Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Puroresu Love & Resources V3

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Trying to avoid spoilers since I'm two shows behind but I did see that
Will Ospreay turned heel (and was joined by Bea Priestly and Great-O-Kharn). Which, personal feelings on him being a garbage human aside (although it might be reason they did pull trigger on heel turn), is a very smart creative decision. He just seems like such a natural, smug, doofy arrogant heel.
(spoiler tagging because @cobainwasmurdered may still be a few shows behind as well and I don't want to get banned)

I went on Twitter when I woke up this morning not thinking I would see something like this. I saw one person post it and thought it was a joke, then I saw another 3 people and got off fast. It's a great move and HUGE surprise and HUGE story. About time they shake things up.

Ibushi vs TAICHI was something completely different, and I really liked it. It was a match made up entirely of kicks. They just one upped each other in kicks. Very different, and very good.

Last edited:

Slayer

I have no lies or truth in what I say
Reaction score
re: Block A Finals Night

even though it was semi-known from the cardsposted ahead of time, I loved that for the first time in I dunno how long we had a G1 block final that didn't come down to a h2h winner-take-all final block match. On top of that, I was very happy to see Ishii getting to play the big spoiler and also getting the main event win on the last night

Ibushi is now the first wrestler to make three finals in a row (something even Chono and Tenzan never did) which is pretty nuts considering he wasn't even fully committed to NJPW until sometime after his first final. This also extends the wrestlers making consecutive G1 finals streak that includes Nakamura 14-15, Omega 16-17 and now Ibushi the last three years (note that the streak would have also continued had Jay advanced instead)

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I kind of wonder if pairing Okada in a series against Will Ospreay is transparent attempt to try and top the Kenny Omega series? Ospreay IMO is better than Omega and is even more of a douche IRL. It could work!

Slayer

Reaction score
Was checking upcoming schedule for other feds and caught by surprise that Zeus' Triple Crown title challenge from winning the Champion Carnival is tonight in Osaka (so no h2h competition with the G1, also notable in that it's Zeus' home city). For reference, the CC final was on the 5th, less than two weeks ago. I know that I and some others (like @King Kamala I think?) have complained about the far-too-long stretch between the normal G1 end in August and January 4th (for which this year is greatly refreshing and shame it's not permanent), but this is just as bad in the other direction!

That being said, it's easily Suwama's biggest defense of this reign. Can the old vet continue with what is likely his last Triple Crown reign, or will Zeus claim the TC for a second time?

EkNCMB_VoAEeUrR

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Rocky Romero confusing Issac Newton for Issac Yankem reminded me of my friend Jesse trolling our 10th grade science teacher by asking him if Carl Sagan was the lead singer of Steely Dan.

Slayer

Reaction score
Not too much to say about the Block B Final Night but

Even though we did fall back on the ol' standard of "last block match becomes winner-take-all", I did love that the two final matches both ended with cradles/roll-ups instead of finisher fests

Now the question of who I want to win in the finals. Assuming the championship and challenge don't change en route to WK (bold assumption, given 2020), it's a tough call either way. Part of me wants to see Ibushi be the first repeater since Tenzan because he's so great and all, but I really don't care for yet another Ibushi/Naito neck-wreck fest. OTOH I'm ready for Sanada to ditch the choker label as well as finally get a WK main spot, with the big story of going against his stablemate (again).

Also watched Suwama/Zeus this morning, good match that I think went a little too long though so I don't know if I'd put it in the MOTY thread

Verrrry surprised that Suwama retained here, figured that between being in Zeus' hometown plus the momentum of his CC performance (which included dominant wins over both the champion and company ace) that Zeus was winning the belt here. Wondering too where they go from here since AJ doesn't really do the "wrestler who beats the champ during a round-robin gets a later title shot" (in this case, Jake Lee and Jiro Ikemen) like NJ and the G1

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
As awesome as Ibushi is and he is a strong contender for best in the world today, I can't help but root for SANADA. If he can't win this, he'll forever be saddled with the label of being a massive choker.

Slayer

Reaction score
Friendly note that the G1 finals show tonight is earlier than the block nights at 11PM PT/2AM ET, so watching live is more doable for any ambitious west coasters (or insomniac east coasters)

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Friendly note that the G1 finals show tonight is earlier than the block nights at 11PM PT/2AM ET, so watching live is more doable for any ambitious west coasters (or insomniac east coasters)

Any news on when they're going to release the card? I know for NY Dash they do it at like 9pm EST after WK is over, so I figured they might do the same for this, but I haven't seen anything yet.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

At this stage, I am such an old man now that it is more likely I will wake up early for the 5/5:30 AM cards than stay up late for the 2 AM cards.

I was wondering what the undercard was for tomorrow too.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I wasn't expecting anything other than Road To cards level filler but I'm sure it'll be fun filler and it'll be nice to see the juniors back in action.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Looks like it's also previewing some future matches, maybe building to WK. Okada vs Ospreay, which we knew would happen, another Suzuki vs Shingo classic for the NEVEROpen title, Naito vs EVIL probably for the next big show for the World Title before WK.

Interested to see if there is more to the Ospreay group, maybe a turn from SHO, or another debut?

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score
sad that my dawg SANADA didn't win but still happy since I'm a big Ibushi guy. I don't think Ibushi (or sanada if he won should be losing another title match and I also don't think Naito should be dropping the belt(s) again already so it feels like a bit of a trap.

The Ospreay/Okhan team is oof bad and doesn't make a lot of sense. The Okhan gimmick in 2020 in general feels incredibly dated.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm still 3 shows behind but managed to remain spoiler free but I found the finals result on an old school WWF group that I assumed had no interest in NJPW. WTH?

Anyway, it seems like the obvious direction that Gedo wants us to think they're going creatively IMO is Kota redeeming himself after going 0-2 last year at WK. I could certainly see Kota winning the belt(s?) from Naito at WK and I would be pleased as punch with it BUT Idk...something seems off about the scenario and makes me think he's going to lose the title shot. Face Vs Face main event at the biggest show of the year doesn't seem like NJPW's vibe.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I got to give props to Tsuji, Kidd, and Ueumura for bringing an intensity that you don't usually see in Young Lions matches. They actually made the joke tournament (that may not be an actual tournament) feel somewhat important!

It's also confirmed WrestleKingdom will be a two night event again. I assumed they wanted to do it but wasn't sure given the global pandemic.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
They announced the card for Power Struggle this morning. Got mixed feelings about it. I'd much rather have seen SANADA than Naito/EVIL IV but I understand that they don't want SANADA to lose ANOTHER main event (especially two in a row).

I'm even less happy that Okada continues his semi-slump with a match against racist caricature '80s Japanese heel lackey. I guess they want to save the Ospreay match for WrestleKingdom but honestly, I'd have had Ospreay get a dominant win here than have Okada win the rematch at WrestleKingdom by having to resort to his "classic style".

On the positive side, I'm pumped that all signs seem to be pointing to Tanahashi Vs Mox at WrestleKingdom if Mox is able to be there (and that is a huge if). MOST IMPORTANTLY, we're getting Toru Yano Vs ZSJ for the Provisional KOPW Title. I love how ZSJ plays straightman in comedy matches.

Slayer

Reaction score
If not Sanada (which I agree about not wanting him to lose yet another big show main) then I would have gone with a Naito/Kenta* rubber match myself, would want to see that 100x more than the fourth Naito/Evil match in four months

* if you ask "what about the US title challenge briefcase?", aside from the comedy aspects of Kenta's using it during the G1, my opinion of that is even lower than the actual US title itself

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If it hadn't been for pandemic, I think the US Title division would've been good but ya know...

And yes, I would have preferred Naito/KENTA III over Naito/EVIL IV too. KENTA could've always lost the briefcase at BOSJ/World Tag League Finals at Budokhan. But I guess it's important for Gedo to try and emphasize "Yes, EVIL is main event level now." grumble grumble.

I actually don't totally hate the idea of EVIL being a main eventer but four main events in four months is too much!

Slayer

Reaction score
and Evil could be a main eventer if Gedo would ever get out of his comfort zone of the half-hour-epic main-event style, which works great for the Okadas Tanahashis and Naitos of the fed but doesn't play to Evil's strengths whatsoever

Also Evil would be more bearable if he was more like Kenta and did all of his own heel work/rulebreaking instead of relying on Togo's interference

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
In third tier NJPW shows that only I care about news, does anybody else think it would make total sense of YOSHI-HASHI to lose in humiliating fashion and cost CHAOS the NEVER Open Weight Six Man Tag Team Titles at the Korakuen Hall show on Friday.

Also I'd like to thank NJPW World for showing restraint and only broadcasting 3 shows during this next ROAD TO tour because watching G1 has become such a dily habit that I'd instinctively watch 4 or 5 of them before saying "Wait. I don't need to watch any of these!"

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Catching up on random NJPW from this year that I missed and I watched the NEVER Openweight Six Man Title tournament finals and Ishii-Hirooki Goto-YOSHI-HASHI's first title defense and between these matches and his run in the G1 Climax, I LOVE YOSHI-HASHI NOW! I stan NJPW's lovable loser (that is becoming just slightly less of a loser this year)

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Catching up on random NJPW from this year that I missed and I watched the NEVER Openweight Six Man Title tournament finals and Ishii-Hirooki Goto-YOSHI-HASHI's first title defense and between these matches and his run in the G1 Climax, I LOVE YOSHI-HASHI NOW! I stan NJPW's lovable loser (that is becoming just slightly less of a loser this year)

My daughter loves him, mainly because she thinks it's fun to say his name.

Regarding your last post, I can't see ZSJ and Taichi holding both the tag and 6 man titles. And DOUKI is the level just about Gedo as far as getting pins is concerned. My guess is YH gets his pin back.

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score

AJPW and NJPW will be doing a Giant Baba Anniversary show together on 2/4. The last one they did was a lot of fun. I keep hoping it leads to even more copromoted shows. Seeing Miyahara working with the NJPW guys is fantastic.