Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Saturday Night Live

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/17/us/politics/shane-gillis-snl-andrew-yang.html
Fuck ya! My man Andrew Yang is gonna SET THINGS STRAIGHT.

In all honesty, I hope Shane Gillis learns SOMETHING from this and doesn't go down the path of Owen Benjamin and become an insane alt right pariah.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Based on his two blase apologies and statements, I think he's too far gone already to not hit that path.

Like you guys said, he'll definitely be a bigger name after this than if they kept him. Luckily I stopped caring about angry white man ranting comics years ago, so I won't notice him. He was already a fixture on some of the podcasts that a lot of that fanbase for those comics care about like League Of Skanks and the hilariously titled Cumtown so now that Rogan/Burr/Jim Jeffries/etc are getting older he'll be the top star that tells it like it is.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
There's a subtle but distinct difference between Legion of Skanks type comics and Owen Benjamin. Somewhere in between that line is Nick DiPaolo. None of the LoS chuds have been so insane that they got banned for life from InfoWars (and Joe Rogan Experience) for being too much of a right wing nut. There's a good article to be written about how exactly Owen Benjamin went from dude who was engaged to Christina Ricci and getting supporting roles in Happy Madison productions to guy who is so nuts he gets banned from gd InfoWars. Assuming it was some sort of psychotic break.

A lot of Shane's material when I saw him a year and a half or so ago about was learning and maturing from his Pennsylvania hick path so Idk...I guess he didn't learn that much after all! Hopefully, the pragmatist that our country needs Andrew Yang sets him straight.

CookieMueller

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Hell yeah! Thank god SOMEONE is out there PUSHING THE BOUNDARIES by being the first white guy to say women and gay dudes aren't funny! Hard to believe it took until 2019 for someone to have the balls to do it!

As others have said though, he'll be a big hit on the comedy circuit so I wish people would stop crying for him. Some of the hyperbole is as if we're suggesting he should be taken out back and shot. No one is saying he shouldn't be able to make unfunny jokes, just that NBC is under no obligation to let him do it on their programming.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/RobSchneider/status/1173728343377641474

Does anyone care what Rob Schneider looking and talking like an Old West doctor thinks?

https://youtu.be/msKI1T9i710

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/snl-conservative-shane-gillis-hire-1203339723/

I had a feeling the reason they hired him was to try to appeal to that base. I'm glad I stopped watching SNL after Trump hosted. Also, the last paragraph kind of sums up the current state of the comedy scene with the comedians condemning him being people of color and the comedians defending him being old white guys.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/17/opinions/why-shane-gillis-was-fired-judy-gold/index.html
Judy Gold has the best take.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/shane-gillis-makes-first-stand-up-appearance-since-snl-firing-1203341768/

Looks like he's doubling down on going after cancel culture and "sticking to his guns". Also he says he took an "artistic chance" which wtf. Making the same observations and racist comments that people have been saying for decades isn't an artistic boundary pushing statement, it's lazy and racist garbage. Calling Judd Apatow and Chris Gethard "GAYER THAN FUCKING ISIS" for talking about their depression in their acts sounds like the same artistic chance any random 12 year old on X-Box live would take.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So the season opens with a giant Trump administration sketch that culiminates with a LIEV SCHRIEBER cameo? That's like a MadTV level celebrity cameo. WTH? I hate SNL, guys

giphy.gif

TFW you watch a 10 minute long dumb Alec Baldwin as Trump sketch that's punchline is a Liev Schrieber cameo.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Wow I've never seen a sketch breakdown like that one with Aidy Bryant. Tons of production errors and a stage hand visible on camera. What the hell it is like they weren't prepared for this show or something

CookieMueller

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It was like they really wanted to do the Democratic debate as the cold open, with Larry David and Maya Rudolph etc. But then the impeachment happened and Alec Baldwin was like "ok I'll do it" (because wasn't he supposed to be done?) and so they figured they HAVE to an impeachment cold open and that's why it was rushed and sucked.

Most of the show sucked though so that kind of sinks my argument. The dem debate was probably the best thing. The Marianne Williamson impression was good and funny but they're like 3 months late on it so meh.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah. The Democratic Debate was decent but a little bit odd. I loved Maya Rudolph as Kamala Harris and I liked Larry David as Bernie (who actually seemed to work on his impression a bit during the time off unlike Baldwin) and Woody Harrelson as Biden. Ya know I kind of agree with Cookie on how that sketch seems like it was written after the first debates. The Marianne Williamson bits plus I think the only time Kamala Harris has been flirting with the top tier was after the first debates.

Either that or Lorne & The SNL writers are really pulling for the sweet sweet neoliberal policies of Kamala Harris, which tbh is equally likely. Kamala Harris hasn't even been in 4th place in some of the recent polls I've seen but this isn't the Political Folder so I digress.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I was interested to see if or how they would address all the Shane Gillis controversy, but based on that description of the dated Dem Debates sketch, they'll finally get to it in January.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think Woody Harrelson's monologue which was toothless "Gosh, people are so UPTIGHT about language these days!" bit was sort of implicit reference to the Gillis controversy.

Zetterberg is God

Integral Poster
Reaction score
strummer said:
Wow I've never seen a sketch breakdown like that one with Aidy Bryant. Tons of production errors and a stage hand visible on camera. What the hell it is like they weren't prepared for this show or something

Could be just me but have been noticing a lot more technical screwups the last few seasons. I think they went to the wrong camera during the first musical part as well.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Well to anyone who was hoping the Shane Gillis controversy was done, bad news! Norm MacDonald keeps threatening to beat up Seth Simons for getting Shane Gillis fired on Twitter.

I, for one, would like to see 59 year old Norm MacDonald try to physically fight timid SJW and independent comedy journalist Seth Simons. It'd be interesting to see who wins.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Norm MacDonald is a hack.

I loved the guy growing up, but man he's old, washed up, and out of touch.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Norm always leaned towards the right but now he's become a full fledged Christian zealot spewing rhetoric. I'd like to know when he became religious all of a sudden because he used to critical of it back in the 90s. Yeah it sucks for people who grew up as huge fans if his. I don't hate him or whatever now but this shit is indefensible

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Shane Gillis defenders were using that sketch as an example of the comic brilliance we'll be missing with him not on SNL btw. It wasn't funny to me.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Michael Che was also bullying Seth Simons and Megh Wright (using Joker as a metaphor too like Norm. jfc) on Instagram.

Che's a good comedian but he's either extremely dumb and/or has extremely bad judgment and I don't doubt that his SNL run is going to end in ignominious fashion after he pisses off the wrong person.

Like Norm! :)

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
That was the worst episode in quite some time. The first half of the show was essentially “isn’t Jennifer Lopez hot?”

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Oh man Gumby had me howling with laughter. To no surprise Eddie has been great and has elevated the material. Like Sandler last year he blows away this cast in terms of charisma and stage presence. And he's just really fuckng great

Pete Davidson might be my least favorite cast member of all time. What was it with him taking a shot at Daniel Tosh (!?!?) tonight. WTF?!

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah Eddie is still a fantastic performer. All his characters were still really funny. The non Eddie parts stunk. Baldwin's Trump is so awful. And, all the political humor is so bland and milquetoast. Are Jost/Che that giggly and bad with their delivery? They suck as does Pete Davidson.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Eddie was on fire tonight. The old stuff was great. Everything else he did was great. More laugh out loud moments tonight from this show than I can remember having in years. Robinson was great, Gumby was hilarious, the bake off stuff with Eddie was funny as hell, Buckwheat was a little bit of a miss for me. Even got in a shit. Fantastic show tonight.

I always like the Jost and Che write jokes for each other bit for the Christmas show.

The guy that plays Yang is painful to watch in every sketch he’s in.

Time to find someone that can actually do a Trump.

Pete has gone from someone I liked when he was barely on to someone I can’t stand to see anymore.

Also sounded like Strong snuck in a fuck at the end of her weekend update bit.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Mentioned this already but Eddie and Sandler returning and just completely smoking the new cast last couple years just shines a brighter light on their lack of star power. I don't know if any cast in the show's history has felt this starless or bland. Maybe the early 80s casts when Eddie was off filming movies. Ever since the mass exodus after 2012 (Wiig, Samberg, Hader) they've just had no star creation. Kate yes but all her movies have tanked and it's becoming clear she just doesn't have widespread appeal.

But the show wins a bunch of awards and the press loves it now so what the hell. It ain't gonna change

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Even if I don’t like the new shows as much I like the current cast a lot. Seems like when guys like Eddie, Adam, and Will show back up they’re just on another level and it reminds you why you liked them in the first place.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Almost all of the white men blend together for me. I'm someone that maybe watches one or two episodes per season so I can't tell what makes Beck Bennett, Alex Moffat, or Mikey Day stand out from each other. I don't think Kyle Mooney was even on last night. I read they have like 18 cast members these days. I remember when they used to joke on the show about Tim Meadows being there for 8 years. Now everyone stays longer than that. It's turning into WWE where barely anyone gets fired.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://deadline.com/2020/01/buck-henry-dead-saturday-night-live-the-graduate-get-smart-1202825337

Frequent original era host (and writer of The Graduate and co-creator of Get Smart) Buck Henry died of a heart attack today.

One of the great hosts. He played a tremendous straightman for Belushi, Radner, et al to play off of.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Fuck.

Uncle Roy was some classic shit.