Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Nick Adenhart Killed

Boon

Win.
Reaction score

TMZ reports that 22-year-old Los Angeles Angels rookie pitcher Nick Adenhart was killed in a hit-and-run car accident early Thursday morning — just hours after pitching six shutout innings against the Oakland A's:

Cops say someone driving a minivan blew through a red light and hit the Mitsubishi that Adenhart was riding in. Three people were killed in the crash, including Nick.

Cops say the person driving the van fled the scene -- but was later caught and charged with felony hit-and-run.

We're told one of the other men killed in the crash was also affiliated with the Angels organization.

The AP's story on Wednesday's game — in which the A's beat the Angels 6-4 — notes that it was Adenhart's fourth major league start:

Angels rookie Nick Adenhart scattered seven hits over six scoreless innings and escaped a pair of bases-loaded jams. He struck out five and walked three in his fourth major league start.

Adenhart was born in Silver Springs, Maryland on August 24, 1986. The right-handed pitcher graduated from Williamsport High School in Maryland and made his major league debut on May 1, 2008.

Updated with ESPN's story:
Nick Adenhart, a rookie pitcher for the Los Angeles Angels, died in a car crash early Thursday morning, just hours after pitching in a game in Anaheim.

A source with knowledge of the situation confirmed to ESPN.com that Adenhart had been killed in a car accident.

Wednesday night, Adenhart had pitched six scoreless innings, giving up seven hits, striking out five and walking three in just his fourth major league start.

According to multiple reports out of the Los Angeles area, three people were killed in the three-car crash in Fullerton, Calif. One person was reported to be seriously injured.

According to the Los Angeles Times, witnesses told police that the driver of a red minivan blew through a red light and hit a Mitsubishi carrying four people.

The Times reported that the minivan's driver ran from the scene, but was arrested about a mile away.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Jeez :( Fuck the person who ran away.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
Hit and run is right up there with DUIs in my mind. Making a conscious decision to flee the scene of an accident you caused is a scummy move. And with in my experience from people I know who have been victims of hit and runs, quite often they ran because they were drunk and needed to sober up before the cops found them. Wouldn't surprise me if that were the case here.

Dobbs3K

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Fuzzy Dunlop said:
Who cares? People we don't know die every day.

Shut up. Are you trying to impress people with how hard you are? Gimme a break.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Adenhart's death is a big story, ergo it merits discussion.

What a waste of a first post. Way to ingratiate yourself to the forum.

C

Chazz

Anytime there is a story like this, there always has to be someone who makes an idiotic statement to try to get attention for themselves. Nothing new. Re: the topic at hand, I hope the judge throws the book at this asshole, but I'm not holding my breath.

alkeiper

Reaction score
Chazz said:
Anytime there is a story like this, there always has to be someone who makes an idiotic statement to try to get attention for themselves. Nothing new. Re: the topic at hand, I hope the judge throws the book at this asshole, but I'm not holding my breath.
I have little doubt they will. ESPN reported that the driver had a suspended license and prior DUI. He's fucked.

Bored

Boreding Hard
Reaction score
Chazz said:

Hit & Run DUI with three (and potentially four) counts of vehicular manslaughter...he's fucked, even in California.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Okay, it's awful whenever anybody dies so young, and like everyone else I hope the driver gets life in jail for this, but I just can't care about this any more than I would any random person. I'm sorry if I came off like a dick.

chuck415

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Baseball player or not it's always tragic when a 22 year old dies.

oldskool

oldskool
Reaction score
You never really think "Gee, I could die in here." and yet it's true every time you get into any vehicle, through no fault of your own. Tragic, and since I'm 22 it's extra unsettling.

alkeiper

Reaction score
It's sad because Nick Adenhart really could have been anything. He might have flamed out. He might have been an All-Star. We'll never know.

Perfxion

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I have always been on the opinion that hit&runs/drunk driving manslaughter should always be charged as 2nd degree murder. It is sad that he died so young....

The thing with him is the whole what ifs.

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
No, they shouldn't be. Murder= intent, and they had no intent of killing the person.

alkeiper

Reaction score
There's no intent, but it's not like this happened accidentally during an innocent act. This person made a careless decision to drive impaired, took the lives of three people and critically injured a fourth. That is a heinous crime.

BX

BX
Reaction score
Dobbs3K said:
Fuzzy Dunlop said:
Who cares? People we don't know die every day.

Shut up. Are you trying to impress people with how hard you are? Gimme a break.

Are you trying to impress people with how fucking shallow and superficial your personal life is?

"Oh God, Nick's dead. NICK'S DEAD!! The room is spinning."

Perfxion

Integral Poster
Reaction score
2nd degree is murder without intent for that victim and premeditation. This whole thing could have been prevented by calling a cab. He shouldn't have been driving to begin with. So I think life in prison for killing three people is fair.