Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Star Trek- New movie and various series discussion

ChrisMWaters

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Now is this version of the original series being shown on Netflix the ORIGINAL original series or the REMASTERED Original series from a few years ago, where they made the Enterprise digital and such?

...or did I dream that?

meirslooth

Active Poster
Reaction score
Great movie. For someone who knew nothing about Star Trek, they kept things simple, funny, and fast-paced. Shocked it wasn't sold out on opening night, though!

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
daileyxplanet said:
So I'm taking the plunge and have started downloading the original Star Trek series...

Same. I've never really watched any iteration of Star Trek but for some reason, I've decided to take the plunge and watch the 79 episodes of the original series and all of the movies (well at least, the good ones) featuring the original cast this summer. Then I figure, I'll go onto the The Next Generation and DS9 if I enjoy it. I figure I already like wrestling and Star Wars, might as well complete the descent into nerddom.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Smues, re: prequel - since I can't quote via Blackberry - I thought this was supposed to be a complete reboot and not a prequel and if anything that it was actually an "alternate timeline" as far as the originals go.

Anyway, I'm in the theatre right now waiting for it to start - lots of people before were saying its awesome so I have high hopes.

Sabre

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The copy ive got is awsome, a tad dark during the nero scenes but non the less awsome.

Im an hour through and just witnessed the destruction of vulcan. The film feels like a general in space action flick and more power to it, very good candidate for best trek film.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Honestly, this movie is awesome. I'm not even a fan of Star Trek and this is one I will DEFINITELY buy for my DVD collection. Oh, and definitely not a prequel.

Anakin Flair

Integral Poster
Reaction score
LPM said:
I thought the music was terrible...they played this horrible orchestral theme way too many times, it overpowered the little post-climax scene.

I'll give you this. I like the theme, but they had a bit of what I call the Spider-man 3 syndrome- where you take a theme, and then play it in every single scene instead of composing different music for different scenes.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The thing that sounded like a tuba? Dunnn dun dun dun da da daaaaaa.. yeah, I'll agree with that too. Way too overused. It actually sounded like something I heard in the ending them of Cloverfield..

Speaking of Cloverfield.. anyone else think that giant red monster on the snow planet looked like a red Cloverfield?

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
Any movie that can make John Fuckin' Cho into believable action star and do it effortlessly has my support.

I really enjoyed this. It'll be hard for anything else to top this as the fun action movie of 09.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
I saw this yesterday. I've wouldn't consider myself a Trekkie by any means. I used to watch THE NEXT GENERATION and I've seen some of the original series and a few of the movies. My dad was a huge fan of the original series and TNG and I saw it with him and a few friends that love the show and their parents who love the show. So basically I went with people that if anyone would not like this for reason or another, they would be the ones to criticize it. After walking out, we all LOVED IT. The story was good. It got you to care about these characters. Everyone played their parts PERFECTLY. All the little things about each character were there. I thought that as good as Spock and Kirk were, the supporting characters almost stole the movie for me, especially Karl Urban as McCoy and Simon Pegg as Scotty. I loved this so much, I really can't wait for the next movie. I also got very interested in seeing the original series and original movies.

Obi Chris Kenobi

Personal Text goes here, Venkman
Reaction score
I went to see this with my Girlfriend (who has recently has started to watch Star Trek Voyager from the beginning and enjoyed it). The movie was OK, I enjoyed it, but she pointed out at the end that the whole movie just assumes you know the characters and doesn't build them or explain them to you much at all. I have to say, I think she's right. Outside of a little 1 minute flat thin introduction to Kirk and then Spock, the rest of the characters are just by standers who you can't really get into.

Also the amount of JJ Abrams self love in the movie is annoying as hell. The 'Lost' font pops up all over the place, shots that 'odes' to 'Fringe' 'Lost' 'Alias' aren't needed, and then the Ice Monster that seems to be a close relation to the monster from 'Cloverfield'.

The soundtrack also left me flat, and the only track I enjoyed and felt lifted the movie was the 'Star Trek' one at the end.

Matt Young said:
SYLAR plays Spock.

Actually, Sylar is Spock - the acting style was exactly the same, I've yet seen the guy do anything he hasn't already done outside of his brief 3 minute role in 24 where he had 2 lines and worked with a PC.

Yet despite all that, I still enjoyed it and I'll probably pick it up on Blu-Ray. Though the whole Time Travel thing was a bit odd and it doesn't explain if we're now left in an off shoot timeline from that event (so not in the same timeline as Star Trek lore/Canon) or were back in line with events still to happen (TNG, DS9, VOY, TOS, etc).

McCoy stole the show though.

Sabre

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Spock explained that the events that occured following neros arrival, have started a seperate reality, thus what their lifes may have been are now changed.

Obi Chris Kenobi

Reaction score
Aye, I heard him say that, but I was expect them to have some cheap out when they destroyed the red matter and the mining ship. Either way that's very cheap by JJ Abrams so he can have a pet project Star Trek franchise to foil with now too.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
For someone who never cared for Star Trek, I thought the movie was very good. I agree with Karl Urban as McCoy being one of the highlights. The only thing I sort of disliked was Tyler Perry's role. It's good to see that the movie is good enough so that non-fans can get into it.

D

Dr. Zaius

Obi Chris Kenobi said:
Aye, I heard him say that, but I was expect them to have some cheap out when they destroyed the red matter and the mining ship. Either way that's very cheap by JJ Abrams so he can have a pet project Star Trek franchise to foil with now too.
That kind of the whole point of doing the movie, though, right? Paramount wanted to start over?

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Epic Reine said:
For someone who never cared for Star Trek, I thought the movie was very good. I agree with Karl Urban as McCoy being one of the highlights. The only thing I sort of disliked was Tyler Perry's role. It's good to see that the movie is good enough so that non-fans can get into it.

Is this the first time that Perry was in a movie that everyone could enjoy?

Obi Chris Kenobi

Reaction score
Dr. Zaius said:
Obi Chris Kenobi said:
That kind of the whole point of doing the movie, though, right? Paramount wanted to start over?

And its a cheap and lazy thing to do, to disregard anything that happened before it in a way.

Exslade ZX

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Obi Chris Kenobi said:
Dr. Zaius said:
Obi Chris Kenobi said:

And its a cheap and lazy thing to do, to disregard anything that happened before it in a way.
To add on to the above comment, what's the point of a reboot if they're just going follow the exact same story as the previous versions? Not to mention, it would have been a 'cheap out' if they had changed the plot of the movie and reverted back to the original timeline, but it's also a cheap out that they stuck with the alternate timeline explanation?

I personally think they explained quite well why this reality is different from the original, and if the point of the movie was indeed to make a Star Trek movie that 'everyone could see and enjoy' I think they did the it well. And if they tried to follow the formula of show/previous movies to the tee I think the portion of unsatisfied viewers would be larger.

D

Dr. Zaius

Thanks to the last few 15 years, Star Trek continuity had become such a mess that the series' writers couldn't even follow it anymore. Despite the reshaped timeline, its still the same universe, so it gives future writers the freedom to keep what worked. This is not a complete reimagining, but a chance to relive the original series without all the messy continuity issues. I have absolutely no complaints about this movie.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Am I the only one that would watch if all the actors signed on to make a new STAR TREK show? The cast worked so well with each other I'm looking forward to the next movie.

Twisted Intestine

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I haven't seen it yet, but look at all of the people who never liked/never watched Star Trek (like me) who say they loved the movie. If they wanted to reboot the series, you're always going to have the trekkies, but it seems like they will now make a ton of more fans who will be willing to follow along.

Anakin Flair

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Dr. Zaius said:
I would love a tv show based on this cast.

Normally I'd say no to this, because there would be no way a TV show could match the production values of a feature film... but seeing how far CGI ahs come over the past few years on TV (Stargate, Battlestar Galactica), I think they could actually pull it off.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
Just got back. Just remove Star Trek from the title and I really liked it (minus some stupid stuff at the beginning.) I'll just assume that this becomes an alternate reality timeline technobabble thing, because otherwise everything that happened on 28? seasons of television shows didn't happen, making the shows meaningless and fucking everything up.

Also, The Beastie Boys, Nokia, and Budweiser in a Star Trek movie? Hmm. Just call this JJ Abram's space battle movie and I love it.