Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Music Videos

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
The board upgrade ruined 11 years of embedded Youtube videos. Oh well.

The recent blackface controversies had me revisit this problematic video. I'm not sure if this version ever aired on American TV, as there's an edited version that gets rid of some (but not all) of the blackface. I only ever saw it on VH1 in the late 90s. But I had forgotten just how weird this thing is. These are some genuinely unsettling images.

WTF is this shit. Also you can't tell from the shitty 30fps Youtube encoding but this was shot on videotape, so it looked even stranger when you saw it on TV. Anyway it's too bad the blackface tarnished what could have been a cool and creepy piece of art.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
If I remember right the original Fred Astaire version has lines about going to Harlem to look at the novelty of black people which get omitted almost everywhere.

Valeyard

Reaction score

Big Ozzy/Sabbath kick lately, and this video rules. I love that style and it suits what had to be the last gasp of Ozzy before 100% being a joke. I had it on his greatest hits compilation and thought it was okay, but video elevated it. I wish I'd seen this in high school so I could obsess over it.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I'm not watching that but I'm guessing that's the Paisley video with Maureen McCormick, just to complete the circle of pop culture.

What kind of god lets a name like Brad Paisley get wasted on a middling-at-best country star.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
if a screenwriter used the name "Brad Paisley" for a character that's a perfectly fine, moderately charismatic but mostly bland country star who records a really dumb song about racism, I'd give them a note that it seems too on the nose.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Name has range. Could be a white Prince cover performer, could be a movie hero, could be an iconic figure, could be a bullrider, whatever. It's wasted on this dope.

That song with Allison Krauss is alright, though.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I know a white Prince cover performer and dude was a complete ass and emotionally abusive to several of his exes. But what can ya expect from a white Prince tribute artist.

Also his rich dad occasionally springs for Dr. Fink to play keyboards. What were we talking about again?

Valeyard

Reaction score
Do you have footage of this Prince guy and can he post here?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I am no longer friends with him on Facebook. Literally my 2nd or 3rd thought after Prince died was “Ugh. Dean is going to get so many gigs now.”

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
I never knew I needed to see a Goth Girl dropped into Weezer group playing & singing a pop-rock love song... but here we go.