Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Late Night Talk Show Discussion

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score
pujoljunkie said:
I interpreted that remark as Colbert being very respectful and committed to a fair conversation, but to each his own I guess.

That's how I saw it too. Having everyone booing him is a good way for him to shut down and just dismiss the audience and Colbert as biased. Colbert dealt with it like an adult and went back to showing why Cruz is an idiot.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
0e97117dcda417f40b3f7ee812bf312f

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The premiere of The Daily Show with Trevor Noah is airing on all Viacom owned networks. Seems kind of unnecessary to air the show on VH1 Classic, MTV2, and Spike. Just seems like it'll build resentment for the new guy IMO.

DrVenkman PhD

You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Reaction score
What's that image all about? Randy Savage has returned to Earth and will be interviewed on late night TV?

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
King Kamala said:
The premiere of The Daily Show with Trevor Noah is airing on all Viacom owned networks. Seems kind of unnecessary to air the show on VH1 Classic, MTV2, and Spike. Just seems like it'll build resentment for the new guy IMO.

Hey, I think KOAB is doing a great job so far.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Colbert is still not doing it for me. I think he's not built for the monologue safe humor. He still hits it on political bits. His guest list seems to be weak for an "A" show as well. I've watched every ep, so maybe I'm suffering from overexposure.

For as talented as Jon Bapiste is at music, he's kind of hilariously dense.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://youtu.be/Wfhu5Gv6e8Y
Love Spike Jonze's alternate intro to Late Show opening credits. Any Grover appearance in 2016 is OK by me.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
not late night but Michael Strahan is leaving "Kelly and Michael" to join "Good Morning America"

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
https://www.instagram.com/p/BNsrNZpB376/

Oh Trevor...

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
The interview he did with her was the best thing the show has done since he took over, I'd send her cupcakes too.

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
I know he's beaten him once although it was only by like 12k. Colbert's show has gotten a ton better. He's going after Trump hard and it's a lot more like his old show without the gimmick. I still usually skip the interviews unless it's someone I like but the improvement has been huge.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I like Fallon more than most but his show is starting to get stale. Same bits over and over. Colbert is improving but he still seems a little awkward in that role when he's not in his character. I've never been a Kimmel guy so more of the same for him. Corden is kinda overrated IMO and Seth Meyers is hideous.

as for cable I like Samantha Bee, TDS is kinda boring and Conan will do a great remote once and a while but his guest lineup is still pathetic

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score
strummer said:
I like Fallon more than most but his show is starting to get stale. Same bits over and over. Colbert is improving but he still seems a little awkward in that role when he's not in his character. I've never been a Kimmel guy so more of the same for him. Corden is kinda overrated IMO and Seth Meyers is hideous.

as for cable I like Samantha Bee, TDS is kinda boring and Conan will do a great remote once and a while but his guest lineup is still pathetic

Fallon is pretty bad, but Corden is worse IMO. His entire persona is Fallon's worst traits amplified to 11. At least Fallon gave us David Alan Grier as Ben Carson and Aziz Ansari as Bobby Jindel. Colbert started out a bit awkward, but Trump has recharged his batteries. He's also a probably the best interviewer on Late Night right now. I actually find Kimmel to be underrated-he's much better at the every man persona than Fallon, and unnecessary censorship will never cease to amuse me. Outside of his "A Closer Look" segments, there isn't anything noteworthy about Seth Myers. Conan's best days are behind him, but he can still do things that are pretty funny.

Samantha Bee-I can not get into her. Her whole persona tends to reek of neoliberal smugness. Also she's a massive hypocrite who along with her husband, doesn't want her kids going to a desegregated school. The Daily Show-Trevor Noah is improving, but the show still needs some work. Plus, it was kinda obvious in Stewart's last years on the show that he was phoning it in.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Tonight was Conan's last one hour show. He's moving to a 30 minute show with no guests. Just sketches and comedy pieces. Also no band.

kind of an end of an era for me. Been watching the guy for 25 years

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
strummer said:
Tonight was Conan's last one hour show. He's moving to a 30 minute show with no guests. Just sketches and comedy pieces. Also no band.

kind of an end of an era for me. Been watching the guy for 25 years

That's not a good sign.

Also, Conan's going to have a podcast: http://www.earwolf.com/show/conan-obrien/

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Got to say that the first half hour episode of Conan was kind of a dud. For all of the preshow hype of him changing it up, the most interesting change was Conan is wearing a leather jacket instead of a suit jacket.

And I think it was a case of self deprecating humor just underscoring reality. All of their jokes about how the show has just kind of downsized really just drove the point home that it's just a shrunken down version of the regular show.

I'm still ride or die with Conan but this was not a great start.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Comedy Central announced today that David Spade will be getting his own late night show in the post Daily Show time slot later this year.

Always been a Spade fan but they've had continuous problems filling that void since Colbert left in 2014

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
Larry Wilmore was a few months too early I feel like. If he'd lasted a bit longer he'd have caught the Black Lives Matter movement breaking out and it would have given his show more momentum.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
YouTube star Lilly Singh will be replacing Carson Daly in the 1:35 AM slot on NBC

Announced today

The Thread Killer

Get off my damn lawn
Reaction score
Anytime somebody talks about that show, I always have to laugh and remember what David Letterman said about that show/time-slot:

"Having a show that comes on at 1:30 am is pretty much the same thing as not having a show."

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
If it isn’t like a real show why are the real news sites reporting it?

https://www.wwe.com/article/lilly-singh-to-replace-carson-daly-on-nbc-late-night?sf209439589=1