Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Star Trek- New movie and various series discussion

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
:( Well, my hopes that it wouldn't be all out action just went out the window. *sigh*

BorneAgain

Integral Poster
Reaction score
http://deadline.com/2015/03/harve-bennett-dies-star-trek-movie-producer-1201387026/

Not gonna be a big deal with the general public, but having read a lot about the making of the ST films, Bennett really deserves some credit for saving the franchise from both disposable sequels and the batshit crazy plots Roddenberry wanted to do. The franchise owes a lot to both him and Nicholas Meyer for re energizing the series after the bloated mess that was TMP.

Jingus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
They took 13 paragraphs to basically say "there's gonna be a new Trek show... and we have absolutely NO other details to share at this time". Press releases are the fucking worst.

The new show's runner is Alex Kurtzman, which also doesn't exactly fill me with anticipation. He's written THREE Michael Bay movies (including Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, the dirty cocksucker) and most of his other credits aren't things that I find impressive.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Jingus said:
They took 13 paragraphs to basically say "there's gonna be a new Trek show... and we have absolutely NO other details to share at this time". Press releases are the fucking worst.
Sign o' the times. TV shows take an hour to tell you a 5-minute story, movies cram an entire franchise's worth of information into a 2-hour block, and a property that was just as much about political maneuvering as it was a hammy actor sticking his dick in green strange is now going to be a generic action property.

BlackFlagg

BlackFlagg
Reaction score
Well that didn't take long...

http://nypost.com/2015/11/02/cbs-is-already-ruining-the-star-trek-tv-reboot/

First, “Star Trek” isn’t coming back to mainstream TV. No, Captain — it’s being banished to a doggone streaming service.

Sure, there’s nothing wrong with Netflix, Amazon Prime or Hulu — “Orange Is the New Black” and “Transparent” are terrific shows you can only catch on those services. And I reckon most TV watchers already subscribe to one of them.

But the final frontier is apparently something called CBS All Access. That’s where the new untitled “Star Trek” series will call home, a CBS-only streaming service no one uses that costs users a whopping $5.99 a month.

BorneAgain

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I cut the first film a break with the action stuff because I knew they had to attract a wide audience, and even with the second film understood there were certain plot and character elements they felt they had to do to just get them out of the way, but the third film of the reboot looking like this... I might just end up sticking with the new TV series.

Rendclaw

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah... I'm not down with this either. This is getting further and further away from what Star Trek is with each movie. It's a pity, because I like the cast.

Jingus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Rendclaw said:
Yeah... I'm not down with this either. This is getting further and further away from what Star Trek is with each movie. It's a pity, because I like the cast.
This. And someone should tell them it's not cool to blow up the Enterprise in the third new movie just because they blew it up in the third old movie.

Jingus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
What point? That even if you try to edit it down to its silliest moments and use the same anachronistic song, Wrath of Khan still looks exponentially more dramatic and weighty than the new film?

Captain of Outer Space

reaching for the sky just to surrender
Reaction score
This is probably more Games and Tech but...

I'm actually into the story and premise of Star Trek Online. It is largely "shoot this thing until you win" based, which is totally not Trek, but it just wrapped up a pretty ambitious story arc
(You're teaming with SELA to fight the ICONIANS at the end.)
that encapsulates elements from all five series and a handful of the films.

Rendclaw

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm down for that.

I love STO but its too gear heavy, where to really succeed in the later chapters, you have to get ship and character gear sets... and if you take more than say a month off of the game, the stuff you use with your ships does not work anymore.

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
Imagine winning the lottery of life and being a rich, young, handsome and influential member of the Hollywood elite then realizing you are about to die by being crushed by your own car because you left it in neutral.

BlackFlagg

BlackFlagg
Reaction score
http://nerdist.com/gene-roddenberrys-star-trek-movie-had-admiral-kirk-fighting-jesus/

"Later this month, Star Trek Beyond will become the 13th Star Trek feature film, but bringing the franchise to the big screen wasn’t always an easy process. In the ’70s, it almost didn’t happen at all. Some of series creator Gene Roddenberry‘s ideas for the initial Trek movie were far wilder than anything in Star Trek: The Motion Picture. For starters, one of Roddenberry’s early pitches would have placed Admiral James T. Kirk in conflict with Jesus Christ.

That revelation came from The Hollywood Reporter‘s excerpt from Edward Gross and Mark. A. Altman’s upcoming book, The Fifty-Year Mission: The Complete Uncensored, Unauthorized Oral History of Star Trek – The First 25 Years. As initially envisioned by Roddenberry, Admiral Kirk and the former crew of the Enterprise would be reunited when an entity heading for Earth claimed to be God. And of course, one of the forms that God would take was the familiar image of Jesus Christ."

BorneAgain

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Roddenberry had all sorts of wacky ideas his producers and writers either ignored or talked him out of. "The God Thing", AKA the Enterprise encounters God movie concept was something he kicked around around ever since TOS went off the air. He supposedly kept lobbying for one of the TOS films to involve the crew going back in time on Earth to undo the Klingons preventing JFK's assassination (which somehow led to them reigning supreme in the 23rd century). The would end with Spock shooting Kennedy himself to restore the timeline.

Gene was an odd guy.

BorneAgain

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Trailer for Discovery finally dropped

https://youtu.be/4dxe_ugmIVM

A little too JJVerse in its aesthetics for my taste (see lens flare and Klingons' appearance), but intriguing in parts.

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score
It looks ok I guess but i have no interest in a star trek series that is set in the past. If it isn't set after DS9 I probably won't watch. I'm still sad we never got any DS9 movies and instead got increasingly terrible TNG movies.

edit: nevermind just saw the klingons and lol fuck that.

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score
I wasn't going to watch this but 909 convinced me and the first two episodes were pretty good. I still don't like it being a prequel but if it's going to have this much action it could be fun.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I watched the first two episodes but watched them at like 2 a.m. while tired. So I'm going to have to rewatch them.