Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Recommend a show others might not know about.

Adam

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This thread is for shows that you think are awesome but aren't that well known to others.

A perfect example is something that isn't shown any more, 'I'm Alan Partridge' - It will be familiar to most UK posters on here but probably not to others.

What do you like that others might not even know about?

Nightwing

Nightwing
Reaction score
Top Gear. It's on BBC America if you're in the States. That show is absolutely awesome, even if you aren't a die-hard car fanatic.

Garth Marenghi's Dark Place. VERY short run, but hilarious. Parody of those 1980's shows, especially those with the pretentious "genius" writers.

Adam

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Nightwing said:
Top Gear. It's on BBC America if you're in the States. That show is absolutely awesome, even if you aren't a die-hard car fanatic.

Quoted for truth. I know NOTHING about cars and have no interest. But I won't ever miss an episode of Top Gear.

Nightwing

Nightwing
Reaction score
It had a thread on the other forums and has one here. I've not seen it, but it's all one of local morning radio shows likes to talk about.

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
It had a run in the 90s in the States but doesn't get much love anymore, but Red Dwarf is freaking awesome and I wish BBC America would start playing it again.

bigolsmitty

stares Trick Daddily
Reaction score
daileyxplanet said:
Does anyone watch Dexter? The premise of the show sounds good. But a lot of TV sounds good on paper.

Dexter is pretty damn good. I think it has some of the best character development of any show I've watched in some time.

I know most people already know about The Wire, but seriously, if you haven't watched this show, you should. IMHO, it's the best TV show ever made.

Adam

Integral Poster
Reaction score
JHawk said:
It had a run in the 90s in the States but doesn't get much love anymore, but Red Dwarf is freaking awesome and I wish BBC America would start playing it again.

It should do. I assume the UK guys will be watching the brand new episodes next weekend?

OG

OG
Reaction score
Eventhough many here have seen it, for those who haven't: The Shield. My pick for the best TV show ever made.

Also The Job with Denis Leary was a really good show for the season it ran.

tonyjaymz03

Kinsey
Reaction score
I've become addicted to any show Gordon Ramsay does, like The F Word and Kitchen Nightmares

Dragon's Den is a hell of a show too

I'm loving BBC America if you can't tell

Nightwing

Nightwing
Reaction score
I'd forgotten about Dragon's Den! I've only seen a few episodes, but that show has legitimate tension to it. I wish they'd do an American version, but I'm fairly sure the networks would want them to spice it up somehow rather than have the tension of the the negotiating.

BBC America is a truly wonderful network.

tonyjaymz03

Kinsey
Reaction score
Nightwing said:
I'd forgotten about Dragon's Den! I've only seen a few episodes, but that show has legitimate tension to it. I wish they'd do an American version, but I'm fairly sure the networks would want them to spice it up somehow rather than have the tension of the the negotiating.

If i recall correctly, they are planning on doing an American version, titled something like Shark Tank

Didn't the Last restaurant Standing American version fail horribly?

Rendclaw

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Celebrity Rehab is pretty damn riveting stuff, even if the celebs get paid a shitload of money to do it.

Adam

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Dragons Den has its moments, but it has some god-awful moments as well.

Nightwing

Nightwing
Reaction score
tonyjaymz03 said:
Nightwing said:

If i recall correctly, they are planning on doing an American version, titled something like Shark Tank

Didn't the Last restaurant Standing American version fail horribly?

Oh Christ, really? SHARK TANK? I liked Dragon's Den, but maybe it's because I'm a nerd and know something about what Dragon's are and how it kind of matches the show.

Generally speaking, most British-turned-American shows fail. They lose something when Americans try to do them. The only thing that managed to succeed in crossing over was The Office, which split from the original series and really tried to be something else completely.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Adam said:
This thread is for shows that you think are awesome but aren't that well known to others.

A perfect example is something that isn't shown any more, 'I'm Alan Partridge' - It will be familiar to most UK posters on here but probably not to others.

Damn Franchise, that was the exact show I was about to recommend. I was just rewatching Knowing Me, Knowing You last night. I rented the first series on Netflix after seeing Steve Coogan in Twenty Four Hour Party People and was hooked immediately. I've been recommending it to friends pretty much ever since. Brilliant stuff. Too bad, the second series hasn't been released on DVD stateside.

Well since my recommendation has been taken, I'll recommend a show that has a considerable cult following but is still quite underrated IMHO...Home Movies. For my money, Coach McGuirk is one of the five funniest characters in television history.

Adam

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Youtube is full of great Partridge clips.

(After Alan eats something from the microwave)

'How long did you put this in for Lynn?'
'Eight minutes'
'It's hotter than the sun!'

Jingus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Nightwing said:
Garth Marenghi's Dark Place. VERY short run, but hilarious. Parody of those 1980's shows, especially those with the pretentious "genius" writers.
This is the very first thing that came to mind when I saw this. Such an awesome show.

The Buzz

Integral Poster
Reaction score
In Treatment on HBO, although maybe a lot have atleast heard of it. Pretty good drama, that ends up hooking you if you sit down to watch an episode. There are 43 25 minute episodes, but they all fly by pretty fast.

I'll give a nod to Moonlight, which has this Kolchak The Night Stalker, and Forever Knight vibe but updated and not quite as good. It's still worth a watch and picks up once you get through the pilot.

Life is a pretty good detective show that has an interesting spin, I don't see talked about much on the net.

Revelations was a pretty decent end of days mini-series from a few years back, that might be overlooked. Definitely worth a watch.

For those that have seen the shows how is Spaced? What about Primeval?

Jingus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Spaced is a lot of fun. It's half a sitcom and half a satirical drama from the team behind Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. One of those shows which actually makes you feel happier after you watch it.

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
Breaking Bad has become my new favorite show on TV. It's just a solidly written an acted show.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Spaced is really good, even though I know I don't get at least half the references they throw in there.

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Everyone should go out and buy Wonderfalls on DVD. A great great great show that lasted less than a year on (you guessed it) Fox.

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score
I'm a HUGE Home Movies fan, it's brilliant, but it seems to be one of those shows that a lot of people don't "get" for whatever reason, the few people I've gotten to watch it had very blah reactions to it

The first season of Dexter was good, but it's gotten progressively more ridiculous and I stopped watching it

I will recommend the first season of a show from the UK called Skins. Bout a group of teenagers, partying and fucking and going through the usual drama of life as teenagers. I didn't care for season 2 as much, but season 1 was great.

Reaction score
You guys must get the first two seasons of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia".

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score
I was late to pick up on that show, but I found it so awesome that basically watched the entire run in a matter of weeks

It's kind of scary how much I relate to those characters

Rendclaw

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Buzz said:
In Treatment on HBO, although maybe a lot have atleast heard of it. Pretty good drama, that ends up hooking you if you sit down to watch an episode. There are 43 25 minute episodes, but they all fly by pretty fast.

I'll give a nod to Moonlight, which has this Kolchak The Night Stalker, and Forever Knight vibe but updated and not quite as good. It's still worth a watch and picks up once you get through the pilot.

Life is a pretty good detective show that has an interesting spin, I don't see talked about much on the net.

Revelations was a pretty decent end of days mini-series from a few years back, that might be overlooked. Definitely worth a watch.

For those that have seen the shows how is Spaced? What about Primeval?

Agreed... In Treatment is a very good show even if I disliked the way Paul (the main character, attracted to one of his patients but ends up not being with her at the end of the first season) was being treated by his wife (who actually did cheat on him) and their therapist (something of a professional rival to Paul). It looked like they were ganging up on him in spots, and that pissed me off.

But yes, there was some major, riveting stuff going on. Excellent.... now I need to go to my OnDemand and take a look at the second season.

CookieMueller

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I really loved the Lisa Kudrow show "The Comeback" on HBO. It only lasted a season but it's with "30 Rock" and "Strangers With Candy" as my all-time favourite tv shows.

Lisa Kudrow got an Emmy nomination for the show, but HBO still cancelled it, probably because it was a little too dark for people that were fans of "Friends". I think it premiered well and lost a lot of viewers later. Lisa really carries that show, although her young costar is pretty fine. Don't know the actress' name but she is one of the stars of "The Watchmen" and is naked in "The Comeback" once or twice.