Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Once Upon a Time In Hollywood

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm cautiously optimistic given the cast but I've been somewhat underwhelmed by Tarantino's last several outings with the lone exception possibly being Inglourious Basterds, which was a decade ago. I felt like parts of Django Unchained were better than the sum.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
My most anticipated film of 2019. So hyped. Django had its problems but I really enjoyed Hateful Eight. This looks to be Tarantino having all the fun in the world I'm all aboard.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
While the last three Tarantino movies may not have been his best. I think they’re three of his most rewatchable. One thing I really appreciate about his movies is that if you ask a hundred people to rank his work I doubt you’ll see many patterns. Many peoples lowest will be others highest (maybe Death Proof is the outlier)

Trailer doesn’t do much for me. But I’m sure it’ll be great. Love the casting.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I had no idea this was a thing until you posted the teaser. This looks great.

Epic Reine said:
Django had its problems but I really enjoyed Hateful Eight.
I'm the opposite. I had more problems with Hateful Eight, mostly from a dragging standpoint. I'd hate to have seen the length of the original cut of that film.

Although, I *loved* the filter/film stock for Hateful Eight. More from a novelty standpoint, but still, great addition.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Same here. I enjoyed Django but felt Hateful Eight would have been much better if 45 minutes or so would have been lopped off the runtime. I rarely fall asleep during movies I've never seen but did so watching it.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
All of Tarantino's films are at the very least "very good". Not a miss in his entire filmography (yes, including Death Proof). If I had to rank them, I'd put Pulp Fiction, Kill, Bill, and Bastards at the top while Jackie Brown, Django, and Death Proof would take the bottom slot. Dogs and HE would be in the middle.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think Django is a pretty great movie until the last 25 minutes or so. I really really like Hateful Eight as well. Neither should be pushing 3 hours though.

I probably have Jackie Brown as his best actually.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I love the dialogue in his movies but sometimes it seems like he has extended scenes that try to get too cute with it.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
AA484 said:
Don't get me wrong, I love the dialogue in his movies but sometimes it seems like he has extended scenes that try to get too cute with it.

That's kind of what hurt Pulp Fiction for me on frequent rewatches. More so for Uma's scenes then anyone else really. Samuel L. Jackson is incredible at Tarantino dialogue though.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I didn't think those dialogue exchanges wore out their welcome, though. They were just the right length. Some of Hateful Eight seemed longwinded for the sake of being longwinded. "Listen to that smart dialogue!"

Staff member
Reaction score
This is getting amazing early reviews.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/may/21/once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-review-tarantino-dazzling-dicaprio-pitt

I didn't read it, but in case anyone wants to!

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
The spoiler is kinda big...

WORD ON THE STREET - "FLOP": Sony is exceedingly worried that Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood will significantly underperform at this month's box office. Latest tracking shows it opening much lower than the $50 million originally expected (and needed). As of now, it may not crack $100 million US total. A disaster that would leave egg on many faces. Only Pitt and DiCaprio would come out unscathed.

The movie cost $150 million, at least, and Sony has spent another $100-130 million on global marketing. The studio is in a jam because Tarantino will not allow his movie to be "spoiled" by marketing and press.
Problem is...there is no signature ultraviolence that audiences crave until the final 15 minutes. The lack of guns, blood, action, sex and even romance in the marketing isn't connecting.
Especially with younger audiences who don't understand the plot nor find the brief Manson subplot or Sharon Tate to be engaging.

The Hateful 8 disappointed but its stagey contained set tempered it. But this movie is supposed to be huge. His first without his mentor, infamous legend Harvey Weinstein. Sony needs QT to stay in their fold but he'll likely bail if this doesn't rack up Django grosses. Worldwide is a little better, but $350 million including US does not break even.

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score
So this might be my favorite Tarantino movie, and my favorite movie of the year so far.

Staff member
Reaction score
Amazing film, will write review later. Probably his best since Pulp Fiction.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Have not seen it yet, but instagram tells me Harley Q Smith (daughter of Kevin Smith) is in this. I'm now even more intrigued from a 1999 standpoint.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Cool said:
The spoiler is kinda big...

WORD ON THE STREET - "FLOP": Sony is exceedingly worried that Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood will significantly underperform at this month's box office. Latest tracking shows it opening much lower than the $50 million originally expected (and needed). As of now, it may not crack $100 million US total. A disaster that would leave egg on many faces. Only Pitt and DiCaprio would come out unscathed.

The movie cost $150 million, at least, and Sony has spent another $100-130 million on global marketing. The studio is in a jam because Tarantino will not allow his movie to be "spoiled" by marketing and press. Especially with younger audiences who don't understand the plot nor find the brief Manson subplot or Sharon Tate to be engaging.

The Hateful 8 disappointed but its stagey contained set tempered it. But this movie is supposed to be huge. His first without his mentor, infamous legend Harvey Weinstein. Sony needs QT to stay in their fold but he'll likely bail if this doesn't rack up Django grosses. Worldwide is a little better, but $350 million including US does not break even.

"In the runner-up position is Sony's debut of Quentin Tarantino's Once Upon a Time in Hollywood with an estimated $40.35 million, serving as the largest opening weekend for the director, topping the $38 million opening for Inglourious Basterds back in August 2009. Opening day audiences gave the film a "B" CinemaScore, which is almost a grade point below the "A-" for Django Unchained. The crowd was 54% male and 64% were aged 25 or older."

Estimated to open at almost $10 Million under with Hobbs & Shaw and The Nightingale (Jennifer Kent's follow up film after The Babadook) coming August 2nd then Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark & Dora the Lost City of Gold on August 9th. Movie may be in trouble.

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think anyone made this intending to make massive money.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I said it in the chat yesterday, but it opened to higher than what I was expecting. I was thinking 25-28 mil or so. I don't know how the legs will hold up with Hobbs and Shaw, but it could make 100 mil domestic.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Been reading that Pitt is unbelievably great in this and might be the best performance of his career. Look forward to BP playing aging, crusty shit kicking bastards from now on!

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I kinda didn't like this movie. It's not bad, but it just seemed like Tarantino wanted to make a movie set in 1969 and went from there.

Staff member
Reaction score
Another bad non-story attempting to create drama incoming:

Bruce Lee’s daughter, Shannon Lee, says it was “disheartening” to see Quentin Tarantino depict her father in “Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood” as “an arrogant a–hole who was full of hot air.”

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/bruce-lee-daughter-saddened-mockery-231355515.html

The reality:

After the release of Return of the Dragon...Mr. Wong wrote a little notice in his fan magazine saying that Bruce Lee had “not matured yet as a director.”...

No sooner did Lee read the notice than he summoned Wong to the office of the boss of the film company, Raymond Chow. The moment Wong walked through the door, he got an order from Lee to sit down...

“When you take a pen,” [Lee] enunciated with pedantic but terrifying precision, "it's exactly as if you took a knife or a gun. One slip and you’ve inflicted a deadly wound.” Then, just to make the point a little clearer, Lee grabbed his belt buckle and extracted from it one of those concealed knives...Laying the tip of the blade precisely on the carotid artery in the editor's neck, Lee drove home his point. “My knife is just like your pen. If you criticize, you hurt!”

To promote his school, the Jun Fan Gung Institute, in Oakland, Lee frequently gave demonstrations of his skills. Though he had not fully sculpted the action figure physique he would become known for, Lee had a series of theatrical displays that usually left audiences impressed.

The best known was Lee’s “one-inch punch,” a strike with no wind-up that was delivered from an incredibly short distance. While appearing at the Sun Sing Theatre in San Francisco that October, Lee invited a spectator to come and hold a pad. It was expected the man would be knocked backward, just as Lee had done dozens of times before.

Lee threw his punch, but the man was unmoved. Frustrated, Lee committed to a second, which sent the volunteer flying and complaining he wasn’t prepared for another strike.

It played like a comedy routine, and the audience began laughing. Lee, who had a tendency to lose his temper in record time, began seething. Some spectators flicked cigarette butts at his feet.

Annoyed, Lee invited anyone who thought they could do better to the stage. He was the best man there, he said, and the best fighter in San Francisco, and would welcome any challenges to be proven wrong.

https://mentalfloss.com/article/67108/time-bruce-lee-was-challenged-real-fight

The bolded is almost exactly what happens in the movie lirl

I think there's a real problem with the media when they seek out the attention of someone whose dad died when they were 4 in an attempt to create drama. It's not like Bruce lived long enough for his daughter to really know what he was like in any case.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I really enjoyed this. It's not his best but it's still a top notch entry in his filmography. All the Manson children were really good (well at least the ones who didn't just stand around) and shout out to Mikey Madison. Definitely Brad Pitt's best performance in years.

This got me thinking about his looming "retirement" since this one was #9. Does he go all out for #10 and hang it up for good or does he take a few years off and start making films again? Tarantino, in interviews, makes it clear that he wants his retirement from film-making to stick. But, you never know.

Anyway, Tarantino ranked from best to worst (according to me):

1.) Pulp Fiction
2.) Kill Bill
3.) Inglorious Basterds
4.) Reservoir Dogs
5.) Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
6.) The Hateful Eight
7.) Django Unchained
8.) Death Proof
9.) Jackie Brown

Keep in mind that his "worst" film is still eons better than most directors' best. Don't sleep on Jackie Brown and I feel Death Proof doesn't get enough love.

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
https://www.indiewire.com/2019/08/brad-pitt-rejected-extended-bruce-lee-fight-once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-1202163376/

bah gawd

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score
Saw it today. Liked it a lot, possibly loved it. Pitt killed it. Damian Lewis as Steve McQueen! Dewey as Manson! Maya Hawke was there for a second as the Manson girl who takes off with the car. Casting was great all around. Whoever played the hitchhiker Manson chick. The scenes with Leo and the young actress were great. Loved the F'n flamethrower and the alternate ending. Yea fuck it, I loved this flick.

Only complaint is it needed a 5-10 minute intermission. I had to duck out to piss during the California Dreaming cover sequence, don't think I missed too much. Gotta do a couple rewatches but it definitely holds up to the rest of his catalogue.

Oh and I loved the shout out to Antonio Margheriti!

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
treble said:
I kinda didn't like this movie. It's not bad, but it just seemed like Tarantino wanted to make a movie set in 1969 and went from there.

I’m kinda there as well. Saw it tonight. Performances were great. Some scenes we’re great, but it didn’t get there for me. Probably one of his least rewatchable ones for me.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://www.dazeddigital.com/film-t...pointed-in-quentin-tarantino-portrayal-of-him

Am I insensitive that the first thing I think is "get over it". It's fucking 2020 and the world is burning and there is a threat of Nazis getting a second term with the presidency, no one really cares about that 90 second scene in a three hour movie and your father is still respected as a global icon and one of the most respected figures in movie history. I don't even hear anyone really talking about that scene anymore and never thought it was that disrespectful. Bruce Lee always had a swagger and cockiness about him and that's why he was so cool. It's not like Cliff beat his ass or anything and Bruce Lee was portrayed as a bumbling oaf, it was a draw and Bruce did some trash talk.

Last edited:

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It was a 50/50 fight in the movie. Bruce's character seemed like SLIGHTLY arrogant but I highly doubt that it cratered his legacy. I'm fairly certain Shannon Lee didn't even watch it.