Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Stupid Bullshit - Any and all Discussion of Hinder, Nickelback, etc goes here

Haws Bah Gawd

TRTSM's Color Commentator
Reaction score
I saw Breaking Benjamin in 2010, and wasn't expecting much but it was honestly one of the best shows I've ever seen. They were opening for Three Days Grace, but they set an impossible precedent. TDG was actually not bad even though I'm not a huge fan. They earned bonus points for playing the Apocalyptica song, "I Don't Care".

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score
King Kamala said:
Nymyzys said:
Seether hooked me with "Gasoline". I dig them quite a bit.

When I saw that beauty queen
Watched her paint her face on
I wanna be the one unclean
That she wipes her ass on

Out of all the bands mentioned in this thread, I think Seether might be the worst. Just terrible, joyless (and tuneless and soulless) drivel. My cousin who has the most questionable taste in music I've ever encountered (he's a big defender of Van Halen III and nu-metal era Vanilla Ice) went to a Seether/Trapt concert in '03/'04 and said Seether was the worst band he's ever seen. That was quite the damning statement to me.
Seether are like the ultimate soundtrack for disturbed men who harbor violent revenge fantasies towards women. As awful as Nickelback are, they at least sound like they want you to have fun. Seether is music by horrible people for horrible people.

Re: Drowning Pool-I remember after 9/11, a lot of radio stations banned the song "Bodies". Which is fine by me because the band (and the song) always sounded like Nu Metal taken to it's knuckle dragging next level.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
King Kamala said:
My cousin who has the most questionable taste in music I've ever encountered (he's a big defender of Van Halen III and nu-metal era Vanilla Ice)

I'm not a defender of Van Halen III, but I do (or did) own V-Ice's Hard to Swallow on CD. I paid a few bucks for it at a used CD shop over ten years ago for the lolz, and it didn't disappoint. Ice's lyrics are as hilarious as you'd expect ("what ya tryin' to do, make the ice melt? Don't you know my cream is good for your health?) but Ross Robinson's production is actually about as good as nu-metal gets, since he had to work extra-hard to get something out of an artist who brings nothing to the table. So while it's probably one of the most awesomely bad albums I've ever heard, there are elements of it that I like non-ironically. Also, after all these years I can still recite some of Ice's verses from memory.

Here it is, a dope hit, Ice man comin' with a dope hit, cuz a few suckers need their throats slit, jealous cuz I went multi-platinum, now I'm gonna blast you in the head 'til you're dead with my Magnum lyrics, might be simplistic, but I'm no simp on the strength cuz I know how to pimp it, now I got grip and suckers keep sinking in my quicksand, Vanilla Ice vocal hitman, got the number three in my crosshairs, sittin' on the rooptop BOP BOP BOP and you fools drop, "Pop Goes The Weasel"* was a big fl-flop-flop, press didn't like your records cuz it wasn't hip hop-hop, but this ain't a dis cuz you sold gold, still I made a killin' cuz it ain't even a tenth of 11 million, givin' my rhymes spice, my DJ's on the slice, Vanilla Ice is back on the map with the wrath of the ICE KING

* Scratching is played in lieu of the phrase "Pop Goes the Weasel" for unknown reasons. Upon doing some research, I learned that this verse, which is the first verse on Hard to Swallow, originally appeared on Ice's second album, the one after To The Extreme where he tried to sound like Cypress Hill. In that version "Pop Goes the Weasel" was not removed, but it was also much closer to when the beef with 3rd Bass occurred. By '98, that feud was old hat, and perhaps the reference to the song was removed, so as not to alert the discerning rap-metal fan that the lyrics were recycled from a previous recording.

FAKE EDIT: Looking up the lyrics online I learned that it's actually "brothers didn't like your record," not "press," which, let's face it, is pretty rich coming from Rob Van Winkle.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
Update: I'm listening to Hard to Swallow right now.

Skywarp!

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This Drowning Pool parody makes me laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi62oqIWdME

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
That loses its appeal after the first chorus...but oh holy hell I think the burn is that much harsher because they did the entire song.

Haws Bah Gawd

Reaction score
Chad Kroeger would appear to be morphing into Nicolas Cage....

cal0815-tr3b_28039541.jpg

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
You know what band I took a liking to in the early 2000's, that were famous for five minutes, and have fallen off the face of the earth? Default.

"Wasting My Time" was a modest hit for them but this was actually the highlight of their first album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwr3KsF2n4Y

The record was produced by Chad Kroeger :(

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
VANILLA ICE - HOT SEX said:
It's funny that's like at best (worst?) only the third most embarrassing moment of his musical career is pretty amazing.

(#1 is the covers album he did where he un-ironically covered "Buffalo Soldier")

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score
King Kamala said:
It's funny that's like at best (worst?) only the third most embarrassing moment of his musical career is pretty amazing.

(#1 is the covers album he did where he un-ironically covered "Buffalo Soldier")
Also, this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CJmu57Z3IQ

This thread is reminding me of Saliva. I've mentioned this before, but one of the band members is a registered sex offender.

Haws Bah Gawd

Reaction score
HSJ said:
Bro Clock said:
Another dull song I remember WWE overplaying was this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE_0m5OkyN4

that lead singer's face is so punchable.

TRUSTcompany was my favorite band when I was 15. Then they released a second album that sucked. Then they changed their name and I never heard from them again.

TRUSTcompany's second album was alright. They did an interesting cover of "Rock the Casbah". In 2003, I took a video editing class in college. My final project was a WWE highlight video with "Downfall" for the background music. I don't remember which particular clips I used, but I a few of the skaters in my glass were about to bust a nut when the video was over, wanting to know what the song was.

I looked them up and they released a new album as TRUSTcompany in 2011. went ahead and downloaded it, and.....its a TRUSTcompany album. I haven't heard the screamer yet, but it's really not terrible.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
gift talk 2000 said:
This thread is reminding me of Saliva. I've mentioned this before, but one of the band members is a registered sex offender.
I brought them up earlier in the thread because they came to Maine about 3-4 months back.

I remember liking them slightly more than most of their butt rock brethren because I was deeply entrenched in my "Classic Rock That Rocks" phase in the early to mid '00s and they toured as an opening act for a couple of the dinosaur rock acts (I'm pretty sure they opened the Aerosmith/KISS tour that my parents wouldn't let me to go and I know they've toured with Motley Crue) and convinced myself they were a bit of a throwback. But really, those guys were just a slightly heavier version of Devil Without a Cause era Kid Rock.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
gift talk 2000 said:
King Kamala said:

Also, this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CJmu57Z3IQ

He can hang out with the lead singer of Lostprophets who was arrested recently for admitting to molesting children.

Haws Bah Gawd

Reaction score
Slipknot's drummer has officially announced he has quit the band. Go do your Stone Sour bullshit, Corey.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Bro Clock said:
Another dull song I remember WWE overplaying was this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE_0m5OkyN4

that lead singer's face is so punchable.
My biggest memory of TRUSTCompany is that they looked/acted more like a mid '00s screamo band than an early '00s butt rock band. If they came out three years later, they might have ripped off Fall Out Boy instead of KoRn.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
RE: STP

The similarities are there sure, but I always thought STP got a bit of a bad rep in the early-mid 90's. Any non-big four rock band that dropped during the height of grunge was automatically dismissed as Nirvana/Pearl Jam-lite.

Take Silverchair for example. Were labeled Nirvana rip-offs right from the start but had their own sound. I'll go on record and say that their third album, "Neon Ballroom" was one of my favorite albums of the 90's.

When it comes to riding on the coattails of grunge, I think the biggest offender might be Candlebox (who, I admittedly do enjoy and think "You" and "Best Friend" are great songs) though I think an argument could even be made that they were doing their own thing.

This kind of thing still happens today when a legitimately good record drops that happens to have similarities of a popular sound but is quickly dismissed as trying to cash in on the flavor of the month.

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score
Ugh, Candlebox. If you ask me, their mix of grunge and shitty buttrock was more than likely a bigger influence on Creed and their ilk than Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains etc. were. Awful band.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
http://youtu.be/-qcZ9M-QoOc
I just remembered this video late last night/in the early hours of this morning and woke up terrified and angry. God dammit. Why does this exist???

Haws Bah Gawd

Reaction score
I like the song. I am a sucker for a ballad no matter how cheesy. My question is with Jason Alexander being in the video.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
You know what band I might hate just as much as I hate Seether? Puddle of Mudd. "Blurry" and "She Hates Me" would both be in my personal list of Worst Songs of the '00s.

I was at a sub shop and Nickelback's "Rock Star" came on the alt rock station playing over the P.A. and me and at least two of the workers there were mouthing along to the lyrics. 8)

Haws Bah Gawd

Reaction score
"Blurry" is one of the few Puddle of Mudd songs that I actually like. Fuck "She Hates Me", though. "Spaceship" was pretty enjoyable due to the lyrics being ridiculous. "LET'S GET IT OVER AND JUST GET NAKED! I'M A HOLY ROLLER AND I OWN A SPACESHIP!"

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I liked "She Hates Me" the first go around...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFzsv4SoMVk

Haws Bah Gawd

Reaction score
LMFAO!!!!!!!! OH MY GOD! I'm a Seether fan and all, but that's fucking hilarious! SEETHER TOO, HAS BEAT METALLICA TO A CAREER-SPANNING BEST-OF!

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/09/find-out-which-of-your-friends-likes-nickelback-with-one-click/
My friend posted this link on my wall because apparently, I'm a fan of Nickelback. How drunk was I clicked that "like" button? I'll admit to enjoying a few of their power ballads but still...