Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Matches You Didn't Think Existed

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I had forgotten that until you mentioned it, I think Animal was still in decent shape at least since it wasn’t long after his heel THE ROAD WARRIOR run in WWE.

61371-59Fr.jpg

61371-59Bk.jpg

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/ovppodcast/status/1266376247539572736
God. Some of the venues WWF ran in the mid '90s looked so dumpy.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
The Dynamic Dudes at the Silverdome. Can't process that.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
WWF ran a bunch of shows at the Silverdome that were set up for basketball and not for 93,000 fans. I am not sure if the Cobo Hall was still open or Joe Louis was WWF exclusive that the NWA would try such a suicidal house show.

Looking at the results, JCP debuted in Sept 87 with 8000 fans coming to Joe Louis to see Ronnie Garvin win the world title from Flair. Only 3 weeks later Flair and Luger vs Garvin and Dusty only drew 1000 in the same arena.
They went to the Cobo in 88 and popped a house with Dusty teaming with long time rival the Sheik to face Murdoch and Sullivan in a cage. Sheik was mad at his pay off and refused to come back for more bouts.
Luger and Flair did another nice house a few months later, but then in Oct Sting vs Flair BOMBED back to 1300.

NWA @ Pontiac, MI - Silverdome - June 11, 1989 (about 900)
Family Appreciation Day - all kids tickets were only $5
Scott Steiner vs. Mike Rotunda (suplex match)
Eddie Gilbert vs. Kevin Sullivan (taped fist match)
Ricky Steamboat vs. the Great Muta
The Road Warriors vs. the Samoan Swat Team
NWA US Champion Lex Luger vs. Michael Hayes (Badstreet match)
Also included Ricky Santana, Shane Douglas & Johnny Ace

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I knew this happened. I didn’t realize footage existed. Apologies if anyone has seen this before

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
WWF ran a bunch of shows at the Silverdome that were set up for basketball and not for 93,000 fans. I am not sure if the Cobo Hall was still open or Joe Louis was WWF exclusive that the NWA would try such a suicidal house
even with the 15,000 capacity set up, 900 people in the Silverdome is brutal

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Wasn’t Bobo one of those guys who was one of Vince’s all-time favorites?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah. Bobo Brazil and Dr. Jerry Graham are two guys I hear cited as Vince's favorite wrestlers growing up.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I've liked what I've seen of Bobo, but his super racist Japan gimmick is terrible.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If anyone is giving the other guy a virus, it’ll be the the other direction in this exchange.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Fairly confident that ‘ol Ricky hasn’t washed his hands since the 87 Bash Tour.

Last edited:

Valeyard

Reaction score
Ricky hasn't worn anything since the Horsemen broke his face. Wrestlers are very stupid people when it all comes down to it.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Had no idea Hogan did any WWF TV appearances after KOTR '93 (albeit localized event promos). Jacket Jimmy Hart is wearing depicts '94 WCW era Hogan even!

This is really weird. Hogan just mentioning getting the title in passing is weird by itself, but man, very relaxed Hogan just pimping all his non-wrestling shit instead of the actual show he'll be on is weird. Totally checked out. How soon after he left did he start having any talks with WCW? I feel like I remember Thunder In Paradise was a Turner thing.

Also I fucking loved Thunder In Paradise as a kid and have little shame.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Thunder in Paradise wasn't a Turner show but it was filmed at Disney-MGM Studios at the same time that WCW started filming Worldwide and some of the B shows there. IIRC, negotiations for Hogan started in late '93/early '94. WWF plugged Mr. Nanny when it came out in the Fall of '93 and there were occasional references to him on TV (most notably, Macho Man bemoaning that he didn't want his friendship with Crush to fall apart like his friendship with Hulk). I think there was an idea at one point that Hulk would be the surprise referee in the main event at WrestleMania X instead of Piper.

Earliest reference to Hogan on WCW TV that I recall was at SuperBrawl IV in February '94 when the announcers and Mean Gene talked about how Hogan was watching Flair Vs Vader II with a lot of interest. I feel like Mean Gene started name dropping him almost as he got to WCW. I almost wonder if that was Bischoff's strategy. We'll get Hogan's sidekicks then he'll have to show up.