Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

It's Always Sunny Season 13

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Extremely easy for Kaitlin and Danny since they just act. Kaitlin has said it's usually two months to film all her scenes and the rest of the time she can raise her kids and do other acting. The other three have to write and produce and help casting and etc so it probably takes 6 months for them.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Kaitlin Olson becomes the first person of the younger cast to get an Emmy nomination. For her show on Quibi called Flipped and not Sunny and it's in the Actress in a Short Form Comedy Or Drama series and not Lead Actress in a Comedy Series but it's still recognition of some sort. The Quibi show I think would get some hype if it wasn't on Quibi. It's actually very good and she's funny and different than Dee on it but the stupid 7 minute format really hurts.

Last edited:

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't even realize Quibi managed to get off the ground tbh but thats great for Kaitlin

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I've been on a Sunny rewatch this past week. I noticed that Hulu removed some episodes such as the season 8 episode where the gang become garbagemen. Dee's blackface scene was pretty cringe looking back but I thought the rest of the episode was pretty funny from memory.

There is a noticeable drop in quality once season 7 hits.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Dee's brownface scene is designed to be cringe though. Your not supposed to be laughing with Dee, your supposed to be horrified that she thinks this impression is funny. And then laughing at her impression failing and leading to her getting embarrassed. Even Frank comments on how fucked up the brownface is. It's like the scenes in The Office when Michael is being terrible and for the most part Michael is never portrayed to be in the right either. I can understand why people would find it offensive, but it's making fun of how terrible some white people are to me.

I think the quality sustains until Season 11. 2-7 is the clear peak, but it's still a great show in 8-10. The last four seasons are inconsistent, but it still hits most of what I find funny and I'm usually laughing throughout. They still put on at least 2 or 3 absolute classic episode a season and to me that's great for a show over a decade old. I think the reason I love Sunny is that there's so much physical comedy and it seems rare for a show to have so much these days. I prefer the new Sunny seasons to the last 3 or so seasons of Curb, but I might be in the minority there.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I think season 7 is where it starts to be inconsistent. There are certainly some gems in there. The Gang Goes to the Jersey Shore is one of my favorite episodes of the series. So much over the top wackiness that it's impossible not to love but I really dislike stuff like The Gang Gets Trapped and Frank's Brother. There's still a decent number of good episodes in each of the newer seasons for sure (The Gang Texts for one) but the peak for me is seasons 1 - 6.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Disney just announced at their investor's event the show is renewed for four more seasons which is through Season 18. This show and Curb Your Enthusiasm are cancel proof as they have a lot of higher ups with the respective networks that love the show despite both shows getting bad ratings in recent years. Both shows are kind of proof that tv ratings don't really matter beyond the big networks as Sunny in particular does really good streaming numbers on Hulu.

I find it one of the only shows I can still smile at and watch without nitpicking or thinking of real world things. People can say the show fell off or whatever, but it still probably connects with my humor more than any other show when they are firing on all cylinders. All I really want from newer seasons is less focus on Mac and Dennis and a return to more of the ensemble led show where every character got plots. It switched imo around Season 11 with more of a focus on Mac's sexuality and Dennis's creepiness and way too many episodes had them at the forefront. Charlie and Kaitlin are probably the two most energetic members of the cast and the show loses a lot of energy when they are in the background.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
They kinda finished Mac's arc when he came out and it feels at times like they didn't think through the change it would make to the dynamic. It's still fun and I like the show but it isn't the same.

I've also been paranoid of DeVito dying, which is likely irrational. No real reason.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm hoping Rob is so overworked with Mythic Quest, the long writing process for Sunny, and the Football team he co owns and so much other stuff, that Mac is just more in the background and he lets some of the other actors get the shine again. It felt like they were cramming in Mac being weird and needy towards Dennis for a a good chunk of every episode last season and the episodes would slow to a crawl whenever they did it. Kind of felt weird to make Mac into a more generic predatory gay male character in Season 14 after the great response they got from the LGBTQ community for Mac's two big coming out scenes.

Last edited:

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
i've watched the first several episodes of Mythic Quest and it is really good. Great casting for it too. F Murray Abraham as the old fantasy writer is especially hilarious.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
i've watched the first several episodes of Mythic Quest and it is really good. Great casting for it too. F Murray Abraham as the old fantasy writer is especially hilarious.
It gets better. Abraham has an episode focused on him in season 2 that got some great laughs out of me.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score

Starts Dec. 1st and is only 8 episodes. Need to rewatch that last season but I remember some good ones (the airbnb episode and the zoo one).

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
The Hulu Woke Fun Police have really hurt my interest.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I thought both new episodes were very funny. I loved the character returns in Lethal Weapon 7 and the ending of 2020: A Year In Review was classic Sunny.

They seem a little more focused. You can tell this is the first season Glenn Howerton has written for since Season 12. The episodes felt tighter and more like vintage Sunny to me. They used all the main characters very well and gave them funny scenes which is something the show has struggled with in newer seasons imo since it's so focused on one or two characters in a lot of Season 13 and 14 episodes.

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
fun episodes overall although I wish we could have seen a lot more about what they did into 2020. Sadly (although also maybe for the better) that ship has sailed. I loved frank's hair dye reveal. I'd basically forgotten Kanye running for POTUS at this point that's how crazy things have been. Dennis's dating attempts were fun although again I would have loved to see more about them than just a shorter gag. They dealt with everything really well though.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I always wanted an origin episode, but the Roller Rink was a dud. The continuity was all over the place and the episode just wasn't very funny outside of Dee freaking out and Mac's look. The idea behind the Dennis/Frank scenes should've been funny, but the execution was lacking for some reason. The jokes about cell phones and emails not making it feels very lame and cliche for this show.

The second episode was much better and my favorite of the four so far. Dee was great once again. I love whenever she channels Dennis and her scene with the aspiring actress was legitimately unnerving lol. I also loved the interplay between the four guys and the monkey. The payoff with the monkey was fantastic.

This season has done a better job balancing everyone's screen time and making all the characters feel important compared to the last couple seasons.

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
The Rink ep was really bad. I saw some people call it one of the alltime worst. I don't know if I'd go that bad because the last few seasons of Cricket shit were way worse. The way it fucked with continuity though were terrible and lazy. The only funny things at all was maybe some of the stuff with Mac and Charlie trying to deal weed and Mac's whole look.

Second ep was much much better. I loved Dee's whole arc with the acting school. TBH I wish they'd save that and turned it into a longer storyline for the season where she actually gets a real taste of power and becomes more of Dennis figure.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Almost forgot to mention that I loved both Ireland episodes. Some of the best in years with a great mix of hilarious scenes and some more emotional moments.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score

New season premieres 6/7. I actually liked last season. They kept it short and sweet.

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
didn't remember this started, and its already several eps in. gonna watch the first ep tonight

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah. Just realized it was back last night. I thought the last two seasons were excellent. Looking forward to starting it maybe tonight.

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
ok episode 4 "frank vs russia" had me rolling. the "SINNED" system and how they tied Mac's thing in with Frank's was perfect.

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
liked the chucky cheese takeoff ep pretty well and I thought Cranston and Paul were good in their episode but I agree with @Brocklock that Mac has really gotten tiresome and Dee needs way more to do.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Risk E Rat was my favorite of the season. First one where every character had a plot and it had an older Sunny vibe.

Didn't care for the Cranston/Paul one. Felt like they had no planning beforehand and rushed into the episode because they had limited time with Cranston/Paul. Like they were clearly setting up something with Dee and the tainted oysters and I thought she was gonna vomit on one of the Breaking Bad guys, but they forgot the payoff to that joke. Dee and Frank on the plane was a waste of both characters, but I did have the biggest laugh of the episode at the line delivery of Tony's Oysters In A Canza.

Also, Cranston was good but the monologue just felt out of nowhere. Aaron Paul actually was kind of eh.

Last edited:

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
I liked the general idea of Cranston being bullied and then his big monologue but i agree they really didnt develop it enough