Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Stupid Bullshit - Any and all Discussion of Hinder, Nickelback, etc goes here

Haws Bah Gawd

TRTSM's Color Commentator
Reaction score
Hinder fired their frontman because he couldn't stay out of rehab.

Three Days Grace's frontman quit several months ago because he had "non-life-threatening" medical issues, only to immediately announce he was forming a solo project.

This exists:

best_of.jpg

I don't hate Nickelback nearly as much as the rest of the internet. I have fond memories of Leader of Men. But, there you have it, regardless.

Skywarp!

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Nickelback sucks, sure. But it's annoying at how the band (along with Creed) is just a lazy shorthand for "bad taste" when discussing music. For instance, if you're on a band's message board and offer a criticism of a new album, you'll get the fanboy reply, "THEN GO LISTEN TO NICKELBACK AND CREED RECORDS!!!" in an attempt to discredit the other's opinion and shut down the whole conversation. As if the chasm between Band A and Nickelback/Creed didn't exist. "Hey, I didn't like this; I must be a Nickelback fan." Sure.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
You know what, for as much crap as Creed gets, I have to admit that Mark Tremonti is a pretty damn good guitarist.

There, I said it.

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Going to Beef 'O' Brady's and diggin' on Nickelback. The Bro Lifestyle of Gainesville has finally taken root.

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Byron cruisin' down University Avenue headin' to the Beef's, blasting

http://youtu.be/DmeUuoxyt_E

and thinkin' about those sliders he's gonna eat and that pitcher of Bud Light he's gonna drink.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I've gained an unironic appreciation of Nickelback recently. I wouldn't go see them live or buy an album but they're good at what they do.

Now some of their knockoffs (like the other bands mentioned in the OP) are legitimately awful. Butt rock isn't one of my favorite genres but Creed and Nickelback are obviously the best at what they do.

You know what's a goddamn awful band of this genre that I was just reminded of (because they just came to Maine a few months back with maybe one original member that wasn't the singer)...Saliva! I wish I could forget about them but whenever I watch a WWE PPV from the '00s, they do the theme like 60% of the time!

Haws Bah Gawd

Reaction score
Creed's 2009 album, Full Circle, is actually really good. Not good by Creed standards, but just good in general and worth a listen. Mark Tremonti's solo album from 2012 is also quite good and he's actually an above-average vocalist.

I've just always found it funny that some of the same people that bash Creed, will turn around and suck off Alter Brige. I like both bands pretty equally.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Nature Boy said:
Nymyzys said:
I've just always found it funny that some of the same people that bash Creed, will turn around and suck off Alter Brige.

Yeah man, that really gets me too.
It's because Alter Bridge didn't rely on "clean opening, FEEDBACK, decent rock riff ruined by Scott Stapp's very presence" for every song.

Laz

Reaction score
http://www.allbuttrock.com/culture/3

The Ten Commandments of Buttrock
1. Thou shalt have no other gods before Scott Stapp.

2. Remember the power chord to keep it holy.

3. Thou shalt not covet thy lead singer's cross tattoo.

4. Thou shalt sing with no regard to consonants.

5. Thou shalt perfect thy amp stance, from which cometh thy strength.

6. If not a perm, then a style that looks like one.

7. Thou shalt infuse thy lyrics with vaguely Christian themes.

8. Thou shalt own no less than 5 black wifebeaters.

9. Thou shalt choose a band name which reflects the grit and angst in thy soul.

10. Thou shalt harmonize only in a guttural manner and only with bros you trust.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Laz said:
Nature Boy said:
Nymyzys said:
I've just always found it funny that some of the same people that bash Creed, will turn around and suck off Alter Brige.

Yeah man, that really gets me too.
It's because Alter Bridge didn't rely on "clean opening, FEEDBACK, decent rock riff ruined by Scott Stapp's very presence" for every song.

Myles Kennedy is also a legit good rock vocalist. It's a little silly that one would hate one and like the other but it's not completely ludicrous.

You know what band I'm surprised doesn't get Creed levels of hate? Slipknot. They combine all of the worst aspects of Metallica and KISS. There are very, very few bands I hate or can't mount some sort of half hearted defense for(I even occasionally enjoy the Insane Clown Posse. The Insane Clown Posse, PEOPLE) and they're one of them.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Slipknot are in the same boat as Creed. Mediocre band with one amazing musician (Slipknot's case being Joey Jordison).

Rendclaw

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Nickelback is fucking harmless and always has been. I went to a show at the Joe back in 2006 where it was all similar bands and my girlfriend and I were among the oldest there who didn't have kids, and all the kids were using cell phone screens rather than lighters for the ballads. They're just straight up modern rock bands who are cool to hate, to make judgemental douchebags' own tastes in music look better, and jealousy of these bands' successes.

Hell another band who got this treatment (and still got it until very recently when it suddenly became cool to like them) was Rush, who got fucked with for the better part of 40 years until 2010 more or less, when they put out their documentary. This kind of thing is nothing new. Every so often a band comes along that for one reason or another, people just love to hate for no good reason.

Haws Bah Gawd

Reaction score
Slipknot was a big part of my rebellious teens, so I listen to them with nostalgia earphones more than anything. Their drummer is one hilariously talented individual.

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score
Years ago, I'd get angry whenever I'd hear a Creed or Nickelback song. Nowadays the only band that boils my blood is Train.

Re: Rush-They were one of several Progressive Rock bands (including Emerson, Lake and Palmer and Yes) who used to be "cool" to hate. I think ELP are the only ones who still get flack.

Laz

Reaction score
Slipknot escape it because they weren't ripping off Pearl Jam but forgetting that "credibility" thing. Joey Jordison being an insanely talented drummer certainly helps, as well, and an argument can be made that they're the ones really responsible for the semi-mainstream acceptance of extreme metal from the early 00's. Mick Thompson is also an underrated and underutilized guitarist to boot, and I think Corey Taylor gets shit on unjustly when it comes to his versatility as a vocalist. Basically, they were a gimmick band that struck at just the right time and (purposefully) spaced out their releases enough to make them always seem fresh in the mainstream rock world.

That they also sounded very different from their "nu-metal" contemporaries (with maybe only System of a Down coming close to the level of intensity) doesn't hurt their case. I think 90% of their stuff is shit, but I'll admit that a lot of their songs would be great metal tunes if they didn't rely on sing-song choruses that completely change the feel. To put it further, they're basically a child's introduction to real metal, similar to how Motley Crue was in the 80's.

Rendclaw said:
Hell another band who got this treatment (and still got it until very recently when it suddenly became cool to like them) was Rush, who got fucked with for the better part of 40 years until 2010 more or less, when they put out their documentary. This kind of thing is nothing new. Every so often a band comes along that for one reason or another, people just love to hate for no good reason.
The big difference was that Rush was popular for being amazing on a technical level. Nickelback are popular for being lowest common denominator tripe. They are the Journey of their generation: completely manufactured, soulless, and disposable bubblegum pop rock of the era that went from virtually beloved by all to the butt (rock) of every joke, and then nostalgia will kick in and people will listen to them because it's "fun."

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, in twenty years, people will look back at Creed and Nickelback the same way, we look at Journey and Styx now. Still hated by critics and music snobs but beloved by the masses.

Although, Journey is better than Nickelback in every facet of the imagination. Songwriting, playing, vocals, etc. And I'm pretty sure BUTT is going to have a stroke when he reads Laz comparing them.

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score
Journey never wrote anything near as bad as "Something In Your Mouth" or "Rockstar"

Laz

Reaction score
Journey are most definitely a better band than Nickelback. I won't even attempt to argue that. They're still fucking terrible and many people felt that way up until a few years ago.

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score
They don't get that much hate anymore, but I still remember Stone Temple Pilots being a punching bag. Also, I will defend "Purple", "Tiny Music" and "No. 4" to the grave.

Laz

Reaction score
STP's issue is that they never had their own sound. Some songs sound like Nirvana, some sound like Alice in Chains, some sound like Pearl Jam, etc.

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score
I agree with that assessment when it comes to "Core", but I think afterwards they started to step out of that and take influences from 70's rock and the like.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's fine for bands to display their influences but STP is way too obvious in cribbing from people. They never had their own sound. Their catalogue was somewhat diverse but everything sounded like somebody else. The same thing I'd say is true of Lenny Kravitz, who is another person on a lot of my friends "Most Hated Rock Singers/Bands lists" although I personally never thought he was that bad.

The thing that bothers me most about modern rock as opposed to the arena rock bands of the past is there is really no sense of joy. I don't expect all music (or even the majority) of music to be positive but a lot of the popular rock bands of the past seemed to have something resembling a sense of humor. You could tell bands like KISS, Van Halen, and Motley Crue were having fun and loved what they did but for Nickelback, Creed, Stone Temple Pilots, etc. snorting coke and fucking strippers seems like part of the job and they're just punching a clock like they worked at a bank.

Laz

Reaction score
King Kamala said:
The thing that bothers me most about modern rock as opposed to the arena rock bands of the past is there is really no sense of joy. I don't expect all music (or even the majority) of music to be positive but a lot of the popular rock bands of the past seemed to have something resembling a sense of humor. You could tell bands like KISS, Van Halen, and Motley Crue were having fun and loved what they did but for Nickelback, Creed, Stone Temple Pilots, etc. snorting coke and fucking strippers seems like part of the job and they're just punching a clock like they worked at a bank.
THIS.

Rendclaw

Integral Poster
Reaction score
People fucking LOVED Journey back in the early to mid 80s. I think they became something to make fun of when Steve Perry couldn't sing anymore, and they hired a Filipino lead singer of a Journey cover band.

And Kamala, you hit it on the head, but they were just following the blueprints of the bands that came before.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
It was WAY before that man. Once "Don't Stop Believing" became a staple in bars, people couldn't resist writing them off. If you ask even the most casual music listener if they know any Journey songs, the only one they can always name is that one (or "Any Way You Want It" but that's another story...).

Laz

Reaction score
The only Journey song I like is "Separate Ways." The intro, the build, the way the music has a sense of urgency that Steve Perry's voice perfectly accents, the hilarious video...it may be the perfect pop rock song.