Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Marvel: Our continuity is simultaneously better and worse than the leading brand

sbofn

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm attempting to split the comic chatter thread into DC, Marvel, and Misc. We'll see if it holds.

It doesn't help that the only newsworthy thing Marvel did this week was let another company release a movie.

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I've been enjoying FF for the...what...4 issues it's had so far. And I'm going to start reading Avengers Academy based on recommendations in the other thread. Other than that I don't think I follow any Marvel comics.

I lost touch with X-Men a while back and always find that world hard to just jump back into.

sbofn

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, X-Men remains a deep, deep hole. Even now as the Avengers brand is NEARLY as big, you can pick up one title without too much confusion about what's happening. The X-Men have too many characters pulling double/triple duty to follow the action in just one line*.

I don't even object to such overlap, but I think you need a smaller set of books (like Batman's six or so) to keep it comprehensible.

*X-Factor being an exception.

Haws Bah Gawd

TRTSM's Color Commentator
Reaction score
I've been following Uncanny X-Force since it started. I've enjoyed it quite a bit. I like what they're doing win Archangel/Angel being the heir to Apocalypse.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
So I just read Fear Itself.

We've managed to do the impossible here folks. We've managed to kill Cap AND Bucky twice. At the same time, since he is Cap. Wait, I guess was, because he's dead again. They are dead. Well, you know what I mean.

Haws Bah Gawd

Reaction score
Lightning Flik said:
So I just read Fear Itself.

We've managed to do the impossible here folks. We've managed to kill Cap AND Bucky twice. At the same time, since he is Cap. Wait, I guess was, because he's dead again. They are dead. Well, you know what I mean.

I posted that in the comic chatter thread a couple weeks ago. Kinda shocking that they did it, IMO.

AlaskanHero

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I just finished Ultimate Spider-Man #160 and I found it kinda underwhelming and disappointing, especially considering how much I was enjoying The Death Of Spider-Man arc.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
Sorry, didn't go into Comic Chatter, so I assumed this would be the place to talk about Fear Itself and the "OMGWTFAYKM". I honestly wasn't thinking they'd do that either. Just because after all that build up, you do that? And Fear Itself isn't even fucking over yet.

Haws Bah Gawd

Reaction score
Just read Fear Itself #4

• Thor has returned to Earth, and tells of a prophecy that he will slay the serpent, take 9 steps, and die
  • Tony Stark "sacrifices his dignity" (by chugging a bottle of wine at the entrance to the Rainbow Bridge) to get an audience with Odin to try to get him to help.
  • Captain Bucky is pretty damn dead.
  • STEVE FUCKING ROGERS is back as Captain America!
  • Thor attempts to attack the Serpent and is swatted aside with little effort. He comes face to face with The Thing and Hulk, and charges at them as the issue ends

Nightwing

Nightwing
Reaction score
Fear Itself #4 has a huge amount of things going on, but there's no focus anywhere. You never really connect with what's going on, and the arbitrary nature of Jörmungandr (Yeah, that's the big bad. They never say that's what he is, but it's pretty much obvious after the last few issues) just irritates me. I feel like we just got the series started instead of being half-way through it.

Reign

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The only thing I hate more than Fear Itself is it's bullshit crossover issues. Total wastes of time, with the exception of Avengers 14. Every single issue has been boring and not focused on the event, always attempting to tell the story from some no names point of view. Now the recent Yost issues of X-Men have been great, just fantastic. That guy should have total control of the X-titles soon. Mike Carey is still capable of a good story but Yost is the man.

Haws Bah Gawd

Reaction score
The thing bugging me is Marvel constantly having the same character in multiple places. So, Thor is about to throw down with the Chosen, but he's leading Asgard in a battle against Galactus in his own series. Wolverine is also constantly in 5 or 6 diifferent places.

Molotov The Bear

Chainsaw Batman & Tyrano Shark
Reaction score
The Mighty Thor doesn't seem to connect to Fear Itself, it's in it's own world right now. The regular Thor series that does connect became Journey into Mystery, which is focused on the Asgardians preparing Asgard to wreck Earth. As far as people appearing in different places, that shit just happens. The only person running around all over that is kinda annoying to me right now is Worthy-Juggernaut who seems to be in almost everyone of the crossovers. But I can even get behind that because he's the freaking Juggernaut and all.

And Reign, I don't believe you've actually read any of the cross-overs with that thinking. The 'event' is a world-wide thing. I wouldn't call Iron Man or War Machine and the Immortal Weapons, or any of the hero books that have focused on the heroes fighting the worthy 'no-names.'

tonyjaymz03

Kinsey
Reaction score
Nymyzys said:
The thing bugging me is Marvel constantly having the same character in multiple places. So, Thor is about to throw down with the Chosen, but he's leading Asgard in a battle against Galactus in his own series. Wolverine is also constantly in 5 or 6 diifferent places.

I always hate this complaint.

Not everything is happening at exactly the same period of time, so yeah, in his comics he is going against Galactus. In Fear Itself, he is about to throw down with the chosen. Two different stories taking place at different times.

Haws Bah Gawd

Reaction score
Kinsey said:
Nymyzys said:

I always hate this complaint.

Not everything is happening at exactly the same period of time, so yeah, in his comics he is going against Galactus. In Fear Itself, he is about to throw down with the chosen. Two different stories taking place at different times.

It's not really a complaint. I don't mind either story. Just if you were trying to put things in order it becomes a little difficult. Not so much with Thor (who has the luxury of only 2 things going on), but with someone like Spider-man or Wolverine, it could become kind of strange. Like when Wolverine was in the future with X-Force during Second Coming while his soul was trapped in Hell in his own series, and he was hanging out with the Avengers in their books.

Haws Bah Gawd

Reaction score
Anyone catch the death of Ultimate Spider-Man?

He beats Green Goblin to death with a U-Haul, which explodes on the final hit, killing him.

Anakin Flair

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Nymyzys said:
Anyone catch the death of Ultimate Spider-Man?

He beats Green Goblin to death with a U-Haul, which explodes on the final hit, killing him.

But is he truly dead? Or just so injured that he has to retire?

I don't actually care. I stopped caring about the Ultimate-verse after that abortion that was Ultimatum.

AlaskanHero

Integral Poster
Reaction score
From what I gather, he's pretty well dead. I thought the issue was disappointing.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
He's totally dead. They are making a new Spider-Man for the Ultimate Universe. One we never will see coming.

Yeah, we're totally getting back Ben Reilly. Just so Marvel can get us all to shut up.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
I agree with the above. Its a shame the only way we get to experience Spider-Man 2099 anymore is through a shitty video game.

Scroby

Low rent Indy Referee
Reaction score
I've been following a few different series, and here's what I think.

FF: I started reading FF after picking up Amazing Spider-Man 659 and while I'm intrested, it's kinda falling flat for me. Especially after the past issue was only a back story on the Black Bolt.

Amazing Spider-Man: I've been enjoying, can't wait for the Spider Island story to start, which is the next issue.

Uncanny X-Men: I got nothing really to say about Uncanny. It just started it's Fear Itself cross over and the issue basically wasn't anything exciting.

Wolverine: I've been loving the Wolverine story. I started at issue #10 and I've been getting all the previous issues because I liked the story so much I wanted to start from the beginning. It's been pretty good and pretty bloody.

Haws Bah Gawd

Reaction score
Just read the first issue of the aftermath of Death of Ultimate Spider-man. The burned little girl talking to Aunt May about Spider-man saving her when her house was on fire "so she wouldn't have to die", damn near made me cry right there in the comic shop. Had to put it down.

Haws Bah Gawd

Reaction score
Though i did say just read in my previous post, i guess it was a pootr choice of words. I didn't exactly read the whole thing, just thumbed through a few pages of a couple new issues and the funeral caught my eye. I still buy comics. Like some of you have never ever flipped a couple pages of a comic or magazine and decided not to buy.

Anakin Flair

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The latest issue of Ultimate Fallout has a panel that almost makes all of the deaths worth it- Thor talking about Asgard, and the Hall of the Fallen (or whatever it's called), where we see Peter, Cyclops, Wasp, and a few others who have died talking and laughing and drinking. I did a crap job explaining it, but it was a beautiful picture.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
I'll need to take a look at that to see how awesome that is, but the name you were wondering about for the hall is Valhalla.