Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

MMA General Discussion 2020

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
I didn't see the odds on Werdum until the fight was starting - I would have been all over that even though I thought Gus was a bad matchup.
I totally picked Gus to win straight up. But the UFC gave Werdum a +270. And after the fact I saw one site listing him as +600 to win by sub.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see what they do in the HW division after DC/Stipe 3. DC says he's done after the fight and there are rumors that Stipe may retire after the fight too.

If Stipe wins I could see Dana offering Stipe one more big payday to run it back against Ngannou. If they both are done after the fight, the HW division becomes a giant train wreck.

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Super happy for Ronson and Boser as Canadian MMA has been struggling in the UFC big time these last few years. I don't think either guy is ever going to attain top status or sniff a contender fight but they've been around for a while and deserve the props, Ronson especially as being the first guy to finish Dalby is a great feather in his cap.

They need to treat Chimaev like Goldberg when he first started off, have him smash jobbers and fight on every other show.

I'm not going to give Herb shit for the Pessoa stoppage because upon rewatch it's pretty clear that Raphael was trying to claim an eye poke with the way he went down so he had to let the sequence play out but the Herbert one was indefensible and it's even worse when you consider how wildly inconsistent he's been with stoppages too. Aspen Ladd gets dropped off a punch and he's rushing in to call the fight off but Herbert, who goes down like he's been shot needs to take three or four more punches before he'll step in.

Last edited:

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
How did I know JoJo was going to choke in this fight and lose her title shot?

Staff member
Reaction score
You don't throw kids in there with Derek Brunson. This guy fought Yoel Romero and Robert Whittaker toe to toe.

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I love how the doctor said he is fine and 20 seconds later he's on the ground and the fight is getting stopped.

Staff member
Reaction score
They didn't give Brunson a bonus either when he had by far the best performance on the show. I think that shows what the UFC was trying to do here and I'm glad they failed.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I also liked how Brunson said "I'm good" when Felder said who do you want to fight next.

I wouldn't say I'm glad the UFC failed, because Brunson will probably lose his next fight, but that's why they always need to be careful when setting up their "next big thing".

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Edmen shouldn't have been fighting somebody like Brunson anyways. He went from being unranked to somehow getting the #9 slot after beating Tavares which was a joke. And I was picking Edmen anyways because I didn't think Brunson could have stopped himself from falling back on bad habits but I'll fully admit I was wrong.

Vicente Luque for my money is the most overlooked and probably top five most entertaining guys in the UFC right now. 12-3 record with two of those losses being to Wonderboy and Leon Edwards with the other coming in his debut. Put some hespek on that mans name. He's ranked #10 now so hopefully he can get a big fight next because looking at guys like RDA and Chiesa ranked higher then him I think he beats both of those dudes.

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Killer card on Saturday. The Sanchez and Holland knockouts were brutal, Tucker vs Jaynes vs a sick fight as was Means/Staropoli. I don't know what Master Rafael has done to Beneil Dariush but this is the second guy this year that he's absolutely murdered on the feet and I hope that trend continues. The case for Weidman being a juicy juice boy was also 100% solidified even in victory on Saturday because The Chris that fought Anderson, Lyoto and others would have trashed Akhmedov and not gassed himself out three minutes in.

Lewis is in kind of a weird spot at HW. He has a victory over Ngannou even though the fight was horrid but he's lost to DC and the fight itself was one-sided. He also hasn't fought Blaydes or Stipe so those fights are there for him depending on what happens this weekend. I think regardless of the outcome we see Francis fight for the belt and we get Lewis/Blaydes for #1 contender, assuming the loser of DC/Stipe doesn't retire.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Ion Cutelaba has tested positive for COVID and the fight against Magomed Ankalaev is off. Stinks.

EDIT - Looks like they are going to try to have the fight on the August 29th show.

Last edited:

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Jan B vs Dom Reyes for the vacant LHW belt in September. I like the parallels to when GSP gave up the belt and the UFC made Hendricks vs Lawler because it's a matchup between a guy that a lot of people thought got screwed against the champ versus the guy who was logically next in line.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Frankie’s chin looks like it’s holding up at 135 so far. Close fight. Gotta imagine the damage on Munoz’s face didn’t do him any favors. Some great stuff tonight overall.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Frankie is a stud. Unreal to think that he went down two weight classes that he won a title at and beat a top 5 guy. Also if I'm Dana & Sean Shelby I'm never putting Frankie on a PPV again, unless its a title fight, put him in the main event of Fight Nights and let him go for 25 minutes.

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
For a card that got completely destroyed by injuries/illness this turned out to be a pretty fun show. I thought the main event was way closer then people were making it out to be, some had it 4-1 for Munhoz which is kinda crazy given how close the numbers were. Having said that, it's rare that a guy who spends the majority of the fight on the backfoot circling away and lands the less impressive shots wins a fight so I was kinda surprised that Frankie took it.

Seeing Agapova get worked by Shana (which, like, how do you come back from that?) makes me look at 2020 and realize that it's been the year that prospects get destroyed. At the beginning of the year we had Maycee Barber, Chase Hooper, Edmen and O'Malley all undefeated and all getting their 0 taken away. The UFC really needs to reevaluate how they're booking these fights.

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
He's already been caught once which is why the Romero fight happened earlier this year instead of Costa getting a title shot. He'll get caught again.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
8AD9316C-C214-44FE-B93B-DB845EDD53C4.jpeg
7 fights. Tonight’s total card. COVID running wild. Least amount of fights on a UFC card since 2005.

Staff member
Reaction score
Overeem nearly killed that dude. Those three elbows at the end had the worst sound.

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Good card on Saturday. Angela Hill got screwed by the judges for the second time this year. Horrible decision, she won 1, 2 and 5 easily and maybe the 4th as well.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I also thought Hill won but didn't think it was as big a victory as you. I thought Hill took the 5th in the waning seconds. I didn't see how anyone could give the 4th to Waterson, though.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
The last few posts in this thread have caused me to realize that I will never, ever, be a hardcore sports fan, but especially not of this sport. I've been (very) casually watching MMA for nearly twenty years and, apparently, I still don't really understand what the hell I'm looking at... I thought that Waterson did enough to win, but I clearly don't know shit about this.

In the interest of full transparency, though, I don't like Angela Hill, haven't liked her since the first time I saw her on Season 20 of The Ultimate Fighter, so that probably skews my ability to judge her fights objectively.

Staff member
Reaction score
The card tomorrow is a BANGER

Preliminary card (ESPN+)
Weight classMethodRoundTimeNotes
Main card (ESPN+)
WelterweightColby Covingtonvs.Tyron Woodley
WelterweightDonald Cerronevs.Niko Price
MiddleweightKhamzat Chimaevvs.Gerald Meerschaert
Light HeavyweightJohnny Walkervs.Ryan Spann
Women's StrawweightMackenzie Dernvs.Randa Markos
MiddleweightKevin Hollandvs.Darren Stewart
FlyweightJordan Espinosavs.David Dvořák
Women’s FlyweightMayra Bueno Silvavs.Mara Romero Borella
Women’s BantamweightJessica-Rose Clarkvs.Sarah Alpar
FeatherweightDarrick Minnervs.T.J. Laramie
BantamweightJourney Newsonvs.Randy Costa
BantamweightAndre Ewellvs.Irwin Rivera
BantamweightTyson Namvs.Jerome Rivera

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
I feel like there are going to be a lot of beatdowns on this one.

It's filled with action fighters and the ones that aren't like Colby will still look good dominating.