on their radar on Amazon right now, they are doing the code they usually do this time of year for $5 off a $20 purchase of printed books with the code GIFTBOOK18.

Gonna check my list and see if there is anything I can't pass, as I have a huge stack of stuff to go through both physical and on my Kindle already

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Saved almost $25 using the 3 20% coupons for members + the member 10% off discount to pick up the following at B&N

The MVP Machine: How Baseball's Nonconformists Are Using Data to Build Better Players by Ben Lindbergh & Travis Sawchik ($21.60)
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: High School is Hell Volume 1 Graphic Novel by Jordie Bellaire ($10.79)
Detective Comics: 80 Years of Batman - The Deluxe Edition ($21.59)

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score
Turning this into a full "I Just Read" thread since we haven't gotten anything else aside from the Comic threads to take off.

Pretty cool look at the drug war in Columbia.

I read this last year. It's really massive and if you want a military overview of WW1 than I wouldn't recommend it but if you're already familiar with that side of the war than it offers a lot of other really interesting ways of looking at the war.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
I just finished Jeff Pearlman's USFL book and it was a really fun read. A lot of stories of crooked owners (including Trump) and generally nuttiness.

A few quick examples: During an open tryout in Chicago, one of the fans who tried out saw the guys who were getting a second look were being sent over to a certain line, so he just got in that line and was signed up for the next phase.

One team signed a guy who was pretending to be Miami's long time kicker in the 70s. Another team drafted the best OL in the NCAA, and verbally signed him to a deal on the phone, only to discover the guy they were talking to was a phony.

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
Fantasy books I've read in the last while:
The combo of a murder-mystery with cool world building made this really interesting.

Cameron writes some really great battle scenes

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score

Finally got around to finishing this as I'd had it on the back burner for awhile.

It mostly focuses o Chamberlain and his top adviser Horace Wilson but also looks at a number of other appeasers in Britain. There's been something of a movement in recent years to re-evaluate Chamberlain which is something I haven't agreed with at all and this book does a pretty great job at demolishing the arguments made by his defenders. Chamberlain was completely deluded right up until his death about his policies and truly believed he could work with Hitler and Mussolini. Churchill for his many many faults deserves credit for understanding you couldn't appease dictators and for opposing them.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Finished up the novelization of Harley Quinn: Mad Love. Really enjoyed it a lot with the first half of the book being much more fleshed out and stronger as a result while the latter third seemed a bit rushed when it started pulling more from the actual graphic novel it was based off of.

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
Just read the first book in a new series (same universe as some of his other works) by one of my favourite authors.

Really fantastic. When it comes to writing realistic action Abercrombie is probably the best. His characters are all scum in some way so basically totally human. I really reccomend the "First Law" books that are the first books set in this world to anyone who liked Glen Cooks "Black Company" or Game of Thrones (with less characters).

The Amazing Rando

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I've been doing so much damn reading lately.

Nick Hornby's High Fidelity
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
Anne Lamott's Bird By Bird
Department of Speculation by Jenny Offill

and I'm currently reading the (over a decade old I think) Hot Stove Economics by JC Bradbury.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Been getting into Investing books lately partly due to the Sports Card Hobby and partly because it's knowledge I (and everybody) should learn anyway.

The Millionaire Next Door: The Surprising Secret of America's Wealthy by Thomas J. Stanley
Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki
The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham - Currently reading this as this post is made.

There's some conflicting stuff but there's a ton of sound advice that can be gleaned and utilized for your own purposes. Some stuff I'd always done unconsciously by osmosis through my Dad/Mom or consciously thanks to my Mom. Some stuff I can definitely start doing more now that I'm cognizant of it.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Just read Marilynne Robinson's new novel, Jack. It's part of the series that began with Gilead. Her fiction is sublime.

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
great book. brandon sanderson is one of my favourite authors and that series is really good stuff and a nice introduction to him.

muzzington

Queen Elizabeth Look-alike
Reaction score
The audiobook had a free preview for Skyward, would that be a good one to start next?

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't read that but I like everything he's done that I have.
5Fd9aq8.png

I've read everything but "Rhythm" which I don't think is actually out yet. All of these books take place in a shared universe (the cosmere) but you don't need to read them in the order of release (or even read all every series) as the connections are very loose and it's more of a bonus.

Elantris and Warbreaker as one offs are really good. The Stormlight Archive books are my favourite but theyre also the biggest commitment as they're his really major series.

I personally read them in release order but you can do it however is fun because he's made it so easy. He's also got a lot of non-cosmere stuff (and some graphic novels) and short stories that I haven't gotten to.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I stocked up on some books and some graphic novels/collected editions when Target did their Buy 2, Get 1 Free a couple weeks back. I even shifted a couple books that I had on preorder for this fall (the Stan Lee and Young Bucks biographies) into new orders to get some stuff I already had ordered for free.

I‘m way behind because some weeks back I started that oral history of The Office book and I haven’t gotten back to it because I just wasn’t finding it interesting or engaging. I remember loving that SNL book in that style years back so I am wondering if it is either just the author or the content not being as interesting as the drugged up SNL casts.

muzzington

Reaction score
I haven't read that but I like everything he's done that I have.
5Fd9aq8.png

I've read everything but "Rhythm" which I don't think is actually out yet. All of these books take place in a shared universe (the cosmere) but you don't need to read them in the order of release (or even read all every series) as the connections are very loose and it's more of a bonus.

Elantris and Warbreaker as one offs are really good. The Stormlight Archive books are my favourite but theyre also the biggest commitment as they're his really major series.

I personally read them in release order but you can do it however is fun because he's made it so easy. He's also got a lot of non-cosmere stuff (and some graphic novels) and short stories that I haven't gotten to.
I think I'll stick to an order too, I tend to do that with most things. Looking forward to the Stormlight Archive.

The Amazing Rando

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I walked away from Hot Stove Economics for a bit but I did finish Nell Stevens' Bleaker House and Bill Bryson's One Summer: America 1927. Heck of a read, that one. I have quite a backlog of Disney books to get through and I know I'll be getting more over the holidays.

muzzington

Reaction score
Listened to a couple of Star Wars books next.

First one was good, Thrawn was really great. Loved the narrator, music and ambient sounds for each. Someone described it as being almost a radio play and I think that's accurate.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Listened to a couple of Star Wars books next.

First one was good, Thrawn was really great. Loved the narrator, music and ambient sounds for each. Someone described it as being almost a radio play and I think that's accurate.

I loved the intial Thrawn trilogy as a kid. Haven’t read a Star Wars book in years but that has me intrigued - and the audio version sounds cool too from your description.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Finished up a couple more great Investing Book reads...

The Little Book on Common Sense Investing by John Bogle and Benjamin Graham on Value Investing: Lessons From the Dean of Wall Street by Janet Lowe. Both were really good, 'bite-size' reads.

muzzington

Reaction score
Listened to Star Wars: Ahsoka and Thrawn: Alliances and enjoyed them both. I guess I'm easily pleased because both had very mixed reviews.

Ahsoka is more a YA novel that's voiced by her actor from the Clone Wars. Ashley Eckstein. If someones interested in knowing about her character I think it's a pretty good way to get to know her.

Should probably give the Star Wars books a rest but I find them an easy listen while driving.

muzzington

Reaction score
Completed the new Thrawn trilogy with Thrawn: Treason. More enjoyable than Alliances with Vader not there acting like a bit of a petulant child and the best Star Wars villain Orson Krennic makes an appearance.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
I started Dune. That's a book people like, right?

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
Dune is good. I like the next couple books in the series more. "God Emperor of Dune" is the peak iirc. The stuff his son wrote (and continues to write) is not good.

muzzington

Reaction score
I was going to start Dune through Audible but the reviews said the reading was pretty awful.

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's a couple of the books I've read lately
Revenge story with some cool characters and fighting. There's a big of fucking in here if that's your thing/want to avoid The writing style is not for everyone with a lot of footnotes used to do said worldbuilding in a "funny" way that might not always work for people. I wouldn't want to read it all the time but it worked for this book (and the other two in the series)

Big fan of Wexler. He also has a really fun fantasy series that is sort of based on Napoloean's career but with soldiers possessed by demons and ancient cults and stuff. Really fun stuff.
This is another one where people are out for REVENGE but there's a lot going on revealing the story of the world and some real depth to the world building I appreciated.

recommended to me by @AboveAverage484 I wasn't able to find the first part at my library but I'm keeping my eye open and might get it to read on my tablet. Excellent book. I've read about the campaigns as part of larger narratives of the war before but this really goes into much more detail and offers a really good perspective.