Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Soda thread

NoCalMike

Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
Reaction score
Anyone get into the "gourmet" brand rootbeers (and other random sodas) you find usually in the cold beverage sections of grocery stores? Any favs?

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
NoCalMike said:
Anyone get into the "gourmet" brand rootbeers (and other random sodas) you find usually in the cold beverage sections of grocery stores? Any favs?
Mrs. SFH had a brief root beer log going on. World Market had enough different root beers that she was able to do build your own 6 packs in the vein of craft beers. She doesn't have her notes anymore but said she can still identify the labels as to what was good.

DMann1979

Integral Poster
Reaction score
NoCalMike said:

I like Virgil's, those are pretty good.

oldskool

oldskool
Reaction score
Pepsi Fire. I was hoping it was just a remix of their Holiday Spice brand, but no such luck. It's Pepsi with an Atomic Fireball dissolved in it. Has a definite kick to it. Not bad but I don't think I'd get it again.

e: turned my tongue red. p sure there's legitimately atomic fireballs in these things

BlackFlagg

BlackFlagg
Reaction score
oldskool said:
Pepsi Fire. I was hoping it was just a remix of their Holiday Spice brand, but no such luck. It's Pepsi with an Atomic Fireball dissolved in it. Has a definite kick to it. Not bad but I don't think I'd get it again.

e: turned my tongue red. p sure there's legitimately atomic fireballs in these things

I grabbed one of these from the vending machine at work today, the cinnamon flavor seemed pretty low to me, was more of an aftertaste.

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
I got one a couple weeks or so ago and dumped about half of it. Stick with the fruit flavors, PepsiCo. I did like Holiday Spice though.

Staff member
Reaction score
I try never to drink regular cola anymore, but the Pepsi Fire tastes like someone dunked Big Red gum in it. It's p good.

bigolsmitty

stares Trick Daddily
Reaction score
Coke Zero Is Gone Because We Live in a Grim Dystopia in Which Nothing Good Can Exist

Today, citing flagging sales, exciting new product developments, and an apparent desire to be complicit in the ongoing collapse of Western civilization, Coca-Cola announced that it will cease distribution of Coke Zero in the United States beginning in August

http://www.gq.com/story/rip-coke-zero

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
I'm surprised it's being discontinued, it seems p. popular. I wonder what Coke knows and what 'new product developments' they're planning.

bigolsmitty

stares Trick Daddily
Reaction score
Upon further reading, it sounds like it's just a name tweak (Coke Zero Sugar) and a recipe change ("more like Coke"). I don't know how drastic the latter is supposed to be.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I had the new Coke Zero and it's basically a Malibu Stacy now with cowboy hat situation.

It seems a little sweeter, but overall not that much different of a taste. Pretty good overall.

oldskool

oldskool
Reaction score
Coke Zero rules and was the first step in easing me into drinking diet sodas instead of exclusively regulars, so I hope you're right Brocklock.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
The name change is a good bit of branding actually. Including 'zero sugar' in the title and having the whole name sound that seamless will go a long way.

Source:

150516_BB_DraperCocaCola.jpg.CROP.promo-mediumlarge.jpg

Haws Bah Gawd

TRTSM's Color Commentator
Reaction score
A friend that works for Coke said they were told at their weekly meeting today that Diet Coke Mango is going to be a thing next year.

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
Coke freestyle machines are now holding a flavor called “North Pole Magic”, which I assume is their answer to Pepsi’s Holiday Spice. I thought it was pretty good. There’s also Coke Zero Sugar “Arctic Chill”, which I wonder could possibly be an early screening of the aforementioned Diet Coke Mango (seemed to have some orange syrup mixed in there), although someone with better taste buds could probably tell better

oldskool

oldskool
Reaction score
Am I the only fat fuck soda drinker left in this forum?

Pepsi Max is fantastic diet soda. Zero aftertaste. Relatively close to actual Pepsi flavor. New Coke Zero is meh at best.

I found a 20oz of White Out the other day in a Wal-Mart. It's better than I remember it being.
They had an entire soda cooler dedicated to the various 20oz Mt. Dew flavors, including Code Red, Voltage, and Livewire, so I was pretty stoked to see that outside of the tiny convenience stores I usually have to trawl.

The Amazing Rando

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think most everything that isn't Pepsi Max/Cherry/Regular is awful and I don't think I even want to lay eyes on Pepsi with salted caramel in it. Yikes.

White Label Mtn Dew is a bit pricey but damn it's good. That "holiday" Dew is just kinda weird because when you hear that it's just a combo of Code Red and Regular you kinda think "so...they watered down Code Red?" because your brain tells you that Code Red is just regular Dew with a cherry flavor, but it kinda isn't. Also, as with the first statement, those 1800's Pepsi whatevers are total garbage. There's a citrus one and I'm curious but not so curious as to actually put it in my mouth, which was also my high school yearbook quote.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Haven't even seen the Salted Caramel out here. Only holiday drinks I've seen are the Cranberry Sprite. Don't know if Sierra Mist didn't do it this year but I liked the Sierra Mist Cranberry better. My local store still had some of the Crystal Pepsi relaunch recently, so maybe they just don't keep up.

Think my most recent "adventure" was I never had the Dr Pepper Cherry before but loved it when I had some a few weeks ago, just bought some more.

MFer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Trying to limit my pop (I'm a Michigander, it's pop) consumption again, but I did like Holiday Brew Dew a lot.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
We need a subthread of caffeine free sodas. I love soda but was doctor ordered off caffeine b/c I'm too sensitive to the shit and generally too high strung.

I'm still drinking caffeine free nectar known as "Sprite."

oldskool

oldskool
Reaction score
Mt. Dew Ice is pretty much super-powered Sprite. I'm not a huge lemon-lime fan and I'm not sure there's much market for "lemon-lime but with caffeine", but this is decent.

CookieMueller

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I bought a 2 liter of Mountain Dew Ice because it was $1 even though I don't like Mountain Dew. It doesn't taste like Mountain Dew at all to me, all I taste is that awful artificial sweetner even though it DOES have sugar in it too. I ended up throwing it all out. I don't know what I was expecting.

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
Agreed on Mountain Dew Ice, although they recently put a cherry version of it out and it's quite a bit better.

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
It's half regular Dew and half Code Red. Think it was a thing last holidays too. But yeah, what's even the point