Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Marvel: Our continuity is simultaneously better and worse than the leading brand

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
RL Stine did a Reddit AMA - he isn't allowed to give specific yet but apparently he is working on some comics with Marvel.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welp I read all of Civil War 2 and the 100+ crossovers and...it wasn't as bad as the original Civil War but it sure wasn't good. as far choosing sides it was pretty blatant who was in the wrong from the very start, and it honestly didn't make much sense for any hero to side with Captain Marvel except for someone like say The Punisher who didn't even get involved. And even he would be iffy.

I have a lot of concerns with the direction Marvel is headed in lately. There are still some pretty good series but some of the decision making is questionable at best. The long build up to Secret Wars was one of the best periods Marvel had in years and the massive Battle World crossover itself was a big let down and this was even worse (although not a letdown since we know it'd suck). I know they depend on hyped up crossovers to some extent but in the long run its bigly defeating.

I don't know how most people are recieving Captain America being a Hydra agent thanks to Red Skull rewriting history but I fucking hate it. #NOTMYCAP I don't read Marvel for Captain America to be a secret Nazi plotting all kinds of evil shit.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
Have people started calling it a liberal plot to make readers accept Sam Wilson as Captain America yet?

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
I remember seeing that Steve was coming back and thinking maybe I'll try comics again and read that run. Then issue one memed itself and oh...nevermind.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mr. S£im Citrus said:
Have people started calling it a liberal plot to make readers accept Sam Wilson as Captain America yet?

I don't follow any communities but I'm sure the Sam Wilson book is pissing people off because they're doing some pretty heavily political stuff with Sam being hated...pretty much because he's black and not Steve and dared to speak his mind. Some of it has been pretty good some of it has been heavy handed as with any political shit. I'm not really in the mood for it in my comics with everything going on now and recently they've got Cap pretending to be helping Sam to his face while secretly telling US Agent to go after Sam and #TakeBackTheShield. But Cap can't do it himself because it would look bad if a white guy did it to a black guy/bestfriend. EVIL CAP!

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Also Old Man Steve when he was depowered was still around and was kind of awesome tbh. I know its been done before but they should have just had him take over SHIELD for a few years before powering up again.

I'm so tired of heroes fighting heroes in Marvel but they're addicted to it. At least this time
Iron Man tried multiple times to have sit down meetings with Captain Marvel...who refused to listen and was a giant asshole but Iron Man actually tried and convinced others unlike other times when NO ONE was willing to listen at ALL. progress?

Molotov The Bear

Chainsaw Batman & Tyrano Shark
Reaction score
Civil War II is a shitshow of awful and I hope they've finally learned to stop letting Bendis run Big Events because god he's terrible at it.

CWM said:
Welp I read all of Civil War 2 and the 100+ crossovers and...it wasn't as bad as the original Civil War but it sure wasn't good. as far choosing sides it was pretty blatant who was in the wrong from the very start, and it honestly didn't make much sense for any hero to side with Captain Marvel except for someone like say The Punisher who didn't even get involved. And even he would be iffy.

CWM said:
Also Old Man Steve when he was depowered was still around and was kind of awesome tbh. I know its been done before but they should have just had him take over SHIELD for a few years before powering up again.

I'm so tired of heroes fighting heroes in Marvel but they're addicted to it. At least this time
Iron Man tried multiple times to have sit down meetings with Captain Marvel...who refused to listen and was a giant asshole but Iron Man actually tried and convinced others unlike other times when NO ONE was willing to listen at ALL. progress?

Which is hilarious because the series started off portraying Tony as the biggest asshole for being pissed at
what happened to Rhodey.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Rhodey being used as a pawn in this was so terrible. The #0 issue where the president tells him he wants to groom him for a POTUS run was a hilarious flashing sign that he was going to die. I think the Banner death has potential because the whole thing makes sense. I can believe that Bruce would go to someone and arrange for them to take them out, that Hawkeye would do it, that people would celebrate The Hulk being dead, that it would divide everyone, etc. It's an interesting idea. I don't know how well it will work out but I at least think it has a chance of being a good storyline.

There are still some really good Marvel comics IMO, I like All-New Wolverine, Deadpool is Deadpool (and some of the minis like the Gambit one have been really good), Doc Strange has been great, New Avengers is way too fun, Nova and Ms Marvel are cool, PowerMan and Ironfist is a good one, Spiderwoman continues to be good. Ant-Man and The Vision were both great but they just ended. There's a few others that are good too.

Most of the other Avengers titles and the X-Men books are a mess right now though. And I just don't care about the Inhumans.

Molotov The Bear

Reaction score
The banner death is the only thing I actually liked, mostly because its the only that made any sense about the stupid series.

I would add Champions to that list, it takes all the good characters from Avengers, puts them into their own book and adds Viv Vision, O5 Cyclops and Amadeus Cho Hulk. Waid's Avengers book was just kinda 'eh' but Champions has been pretty decent.

I want the Inhumans to die a horrible death. I would not be against Inhumans in Refrigators at this point. They are terrible and have fucked everything good about the X-men over. The only thing I'm looking forward to so far about Post-IVX X-men is Colossus being drawn like Colossus again and not whatever horribile abomination that stole his body and used it like a meat suit that was in Extraordinary. Mark Guggenheim's writing X-Men Gold so I might check that out but I'm staying far away from this IVX shit.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Champions looks really good, I've only read the first issue so far, the team list is great. I also saw that one of the Avengers teams has Hercules on it so I'm jazzed for that because I'm a mark for him. I was glad he got a mini-series in CW2 to wrap up his aborted comic run, as his attempts to reform where pretty fun.,

Molotov The Bear

Reaction score
Yeah that's Waid's Avengers book. FalCap, Thor, Spider-man (Pete), Vision, Hercules and the new Wasp, should be an interesting team. I also love Herc so I'll be checking it out.
I'm also interested in the new Nova solo book, though not at all for Sam Alexander.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Finished up X-23: Complete Collection Volume 1. A lot of great stuff although I hated X-23: Women of Marvel due to the artwork & layout style which just took me out of the story so I mostly skimmed it/skipped it.

X-23 (2005) #1-#6 and X-23: Target X #1-#6 were particularly really fantastic. Also really enjoyed the X-23 (2010) One Shot and #1-#3 stories.

Realistically more a 3/5 maybe but I gave it a 5/5 on Goodreads primarily for the first 2 story arcs and the brief 2010 run. Looking forward to the 2nd collection.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Early printings of X-men: Gold #1 may be a thing seeing all future printings are going to have the anti-Christian, anti-Jewish "easter eggs" edited out

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/04/08/marvel-artist-ardian-syaf-hid-anti-christian-jewish-messages-weeks-x-men-comic/

tonyjaymz03

Kinsey
Reaction score
Secret Empire 1 was pretty good but it's odd seeing 1)Odinson, Deadpool, Scarlett Witch on the side of facists and 2)trying to make us feel sympathy for Steve Rogers. Kinda hard to feel sorry for a guy that lied to all his friends and country, is responsible for the internment of inhumans(STOP TRYING TO MAKE INHUMANS A THING), and other nefarious fuckery. I do enjoy the uneasy calm that everyone has accepted the new lords and saviors in a matter of months. Solid start to the event but I think if this ends with Steve Rogers back as the one true cap, then it'll be a massive letdown.

Jean Grey 1 was great start to giving a love them or hate them character some much needed depth. The fact that they are tackling the phoenix right away is refreshing.

That was it for my Marvel pull this week. I also snagged Eternal Empire, TNMT, Batman, and the first issue of Outcast. EE is gorgeous, TMNT is just fun comics madness.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Deadpool siding with the baddies in alternative versions is pretty common so not shocking to me. I don't like Nazi cap and want him back to normal but want Sam to stay cap as well. Steve doesn't need to be cap in name, it's who he is fundamentally so let Sam have it.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I read the Xmen Vs Inhuman crossover and it was ok. The best thing about it was that it was short compared to every other big Marvel crossover. Even if you read like every associated tiein it was like 20 books when most are like 30 it feels like and tbh you only needed to read the main series and maybe whatever the one was with Maximus since that was setting up some important shit it felt like and was actually good.

as far as what happened in it

Glad there is no more Terrigen Cloud and the Mutants basically got a big win. Emma Frost going full evil works for me. It always felt like Cylcops was keeping her walking the line (and at the end they were keeping each other) and with him gone she's off the deep end. She's always been at her best when being a bitch to me. I wish Cyclops had gotten a chance to really go full Magneto instead of the sort of freedom fighter who everyone THINKS is evil they did.

Hopefully the X books will get back on track although I know the anti-Semite controversy happens after this series but they fired that guy thankfully. I really don't care about the inhumans at ALL. I'd be good with them all getting massacred aside from Black Bolt and Karnak pretty much.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
anyone else read any of Secret Empire? I don't really like Cap being evil but as long as he is put back as he should be in the end or some shit then it is a pretty fun storyline HOWEVER this should be the last hero vs hero storyline for several years because it doesn't get bigger than captain america being a secret fucking nazi. I think they need to spend several years rebuilding the ties of the heroes and building up the villians. That is probably an unrealistic wish though.

Molotov The Bear

Reaction score
Marvel has been going on for months now claiming that "Generations" and "Marvel Legacy" are going to do just that, going back to classic good vs bad stories again and making heroes be heroes.

Though they also claimed Civil War 2 would be the last time heroes would fight other heroes and here we are.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd like to believe that and I am interested in some of the stuff they have lined up for the future but I want to see what they do with this storyline. I really wish they'd put a stop to the giant crossovers for a while but they seem to sell so what do I know.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
I guess this has been making the rounds on Twitter:

DF3SgouVYAA0c1_.jpg

I'm going with Cap, Diana, Cable, T'Challa and Wally.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
Bruce for strategies, Billy for discount Superman+1, Natasha for intel gathering, T'Challa for technical wizardry and leaving Bruce to further strategics, with Parker being the charismatic smart ass everyone rallies behind.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Professor X, Hulk, Cable, Mr Fantastic, Flash.

Xavier is an almost god level telepath, Hulk has no power limits, Cable can fucking time travel ignoring everything else, Richards is almost universe breaking (literally) smart and he's stretchy, Flash is really really fast. And I'd take Wally because Barry sucks.

Staff member
Reaction score
Batman, Wonder Woman, Wolverine, Black Panther, Deadpool

Batman's a sociopath, you gotta have a womanly touch in there somewhere, Wolverine isn't supposed to be able to die, not surprised CWM would make a team with all white dudes, Deadpool is a true wildcard.

Conspiracy_Victim

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Batman, Wonder Woman, Punisher, Black Panther, Green Lantern. My team is heavy on brute force, but with Bruce's money and planning ability, Green Lantern's power ring to contain the more mystical adversaries, and the power and technology of Wakanda behind it I'm pretty sure the bases are covered.

Should have had Dr. Strange somewhere in the Wild Card category.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is that a serious question or a "I refuse to accept that's his name now?" fanboy stance like some people have? Because DC gave up the battle in like 2011 and just started calling Billy Shazam full-time. Considering anyone who wasn't a serious fan basically thought that was his name anyway since they couldn't use it when promoting going back 40 years it only made sense.

Carol is the one true Captain Marvel. Google image search "captain marvel" and it used to be 50/50 and now the top results are almost all Carol. I only see one or two for DC's version in the first 30 or so.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I had a lot of doubts about Nazi Cap and Secret Empire but I JUST finished reading Secret Empire 10 and..they pulled it off. The whole thing actually felt relevant with what is going on right now in the US.

seeing old cap return and beat the shit out of nazi cap was satisfying as fuck. Sam and Bucky teaming up at the end as well. Clint leading the combined heroes against Nazi Cap.

One thing this series reinforced though is how badly damaged the villains have been in Marvel. In order to make Hydra feel like a real threat they had to have Vision, Scarlet Witch and Odinson all for various reasons (I won't spoil) side with Nazi Cap as well as sealing off NYC and the heroes in space. All these years of hero vs hero have made them into the only real dangers to each other. They really need to rebuild the villains into threats.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Coming out of Secret Empire we're geting Marvel Legacy which as a counterpoint to Marvel Now! focuses on the "core-brand" heroes. There's a one-shot kicking it off that shows us Marvel in the year 1 million BC and it's as insane as you'd imagine:

They're also doing a 10 issue Generations anthology where past and present versions of heroes pair up:

Generations: The Iron Tony Stark and Riri Williams
Generations: The Spiders Peter Parker and Miles Morales
Generations: The Marvels Carol Danvers and Kamala Khan
Generations: The Thunder Odinson and Jane Foster
Generations: The Archers Clint Barton and Kate Bishop
Generations: The Strongest Bruce Banner and Amadeus Cho
Generations: The Phoenix Jean Grey (young and older)
Generations: The Best Logan and X-23
Generations: The Bravest Mar-Vell and Carol Danvers
Generations: The Americas Steve Rogers and Sam Wilson