Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

MLB Spring Training 2020

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
What did Karl Ravech do to the ESPN execs to make them stay up all night to call these games?

CPBL from Taiwan is also airing games on some channel called Eleven Sports (and streaming online) and can have up to 1000 fans in the stand.

Oh shit. Eleven Sports is on Pluto TV so I can watch some Taiwanese baseball in front of 800 people after I watch a '00s Impact Wrestling PPV.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
King Mutumbo Classic said:
ESPN is going to air 6 KBO League games a week (mostly on ESPN2) until the pandemic ends.

Al, you think you're going to support NC Dinos or LG Twins? Perhaps the Samsung Lions?
NC Dinos, because they have Aaron Altherr. Younger me would've watched, but at this point in my life I can't disrupt my schedule to this extent. But fresh boxscores at least is something to enjoy.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
SNY will be re-airing the 1986 NLCS this week. Going to have to check some of those games out as this was one of the most memorable championship series of the era

They re-aired the 1969 World Series this past week and it was pretty damn cool

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Idk how it effects the season starting but I just read in The Boston Globe that only 0.7% of MLB employees tested positive for COVID-19 antibodies.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Former MLB manager Art Howe has been hospitalized with the corona virus

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Heyman makes it sound like players have long wanted the DH in the NL, which isn't too surprising to hear as it's helped extend the careers of several hitters into their mid to late 30s and isn't as much of a stigma given HOF potential with Edgar Martinez and David Ortiz.

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1260590177619230720

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/PadreFanDan/status/1262363787836796928
So many great moments in Petco Park history...

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVFsq9FQBlc

I thought this was the greatest moment in Petco Park history.

alkeiper

Reaction score
King Mutumbo Classic said:
https://twitter.com/PadreFanDan/status/1262363787836796928
So many great moments in Petco Park history...
The Padres have yet to win a postseason game at Petco. The Twins haven't won yet at Target Field. Going through the article and quick thoughts...

Red Sox: The steal, over FISK?!

Astros: Albert Pujols' HR is probably most memorable. But Chris Burke the year before was big too.

Marlins: Should be Dee Gordon's HR the first game after Jose Fernandez passed away.

Phillies: Yeah, the World Series win. I always rank Jimmy Rollins' game winning double over the no hitter though. I went absolutely apeshit.

Brewers: The All Star game tie.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
Braves (Truist Park): Ronald Acuña Jr.'s grand slam
Oct. 7, 2018 (NLDS Game 3)

Absolutely.

The Braves lost this series, but this moment announced not just that Acuña was a superstar,

Yes.

but that he had a sense of drama, a sense of the moment.

Get the FUCK out of here with that shit. So a player without a 'sense of the moment' can't hit a home run? The fuck does doing everything you can to help your team win a game have to do with a sense of drama?

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score

Well, 3 camps were closed and I must say that doesn't give me much confidence that people won't end up catching it in any North American league/sport now.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, this all makes me more leery of future games too.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Florida is a kiddie pool of COVID germs thanks to DeSantis being an idiot, all of the old people, and all of the migrant workers living in close quarters. I'm wondering if one of the leagues pulls out.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
Considering it just happened to the MLB, I wouldn't be surprised if that's the league that goes "yeah, no. We ain't doing this". Especially with all the labor issues they have.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
A of NHL players have tested positive too. The Tampa Bay Lightning had to shut down their training facility.
NBA season seems like most sensible league so I think they should come to their senses of how stupid it is to play there.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
MLB and MLBPA tentatively agreed to a 60 game schedule starting around July 23rd-24th. DH in both leagues and extra innings will start with a runner on 2nd Base.

Staff member
Reaction score
That looks more like a soccer stadium. How does a diamond fit in there?

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
They managed to shove one into the Tropicana somehow.

This just looks like Jerry World had an extra practice facility not being used so the Rangers moved in.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That looks more like a soccer stadium. How does a diamond fit in there?
Irony is that the Ballpark at Arlington is being converted to a soccer stadium.

I DON'T get it! I never saw many complaints about The Ballpark at Arlington. That's a damn good ballpark that is like less than 30 years old. MLB owners are dumb about stadiums, I tell ya.

alkeiper

Reaction score
It has a roof in Dallas in Summer. That's about it. The Ballpark In Arlington had a surprising amount of style. This seems like a lesser Minute Maid Park. Honestly there hasn't been a retractable roof stadium yet more aesthetically pleasing than the Skydome.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I would say Safeco Field tops Skydome for most aesthetically pleasing retractable roof MLB stadium but not by much. You think with in 30 years they'd be able to come up with something more eye pleasing.